TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
amark

Free Amazon Video On Demand With Amazon Prime!!!

Interesting-Competition with Netflix. Sign up with Amazon Prime for $79 that gives you free 2 day shipping and get Video On Demand for Free.
Sweet Deal!!!

http://www.webtvwire.com/amazon-prim...vies-tv-shows/
amark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
shorties

Yay this is awesome, now I cant wait to get this feature on my tivo in 2014!
shorties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorties View Post
Yay this is awesome, now I cant wait to get this feature on my tivo in 2014!
Amazon Video On Demand is already available on all of the TiVo platforms, and has been for years.

Free streaming for Prime users is an interesting offering. I poked around but wasn't able to find any free content, so if this is being tested I'm not in the test group.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
shorties

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Amazon Video On Demand is already available on all of the TiVo platforms, and has been for years.

Free streaming for Prime users is an interesting offering. I poked around but wasn't able to find any free content, so if this is being tested I'm not in the test group.
Yeah, well we will see if the free streaming applies to the TiVo, my guess will be that it will at the very least require an update from TiVo, and that's being if Amazon's licenses allow it to be streamed to devices at all. (Especially considering the TiVo would need to download it not stream it). But obviously I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong, I am a huge Amazon Prime fan, so adding functionality can only be a good thing.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The TiVo doesn't have to download it; it could work like Netflix (Series 3+ only).

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:42 AM   #6
shorties

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The TiVo doesn't have to download it; it could work like Netflix (Series 3+ only).
Oh thats totally true. But that still would require an update because none of the Amazon digital purchases work like that currently.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
shwru980r

It costs $79 per year for a prime membership. It's hardly free. The Netflix streaming only option is $86 per year. Maybe they could just treat these free streaming titles like a free rental for Tivo, and download the movie and delete it after a period of time.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

read the engadget article - this is not an officially released feature yet.

Quote:
Update: We weren't able to pull up the option on any of our Prime-enabled accounts and from the comments it doesn't appear any of you were either. According to our tipster, the option has disappeared from his page as well. One other interesting note came from commenter vfiz, who found that several variations of the primeinstantvideos.com domain name were registered by Amazon-owned DPReview January 5.
or just go to the thread already started on this

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 01-30-2011 at 07:47 AM.
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorties View Post
Oh thats totally true. But that still would require an update because none of the Amazon digital purchases work like that currently.
It would require a new HME app, but probably not a TiVo software update. (It's an important distinction, because they can update HME apps a lot more easily, without the tedious roll-out process they use for the software on the box.)

Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
fyodor

There doesn't seem to be a high correlation between the potential for a feature to be integrated on Tivos and it actually being integrated. Device-to-device streaming of copy-protected TV is much more of a core function and that doesn't appear to be on the horizon. Vudu has been out for years and we can't get that.

This isn't a complaint or a rant. The situation is what it is. And I think that it's neat that amazon may be doing this. But I wouldn't really expect it to be made available any time soon on your Tivo.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
innocentfreak

It would most likely be no different than Netflix streaming so it would probably be pretty easy to add.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
It costs $79 per year for a prime membership. It's hardly free. The Netflix streaming only option is $86 per year. Maybe they could just treat these free streaming titles like a free rental for Tivo, and download the movie and delete it after a period of time.

Anyone with a .edu email address or Mom's can get a free Prime account.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
It's "free" in the sense that many of us find the 2-day "free" shipping and 1-day discounted shipping from Amazon Prime membership of sufficient value to already warrant the $79 annual expense. This then becomes something of an extra bonus.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
innocentfreak

I have never paid a penny for Prime. Mine currently ends in July 2011.

It helps to have family who are moms and use subscribe and save since it extends the free promotion.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

fyodor, what you say is true, but I'm optimistic about this one -- only because Amazon has an established relationship with TiVo.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
chemosh6969

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Mom can actually be a dad too.
chemosh6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #17
vectorcatch

So now that Amazon Prime Instant Video is out (http://www.amazon.com/Video-On-Deman...&node=16261631) I was about to sign up to try it out, but then I decided to look at the support page first.

TiVo has an * beside it indicating it is not currently supported for the Amazon Prime Instant Streaming Service. Now, assuming streaming is required due to whatever contracts are in place, this makes sense based on the fact the TiVo downloads and does not stream Amazon content.

My question is, whose problem is this to solve (Beyond being mine if I want to use the service). Do we need to rely on TiVo to turn on streaming for Amazon or Amazon to suddenly allow downloads for the prime service?

Also does anyone have any additional info on this from TiVo or Amazon?
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #18
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Yeah, this will be of little use to me unless it is integrated with Tivo.

Do you have a link to the support page on Amazon that states it isn't currently supported by the Tivo?

Last edited by brettatk : 02-22-2011 at 08:24 AM.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #19
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

If this doesn't work on your Tivo now, it probably isn't going to (and I would guess if it ever does it's only going to work on the new boxes).
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #20
vectorcatch

Link with * indicating not currently on TiVo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/..._rd_i=16261631
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #21
shorties

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorcatch View Post
So now that Amazon Prime Instant Video is out (http://www.amazon.com/Video-On-Deman...&node=16261631) I was about to sign up to try it out, but then I decided to look at the support page first.

TiVo has an * beside it indicating it is not currently supported for the Amazon Prime Instant Streaming Service. Now, assuming streaming is required due to whatever contracts are in place, this makes sense based on the fact the TiVo downloads and does not stream Amazon content.

My question is, whose problem is this to solve (Beyond being mine if I want to use the service). Do we need to rely on TiVo to turn on streaming for Amazon or Amazon to suddenly allow downloads for the prime service?

Also does anyone have any additional info on this from TiVo or Amazon?
We still haven't seen Hulu Plus released for the TiVo Premiere, I am not holding my breath for Amazon any time soon.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #22
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Link with * indicating not currently on TiVo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/..._rd_i=16261631
Thanks. I was on there earlier but missed the * under the picture.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #23
kb7oeb

If you could use the current app and have the video download at best quality rather than stream I'd subscribe.
kb7oeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #24
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I can see it on my Prime account. Lots of movies I'm interested in and can stream to my DirecTV HR21.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #25
Xiidaen

Note: Note for 'free' prime members

I like the idea of Amazon expanding prime benefits (they've been working on giving a kindle to Prime members for a while now) ... but this is for 1) US and 2) paid PRIME members only.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/22/a...eaming-for-pr/
Xiidaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #26
SRAINESS

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I can see it on my Prime account. Lots of movies I'm interested in and can stream to my DirecTV HR21.
? HR21 ?
SRAINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #27
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

One more in the endless, endless parade of TiVo/MPAA near misses AKA "Soon...but...almost...Not YOU!."
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #28
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Either one would do. However, Amazon may (or may not) be contractually obligated to offer the service only by streaming, in which case it could only be solved by TiVo.

Personally, I prefer downloading so if there's no contractual obligation then I'd love for Amazon to simply allow downloads (treat them just like rentals, but free).
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #29
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I've read that the streaming will not be available to people who have one of these free Prime accounts - only those who paid for it.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
reedog117

Smile amazon streaming is still free on free prime accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
I've read that the streaming will not be available to people who have one of these free Prime accounts - only those who paid for it.
Actually it shows up fine for me on amazon's website, and I do have one of those free .edu Prime accounts.

It stinks that TiVo doesn't already support it... I guess we'll see when I get home tonight whether it works already on my Sony Blu-ray player.
reedog117 is offline   Reply With Quote