TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #31
deandashl

It's not going to matter what anyone thinks about Piers Morgan or his interviewing skills. Tick-Tick-Tick goes the clock on him.

I'm confused why CNN thought changing the interviewer would do anything for the show.

If you REALLY want your ratings to change, you have to actually CHANGE something.

For THAT DON GUY...

a. At the end of this last week PM is down to Parker/Spitzer(SP?) numbers about 500K. That's a drop from 2 mil debut. While Fox does about 2 mil to 3.2 mil during primetime, depending on the show.
b. Why not? Everyone KNOWS Ryan Seacrest. Not that I would watch.

Last edited by deandashl : 01-30-2011 at 08:08 AM.
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #32
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Just because *you* don't watch the show doesn't mean that tons and tons of other people don't. It gets huge ratings.
I am aware of that. As I said, I know it has fans.

But it still doesn't make him a household name. Most people have heard of Simon Cowell even if they don't watch AI. Most people have heard of Oprah even if they have never seen an episode of her show. Their fame transcends their show. Thus, they are famous.

Piers Morgan, not so much. Far from it. Hence all the jokes from all the late night comics re: "Who the hell is he?" He is not well known in the culture at large. In fact, he's mostly unheard of. But his attitude seems to indicate that he's unaware of that, or thinks that his stint on the talent show has made him as famous as Simon.
Magnolia88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #33
whitson77
Director Level

I'm glad he is failing. He comes off like an ass.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #34
Mike10

I read somewhere that his show is doing really well on the international CNN stations
Mike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #35
jilter
Happy to be here.

Not only is he really bad, but so are his producers.
While interviewing Barbara Walters, he asks, "What was your greatest interview?"
(very original question).
He interrupts her, she asks him, "Are you going to let me answer the question?"
When she replies, "Anwar Sadat", They flash a pic of her with Arafat.
Sheeesh.

Making Larry look better everyday.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #36
Jayjoans

I laughed out loud when they showed Arafat. I just happened to be flipping by and wanted to see how bad Piers actually is. I was treated to that delightful miscue. I suppose the producers figure "meh, seen one, seen them all...who's going to notice..."

Hilarity.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #37
markymark_ctown

i've only seen the howard stern interview from week 1. seems he is fixated on howard (and vice versa) and trying to create some controversy and the free publicity that comes with it. his recent tweets about howard have been quiote funny...
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:34 AM   #38
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Hopkins interview surprisingly decent.

With the TV on in real time as I worked, I accidentally watched him interviewing Anthony Hopkins. Much to my surprise (considering others I've watched) I liked the interview and thought Piers did a decent interview of him.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #39
kmccbf

I was surprized by the show. Most of the time he comes of fairly intelligent and totally different from what I expected from watching him on other shows aired in the US. I'm not a regular watcher and wasn't of Larry King either. Sometimes I liked him and sometimes I thought Larry was an idiot. I think I will find piers the same. He did do a show on the situation in Egypt a couple of days ago and I thought it was fairly good.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #40
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
seems he is fixated on howard (and vice versa)...
Howard isn't fixated on him. He has to fill 4-5 hours of air time a day. If P.M. keeps poking him with a stick, he's going to address it.

P.M. was on Howard's show this morning, and his whole 'feud' with Howard is so obviously a shtick to get some buzz going.
rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #41
DeDondeEs

My first impression with Piers after the announcement and commercials leading up to the start of his show was that this was going to be a train wreck. But after seeing a few interviews and how he reported on the State of the Union and the Egypt situation, he seems to know his place, and his demeanor has been appropriate for who he is interviewing or what he is reporting on. So far I think he is a huge improvement over Larry King, are there other people out there who would do a better job, yes, but he works for now.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #42
kmccbf

After watch the show again, I realize that the one thing I don't like about Piers (though I think he handles himself well) is that he looks like he has been sucking on a lemon.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #43
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccbf View Post
After watch the show again, I realize that the one thing I don't like about Piers (though I think he handles himself well) is that he looks like he has been sucking on a lemon.
I watched him again last night. I agree, he also talks out of the side of his mouth. Although given that, the guy is growing on me, which is bad news for Piers, because that means he will probably get cancelled soon.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #44
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

I've watched him often, usually deleting because his self-infatuation irks me.

I think the shows I've seen were of interviews with women, where he is pretty cocky (look at and listen to me, I don't really care what YOU think) and know-it-allish and trying to prove that he's superior.

But last night, I watched his Colin Firth interview, and I actually enjoyed the whole show. Maybe he's evolving.

OTOH, Colin is an awesome male Brit.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #45
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
Read what I was replying to. I was referring to America's Got Talent, not his new CNN show.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #46
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
But last night, I watched his Colin Firth interview, and I actually enjoyed the whole show. Maybe he's evolving.
Oh, man, I watched that interview.

I love Colin Firth. But I absolutely loathed Piers through the whole thing. He was so smarmy and juvenile. Ugh.

Early on he seemed oddly fixated on Colin's wife and how pretty she is.

How would you feel if she had a love scene with Brad Pitt?
Well, I didn't marry an actress.
But imagine it anyway -- Livia having sex with Brad Pitt and you are forced to watch . . .

And then when he had Helena BC and Geoffrey R on, he asked Helena if she would rather have a threesome with Tim Burton (her husband) and their good pal Johnny Depp, or Firth and Rush . . . ugh.

They laughed and went along with his nonsense but it was embarrassingly unprofessional. Complete tabloid crap. You have these three great actors on and you ask them about sex scenes and threesomes? Is this CNN or the Playboy channel for crying out loud? I can't believe this guy is making me miss Larry King.
Magnolia88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #47
getreal
postcrastinator

He had a pretty interesting interview with Charlie Sheen tonight. I enjoyed the entire show!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #48
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
He had a pretty interesting interview with Charlie Sheen tonight. I enjoyed the entire show!
And I thought it was terrible. He kept kissing Charlie's backside.

It got so bad I changed the channel.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 AM   #49
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
And I thought it was terrible. He kept kissing Charlie's backside.

It got so bad I changed the channel.
I hadn't seen any full interviews with Sheen, and had only seen sound bite excerpts from other interviews, so it was interesting and entertaining to watch an hour of his point of view. Sheen made some concessions about some of his outrageous statements in other interviews, and sounded a bit more conciliatory than he does when other media "news" shows take just the most outrageous tidbits and play them continuously and over-analyze every word.

I do agree, however, that Morgan was a blatant suck-up, but it is also an interview technique to make the subject more comfortable in order to get another side of the story.

I don't watch "Two and a Half Men", so I was not invested with any pre-judgments of Sheen. However, after the interview, it is clear that Sheen has delusions of grandeur and comes off as an obnoxiously arrogant egomaniac.

And his face is getting pretty bony, making his ears appear abnormally large for his head.

Hopefully he will straighten himself out before he becomes another casualty like John Belushi or Heath Ledger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #50
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Magnolia, I pretty much agree with you. My stomach sort of curdles and my upper lip quivers with some revulsion at his underlying creepiness when I watch his self-absorption, self-infatuation and sexual-preoccupation (so that he virtually hits on everyone on some level).

Still, of the few I've watched, the Firth was the best IMO, nothwithstanding his prurient pecadillos.

FWIW, there are personality traits he seems to share with Sheen, they just aren't as out-of-control yet.