TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
ckt1940

Blue Ray connecting with Tivo and TV

I am trying to replace my old vhs/dvd player with a new blue ray dvd player. TV is about 10 years old. Everything work previously with tivo and old system. I can't seem to get the proper connections to the proper places. Dvd plays, but nothing shows up on screen.

Thanks for you help
ckt1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
HellFish
I can dress myself.

Do you have HDMI inputs on your TV?
Is your Tivo HD?
Is your TV HD? If not, you probably have 1-2 Component hook ups.

The Blu-Ray Player and the Tivo should be hooked up to the TV separately. If you answer these questions, we should be able to help you better.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
ckt1940

I do not have HDMI on my TV. It is not HD nor is my Tivo.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Len McRiddles

Can you share with us what inputs you do have? It will take the guess work out of it.
Len McRiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
mr.unnatural

Sounds like you should have upgraded your TV before going with a Blu-Ray player. Not much point in feeding a non-HDTV HD material. Perhaps your Blu-Ray player is not sending the TV a 480i or 480p signal. If it's outputting anything with a higher resolution the TV is not capable of displaying it.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
ckt1940

I have a cable input to the Tivo, which then goes to my TV. I have a R/W/Y cable out of my BlueRay, going to the input on the Tivo. Should I be taking the Blue Ray out put directly to the TV?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
ckt1940

mr. unatural, comment about a TV upsgrade, is true. However, when hooked to the VHS/DVD it worked fine.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckt1940 View Post
I have a cable input to the Tivo, which then goes to my TV. I have a R/W/Y cable out of my BlueRay, going to the input on the Tivo. Should I be taking the Blue Ray out put directly to the TV?
It sounds like you have a Series 2. Easiest would be to hook the DVD player to the TV.

An alternative is to rerun Guided Setup, and specify that you also have a satellite receiver that uses the composite (R/W/Y) cables as input to the TiVo. You could probably chooses any satellite provider, but I would suggest a small "mom & pop" provider if one is available - only so it's easier to remove all the satellite channels but one, which would then be designated as the "DVD" channel. It would be best to choose a channel number that isn't in the other lineup so it's easier to navigate to.

I did that with a security camera setup on my Series 2, and not a DVD player, but the premise is the same. It seems I had to be insistent during Guided Setup that yes, the TiVo is changing the channel correctly for the "satellite" receiver, even though no channel changing for that device would ever be involved. It might sound complicated, but it is a way to daisy-chain the TiVo and DVD player into one input on your TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
HellFish
I can dress myself.

For copy protection purposes, would the BDP output to the Tivo?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

A TiVo really can't act as a simple RF modulator like your old VCR could. Everything that is fed into the TiVo is recoded and buffered. This will not only reduce quality but prevent your TiVo from recording anything while you're watching a DVD because the tuner will be occupied. If your TV only has 1 RF input, and you can't afford a new TV, then you're going to need a standalone RF modulator. If you look in the game section of your local WalMart you should be able to find an A/V switchbox with a built in modulator for about $20. This will allow you to connect 4-5 devices to the switch and it will automatically convert whichever one is selected to RF and feed it to your TV.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
ckt1940

Thanks to all that responded.