Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Food Network & HGTV losing viewers...

News via TV Week: Viewers Appear to Be Losing Their Appetite for Food Network, HGTV (apparently originally from NY Post)...

Click the link if you want to read the original, very short, article...

The article didn't mention one of the things I would have perhaps chaulked this up to: the creation of the new "Cooking" channel and movement of some of the content that had been or would have been on Food Network over to it. After rebranding the old channel (Fine living?) over to "Cooking" and putting content there, I would have expected to see viewership for Food Network go down since it seems the people behind the networks were simply fracturing their own audiences.

They don't mention that in the short blurb that the headline links to, but they do offer some other possibilities and comments following the article offer still more.

Either way it's not great news for Food Network or HGTV at this point but they most likely will make changes and perhaps find something that pulls in viewers again.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

They certainly haven't lost my wife. Those (and TLC) are her go-to channels whenever she's not watching something pre-recorded on TiVo.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
DeDondeEs

This does not surprise me. The Food Network seems to be putting more of those shows based on the "Best Week Ever" formula where they have cooks and celebrities talking about their favorite thanksgiving dinner dish.

If they don't have that then they have those stupid bake a giant cake shows, and for some reason when you make a 10 ft cake there is always some requirement to have to move the thing across a room or something. I also don't like those competition shows where the cooks get criticized by celebs on how crappy or good their stuff tastes. You can easily tell that Food Network is trying the MTV strategy of putting all of that dummed down dramatic stuff on to try to woo back viewers, but apparently it isn't working.

I like the Alton Brown Good-Eats type shows, even though that guy is a little OCD on some of his techniques. The Cooking Channel seems to have programing similar to the early days of Food Network, so we have been watching that more. I also like the "America's Test Kitchen" show on PBS. I have no interest in seeing people get all dramatic and complaining behind each other's back about building a life-size Disney castle cake that is in constant danger of falling over and probably doesn't taste good anyhow.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
frankmint

That is what happens when you push out the chefs (Mario, Emeril, etc.) and put all your eggs in the personality basket (Guy, Guy etc.).
frankmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
dwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
This does not surprise me. The Food Network seems to be putting more of those shows based on the "Best Week Ever" formula where they have cooks and celebrities talking about their favorite thanksgiving dinner dish.

If they don't have that then they have those stupid bake a giant cake shows, and for some reason when you make a 10 ft cake there is always some requirement to have to move the thing across a room or something. I also don't like those competition shows where the cooks get criticized by celebs on how crappy or good their stuff tastes. You can easily tell that Food Network is trying the MTV strategy of putting all of that dummed down dramatic stuff on to try to woo back viewers, but apparently it isn't working.

I like the Alton Brown Good-Eats type shows, even though that guy is a little OCD on some of his techniques. The Cooking Channel seems to have programing similar to the early days of Food Network, so we have been watching that more. I also like the "America's Test Kitchen" show on PBS. I have no interest in seeing people get all dramatic and complaining behind each other's back about building a life-size Disney castle cake that is in constant danger of falling over and probably doesn't taste good anyhow.
This- EXACTLY- could not have said it better myself. Food Network had a good thing going and screwed it up- it used to be one of our favorite channels, but now we watch the cooking channel more
dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
News via TV Week: Viewers Appear to Be Losing Their Appetite for Food Network, HGTV (apparently originally from NY Post)...

Click the link if you want to read the original, very short, article...

The article didn't mention one of the things I would have perhaps chaulked this up to: the creation of the new "Cooking" channel and movement of some of the content that had been or would have been on Food Network over to it. After rebranding the old channel (Fine living?) over to "Cooking" and putting content there, I would have expected to see viewership for Food Network go down since it seems the people behind the networks were simply fracturing their own audiences.

They don't mention that in the short blurb that the headline links to, but they do offer some other possibilities and comments following the article offer still more.

Either way it's not great news for Food Network or HGTV at this point but they most likely will make changes and perhaps find something that pulls in viewers again.
I blame it on Paula Dean and the Neelys. Way too much of them on the network.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Is that jackass Holmes on Homes still around? What a jackass.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
Is that jackass Holmes on Homes still around? What a jackass.
Yes he's still around and why is he a jackass?

(You wouldn't happen to be one of those shoddy contractors would you? )
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
jradosh
Newlywed

One Holmes show is enough. We don't need two.

Ditto for Guy Fieri (or however it's spelled).

Man vs. Food is played out and Food Wars never took off.

Between Property Virgins, My First Place, House Hunters and House Hunters International, they've got basically the same TV show on for hours each and every day. I like those shows, but dislike the lack of variety.

Same thing now with Chopped, Cupcake Wars and the other bake-off shows. Just 'cause it worked once doesn't mean it will work ad naseum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmint
That is what happens when you push out the chefs (Mario, Emeril, etc.) and put all your eggs in the personality basket (Guy, Guy etc.).
Mario and Emeril were personalities too. But they did have better skills than some of the new wave personalities (Rachel Ray, Guy Fieri, etc.).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
7thton
no, no, no.

I cannot believe how bad the Food Network has gotten.

The Worst Cook in America show is AWEFUL and obviously made on a shoestring budget. Chopped is terrible too and is/was basically the same show as Worst Cook...

Anne Burrell is overexposed/overused and so is Guy Ferry.

Paula Deen is awful and so fake.

Robert Irvine is likable, but lied about his chef credentials for YEARS before he was caught, his hand slapped, and put right back on the air.

The Next Foodnetwork Star is actually an interesting show, but is somewhat ruined by the fact that the judges seem pretty damn arbitrary about who they kick off and who they keep.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Between Property Virgins, My First Place, House Hunters and House Hunters International, they've got basically the same TV show on for hours each and every day. I like those shows, but dislike the lack of variety.
^^^^^^ This.

I agree 100%.
2 R10's- GONE
2 COMCAST HD TiVo DVR's. SofaKing slow.
Snappa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
sieglinde

I have found that if I need to learn a cooking technique, it is on YouTube. So I don't need an entire channel to learn how to cook and I have noticed they use too much butter and other fats in their foods.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Food Network can still be a fun distraction and I enjoy the Diners Drive In's type shows etc...but hate the shows where the rich chefs spend an hour bragging about the "best food" they've ever eating...most of which is priced out of most viewers budgets etc.

If you want cooking class shows like the old days of FN, you do need to look elsewhere it seems.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

The only show I've watched on the Food network in the last couple of years is Man vs. Food and I haven't seen a new one of those in months. Every time I go into my season passes, I make sure I lower its rank so it doesn't clobber a new show I really want to see.

Is there a show for beer or wine afficianados on one of the food channels?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thton View Post
I cannot believe how bad the Food Network has gotten.

The Worst Cook in America show is AWEFUL and obviously made on a shoestring budget. Chopped is terrible too and is/was basically the same show as Worst Cook...

Anne Burrell is overexposed/overused and so is Guy Ferry.

Paula Deen is awful and so fake.

Robert Irvine is likable, but lied about his chef credentials for YEARS before he was caught, his hand slapped, and put right back on the air.

The Next Foodnetwork Star is actually an interesting show, but is somewhat ruined by the fact that the judges seem pretty damn arbitrary about who they kick off and who they keep.
I agree with most of this but I give Irvine a pass. Mostly, he exaggerated on his resume and when caught, took a blow for a while. But, he came back cause, he is good at what he does and mostly entertaining. I dislike the Worst cook mostly cause I hate Burrell and really liked Dinner Impossible.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:

Anne Burrell is overexposed/overused
I like her.

She's an actual, professional restaurant chef with a good pedigree.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
The only show I've watched on the Food network in the last couple of years is Man vs. Food and I haven't seen a new one of those in months. Every time I go into my season passes, I make sure I lower its rank so it doesn't clobber a new show I really want to see.

Is there a show for beer or wine afficianados on one of the food channels?
Man v Food is actually on Travel Channel, so that's an issue right there. Currently, they're doing repackaged clip shows called Carnivore Chronicles. A new season, called Man v Food Nation, is expected later in '11.

For your second question, there's Drink Up and (reruns of) The Thirsty Traveler on Cooking Channel.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
swinca
Menace to society

Like others, I have defected to the Cooking Channel. So many of the shows on Food Network are just lame and silly. HGTV could use some new programming too. Most of the shows I liked are gone. And what's the point of Next Design Star if their shows aren't good and you never see the winners again? Aside from David Bromstad, which of those winners are still around? Well, there is The Antonio Treatment, but that sucks too.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #19
7thton
no, no, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinca View Post
Like others, I have defected to the Cooking Channel. So many of the shows on Food Network are just lame and silly. HGTV could use some new programming too. Most of the shows I liked are gone. And what's the point of Next Design Star if their shows aren't good and you never see the winners again? Aside from David Bromstad, which of those winners are still around? Well, there is The Antonio Treatment, but that sucks too.
Hmm. I actually quite like the Antonio Treatment.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #20
7thton
no, no, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustLikeTivo View Post
I agree with most of this but I give Irvine a pass. Mostly, he exaggerated on his resume and when caught, took a blow for a while. But, he came back cause, he is good at what he does and mostly entertaining. I dislike the Worst cook mostly cause I hate Burrell and really liked Dinner Impossible.
I too give him a pass. But it was still a fumble which resulted in Dinner: Impossible getting a new host for a season, which hurt the show.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #21
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I liked "My House Is Worth What?" with Kendra Todd. I'd love to see it on the air now with dramatically reduced property values.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #22
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I like her.

Who can't seem to keep a real restaurant job for very long, is being sued for sexual discrimination and according to the foodie blogs is universally hated by everyone she works/worked with. Personally, I find her mannerisms annoying to the point of distraction, but YMMV.

Food Networks idea of a "new" show lately seems to be to almost exactly copy another networks show and plug in one of their "stars" that I presume work cheap. They did it with Ace of Cakes (cake Boss), Man vs Food(food feuds) and now Kitchen Nightmares (Restaurant Impossible). I like Next Iron Chef, but it's basically a rip off of Top Chef. The whole network comes off to me as low budget with no imagination. As for HGTV, I used to watch it a decade ago, but I can't think of a single show I've seen from there in years. They went from the channel for DIY to the house buying/decorating channel and lost me. If my cable provider were to drop both, I wouldn't miss either much.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #23
Havana Brown
Ring Turner

Quote:
I like her.

With terrible hair and hate her grunting!

The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds an excuse.
Havana Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #24
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was really getting into the Food Network for awhile, but my problem is there just isn't enough diversity. A lot of the shows are very similar and they tend to use the same hosts for multiple shows. Combine that with the fact that I'm trying to drop a couple of pounds and I just don't tend to tune in as much. Those shows make me hungry! I guess I got a little burned out.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
smark

We enjoy Chopped because at least it's a competition that has some variety to it most episodes.

Don't really care much for most of the other shows on Food Network/Cooking Channel though Cooking Channel has more things I would watch vs. Food.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #26
brettatk
If I Only Knew

They lost us last year when we went OTA. We were watching several shows on both HGTV and The Food Network. One of the very few things we miss about getting rid of cable.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #27
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
Who can't seem to keep a real restaurant job for very long, is being sued for sexual discrimination and according to the foodie blogs is universally hated by everyone she works/worked with. Personally, I find her mannerisms annoying to the point of distraction, but YMMV.

Hmmmm

Mario Batali seems to like her ok..

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #28
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I liked "My House Is Worth What?" with Kendra Todd. I'd love to see it on the air now with dramatically reduced property values.
That title has always bugged the crap out of me!

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #29
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Quote:
Hmmmm

Mario Batali seems to like her ok..
But with his now huge restaurant empire, doesn't work for him and hasn't in years. I don't know her and take the blogs with a grain of salt (3lbs for her!) but the book on her seems to be a talented Sue Chef with a whole lot of personality issues that make her a poor fit in the kitchen. From what I've read, her career as an Executive Chef has been a disaster. Personally, I think she's a poor fit on TV too, but the FoodTV executives don't agree.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #30
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
The Worst Cook in America show is AWEFUL and obviously made on a shoestring budget.
Agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thton
Chopped is terrible too and is/was basically the same show as Worst Cook...
Disagree. They are nothing alike.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote