TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Channels Scrambled BrightHouse Pinellas FL (M-Card)

This morning, I noticed that the channels on the TV were all screwed up. First, I unplugged to reboot TiVo. Then I removed the M-Card and reinserted. Then I rebooted again. EVerything went back to normal.

The TV seemed okay, but then, as I channel surfed, I realized that Glen Beck was on E! MSNBC is on HLN while HLN is on MSNBC. I'm still looking for CNN--Disney's on its usual channel. There are many channels mixed up, many are nonexistent, (forget the HDTV stations!) and some are just fine.

Now, nothing I do has any effect, so apparently the rebooting and M-Card reinserting was just a fluke.

Any ideas or other troubleshooting suggestions. Is there something I should have done after reinserting the M-card? Is there something happening with M-Cards? Eeek.

Last edited by megory : 01-19-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: adding new information since 2nd fix didn't work
megory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

Hmmm ... last night I noticed that channels 44 and 49 I was getting "no signal" on. I thought maybe I had lost analog channels but other analog ones were working (this was on my Premiere and THDXL both with M-Cards). But my S3 (with two S-Cards) and my S2 (analog only) both were receiving those channels.

Maybe it's related to your issue (I'm in North Pinellas)? I don't use a lot of analog channels so I didn't check out a lot more to see if they were "correct" but I did try a reboot which didn't work. I'll investigate more tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Curious. I'm in South Pinellas. My latest reboot ended with complete "no signal" so I'm totally kerfuffled. I'm wondering if the HD TiVo died or if I killed it by rebooting or removing the M-card and rebooting requires me to re-initialize the M-Card. Like yours, my smaller HD2DT is fine. But it's attached to an 18" in the bedroom!

I'm forced to use all analogue, because we like MRV, and TiVo can't transfer programs unless they're analogue.

This is a "sigh" problem. Of course, I have the flu and am home, braindead (not great on problem solving right now) and wanting to watch TV and record everything. Grrr.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

Removing the M-Card shouldn't be a problem, and if you're receiving your digital channels, the M-Card is working. Since this is analog channels we're talking about I'm guessing it's a problem on the BHN-side. We'll probably just have to wait it out (unless you feel like calling tech support and seeing what they say!).

|
Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Heheh. I'm not confident with BH telephone support for M-Cards! I'll be curious to see if others here are having a problem and if there's a solution.

Um. The digital channels were NOT working, and the analogue were all screwed up. But -- I can't figure why the new problem "no signal." It can't be from the outside as the DT works fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ok, yeah, something is messed up here. It's got to be a Brighthouse problem.

On my S2 and S3, everything is "fine" except the quality has dropped significantly, almost as if the signal level is very low (lots of grainy picture).

On my Premiere and THDXL, I have the missing "no signal" channels on 44 and 49, and other channels are messed up. 14 should be E and it's Fox News and 53 should be TCM and it's SyFy. I've also lost Bay News 9 on ch 1009.

|
Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

That's reassuring! I'll sit back for a while. I guess I should call BH and report it. (There were times I'd call them and they'd say it couldn't be a problem because they had not previous reports!)

But the continuing problem with "no signal" scares me and I'm thinking that it has to go back to Weaknees for repair. I

I just cannot figure out why it's getting no signal. Maybe I need to take my DT to that cable, to see if it gets a signal before I go get a BH DVR
Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
Lampei

OK, at least it's not just me.

I did the reboot (haven't tried removing and reinserting the cable card yet, but I guess that'll be the next step). I chatted with a rep yesterday who said "engineers were out in my area and it will be fixed by the end of the day"...NOPE. I guess I'll be having another chat with them later today <sigh>

Still need to try to get my tuning adapter working...it kept messing with my IP address for my wireless adapter?!? when I had it plugged in...very weird. Perhaps I can kill 2 birds with one stone.
Lampei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Well, I finally got it working (signal back), but scrambled. Foreseeing a long-term problem, when I was out today (remember, I'm sick and not capable of complex thought) I picked up a BH HD Box.

It costs $18 per month! WTF? It wasn't my brightest move.

Lampei, I'm in South St Pbg tier. I don't use a TA at all, because I don't need the extra channels, and because I do Multi-Room Viewing (TA disables that).

Does it work yet?

Wind and Lam, do you think BH is messing with the TAs?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
windracer
joined the 10k club

I don't have a TA either so I'm not sure. However, I came home tonight and have "searching for signal" on a bunch of HD channels now, like SyFy, Comedy Central, etc. on my S-Cards in the S3 bu they come in fine on the M-Cards in the Premiere and THD.

Something is definitely messed up. I may try to call tonight and see if they can give me an answer without screwing up anything more ...

|
Old 01-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

And my channels are fine on the DT. I'm searching for my correspondence in 12/09 on a broadbands forum, to see who I should contact at BH. There was a guy from BH who knows TiVo and was a great and knowledgable contact. But that was '09. I hate to go through all the levels to find the two people who might have a clue.

They must be messing with something. I don't remember getting any notification, but then again, I don't read snail mail.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
jordiboy

I am in north Pinellas and many of my channels "flipped" this afternoon. For example, Fox is channel 37, but channel 37 now shows The Golf Channel. The guide still lists channel 37 as Fox.

I also have a Series II and everything is normal on it.
jordiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Jordi, do you have two Tivos? And is your problem with the one with an M card?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #14
jordiboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
Jordi, do you have two Tivos? And is your problem with the one with an M card?
Correct, two Tivos: TivoHD with M card is experiencing the problem. Series II w/o cable card does not have a problem.

I called Brighthouse last night and they want to send someone onsite on Tuesday. I could not get through to them that it is not an isolated problem.
jordiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #15
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

My test channel is 30 (CNN) which is still showing MSNBC.

I've contacted a wonderful tech guy who is also a member of TC, and directed him to this thread. Perhaps he will come on and comment.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #16
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Just got a call from Brighthouse Quality Control where he said that they "are aware of the problem. It IS a county wide problem. And they don't know when it will be completely fixed, but they are looking into it."
Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #17
windracer
joined the 10k club

Thanks for following up, megory! We were out at the Gasparilla children's parade today so I didn't have time to give them a call and see what's up. Guess we'll wait and see!

|
Old 01-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

WOW. Hope you had fun.

Indeed, We'll see. The caller didn't really shine any light on the problem and kept repeating the same script when I asked questions, so I knew he didn't truly understand, but it was reassuring anyway (without any time limit).

I AM hopeful. My contact is a pretty good guy. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
wtb

I too had the same problem (on North Pinellas). I first noticed it Saturday when my kids complained that the TiVo didn't record the Star Wars Clone Wars episode. Checking into it I found that Ch45 s/b CMT but is Cartoon Network, Ch58 s/b the cartoon network but was VH1, and Ch62 s/b VH1 but was CMT. Then later I found the problem with Fox News, AMC, USA, QVC, and others.

When I talked to the service rep, he didn't know anything about the problem and (after going through removing the cards and cycling power) set up a service call for Tuesday. I doubt it will help but perhaps I learn something talking to someone technical.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #20
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Hey neighbor. According to BH, it's NOT your M-Card. It's a system problem that they know about. And, generally, unless you're lucky, the techs aren't usually knowledgable about TiVo or M-Cards.

If you have the time to see the tech guy, no problem. I think the more noise we make the better.

It's been since Wed for me.

Thanks for letting us know.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #21
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

My TV is still screwed up. How about yours?

BH has still done nothing about this problem. We need to keep calling to complain!

It has been a week for mine.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yeah, and this messed me up Sunday night when my TiVo went to record "Robot Chicken" on Cartoon Network and recorded VH1 instead.

I will try to call tonight and lodge my complaint and see if I can find out any more as to what is going on.

|
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #23
wtb

I found out about it Saturday when my kids complained that Star Wars Clone Wars on the cartoon network didn't record the previous night. It did record a week ago Friday so the problem occurred between the two Fridays. That would agree with the Wednesday mention of it beginning.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #24
Lampei

Tech should be here soon. They set up an appointment. I figured I'd at least try to get the TA looked at, even if the M-Card issue is system wide (which it *should* be as no one here made any changes to their setup...it just stopped working one day, suggesting a system update of some sort at BH that messed with something).
Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #25
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

BH Pinellas Problem FIXED!!!

Just got a call from Don, at BH Quality Control. His message said the problem was fixed, and if the channels are still mixed up to do a rescan of stations (?!). I turned on my TV, and HLN is on HLN and MSNBC is on MSNBC, so I presume the other channels are correct too!

Is yours working correctly too??
Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
Lampei

Yup, mine's working now. Got my TA working too. Still not completely sure I won't get the conflict with my wireless adapter that I was getting last year, but hopefully it'll be OK now. Only weird thing with my TA...when he powered it off to test that when it was turned back on again the channels worked, TiVo couldn't "see" the TA any more. Had to do a complete restart of the TiVo (didn't get a chance to just unplug and replug the USB back in).
Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #27
windracer
joined the 10k club

My M-Cards in the Premiere and THD XL are back to normal as well. On my S3 (with S-Cards), though, I'm missing a lot of digital channels (but the analogs are in the correct place). I'll try a reboot/rescan and see if that helps.

|
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #28
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
On my S3 (with S-Cards), though, I'm missing a lot of digital channels (but the analogs are in the correct place).
Turns out the problem with my S3 was unrelated. I noticed that a lot of the analog channels were very poor quality and I was missing a lot of digital channels and HD channels. I found that, in my CableCARD status screen, I had a PowerKey status of "not ready - waiting for time" on both S-Cards.

I traced the problem back to the wall ... the coax cable was slightly loose for some reason. I tightened it and all of the problems went away. Strange!

|
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #29
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Hmmm. It's great you found the solution!

My MRV didn't work. Finally, I rebooted, and voila!

Quirkiness!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #30
wtb

Yeah, I noticed the channels fixed right before the cable guy was to come during the storm on Jan 25. Canceled that so he wasn't getting our house soaked.