TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
hfarrell

Question Need List of Satellite Boxes with Same IR Codes As Digital Converter Boxes

I'm trying to use a Series 1 to record OTA programming. I'm aware of the technique of tricking the TiVo into thinking that the digital converter box is a cable box or satellite box so that TiVo will control the converter box and download the appropriate program data.

I have looked at the channel lineups for all of the cable and satellite providers in my area (Northern San Diego County), and I have determined that no cable lineups match the OTA channels (primary channels -- I don't care about subchannels). However the DirecTV lineup does contain all of the channels I need. Thus, I need to know what digital converter boxes have the same TiVo IR code as any of the satellite boxes that are in the TiVo guided setup list (it has to be a satellite box, as cable boxes do me no good).

Because this is a Series 1, I have no way of inputting a custom IR code. I do not want to hack my TiVo -- I just want to find a digital converter box (one that is currently commercially available) that has an IR code that matches the IR code of a satellite box in the TiVo database.

I have searched this forum for hours trying to find a pair of boxes that works. Can somebody please provide a list? Many thanks in advance.
hfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
If you still can, get yourself either a Zinwell Zat 970 or a DTV Pal.

Both have their own VCR type timers.

You can set your TiVo to record off a cable or satellite box, the channels you actually want, but then not have the TiVo actually control the box. The box's own timer will change its channels.

However you feed the signal in, by audio/video or by RF (channel 3 or 4), you set the TiVo to expect a box using that means to send to the TiVo.

The timers in the tuner and the recorder will work in tandem.

I'm surprised that neither DISH NETWORK nor DIRECT TV have lineups in your area that use the real channel numbers for the local OTAs, tho'.

I set up my Series 1 to think it was working with a DISH box and my local channel numbers were spot on. It doesn't list the sub-channels, but for most things, it works perfectly. Since it's trying to control a DISH box and my DTV Pal responds to the DISH infra red codes (it's made by DISH), I don't even have to use the DTV Pal's timer.

The TiVo actually controls it, thinking it's working with a DISH box that has an OTA tuner for locals.

I just deleted all the cable/satellite channels from the DISH lineup.

What zip code do you live in?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
ggieseke

The Apex converter uses code 10098, which is identical to code 10020 for a Hughes satellite receiver.

Code 10090 for Insignia and Zenith converters is the same as code 10075 for LG satellite boxes but 10075 doesn't have an "Enter" code, just digits 0-9. I don't know if either of those two converters need an enter to change channels.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
The Apex converter uses code 10098, which is identical to code 10020 for a Hughes satellite receiver.

Code 10090 for Insignia and Zenith converters is the same as code 10075 for LG satellite boxes but 10075 doesn't have an "Enter" code, just digits 0-9. I don't know if either of those two converters need an enter to change channels.
That is a REALLY NEAT post. THANK YOU.

I didn't know anyone had figured out RF code overlaps between converter boxes and cable/satellite boxes (except for the ones from DISH).

Now, to find an Apex, Insignia, or Zenith box somewhere...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
ggieseke

I use one of my old Series 1s with a TurboNET card, TivoWebPlus, curl.exe, & a batch file to process the IR database into a PDF that I've posted before.

Stage 2 was writing a program to convert the TiVo format codes for each button into Philips Pronto format, then using DecodeIR.dll (available at remotecentral) to figure out the actual protocol, frequency, device, subdevice & button code. Guess I was really bored that morning.

I'm attaching the latest PDF and including the codes in tab-delimited text format in case someone else finds them useful. Happy hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IRDB438.PDF (18.8 KB, 38 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt IRDecode.txt (70.3 KB, 27 views)
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
hfarrell

Thanks to all of you for your replies. This is very helpful and gives me hope that my Series 1 won't end up in a landfill soon.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
hfarrell

gastrof,

The system won't let me reply privately to your PM until I have made at least 5 posts. So here is what I tried to say in my failed private reply:

My zip is 92057. The OTA channels I receive (and need) are:

8 CBS
10 ABC
15 PBS
39 ABC
51 KUSI
69 Fox

DirecTV for San Diego has these channels for the correct networks. I haven't checked Dish.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Davelnlr_

Echostar TR40 converter box uses same codes as Dishnetwork box. I just told my series 1 I was using Dish, and turned off all the channels except the primary OTA ones.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfarrell View Post
gastrof,

The system won't let me reply privately to your PM until I have made at least 5 posts. So here is what I tried to say in my failed private reply:

My zip is 92057. The OTA channels I receive (and need) are:

8 CBS
10 ABC
15 PBS
39 ABC
51 KUSI
69 Fox

DirecTV for San Diego has these channels for the correct networks. I haven't checked Dish.

Thanks for your help.
I'm a little thrown by "correct networks". Do you mean "correct channel numbers"?

You can tell the TiVo during Guided Setup that its source is DirecTV, but then tell it you're using a different type of box.

If your local DirecTV lineup gives you the correct channel numbers, use it and a DTV Pal (or one of the other boxes mentioned above), then also lie to the TiVo about what box you're using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Echostar TR40 converter box uses same codes as Dishnetwork box. I just told my series 1 I was using Dish, and turned off all the channels except the primary OTA ones.
The TR40 is an alternate name for the DTV Pal. The method of telling the TiVo the Pal is a DISH network box and removing all the channels except for the OTAs is described above.