TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
criscrow

Why won't my cable card pair with my Premiere XL?

I just got my Premiere XL box on Monday. I had already picked up my M Card from Cablevision and though the install would be quick and easy. Well, after countless hours on the phone with the Cable company, who kept telling me that they were sending signals and trying to pair the card, I still can only watch up to channel 22. I have none of my other channels. The technician has been here twice. The first time he said the card was messed up. Got another card. That card is not paired either. Cable company tells me my Tivo is no good. Tivo says that it clearly shows that the cable company hasn't paired the card correctly. The latest from the cable company...the signal coming in to my apartment is too strong. I have to wait for them to lower the signal within the next 48 hours and see if that makes a difference. I have never been so frustrated. Any suggestions?

criscrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
xultar

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscrow View Post
I just got my Premiere XL box on Monday. I had already picked up my M Card from Cablevision and though the install would be quick and easy. Well, after countless hours on the phone with the Cable company, who kept telling me that they were sending signals and trying to pair the card, I still can only watch up to channel 22. I have none of my other channels. The technician has been here twice. The first time he said the card was messed up. Got another card. That card is not paired either. Cable company tells me my Tivo is no good. Tivo says that it clearly shows that the cable company hasn't paired the card correctly. The latest from the cable company...the signal coming in to my apartment is too strong. I have to wait for them to lower the signal within the next 48 hours and see if that makes a difference. I have never been so frustrated. Any suggestions?

I had the same issue. I ultimately had to return the box after 4 truck rolls and hours on the phone with TiVo and the cable provider. Before you give up Make sure you ensure that the paring numbers are correct and make sure they tell you what they have without you reading them the numbers.
xultar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
criscrow

I just tried that, but the guy on the phone at cable refused to read me what he had. He insisted I tell him the numbers first. No matter how many times I asked him he just kept saying that I had to tell him. I don't get it and I got nowhere.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
drewdog

The person dealing with the billing side of your install (the guy on the phone) needs to Pair, Validate, then Initialize the card. Specifically in that order. Once they do that.... Don't touch it. If the signal is correct, the box and cable card are good, your box will get channels anywhere from 10-30 minutes depending how much traffic is in their system.

I install these all the time. The difference between a simple 20 min job and a 4 hour nightmare is usually the "GUY ON THE PHONE"

Hope this helps
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
jfh3

Agreed. The odds of it being a problem with the Tivo itself are about as close to zero as you can get.

And, if you get someone on the phone that actually knows what to do, it should take about 10 minutes from hit to service.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
WVZR1

You don't mention "where your located" and most on here don't so it's difficult for maybe a "neighbor" to offer you any assistance.

My CableCard install was maybe 15 minutes and I'd guess 5 were just conversation before the technician made "the call"!

If you're close to a "local office" I'd probably walk in and "CALMLY" explain the situation with the staff. I'm not implying that there's going to be a knowledgeable person that will understand but I'd guess they could put their hands on someone who could!

The "local office" is staffed by "locals" and they're inclined to want to see you happy. They might already be an acquaintance, who knows!!

I've been told that the CableCard requires a "clearing" operation after being removed from one account and being added to another. The clear is completed at the warehouse and I'd guess it's likely that a good many difficult installs that require "multiple cards" to accomplish are the result of the botch of the clearing operation!

I don't know that what I just mentioned is "fact" but maybe "drewdog" who does the installs might!!

"drewdog"??

----- --------

My install was done by a Comcast "CONTRACTOR" and when I called the contractor to say thank-you and comment on the installers "talent" the contractor's dispatcher was also the person who accomplished the "pairing and initialization"!! I called the contractor two weeks later to get a second machine done and it was arranged for a "Saturday", I requested the same technician and though they don't do installs on Saturday the card was picked up by the technician on Thursday and installed again in 15 minutes on Saturday. Yep, the dispatcher was also working that Saturday.

Last edited by WVZR1 : 01-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
criscrow

Why won't my cable card pair with my premiere XL?

I am located in southern westchester. Today I had cable vision come out and lower the "too high" signal coming into my apartment. Another phone call to cable vision, more signals being sent and still no channels. Now I have another tech coming in the morning. I don't know how many more times I'll have to make a phone call only to get no results.
As far as going into my local cable company, I did that two days ago to pick up a new cable card because the first tech thought that the card was defective. The man behind the counter told me that I was given the wrong information about being able to walk in and rlace the M card. He said that only the tech can do that. I told him that the tech and one other cable vision rep told me I could come in and pick up a new card. He told me he would make an exception since I was already there. I asked him if it was possible that the serial number or host I'd was keyed in wrong and he replied that they don't make those mistakes.
It didn't seem like I was going to get too much help from him so I took my card and left. I hope that I get someone who knows what they are doing tomorrow. This is very frustrating.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
jayn_j

Are you using a tuning adapter? There were three numbers that needed to be paired. host adapter, tivo sn and cablecard sn.

Look around this site. There is a number posted somewhere for a TIVO cablecard support expert. I had a total of 5 truck rolls and 9 appointments before mine totally worked, and it took calling that number and the conferencing TWC tier 3 support. You kind of need to teach them how to do it.
jayn_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
mishafp

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscrow View Post
I just tried that, but the guy on the phone at cable refused to read me what he had. He insisted I tell him the numbers first. No matter how many times I asked him he just kept saying that I had to tell him. I don't get it and I got nowhere.
Just hang up next time, call back, and you'll likely get a different person. Some are far more helpful/competent than others.
mishafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
drewdog

WVZR1 - My understanding is that once the cards go through warehouse and are re-entered into the system as "stock status" The pairing between that card and any device it was installed in are automatically removed from the system.

For example, you take your m-card out of your tivo, scan it into your local warehouse, put it back in the same tivo.... it will once again require "the call"

As far as the original post goes, signal levels would have to be absolutely terrible for the card not to respond to the box. The installation part should be ok, but channels may be missing or tile with bad signal.

If you're still having trouble, please post exactly whats happening and I or someone here will do our best to help you.