TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #241
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I'm in the process of upgrading a Tivo HD hard drive with JMFS.
I have successfully completed the the copy and expansion.

Now I'm trying to use winmfs to do the supersize, but the Tivo hard drive is not showing up. (see attached image)

What do I do from here?

Running Windows 7 with winmfs_beta9_3f.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WinMFS screenshot.JPG (42.0 KB, 37 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #242
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

Now I'm trying to use winmfs to do the supersize, but the Tivo hard drive is not showing up. (see attached image)

What do I do from here?

How is the drive connected?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #243
dwit

Quote:

What do I do from here?

Try checking that little box in the bottom right corner that says "Show Mounted Drives".
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #244
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Try checking that little box in the bottom right corner that says "Show Mounted Drives".
D'oh! Missed that.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #245
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Thanks for the quick replies.

Apparently, you need to run winmfs "as administrator" in Windows 7.
Got the idea from the MFSLive website which states to do that for Vista. It didn't occur to me that you would have to do that in W7.

So, I'll find out tomorrow if it all worked. Can't swap the drive tonight as there is a NASCAR race AND football on at the same time.

ETA: I also changed the HD boot priority in BIOS, but I don't think that had any effect.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 08-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #246
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Success! Tivo booted up and shows 318 hr capacity of HD goodness.

Thanks again to the software writers for making it easy,
AND to the others who quickly help out those of us who experience user error.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #247
richsadams

Quote:
Success! Tivo booted up and shows 318 hr capacity of HD goodness.

Thanks again to the software writers for making it easy,
AND to the others who quickly help out those of us who experience user error.
Very cool! Enjoy!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #248
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Well, that's very interesting indeed because AFAIK trying to adjust the Intellipark feature on a WD hard drive by connecting it via an eSATA enclosure has never worked in the past.

I have an Antec MX-1 eSATA enclosure. I may have to give wdidle3.exe a try as soon as I have time. If that's the case now, it would be a great option for folks that don't have direct access to a computer's MB SATA port.

What brand/model of eSATA enclosure did you use? TIA!
I have an eSATA port on my desktop case. The cable from the port goes to an open SATA jack on the MB. As expected there is no issue using it to adjust the parameters on WD drives.

I don't think the computer or software even knows the drive is physically outside of the computer and connected with a eSATA cable.

I didn't bother with an enclosure. I have a eSATA to SATA cable. I used the power cable and wall "brick" from a USB-SATA kit to power the drive. I just let the raw drive sit on top of the PC Case (anti-stack bag under the drive).

My new MB also has a eSATA port on the back panel. I guess I'll get a second cable before I use JMFS.

Last edited by lew : 09-01-2011 at 12:20 PM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #249
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I have an eSATA port on my desktop case. The cable from the port goes to an open SATA jack on the MB. As expected there is no issue using it to adjust the parameters on WD drives.

I don't think the computer or software even knows the drive is physically outside of the computer and connected with a eSATA cable.

I didn't bother with an enclosure. I have a eSATA to SATA cable. I used the power cable and wall "brick" from a USB-SATA kit to power the drive. I just let the raw drive sit on top of the PC Case (anti-stack bag under the drive).

My new MB also has a eSATA port on the back panel. I guess I'll get a second cable before I use JMFS.
Hope that works. Let us know how it goes!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #250
tiassa
Me --Avatar

BIG Problem!!!

I'm trying to use JMFS to copy my existing (working just fine) Tivo HD 160 Gig to a WD20EARS and it isn't working. JMFS Finds both drives and appears to start copying, but after a while it says "Could not verify MFS on Targer drive, you cannot expand this drive (or something similar) and if I go to the expansion menu it doesnt' see the the WD20EARS. I have both drives plugged into SATA connectors on the Motherboard of the computer. ONe more thing I noticed is that on the copying screen there is a line that says "time from last successful read" and that appears to be about as long (maybe s little shorter) than the time the the copy routine had been running. Does anyone have any ideas?
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #251
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
BIG Problem!!!

I'm trying to use JMFS to copy my existing (working just fine) Tivo HD 160 Gig to a WD20EARS and it isn't working. JMFS Finds both drives and appears to start copying, but after a while it says "Could not verify MFS on Targer drive, you cannot expand this drive (or something similar) and if I go to the expansion menu it doesnt' see the the WD20EARS. I have both drives plugged into SATA connectors on the Motherboard of the computer. ONe more thing I noticed is that on the copying screen there is a line that says "time from last successful read" and that appears to be about as long (maybe s little shorter) than the time the the copy routine had been running. Does anyone have any ideas?
Is your TiVo OEM drive running the latest version? If not, you should reinstall it and force a few network connections until it updates.

Otherwise I might start fresh and see how it goes, but it sounds like data corruption may be halting the process. It could be the TiVo drive or the new drive, hard to say.

If that's the case it might be worthwhile to do two things. I'd start by slipping the original drive back into TiVo and running Kickstart 57 and 58. The I'd run KS 54 to see if any errors come back.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

If all goes well and/or concurrently I'd run Western Digital's Lifeguard on the new drive to see if there are any issues.

Others may have some thoughts, but those are mine.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #252
unitron

Quote:
BIG Problem!!!

Like richsadams said, run the WD diagnostic software on that puppy. The long test.

Apparently WD's quality control on the 20EARS is slipping lately.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #253
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Maybe it was a loose connection or something. I swapped the cables on the original and WD20EARS drives and everything seemed to run OK.

I've got everything back together and am now looking at the "Just a few minutes more" screen"

Wish me luck

<Hawk_Harrelson>You can put it (where "it"=318 HD hours) on the board YES!!</Hawk_Harrelson>

Last edited by tiassa : 09-02-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: SUCCESS!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #254
richsadams

Quote:
Maybe it was a loose connection or something. I swapped the cables on the original and WD20EARS drives and everything seemed to run OK.

I've got everything back together and am now looking at the "Just a few minutes more" screen"

Wish me luck

<Hawk_Harrelson>You can put it (where "it"=318 HD hours) on the board YES!!</Hawk_Harrelson>
Well? I can't hold my breath much longer!!

Oh...does that the last little entry mean success? Woo hoo! Congrats and enjoy!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #255
tiassa
Me --Avatar

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soundboard

play clip #5

I've got to run wdidle but I'm going to let the new drive burn in for a while
Old 09-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #256
richsadams

Quote:
http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soundboard

play clip #5

I've got to run wdidle but I'm going to let the new drive burn in for a while
Ah...got it! My brother-in-law would know that one for sure!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #257
yukit

Doh! I just discovered that one of my TivoHD repeatedly rebooting & GSOD is a known issue with the Broflovski image.

I thought my drive was failing, but I was hoping to repair the drive to save the recorded shows, but I guess they are unrecoverable now. Oh well.

Time to give JMFS a try. Maybe next weekend.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #258
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Just a couple of final notes on my upgrade:
The copy (once I got it working) took about 2 hours, this was with both drives connected to SATA ports on the motherboard of an Dual core AMD Phenom PC

Even thought my drive has a June 2011 manufacture date, it looks like I'm going to have to run wdidle on it, as I tried a "Warm boot" and it just sat there at the "powering up" screen it never got to the "Almost there" screen.

The WD20EARS drive runs a lot cooler than the original WD drive in the Tivo it was noticeably cooler to the touch, I guess there is something to this whole "Green drive" thing.

I've got a decent set of pictures of the whole process (I took them so that I would know how things went back together), If people think it is worthwhile I'll try to figure a way to post them somewhere, although once you open up the Tivo it is pretty obvious what needs to be done.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #259
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Even thought my drive has a June 2011 manufacture date, it looks like I'm going to have to run wdidle on it, as I tried a "Warm boot" and it just sat there at the "powering up" screen it never got to the "Almost there" screen.
I didn't take any chances when I did my upgrade. I ran wdidle whether it was needed or not. Only added a couple of minutes to the upgrade process.
Next time you'll know better.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #260
yukit

I can at least confirm that a newer WD20EARS drive (my build is Jun 16) does not support AAM. The hdparm command returns unsupported error.

I am still in a process of getting the new 2TB drive to work using JMFS, but my TivoHD claims there is a problem with the hardware, though the tuners are working fine.
My TivoHD's serial number is not recognized in the account info page. It is 652- with a bunch of zeroes.

I am trying C&DE now to see if it will do anything.
If this does not work, I am going back to my temporary 1GB drive.

What I also would like to find out is, what can I do with the old 2TB "Broflovski" image gone bad? It is showing the GSOD repeated rebooting symptom,but the drive itself is fine under diagnostics. It would be nice to "fix" the drive so I can at least plug it in my spare TivoHD to watch the rest of shows.
XL 658
S2 540
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #261
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post
I can at least confirm that a newer WD20EARS drive (my build is Jun 16) does not support AAM. The hdparm command returns unsupported error.

I am still in a process of getting the new 2TB drive to work using JMFS, but my TivoHD claims there is a problem with the hardware, though the tuners are working fine.
My TivoHD's serial number is not recognized in the account info page. It is 652- with a bunch of zeroes.

What I also would like to find out is, what can I do with the old 2TB "Broflovski" image gone bad? It is showing the GSOD repeated rebooting symptom,but the drive itself is fine under diagnostics. It would be nice to "fix" the drive so I can at least plug it in my spare TivoHD to watch the rest of shows.
I'm pretty sure you will find that the CDE is what was needed. Whenever you use another hard drive or image other than drive/image coupled to your Tivo's motherboard, CDE must be done.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #262
jfh3

I thought I saw this earlier in the thread, but can't find.

Can I take a virgin Premiere 320 drive expand it to 2TB and use it in a Premiere XL without any trouble?

I know I will have to do a CADE on initial setup, but should there be any other issues?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:32 AM   #263
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
I'm pretty sure you will find that the CDE is what was needed. Whenever you use another hard drive or image other than drive/image coupled to your Tivo's motherboard, CDE must be done.
Yep. That was the issue. I must have used the original hard drive from another TivoHD for the source of JMFS. Thanks.
XL 658
S2 540
Old 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #264
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post

You are talking about watching the shows on the actual TiVo on which they were recorded, right? Since those recordings are tied to the TiVo Service Number of the unit on which they were recorded?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #265
Alvysyngr

I burned JMFS to a cd to boot to, added my TiVo s3 250gb drive and a 2tb wd drive, when I boot it goes through Linux boot up and get to a screen that says "there were no TiVo drives detected on your system. If you are planning to add a drive using USB do it now....". What am I doing wrong? Is there a certain sata order?
Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #266
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvysyngr View Post
I burned JMFS to a cd to boot to, added my TiVo s3 250gb drive and a 2tb wd drive, when I boot it goes through Linux boot up and get to a screen that says "there were no TiVo drives detected on your system. If you are planning to add a drive using USB do it now....". What am I doing wrong? Is there a certain sata order?
I'm curious as to how you are connecting the SATA drives. Are you plugging them into the motherboard? If so, the first thing to do is see if the computer's BIOS recognizes the presence of the SATA drives. If you are using a USB to SATA converter, I would try plugging the drives into different USB ports, I've seen computers that have "issues" with USB drives plugged into one USB Port but not another.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #267
Alvysyngr

Quote:
I'm curious as to how you are connecting the SATA drives. Are you plugging them into the motherboard? If so, the first thing to do is see if the computer's BIOS recognizes the presence of the SATA drives. If you are using a USB to SATA converter, I would try plugging the drives into different USB ports, I've seen computers that have "issues" with USB drives plugged into one USB Port but not another.
I just read that the method I was trying doesn't work with my oled box. Off to find those directions. Sigh
Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #268
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvysyngr View Post
I just read that the method I was trying doesn't work with my oled box. Off to find those directions. Sigh
Unfortunately there are no "directions" that will allow you to upgrade your original Series3 TiVo to anything more than 1.3TB's. Here are the instructions for upgrading the original Series3:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #269
tiassa
Me --Avatar

OK, with Tivo#2 happily upgraded to 2tb, it is time to deal with Tivo#1. Tivo#1 is a THD with the default 160gb drive and the 500gb My DVR Expander. It has been active for a little more than 3 years and is showing "distant early warning" signs of Disk trouble (minor recording glitches, some pixellation), which is why I upgraded Tivo#2 first (Tivo#2 is sort of the Backup, we use it to record when both tuners on #1 are occupied) if Tivo#1 went south I could swap it out)
My question is: IS there a way to upgrade a THD and My DVR expander, can I plug them all into SATA ports on a PC and have JMFS "see" all of them? I'm thinking this is not the case, but I would be nice to keep the content that is currently on the drive (a lot of which is copy protected). I can physically swap the 2 Tivos, but then I'd have to rename them (they are currently named "office" and "Living Room") and change over all the season passes.
I'm just looking for general advice nothing is critical at the moment so since I have time to think about what to do next I figured I'd get some advice from those who know more that I.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #270
richsadams

Quote:
OK, with Tivo#2 happily upgraded to 2tb, it is time to deal with Tivo#1. Tivo#1 is a THD with the default 160gb drive and the 500gb My DVR Expander. It has been active for a little more than 3 years and is showing "distant early warning" signs of Disk trouble (minor recording glitches, some pixellation), which is why I upgraded Tivo#2 first (Tivo#2 is sort of the Backup, we use it to record when both tuners on #1 are occupied) if Tivo#1 went south I could swap it out)
My question is: IS there a way to upgrade a THD and My DVR expander, can I plug them all into SATA ports on a PC and have JMFS "see" all of them? I'm thinking this is not the case, but I would be nice to keep the content that is currently on the drive (a lot of which is copy protected).
Your thinking is correct. You have to properly divorce your Expander prior to upgrading. Unfortunately you cannot save the recordings made from the point that the Expander was attached. You could transfer your (non copy-protected) recordings to your "new" TiVo. You could also save them to your computer via TiVo Desktop or a third-party application like KMTTG and then moving them back later (although transferring them is much easier unless you want to archive any on your computer).

Quote:
I can physically swap the 2 Tivos, but then I'd have to rename them (they are currently named "office" and "Living Room") and change over all the season passes.
That's exactly what I've done a couple of times. Renaming them is easy on tivo.com (give them a day or so to reflect the name change). If you use the Season Pass Manager on tivo.com you can easily copy SP's from one TiVo to the other...takes only a couple of minutes.