TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #181
lpwcomp

I am not sure why the original drive must be reinstalled in the TiVo so its software is updated. Can't you just update the new drive once it is installed?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #182
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I am not sure why the original drive must be reinstalled in the TiVo so its software is updated. Can't you just update the new drive once it is installed?
If you mean something like a 2TB drive, I think the earlier versions of the software don't support anything that large, so your new huge TiVo might not be able to boot. Besides, why not have an updated 320GB drive on the shelf as a backup? And if you have a cable card, everybody says to get it paired while you're still using the original drive so the pairing will be backed up, too. (I'm OTA only, so I don't know cable cards.)
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #183
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Tivo firmware (software available built-in to the TiVo box but no on the hard drive) has no capability. Period. It cannot do anything on its own. So when you put in a blank drive, the TiVo does nothing. At all.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #184
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Tivo firmware (software available built-in to the TiVo box but no on the hard drive) has no capability. Period. It cannot do anything on its own. So when you put in a blank drive, the TiVo does nothing. At all.
I think the OP meant why does he have to first update his original TiVo drive prior to upgrading to a larger drive (assuming he's using the original TiVo drive to image the new one).

IIRC (as David mentions) there's something about the older TiVo software that prevents jmfs from doing its magic. Hence updating the original hard drive first is a necessity.

Last edited by richsadams : 07-17-2011 at 06:26 PM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #185
richsadams

Quote:
Per my note above, it's not an option unless you have updated your original hard drive fairly recently.

Updating the original drive shouldn't take very long at all. Simply install the original hard drive and force a connection to TiVo until it downloads. (It may take several connections before the update will appear.)

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages and settings
3. Settings
4. Phone and network
5. Connect to the TiVo service now

Once the download has finished and loaded look at the "Last Status" line on that screen or in System Information and if it says "Pending restart". Then reboot TiVo via the menu screens:

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages & Setup
3. Restart or reset system
4. Restart the TiVo DVR

Or you can simply unplug it, wait about 10 seconds for the hard drive to spin down and plug it back in. Once it's rebooted and it's up and running with the latest software you can then power TiVo down, pull the original drive and use it to image your new one.

Whatever you do, don't cut corners. The jmfs program is dead simple...just follow all of the steps and you'll be good to go.

Happy upgrading!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #186
lpwcomp

This was more for the future. My original hard drive is still installed but is showing signs of imminent failure - it got wonky while watching a previously recorded program and then rebooted. It also got "Fail 7" in all three parts of the kickstart 54 initial test. I have ordered a new drive with the hope that I will still be able to image a new drive from the old one and then will store the old drive away. If at some point the new drive dies catastrophically, I wouldn't want to stress the old drive any more than absolutely necessary.

This is on the HD. The new drive is only 1TB, which was about all I could afford. Couldn't really afford even that right now but I am trying to avoid the cost of instantcake.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #187
richsadams

Quote:
This was more for the future. My original hard drive is still installed but is showing signs of imminent failure - it got wonky while watching a previously recorded program and then rebooted. It also got "Fail 7" in all three parts of the kickstart 54 initial test. I have ordered a new drive with the hope that I will still be able to image a new drive from the old one and then will store the old drive away. If at some point the new drive dies catastrophically, I wouldn't want to stress the old drive any more than absolutely necessary.

This is on the HD. The new drive is only 1TB, which was about all I could afford. Couldn't really afford even that right now but I am trying to avoid the cost of instantcake.
Try to keep the current drive's "stress level" to a minimum and you s/b fine.

Best of luck and let us know how the upgrade goes!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #188
Flyinace2000

I am thinking of ugrading this summer while not much is on so i don't have to worry about transfering 2 questions.

Can I do this on a Mac or should i use my work PC laptop?

Second would either of these drives work well?

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Cache: 32MB
Average Seek Time: 8.9ms
Average Latency: 5.52ms
Features: 667GB Formatted Capacity Per Disk Environment friendly product with RoHS compliance Improved performance with dual-ARM based firmware Improved recording stability over temperature with PMR ATA S.M.A.R.T. Compliant Advanced dynamic FOD control for best data integrity ATA Automatic Acoustic Management Feature Intelligent compensation of external disturbance ATA 48-bit Address Feature SATA Native Command Queuing Feature ATA Device Configuration Overlay Feature Device Initiated
Model #: HD204UI

Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Cache: 64MB
Features: Long-term Reliability - These drives are designed to last in high temperature always-on streaming digital audio/video environments such as PVR/DVR, DVR recorders and surveillance video recorders. Reduced Power Consumption - WD has reduced power consumption by up to 40 percent compared to competitors' drives with the combination of WD's IntelliSeek, IntelliPark,
Parts: 3 years limited
Labor: 3 years limited
Model #: WD20EURS
Item #: N82E16822136783

Both are about $100 on newegg
Flyinace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #189
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000 View Post
I am thinking of ugrading this summer while not much is on so i don't have to worry about transfering 2 questions.

Can I do this on a Mac or should i use my work PC laptop?
It depends on the Mac. jmfs requires both the existing and upgrade drive to be connected to the computer at the same time for the image transfer. The best/fastest way is via direct SATA connections to the motherboard. If you have a Mac Pro that should be easy enough. Otherwise if you have an iMac or Mac Mini you'd need two SATA/USB adapters or two SATA/USB docks or a combination of the two. (Note that a dual SATA/USB dock will not work...each drive has to have it's own connection.) Laptops have always been a challenge as they have to use the adapters or docks and some have had issues with the BIOS settings, but some have successfully upgraded using them (Mac and PC).

Quote:
Second would either of these drives work well?

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Cache: 32MB
Average Seek Time: 8.9ms
Average Latency: 5.52ms
Features: 667GB Formatted Capacity Per Disk Environment friendly product with RoHS compliance Improved performance with dual-ARM based firmware Improved recording stability over temperature with PMR ATA S.M.A.R.T. Compliant Advanced dynamic FOD control for best data integrity ATA Automatic Acoustic Management Feature Intelligent compensation of external disturbance ATA 48-bit Address Feature SATA Native Command Queuing Feature ATA Device Configuration Overlay Feature Device Initiated
Model #: HD204UI

Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Cache: 64MB
Features: Long-term Reliability - These drives are designed to last in high temperature always-on streaming digital audio/video environments such as PVR/DVR, DVR recorders and surveillance video recorders. Reduced Power Consumption - WD has reduced power consumption by up to 40 percent compared to competitors' drives with the combination of WD's IntelliSeek, IntelliPark,
Parts: 3 years limited
Labor: 3 years limited
Model #: WD20EURS
Item #: N82E16822136783

Both are about $100 on newegg
AFAIK the Sammy is an unknown here. The WD20EURS has been used to successfully upgrade TiVo's by a number of TCF members and would be a good choice.

Another option is the WD20EARS. For all intents and purposes it will do the same job as the EURS. The only difference (again, with respect to TiVo) is that the AAM default is 254 as opposed to the EARS' 128. The EARS is very quiet out of the box, but if you wanted to match the AAM of the EURS you can use HDDscan to adjust it to make it quieter.

Note that either Western Digital drive may need the Intellipark setting adjusted per Section IV, #29 of the original Drive Upgrade FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #190
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Another option is the WD20EARS. For all intents and purposes it will do the same job as the EURS. The only difference (again, with respect to TiVo) is that the AAM default is 254 as opposed to the EARS' 128. The EARS is very quiet out of the box, but if you wanted to match the AAM of the EURS you can use HDDscan to adjust it to make it quieter.

Note that either Western Digital drive may need the Intellipark setting adjusted per Section IV, #29 of the original Drive Upgrade FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
The newer WD EARS will not let you adj the AAM using any program, this has been my experience for the last few months, WD could change that again I guess but you would not know until you tried. I did find the drive very quiet out of the box so it was not any problem. I did run WDIDLE3 /d as a precaution.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #191
lpwcomp

I installed a WD10EARS in my HD early Sunday morning. I used WinMFS for the imaging. I had no recordings to save so I used a friends laptop and a USB SATA drive bay. Ran WinMFS to create a truncated backup from the original drive, restored it to the new drive, expanded and Supersized it. Very easy. Used my desktop computer to do wdidle. I couldn't use the desktop to do the imaging as I am still running Win2k. Actually, I was hoping to get away w/o running wdidle but either the TiVo softboot hung or I got impatient.

To Flyinace2000: If this is a TiVo HD you will have to use the laptop and WinMFS to Supersize it. Of course, that assumes that the laptop isn't running Win2k or XP.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 07-26-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #192
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The newer WD EARS will not let you adj the AAM using any program, this has been my experience for the last few months, WD could change that again I guess but you would not know until you tried. I did find the drive very quiet out of the box so it was not any problem. I did run WDIDLE3 /d as a precaution.
Hi Les...I may be mistaken, but I'm almost certain a TCF member used HDDscan to adjust the AAM on an EARS fairly recently. Not enough time to scroll back (or it may be on another thread). In any case, that's a possibility, but based on the one we have, they are as quiet as the OEM TiVo drive w/o any adjustments so still probably a good option. If it were being used in a bedroom or somewhere where silence is golden, then I'd go with the EURS.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #193
lessd

Quote:
Hi Les...I may be mistaken, but I'm almost certain a TCF member used HDDscan to adjust the AAM on an EARS fairly recently. Not enough time to scroll back (or it may be on another thread). In any case, that's a possibility, but based on the one we have, they are as quiet as the OEM TiVo drive w/o any adjustments so still probably a good option. If it were being used in a bedroom or somewhere where silence is golden, then I'd go with the EURS.
In the last three months I have upgraded 3 TPs with the WD EARS and using HDDscan or the Hitachi diag boot CD I could not change the AAM, In 2010 I had no problem with the WD EARS and changing the AAM. If I purchased a WD EARS today I may not have the problem, I just don't know. The WD EARS are quiet anyways and have been no problem for the friends I have upgraded.
Any new information from anybody with a recent WD EARS purchase would be appreciated.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #194
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Any new information from anybody with a recent WD EARS purchase would be appreciated.
+1
Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #195
lpwcomp

Based on what I had read around here, I didn't even try to adjust AAM on my WD10EARS last weekend.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #196
richsadams

Quote:
Based on what I had read around here, I didn't even try to adjust AAM on my WD10EARS last weekend.
They are pretty darned quiet out of the box for sure.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #197
Flyinace2000

Yeah the laptop runs Win7. I have a USB-SATA adapter and i ordered a USB/SATA Dock along with the EARS driver. Just burned the live CDs. Soon as UPS gets here i can get started. Is the wdidle step still needed and if so can i do it via USB?

Also, since i am doing this all via USB can i just do it in VMWare?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #198
richsadams

Quote:
Yeah the laptop runs Win7. I have a USB-SATA adapter and i ordered a USB/SATA Dock along with the EARS driver. Just burned the live CDs. Soon as UPS gets here i can get started. Is the wdidle step still needed and if so can i do it via USB?

Also, since i am doing this all via USB can i just do it in VMWare?
If you need to adjust the Intellipark setting with wdidle3.exe it has to be connected directly to a SATA port, USB won't work. It's possible that you won't need to adjust it though. The only way to find out would be to perform the upgrade and install it, see if it boots up (might take two or three attempts) and if it does try a menu restart. If both go well, you're golden. If either fail you'll need to adjust it per the instructions:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160 (Section IV, #29)

Some folks just make the adjustment so they don't have to pull the drive a second time...your call of course.

Happy upgrading!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #199
Flyinace2000

I don't have a computer with available SATA ports (laptop/iMac/PowerMacG5). The PowerMacG5 has the ports...but you know PPC...so that won't work.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #200
mattack

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with running on a Mac, but I'll just mention I'm on a Mac, running the latest jmfs (104).

It says "Press Ctrl-C to interrupt", while it's doing the copying.. But I wasn't able to actually get it to stop.. it would just overwrite the ^Cs on the screen and keep going. I even held down ^C.

I was originally expanding to an external USB<>SATA dock, but that's pretty slow, so I wanted to stop it and put the drive inside.. had to power down the machine.

No big deal, just wanted to report it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #201
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with running on a Mac, but I'll just mention I'm on a Mac, running the latest jmfs (104).

It says "Press Ctrl-C to interrupt", while it's doing the copying.. But I wasn't able to actually get it to stop.. it would just overwrite the ^Cs on the screen and keep going. I even held down ^C.

I was originally expanding to an external USB<>SATA dock, but that's pretty slow, so I wanted to stop it and put the drive inside.. had to power down the machine.

No big deal, just wanted to report it.
Understood. I think the instructions are referring to a Windows keyboard. Did you happen to try Command+C? Just wondering if that would do it since Command is equal to Control.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #202
mattack

Quote:
Understood. I think the instructions are referring to a Windows keyboard. Did you happen to try Command+C? Just wondering if that would do it since Command is equal to Control.
Umm, no. Windows uses control like Apple uses command, but other than that they have nothing to do with each other.

Macs run real UNIX, and thus use control-C.. ESPECIALLY since I'm running a Linux CD!! (it's only Mac hardware in that case.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #203
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Umm, no. Windows uses control like Apple uses command, but other than that they have nothing to do with each other.

Macs run real UNIX, and thus use control-C.. ESPECIALLY since I'm running a Linux CD!! (it's only Mac hardware in that case.)
I was thinking more in the respect that for instance to copy some text on a Windows keyboard you press Control+C. On a Mac keyboard you press Command+C to do the same thing. In that respect they are equal. Got it otherwise.

Best of luck.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #204
Flyinace2000

I need of some help...

JMFS wouldn't detect my TiVO drive. So i did some troubleshooting and the drive that is in the USB dock doesn't show up in "fdisk -l". I use my usb-SATA adapter the drive shows up. Any ideas?

Here is the hardware i am talking about
http://www.amazon.com/Diablotek-EN35.../dp/B00346I5LI
Old 07-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #205
Flyinace2000

Also. Teh results of fdisk -l are this

SDA (160gb)
sda1 (NTFS)
sda2 (NTFS)

SDB 2000GB (unpartitionsed - new drive)

So SDA is my boot drive. Is there anything i need to do to make sure that doesn't get wiped?

Also when I look at cd /dev/sd (tab tab) it lists
sda sda1 sda2 sdb sdc

is SDC just a place holder or is it only sort of showing up? Do i need to mount it manually?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #206
Flyinace2000

And for the record, the dock works when pluged into the iMac.

Sorry for the stream of posts :-)
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #207
Flyinace2000

Emergency over.

For some reason the TiVo drive did not like being in the dock. So i put the tivo on the USB Adatper and 2TB drive in the dock and everything worked. Currently copying.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #208
richsadams

Quote:
Emergency over.

For some reason the TiVo drive did not like being in the dock. So i put the tivo on the USB Adatper and 2TB drive in the dock and everything worked. Currently copying.

Thanks!
Interesting. No idea why that would be but glad things are working.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #209
Flyinace2000

So for kicks i tried to do a reboot. I am stuck at the WELCOME POWERING UP screen. Is this what wdidle3.exe fixes?

If so, i don't have any options unless there is a way to fake a SATA connection in a VM or i plug into my laptop.

Also, how big of a deal is this? The Tivo doesn't do soft reboots very often and if one does happen for a software update couldn't i just pull the power and reboot?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #210
richsadams

Quote:
So for kicks i tried to do a reboot. I am stuck at the WELCOME POWERING UP screen. Is this what wdidle3.exe fixes?

If so, i don't have any options unless there is a way to fake a SATA connection in a VM or i plug into my laptop.

Also, how big of a deal is this? The Tivo doesn't do soft reboots very often and if one does happen for a software update couldn't i just pull the power and reboot?
Yes, if you can conduct a hard boot/reboot (unplug TiVo and plug it back in) but can't get it to reboot from a menu restart, the Intellipark setting will likely need to be adjusted using wdidle3.exe.

That said, and as you surmise, it's really not a big deal. About the only time a soft reboot would come into play is when TiVo pushes an update. That happens three, sometimes four times a year. If you haven't made the Intellipark adjustment it just means that you'd come home to find TiVo hanging at the "Welcome! Poweing up..." screen and have to conduct a hard reboot. Keep in mind that while it's waiting that it's not recording anything so it could be inconvenient...particularly if you were away on vacation or something.

Some WD drives won't boot up at all without adjusting Intelipark. Others (like yours) will boot up okay but they can't handle a menu restart without the adjustment. Yet others don't need any adjustment at all. It seems to all depend on the drive, the date of manufacture and the alignment of the stars.

Other than using a direct SATA port on a PC's motherboard or a SATA port on a PCI card (not an eSATA connection), there really isn't any other way to successfully run wdidle3.exe. Perhaps you have a friend that has a PC?