TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #571
InFromTheCold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
It will only cost you the shipping, WD does a good job on RMAs, just pack it correctly, or better yet use the advance replacement (if they still offer it) and use the box the new drive came in to ship the old drive back.
The one thing you have to watch out for now is sometimes you may get back a bigger drive than you sent, may be ok unless the drive is over 2Tb, happen to me, so I sold it on E-Bay and got enough money to purchase a 2Tb drive from Amazon.com.
Well, I'd be happy to have a resolution like that! Or even just an even return for another suitable 2T. I've still got all the packing materials, so I'm good to go on that score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Assuming none of the motherboards are GigaByte brand, can you open up either PC and connect the drive straight to a SATA port and the PC's power supply?

If so, before you do, make yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD and get back to me here.

Those USB/SATA dealies might not be able to handle anything bigger than a 1 TB. Their power supplies might not be as good as they were when new.

The good news is that, having used WinMFS before, you probably don't have a 16th Apple Free partition on the 1TB drive and can successfully use jmfs to copy it to a 2TB (with all settings and recordings intact) and then expand into the extra Terabyte.

Of course if WD were willing to swap you a WD20EURS for that EARS (get it in writing beforehand), I'd say take that deal and be done with it.
The idea of returning it is sounding more and more appealing. It occurs to me that I've already devoted quite a lot of time to this, and not gotten very far. I probably should cut my losses, and just see about getting an exchange. Meaning, I think I'm running out of enthusiasm for poking around inside the PCs. (Yeah, I know, I asked for advice about whether to keep fiddling, and now I'm backing away. What can I say, I think I just came to my senses!) If I get a new infusion of energy and decide to give it a whirl, I'll definitely post back here.

It's worrisome to think that the usb-sata controllers may be limited to 1T. The packaging on the Sabrent says any device, and doesn't state any limitation as to size, but of course 2T was probably fairly unheard of when this controller was manufactured. I would have thought that properly powered, the disc would at least spin, but then again I know little to nothing about such matters, I'm just conjecturing. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess.

BTW, that's welcome news about maybe not having that 16th partition to contend with.

Thanks to both of you for the help.
InFromTheCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #572
ggieseke

Send it back. Just make sure that you read ALL of the instructions on how to package and ship it. For instance, you have to write the RMA number on at least 3 sides of the box.

I have used WD's advanced replacement option several times and they never screwed up my credit card or anything. There will also be a link in the RMA instructions so that you can buy and print your own UPS shipping label. Easy as 3.14159265359...
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #573
InFromTheCold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Send it back. Just make sure that you read ALL of the instructions on how to package and ship it. For instance, you have to write the RMA number on at least 3 sides of the box.

I have used WD's advanced replacement option several times and they never screwed up my credit card or anything. There will also be a link in the RMA instructions so that you can buy and print your own UPS shipping label. Easy as 3.14159265359...

Old 02-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #574
InFromTheCold

Is the EARX not well suited to this application?

So, I got the replacement drive from WD today, and it's a 20EARX. According to the experience of this poster, the EARX does not permit AAM adjustments. Not too happy right now!

BTW, the CS rep I spoke to re: the RMA assured me that I would be getting the EARS, because they had plenty of them in stock. Sigh.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #575
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFromTheCold View Post
So, I got the replacement drive from WD today, and it's a 20EARX. According to the experience of this poster, the EARX does not permit AAM adjustments. Not too happy right now!

BTW, the CS rep I spoke to re: the RMA assured me that I would be getting the EARS, because they had plenty of them in stock. Sigh.
You
do not need AAM adj, the drive makes little noise as is.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #576
InFromTheCold

Quote:
You
do not need AAM adj, the drive makes little noise as is.
Great! (Sure hope my sharp-eared SO agrees...) I'll see if I can carve out the time to make the swap this weekend.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #577
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

I've got a bit of a delima. I've got a 1TB drive that was in my TiVo HD that appears to be going bad. I purchased a WD20EURS 2TB drive to replace it.

The drives were connected to my laptop with USB/SATA adapters. I do not have a computer with any SATA connections.

I was able to copy the 1TB drive to the 2TB drive with jmfs.

I want to expand the drive to use the full 2TB but cannot get winMFS to recognize the drive.

Nor have I been able to use wdidle3 on the WD20EURS. (using UBCD)

Can anyone let me know what I need to do to get winMFS and wdidle3 to recognize the drive?

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #578
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
I've got a bit of a delima. I've got a 1TB drive that was in my TiVo HD that appears to be going bad. I purchased a WD20EURS 2TB drive to replace it.

The drives were connected to my laptop with USB/SATA adapters. I do not have a computer with any SATA connections.

I was able to copy the 1TB drive to the 2TB drive with jmfs.

I want to expand the drive to use the full 2TB but cannot get winMFS to recognize the drive.

Nor have I been able to use wdidle3 on the WD20EURS. (using UBCD)

Can anyone let me know what I need to do to get winMFS and wdidle3 to recognize the drive?
You probably don't need to disable Intellipark on the WD20EURS, they seem to be coming from WD without it enabled in the first place these days.

I don't understand why WinMFS can't see the 2TB. Can it see the 1TB?

Since you used jmfs to copy to the 2TB, is there any reason not to use it to expand the 2TB?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #579
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
You probably don't need to disable Intellipark on the WD20EURS, they seem to be coming from WD without it enabled in the first place these days.

I don't understand why WinMFS can't see the 2TB. Can it see the 1TB?

Since you used jmfs to copy to the 2TB, is there any reason not to use it to expand the 2TB?
WinMFS does not show either drive. I assumed it was because they were connected via USB.

According to the instructions in the first post of this thread, it is recommended to not use jmfs since it was made for the TiVo Premiere box. Has that changed?

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #580
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Ok, got it working. I ran winMFS as Administrator and the USB attached drives showed up! All that trouble and it wasn't necessary.

From the thread I linked in my last post,
Quote:
If you already did the "turn on supersize" step with your source drive, you do not need to do it with the new drive as well - that setting will have been copied over already.
Duh!

Now I need to put the new drive in the TiVo and see if everything went as it should have.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #581
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
Ok, got it working. I ran winMFS as Administrator and the USB attached drives showed up! All that trouble and it wasn't necessary.

From the thread I linked in my last post,

Duh!

Now I need to put the new drive in the TiVo and see if everything went as it should have.
Um, you do know that "expand" and "supersize" are two different things? I only ask since you didn't mention doing a JMFS expand, just a copy.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #582
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Um, you do know that "expand" and "supersize" are two different things? I only ask since you didn't mention doing a JMFS expand, just a copy.
Actually, I did not. That's what I get for not paying closer attention.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #583
InFromTheCold

Quote:

Haven't had a chance to test the new EARX drive yet, but in case anyone else is interested in getting one, I see that it's available today from newegg for $85 w/ rebate, free shipping. Doesn't appear to be a refurb.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #584
RedWingsRULE!
306hrSA 318hrHD

Big Grin EARX WORKS, 318 hours in TiVoHD

Quote:
Haven't had a chance to test the new EARX drive yet, ...
You guys ROCK!!! TiVoHD with InstantCake’d 1TB to new EARX 2TB by following directions here. 1. JMFS copy, 2. MFS recreate partition 15, 3. JMFS expand, 4. WDIdle3 /D, 5. WinMFS Supersize. BOOM: 142 became 318 hours. To be safe, I did put into THD before 3 and 5 but it never said it needed to unpair. Thanks again all!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #585
tivobw

Smile Another successful TivoHD Upgrade to 2TB!

Awesome work by spike (WinMFS/MFSLive) and Comer (jmfs)!

Here's a little history..

I had originally upgraded my TivoHD from the stock unit (160GB HD, 20 HD hours) to a 1TB drive (Western Digital WD10EACS - http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B000X4PJG8) back in October of 2007. This gave me 131 HD hours. My wife was so pleased! I used WinMFS and it worked great, no issues whatsoever.

Fast forward to two weekends ago. We had noticed for the last several weeks that it seemed we were getting skipping video and pixellation during recorded video playback on the Tivo.. did some research and though inconclusive, looked like folks were suggesting to others encountering this problem to replace the hard drive to fix the issue. We had been close to filling up the 1TB drive anyway, so I knew it was probably a good time to upgrade.

Did some searching through the forums and found the awesome post by Tivoitis on using jmfs with TivoHD, to upgrade a TivoHD to 2TB: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179. I carefully reviewed the thread and pages and pages of follow-ups.

After thinking about it for a day, I ordered another Western Digital drive (this time a 2TB WD20EURS - http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-TB-Ha.../dp/B0042AG9V8). I figured the previous WD lasted 5+ years, so why not give them another chance? Plus, I'm still not sure if the hard drive was failing, but it just seemed like a good thing to try (plus, I was dying to know if I could upgrade the TivoHD to 2TB!).

The drive arrived via overnight shipping (though it took 3 days to process my order.. darn macmall.com!) so I received it this past weekend. The upgrade story is familiar; all I did was follow the document, essentially:
  • Burned copy of JMFS live v1.04 onto CD, as well as wdidle3.exe onto another boot CD
  • Removed the old 1TB drive from my TivoHD
  • Hooked up the 1TB drive from my TivoHD to a spare SATA port on my Windows 7 PC and booted up.. ran WinMFS as Admin and reviewed the partition table on the TivoHD hard drive. Rejoiced when I saw only 15 partitions! This meant no Apple_free partition, and jmfs would be able to add a 16th partition to utilize the other 1TB of my 2TB drive. (Thanks for the tip, teiland - http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...09#post8649609)
  • While I had the 1TB Tivo HD connected in WinMFS, I took a truncated backup, just in case I would need it down the road.
  • I powered down the Windows PC, removed my PC hard drive, Hooked up the TivoHD 1TB drive and the new WD20EURS 2TB drive to my PC
  • Booted into JMFS; copied data from old 1TB to new 2TB drive (no errors during the copy, hmm! So maybe my drive wasn't the cause of the skipping video???) This process took a while, probably more than 6 hours and less than 8 (I fell asleep and woke up and it was done copying). I had to do this so that I could preserve all of our old recordings.
  • Selected the menu option in JMFS to expand the new hard drive.. happened quickly.
  • Swapped out the old 1TB TivoHD and hooked up my Windows HD to first SATA port, then booted into Windows 7 and ran WinMFS as Administrator
  • Turned on SuperSize using WinMFS on the 2TB new Tivo HD
  • Since I had the drive hooked up in WinMFS already, took a truncated backup of my 2TB Tivo HD just in case I might need it in the future.
  • Shut down PC, booted up using wdidle boot CD and entered "wdidle3 /S300" to disable Intellipark. Received confirmation message that Idle3 timer had been "enabled and set to 300 seconds." (I got that wdidle command from this link: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=5616160)
  • Installed the new 2TB WD20EURS into the TivoHD. Agonizing wait while it booted up - probably took at least 5 minutes! But once it did.. BAM! 318 HD hours!!!

Weird thing I encountered: With the wdidle boot CD, I couldn't use the keyboard on one of my PCs. I suppose it didn't have USB drivers or whatever.. and that PC didn't have a PS/2 connector for a keyboard. I ended up having to use another PC (newer model), and the wdidle boot CD worked fine with that - was able to use the keyboard no problem. Odd.

Other than that, no issues. The TivoHD has been working great for the last several days. No issues and everything looks like it went well. No more skipping video, either... so perhaps it was the hard drive? I dunno. I think it's wonderful that the last 1TB hard drive gave us over 5 years of really great service, and it was kind enough not to fail 100%. This allowed us to gracefully upgrade to the 2TB!

Thanks a lot everyone! Maybe when this drive fills up 3TB will be possible? (Probably only with a hacked Tivo kernel!) I figure maybe by then (3 years from now?) I'll finally upgrade to a Tivo Premiere, then put the TivoHD in a bedroom upstairs.
tivobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #586
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivobw View Post
Awesome work by spike (WinMFS/MFSLive) and Comer (jmfs)!

Here's a little history..

I had originally upgraded my TivoHD from the stock unit (160GB HD, 20 HD hours) to a 1TB drive (Western Digital WD10EACS - http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B000X4PJG8) back in October of 2007. This gave me 131 HD hours. My wife was so pleased! I used WinMFS and it worked great, no issues whatsoever.

Fast forward to two weekends ago. We had noticed for the last several weeks that it seemed we were getting skipping video and pixellation during recorded video playback on the Tivo.. did some research and though inconclusive, looked like folks were suggesting to others encountering this problem to replace the hard drive to fix the issue. We had been close to filling up the 1TB drive anyway, so I knew it was probably a good time to upgrade.

Did some searching through the forums and found the awesome post by Tivoitis on using jmfs with TivoHD, to upgrade a TivoHD to 2TB: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179. I carefully reviewed the thread and pages and pages of follow-ups.

After thinking about it for a day, I ordered another Western Digital drive (this time a 2TB WD20EURS - http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-TB-Ha.../dp/B0042AG9V8). I figured the previous WD lasted 5+ years, so why not give them another chance? Plus, I'm still not sure if the hard drive was failing, but it just seemed like a good thing to try (plus, I was dying to know if I could upgrade the TivoHD to 2TB!).

The drive arrived via overnight shipping (though it took 3 days to process my order.. darn macmall.com!) so I received it this past weekend. The upgrade story is familiar; all I did was follow the document, essentially:
  • Burned copy of JMFS live v1.04 onto CD, as well as wdidle3.exe onto another boot CD
  • Removed the old 1TB drive from my TivoHD
  • Hooked up the 1TB drive from my TivoHD to a spare SATA port on my Windows 7 PC and booted up.. ran WinMFS as Admin and reviewed the partition table on the TivoHD hard drive. Rejoiced when I saw only 15 partitions! This meant no Apple_free partition, and jmfs would be able to add a 16th partition to utilize the other 1TB of my 2TB drive. (Thanks for the tip, teiland - http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...09#post8649609)
  • While I had the 1TB Tivo HD connected in WinMFS, I took a truncated backup, just in case I would need it down the road.
  • I powered down the Windows PC, removed my PC hard drive, Hooked up the TivoHD 1TB drive and the new WD20EURS 2TB drive to my PC
  • Booted into JMFS; copied data from old 1TB to new 2TB drive (no errors during the copy, hmm! So maybe my drive wasn't the cause of the skipping video???) This process took a while, probably more than 6 hours and less than 8 (I fell asleep and woke up and it was done copying). I had to do this so that I could preserve all of our old recordings.
  • Selected the menu option in JMFS to expand the new hard drive.. happened quickly.
  • Swapped out the old 1TB TivoHD and hooked up my Windows HD to first SATA port, then booted into Windows 7 and ran WinMFS as Administrator
  • Turned on SuperSize using WinMFS on the 2TB new Tivo HD
  • Since I had the drive hooked up in WinMFS already, took a truncated backup of my 2TB Tivo HD just in case I might need it in the future.
  • Shut down PC, booted up using wdidle boot CD and entered "wdidle3 /S300" to disable Intellipark. Received confirmation message that Idle3 timer had been "enabled and set to 300 seconds." (I got that wdidle command from this link: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=5616160)
  • Installed the new 2TB WD20EURS into the TivoHD. Agonizing wait while it booted up - probably took at least 5 minutes! But once it did.. BAM! 318 HD hours!!!

Weird thing I encountered: With the wdidle boot CD, I couldn't use the keyboard on one of my PCs. I suppose it didn't have USB drivers or whatever.. and that PC didn't have a PS/2 connector for a keyboard. I ended up having to use another PC (newer model), and the wdidle boot CD worked fine with that - was able to use the keyboard no problem. Odd.

Other than that, no issues. The TivoHD has been working great for the last several days. No issues and everything looks like it went well. No more skipping video, either... so perhaps it was the hard drive? I dunno. I think it's wonderful that the last 1TB hard drive gave us over 5 years of really great service, and it was kind enough not to fail 100%. This allowed us to gracefully upgrade to the 2TB!

Thanks a lot everyone! Maybe when this drive fills up 3TB will be possible? (Probably only with a hacked Tivo kernel!) I figure maybe by then (3 years from now?) I'll finally upgrade to a Tivo Premiere, then put the TivoHD in a bedroom upstairs.
I think 2TB is going to be the upper limit for S3s from now on.

You should take that 1TB and run Western Digital's diagnostic long test on it.

And disable Intellipark on it as well, if you haven't already.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #587
dav1129

I don't own a TiVo but after familiarising myself with one I think I just might!

What I am doing is trying to help someone else.

A friend solicited my opinion and recommendation after the external drive for their TiVo gave up the ghost and telling me that they could neither buy another TiVo or another Expander as TiVo is ecept for customer support for existing devices, leaving Australia.

Not being familiar with at all with TiVo and having only ever had Topfield PVRs myself but hearing good things about them, I recommended they buy 1 TB Humax 7500T and an IceTV EPG subscription which they did. But I find out now that his partner doesn't much like the Humax and perhaps rightly, prefers her old TiVo.

So after looking into it I told them the whole buying only TiVo badged PVR Expanders from PVR thing seemed to me to be a revenue thing and unnecessary and volunteered to upgrade the 160GB drive in the TiVo.

Screenshot of Original drive System Information

So they shipped the Tivo from where they reside in Australia to where I reside in Australia, and I have so far, successfully backed up and copied the original drive to a 2TB hard drive Seagate, which I had on hand,expanded and super-sized it using WinMFS.

During the first attempt to expand the newly formatted 2TB drive I of course, prudently answered ‘YES’ to limiting the new drive to 1TB + the original 160GB when WinMFS told me that the new drives capacity was larger than a ‘stock’ TiVo could handle.

The result was 'up to 200 hours of HD and 400 hours for SD' and everything so far, working fine.

Screenshot of System Information after 2TB limited to 1TB + 160GB:

BUT not content with wasting the drive space and having read that it should be possible for a 2TB drive to utilise its full capacity, I repeated the procedure but THIS time answered ‘NO' to limiting the new drive to 1TB + the original 160GB when WinMFS told me that the new drives capacity was larger than a ‘stock’ TiVo could handle.

The result was 'up to 400 hours of HD and 800 hours for SD' and everything so far, working fine.

Screenshot of System Information after 2TB not limited to 1TB + 160GB:

But what is meant by 'up to'. I have seen that a 2TB should produce an HD recording capacity of about 317 hours?

Can anyone tell me what I:
  1. Have actually accomplished in either instance; and
  2. Should check in terms of settings for the Seagate drive before returning the TiVo to my friends?

PS I tried and could use the LINUX Boot CD method but the I only have notebooks and one SATA to USB adapter.

Look forward to and appreciate any replies.

Last edited by dav1129 : 02-21-2013 at 01:44 AM.
dav1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #588
lessd

I don't think many of us on TCF have had any experience with a TCD663160 so I don't know if we can help, we can only guess.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #589
dav1129

Quote:
I don't think many of us on TCF have had any experience with a TCD663160 so I don't know if we can help, we can only guess.
Okay, does this sound like an Australian specific model?

Anyway if everything seems to working I guess I could be happy and return the TiVo to my friends.

I just wish I knew what System Information means when it indicates 'up to 400 hours HD and up to 800 hours SD'

Less than 400, more than 200 hours or 317 hours as I have seen documented in a few YouTube videos?

So care to take a guess or would it be as good as mine?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #590
unitron

Maybe digital shows are smaller "down under".

Unlike the knives.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #591
dav1129

Quote:
Maybe digital shows are smaller "down under".

Unlike the knives.

No, except for local content and BBC stuff much the same rubbish as in the US ....

But knives?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #592
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav1129 View Post
No, except for local content and BBC stuff much the same rubbish as in the US ....

But knives?
Never saw "Crocodile Dundee"?

Crocodile Dundee - That's not a knife
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #593
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Is this Tivo 2 drives? The 160 + 2tb? That would explain the 400 hours hd.

It always says 'up to', since it is based upon standard usage. Different cable companies set their channel bandwidths different. The higher the bandwidth, the less that can be recorded.

On Fios here, some channels have bandwidths at 10-13 Mb/s, while Comcast sets quite a few to 2-5mb/s. You do the math
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #594
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Is this Tivo 2 drives? The 160 + 2tb? That would explain the 400 hours hd.
A TCD663160 is an Australian 160GB Series 3.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #595
lpwcomp

Australia uses DVB for digital rather than ATSC. That probably explains the 400 vs. 317. All TiVo capacity numbers are "up to" as actual capacity will depend on compression. What I find more interesting is the SD ( which includes TiVo compressed recordings from analog sources) is only twice that of the HD number. In the US, it is usually about 9x. Is PAL less compressible than NTSC?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #596
dav1129

Quote:
Never saw "Crocodile Dundee"?
Oh yes, I just didn't make the connection.

That's not a knife THIS is a knife............
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #597
dav1129

Quote:
Is this Tivo 2 drives?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
A TCD663160 is an Australian 160GB Series 3.
Correct, This TCD663160 is I think a series 3 TiVo

Quote:
The 160 + 2tb? That would explain the 400 hours HD. It always says 'up to', since it is based upon standard usage. Different cable companies set their channel bandwidths different. The higher the bandwidth, the less that can be recorded.
Maybe, but would that rationale then also apply to free-to-air digital TV? Either way I guess the 'up to' accounts then also for a mix both SD and HD channels.

But how come I have seen YouTube DIY installations where the System Information for new 2TB drive shows a precise 317 hours?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #598
dav1129

Quote:
Australia uses DVB for digital rather than ATSC. That probably explains the 400 vs. 317. All TiVo capacity numbers are "up to" as actual capacity will depend on compression.
Thanks for this reply/answer/suggestion. Yes we use DVB.

Quote:
What I find more interesting is the SD (which includes TiVo compressed recordings from analogue sources) is only twice that of the HD number. In the US, it is usually about 9x. Is PAL less compressible than NTSC?
No idea on that one.

But the BIG unanswered question with regard to creating a partition larger than 1TB and being too large for a stock TiVo to handle', however remains given I first answered YES to limiting the partition to 1TB and ended up with 'up to 200 hours of HD recording but then tried selecting NO and ended up with 'up to 400 hours'. In any other application I can imagine that the logical outcome to answering 'NO' to such a question, is that the process would not continue.

So what does this mean? Have I sent my friends an unknown quantity, a ticking time bomb?

With regard to an earlier assertion of mine, sorry, my bad: I only thought I had seen a precise figure. On closer inspection I see in fact, that those YouTube DIY also show US System Information with 'up to' 317 hours.

Last edited by dav1129 : 02-21-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #599
unitron

Whether a Series 3 platform can handle a partition larger than 1.2TB depends on whether it has the most recent version of the TiVo operating system software on it.

Here in the states that's 11.0k (plus some more numbers that vary depending on exactly which S3 it is).

If you're upgrading an old one, do the copy but don't expand, let it connect to the mothership until it updates itself and then expand.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #600
harry99
dls956

Replacing one HD drive with one from another HD

Bad run of luck - after replacing an old S2 with a Premiere 4 last month (taking advantage of the deal for a Premiere 4 with MoCA adapter, and then lifetime on one of my 1TB HDs for $99, the other one of my 1TB HDs died two days later with what appears to be a bad power supply. After some discusssions on the forums, decided to buy a new Premiere instead of fixing the power supply. Also got another MoCA adapter, and all seemed to be working fine.

Now the 1TB HD with the lifetime is making a lot of disk noise - so I thought I'd simply transfer the content I want to save (pretty quick with MoCA) to one of the Premieres, and replace the noisy 1TB disk drive with the now unused one from the HD with the bad power supply.

After thinking about it, guess I'm not sure if that will work or not. Any idea if it will just run, or do I have to go through a transfer from one TB disk to the other, or what? I obviously don't want to lose the lifetime, and thought I would keep the old HD around for parts, just didn't think I would need it so quickly - strange to have both HDs with problems in two weeks.

Would appreciate any help before I go down a path that I can't recover from.

Thanks.
harry99 is offline   Reply With Quote