TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #541
Melencio

I can create a bootable CD image. Looking through all the information that you've provided me, I think I'll have the entire weekend for this project.
Thanks for all the help Unitron. Incidentally, what do you think about a 4-5 year old TivoHD? Do you think it would hold up to another 2 years or so with a new hard drive? What part could give out next do you think?
Melencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #542
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melencio View Post
I can create a bootable CD image. Looking through all the information that you've provided me, I think I'll have the entire weekend for this project.
Thanks for all the help Unitron. Incidentally, what do you think about a 4-5 year old TivoHD? Do you think it would hold up to another 2 years or so with a new hard drive? What part could give out next do you think?
Probably some of the capacitors in the power supply if they're the ones affected by "capacitor plague".

Search this site for the word "capacitor" and you should find a lot to read.

If you can figure out which caps are connected directly between the +5 Vot output and ground and between the +12 Volt output and ground, you can replace them with the correct parts (high temp, low ESR) for about $10, maybe less.

Or you can wait until they've gone bad enough that you can spot them by the bulging tops or leakage.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #543
taylor0987

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

A good supply that's regulating the way it's supposed to should be able to take it in stride with little if any change in voltage.

As for the 320 drive, just restore an image onto it and try it in the TiVo to see if it works.

Once we've found the problem we can worry about expanding and supersizing and such.
OK I have been running off the expanded and supersized ST32000542AS 2TB drive for at least 2 weeks now and have 0 problems.
The WD20EURS that WD sent me as a replacement for my older 1.5tb must have a problem, even though it does not fail any WD tests. I will still try to get them to replace it as I want that storage in my WHS.
Thanks so much for your help Unitron.
taylor0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #544
ibteper

20Eurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
People have successfully used the EARS and the EURS.

I don't remember seeing any success stories for the EARX.
Dear Unitron
Sorry to contact you about this but as a newbie I'm totally lost. You seem to know a lot about upgrading.
I copied my original to a WD20eurs with JMFS after the supersize was successful I couldn't exit or shut down so I powered down. I could not run wdidle but tried the larger drive in my tivo anyway. The welcome screen comes on for a few seconds and restarts over and over. I replaced my original 320 gig drive and it works.
I have no idea what to do
Thanks for any guidance
Ira
ibteper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #545
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibteper View Post
Dear Unitron
Sorry to contact you about this but as a newbie I'm totally lost. You seem to know a lot about upgrading.
I copied my original to a WD20eurs with JMFS after the supersize was successful I couldn't exit or shut down so I powered down. I could not run wdidle but tried the larger drive in my tivo anyway. The welcome screen comes on for a few seconds and restarts over and over. I replaced my original 320 gig drive and it works.
I have no idea what to do
Thanks for any guidance
Ira
What's the model number of your TiVo?

320 suggests Premiere, not one of the S3s.

Did you use jmfs to supersize, or WinMFS?

Did you use WinMFS, or MFS Live, at all?

How did you have the drives connected to your computer?

Does your computer have a GigaByte brand motherboard?

How did you go about tryin to run wdidle3?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #546
cccoker

Ok, about to try this process to upgrade my THD... Just got a new WD20EURS drive, which has AF. Is the consensus: DO NOT use any jumper setting (eg pins 7-8, XP compatibility mode), and DO NOT use WD's alignment tool? Just run as-is according to OP?

Any recent WD20EURs success stories with extra advice would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone, wish me luck!
cccoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #547
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccoker View Post
Ok, about to try this process to upgrade my THD... Just got a new WD20EURS drive, which has AF. Is the consensus: DO NOT use any jumper setting (eg pins 7-8, XP compatibility mode), and DO NOT use WD's alignment tool? Just run as-is according to OP?

Just upgraded using that drive for a TP-4 no problems, I did run Widel3 (or whatever) just because when connected to the computer it is easy, and the green part of the drive has no use in a TiVo.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #548
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

What's a good going rate for selling a lifetime'd HD TiVo? It's working great, already been upgraded but a couple/few years back. I think to 1TB. I'm keeping the S3 generation Glo-remote.

Just received a lifetimed S4 Premiere from TiVo for just $425, shipped. Couldn't pass that up. Already have the 2TB WD20EURS from newegg.com @ $100 to drop in.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #549
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
What's a good going rate for selling a lifetime'd HD TiVo? It's working great, already been upgraded but a couple/few years back. I think to 1TB. I'm keeping the S3 generation Glo-remote.

Just received a lifetimed S4 Premiere from TiVo for just $425, shipped. Couldn't pass that up. Already have the 2TB WD20EURS from newegg.com @ $100 to drop in.
Use the advance search on E-Bay and check completed sales only and you will get the best answer anybody can give. On the E-Bay sale price check if shipping was extra.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #550
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccoker View Post

I did this a couple of months ago on a used lifetime HD that I picked up for my son who was going off to college. I did not do either the jumper settings or running the alignment tool.

So far it appears to be working well for him.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #551
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I did this a couple of months ago on a used lifetime HD that I picked up for my son who was going off to college. I did not do either the jumper settings or running the alignment tool.

So far it appears to be working well for him.

Scott
AF drives will not give you any problems as long as they are 2TB or less, I could not get a 2.5Tb drive to boot in a TP, even if I did not expand the drive.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #552
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I've had a WD20EURS running in my TiVo HD since June with no issues so far.
Oops, my TiVo HD wouldn't get past the "Almost There..." screen this morning. I was in a hurry to watch the 1:00 football games so I popped in my old 1 GB drive and it booted just fine. I'm not sure when I'll get to run the disk diags on my four month old WD20EURS due to Hurricane Sandy, but I'm not hopeful.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #553
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Oops, my TiVo HD wouldn't get past the "Almost There..." screen this morning. I was in a hurry to watch the 1:00 football games so I popped in my old 1 GB drive and it booted just fine. I'm not sure when I'll get to run the disk diags on my four month old WD20EURS due to Hurricane Sandy, but I'm not hopeful.
Hmm, my WD20EURS was able to pass the Western Digital long disk diags without a problem (~6 hour run time). My old 1 TB WD10EVCS works perfectly in my TiVo, so something weird is going on with the 2 TB disk. I'd guess that a kickstart 57 is the next thing to try...
Old 11-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #554
unitron

Quote:
Hmm, my WD20EURS was able to pass the Western Digital long disk diags without a problem (~6 hour run time). My old 1 TB WD10EVCS works perfectly in my TiVo, so something weird is going on with the 2 TB disk. I'd guess that a kickstart 57 is the next thing to try...
You could hook the EURS up to a PC and run WinMFS and mfsinfo to see if it's booting from 2-3-4 or 5-6-7, and then flip to the alternate.

Bootfix or fix bootpage or something like that in WinMFS has two options.

Option 1 sets it for 2-3-4, regardless of how it's set already, and Option 2 sets it for 5-6-7, regardless of how it's set.

And KS 58 supposedly does everything 57 does and a little more.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #555
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I did the kickstart 58, got the "Installing a service update" message but my TiVo HD just kept rebooting after that. No luck having it boot off the previous set of partitions either.

I did pull the logs and did see some weird checksum errors in tvlog:

Quote:
Nov 5 12:49:44 (none) MFS[171]: Failed to update total sector count
Nov 5 12:50:02 (none) FsNodeTable[237]: Inode page 117115 has bad CRC in primary
Nov 5 12:50:02 (none) MFS[237]: Dumping Zone data
Nov 5 12:50:15 (none) FsNodeTable[241]: Inode page 97615 has bad CRC in primary
Nov 5 12:52:56 (none) Billboard[322]: ERROR READING BILLBOARD! id = 589831 (GroupId: 9, ItemId: 7)
Nov 5 12:53:01 (none) FsNodeTable[360]: Inode page 86919 has bad CRC in primary
Nov 5 12:53:01 (none) MFS[360]: Dumping Zone data
Nov 5 12:53:12 (none) Activity TvRecorderActivity[360]: 0x04a898dc 0x004fd03c 0x005077e0 0x004e25e0 0x004e835c 0x0050ef08 0x004f1394 0x004dbdb0 0x00475fa0 0x00475dd4 0x00475d5c 0x00e30948 0x00e31198 0x007d0730 0x00e30a94 0x006ffc90 0x006f8120 0x0075d4e4 0x04a2be74 0x04a306fc 0x04a695ec 0x04a2d898 0x04a305cc 0x04a2e52c 0x04a3bdac 0x04a3bcb0 0x04a3bb60 0x04a3ad34
Nov 5 12:53:12 (none) Activity TvRecorderActivity[360]: Tmk Fatal Error: Activity TvRecorderActivity <360>: assertion failure
Nov 5 12:53:12 (none) Activity TvRecorderActivity[360]: Tmk Fatal Error: Thread died due to signal -2
Nov 5 12:53:12 (none) Activity TvRecorderActivity[360]: Invoking rule 834: rebooting system
At this point, I think I've spent enough time monkeying around with this. In the past I've had hard disks that I thought were going bad that would pass the manufacturer diags just fine (until they died anyway), so short of rebuilding my 2 TB disk from scratch I think it's not fixable in its current state.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #556
unitron

Just remember, a hard drive that's physically fine can have the software on it get scrambled by something beyond its control and not be to blame.

Unfortunately the semi-closed nature of TiVo software makes that a situation recovering from which is difficult or impossible.

If you're convinced the drive itself is bad, feel free to send it to me.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #557
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I suppose some sort of software driven corruption isn't out of the question. I'll probably just bite the bullet and repeat the 7 hour copy/expand on the 2 TB drive at some point. If it boots up cleanly, I'll keep it in my stash of drives as a spare.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #558
ciper

When running the JMFS tools from the command line and running MFSadd it assumes the device to be /dev/Hdb even though the command line argument correctly used /dev/Sda

There is something hardcoded incorrectly in one of the scripts. "/root/mfslayout.sh /dev/sda /dev/sdb" works properly BUT the space adding script assumes that you want /dev/sda /dev/Hdb and fails.

To see why I am asking please click here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9372955
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #559
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
When running the JMFS tools from the command line and running MFSadd it assumes the device to be /dev/Hdb even though the command line argument correctly used /dev/Sda

There is something hardcoded incorrectly in one of the scripts. "/root/mfslayout.sh /dev/sda /dev/sdb" works properly BUT the space adding script assumes that you want /dev/sda /dev/Hdb and fails.

To see why I am asking please click here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9372955
Is that supposed to be a valid link?

There's a thread on here with over 3 million pages?

Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #560
koolhand

Copying drive is taking too long? What am I doing wrong?

OK, I'm a newbie to the forum, but have skimmed this thread and the Premiere thread on upgrading HDD. I am trying to upgrade a Tivo HD to 2TB drive. Currently has a 400GB WD HDD that I upgraded 3-4 years ago w/ winmfs(?), and has been working fine, just space is filled up constantly and we have to delete old contents frequently.

Got the 2TB WD EURS drive, trying to do the copy entire 400GB drive over to the 2TB drive and keep contents. In middle of the "copying" process using JMFS boot CD image that I made from the links. I saw people post that copying should take like 8-12 hours for 500GB to 1TB drives?

But I'm coming up on 24 hours! Started at noon yesterday and it's still going. I do have a 5+ years old computer (Athlon 1.2 GHz, ?8GB ram) desktop that has internal SATA PCI controller that I bought for this upgrade, but it shouldn't take this long!

Question is, is the msg on the screen an indicator of progress of the copy? For example, it has on my screen: ipos: 73270 kB, opos: 73270, errsize: 209 kb, errors: 1, current rate 712 B/s, average rate 863 B/s, Copying non-tried blocks....

At this rate (haven't done the math) but it's going to take forever if it's at 73270 kB and there is 400 GB of stuff..

Should I just abort, delete non-essential programs, start over? SATA PCI controller is "generic", figure it's SATA speed should be set, don't think it's that. My slow computer? Setting on the new drive? I read about the EURS drive, I just left all the jumpers in place and didn't mess w/ it.

Last edited by koolhand : 12-19-2012 at 11:32 AM.
koolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #561
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolhand View Post
OK, I'm a newbie to the forum, but have skimmed this thread and the Premiere thread on upgrading HDD. I am trying to upgrade a Tivo HD to 2TB drive. Currently has a 400GB WD HDD that I upgraded 3-4 years ago w/ winmfs(?), and has been working fine, just space is filled up constantly and we have to delete old contents frequently.

Got the 2TB WD EURS drive, trying to do the copy entire 400GB drive over to the 2TB drive and keep contents. In middle of the "copying" process using JMFS boot CD image that I made from the links. I saw people post that copying should take like 8-12 hours for 500GB to 1TB drives?

But I'm coming up on 24 hours! Started at noon yesterday and it's still going. I do have a 5+ years old computer (Athlon 1.2 GHz, ?8GB ram) desktop that has internal SATA PCI controller that I bought for this upgrade, but it shouldn't take this long!

Question is, is the msg on the screen an indicator of progress of the copy? For example, it has on my screen: ipos: 73270 kB, opos: 73270, errsize: 209 kb, errors: 1, current rate 712 B/s, average rate 863 B/s, Copying non-tried blocks....

At this rate (haven't done the math) but it's going to take forever if it's at 73270 kB and there is 400 GB of stuff..

Should I just abort, delete non-essential programs, start over? SATA PCI controller is "generic", figure it's SATA speed should be set, don't think it's that. My slow computer? Setting on the new drive? I read about the EURS drive, I just left all the jumpers in place and didn't mess w/ it.
The jumper block on the EURS is to the right of the power and data connectors and should probably not have any jumpers installed as it comes from the factory.

Are there any installed on yours?

If so, which pins?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #562
koolhand

No jumpers installed. Sticker on drive says ready to use if not doing the winXP Adv formatting stuff, etc, so I left everything alone.

Just an update: I aborted the copy process after 27 hrs. Ran WD diagnostic on the 2TB drive in DOS and it failed the short test w/ msg: Missing Test Tracks, error/status code: 0229. Called WD tech support and they couldn't tell me the problem or what the code meant. They offered to RMA the drive. I said I'll call them back tomorrow to take them up on the offer. Wanted to try a few more things tonight.

So I got back into winXP on my old desktop, did WD diag windows version this time and it was able to past the SMART test, ran the short WD diag test and it passed. In process of doing the long scan now. Weird. Could be my SATA controller and/or SATA cables. When I first hooked up drive, computer wouldn't boot gave long beeps. Thought it was a loose connection, so changed out data cable, moved to another PCI slot, then was able to boot, SATA controller recognized drive, JMFS recognized the drive (only after a Retry to scan system again). Problem started as copy process took forever w/ 1 error msg that popped up right away.

So I guess it's either the SATA controller/cable and/or drive itself. Will find out in the morning what the long scan says...

In the meantime I rehooked old 400GB to Tivo HD and just deleted half my kid's cartoon episodes so that when the 2TB drive issue is resolved there won't be that many programs to copy over.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #563
unitron

Quote:
No jumpers installed. Sticker on drive says ready to use if not doing the winXP Adv formatting stuff, etc, so I left everything alone.

Just an update: I aborted the copy process after 27 hrs. Ran WD diagnostic on the 2TB drive in DOS and it failed the short test w/ msg: Missing Test Tracks, error/status code: 0229. Called WD tech support and they couldn't tell me the problem or what the code meant. They offered to RMA the drive. I said I'll call them back tomorrow to take them up on the offer. Wanted to try a few more things tonight.

So I got back into winXP on my old desktop, did WD diag windows version this time and it was able to past the SMART test, ran the short WD diag test and it passed. In process of doing the long scan now. Weird. Could be my SATA controller and/or SATA cables. When I first hooked up drive, computer wouldn't boot gave long beeps. Thought it was a loose connection, so changed out data cable, moved to another PCI slot, then was able to boot, SATA controller recognized drive, JMFS recognized the drive (only after a Retry to scan system again). Problem started as copy process took forever w/ 1 error msg that popped up right away.

So I guess it's either the SATA controller/cable and/or drive itself. Will find out in the morning what the long scan says...
Run the WD diags on the 400GB as well before proceeding.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #564
koolhand

Another update for anyone still interested in my upgrade drama:
Long story short, it was the SATA controller, as I suspected all along. Long WD diag in windows on the 2TB stopped after 1 hr, stuck on a sector. Ordered another controller from Amazon that came in a retail box (thank goodness for Prime shipping, ordered Thurs before noon, got it next day Fri around noon, was supposed to take 2 days!). Popped the thing in, used the SATA cables that came w/ it, ran a few tests. BTW, the 1st SATA controller somehow read my 400GB old drive and new 2TB drives as both being 2TB, and while trying to do a quick erase the night before, w/ the diag prog, accidentally erased my Tivo HD 400GB drive instead, GASP! Lucky I was able to dig out my original 160GB drive, was able to revive things by popping that into TIVO, let it update to latest, then pop back into desktop w/ new SATA controller, restored the 400GB drive, then restored to 2TB drive from the 160GB original. Did the expand and supersized per instruction and I'm all set! Approx 318 hours of HD! A process that should have taken me like 5-6 hrs took about 3-4 days to troubleshoot. Lost all my programs I had originally wanted to save, but a clean start. After what I went through, I don't think I had the patience to wait another 6-7 hrs to copy all that over... Didn't have the patience to do the long diag test on the 2TB drive, either it was going to work or not and i was going to RMA the drive anyway if it didn't work, gave it a go and the 2TB is in it's new home in the Tivo HD recording away at some reprogrammed Season Passes..

Lesson learned: don't get el cheapo generic SATA controller from Ebay when your data (and time) matters!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #565
unitron

Quote:
Another update for anyone still interested in my upgrade drama:
Long story short, it was the SATA controller, as I suspected all along. Long WD diag in windows on the 2TB stopped after 1 hr, stuck on a sector. Ordered another controller from Amazon that came in a retail box (thank goodness for Prime shipping, ordered Thurs before noon, got it next day Fri around noon, was supposed to take 2 days!). Popped the thing in, used the SATA cables that came w/ it, ran a few tests. BTW, the 1st SATA controller somehow read my 400GB old drive and new 2TB drives as both being 2TB, and while trying to do a quick erase the night before, w/ the diag prog, accidentally erased my Tivo HD 400GB drive instead, GASP! Lucky I was able to dig out my original 160GB drive, was able to revive things by popping that into TIVO, let it update to latest, then pop back into desktop w/ new SATA controller, restored the 400GB drive, then restored to 2TB drive from the 160GB original. Did the expand and supersized per instruction and I'm all set! Approx 318 hours of HD! A process that should have taken me like 5-6 hrs took about 3-4 days to troubleshoot. Lost all my programs I had originally wanted to save, but a clean start. After what I went through, I don't think I had the patience to wait another 6-7 hrs to copy all that over... Didn't have the patience to do the long diag test on the 2TB drive, either it was going to work or not and i was going to RMA the drive anyway if it didn't work, gave it a go and the 2TB is in it's new home in the Tivo HD recording away at some reprogrammed Season Passes..

Lesson learned: don't get el cheapo generic SATA controller from Ebay when your data (and time) matters!
And always triple check which drive is which and if possible don't have any drives attached that don't absolutely have to be at that time.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #566
InFromTheCold

New HD dead? Or am I supposed to change some setting?

The "new" HD is a WD20EARS that I actually bought quite some time ago, but never opened or tested until today. (So no chance of RMA.) It's from the crop of March 2011. I was planning to re-upgrade my THD, which I upgraded to 1TB a couple of years ago, to 2TB. At that time I used 2 SATA-USB controllers connected to a WinXP desktop with WinMFS, and while it took a long time to transfer all our old programs, ultimately the process worked great.

I tried hooking up the new HDD to my W7 desktop using one of my old controllers, a no-name I think I got on eBay. It didn't spin up, nor did the WD Lifeguard (or whatever it's called) diagnostic program detect it. Used the same connectors and swapped in the original Tivo drive, and that one spun up just fine, and showed in the drive list on the WDL as well. I tried the same thing using the other SATA controller, that one is a Sabrent, and got the same results. The 2T WD drive does not spin, though it is hot to the touch in one section of the motherboard.

I then dragged out my dusty, old XP desktop, went through the same process, and got the same results. Is there some different setting, or WD Align software I'm supposed to be using, or am I just out of pocket for a bum HDD? Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
InFromTheCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #567
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFromTheCold View Post
The "new" HD is a WD20EARS that I actually bought quite some time ago, but never opened or tested until today. (So no chance of RMA.) It's from the crop of March 2011. I was planning to re-upgrade my THD, which I upgraded to 1TB a couple of years ago, to 2TB. At that time I used 2 SATA-USB controllers connected to a WinXP desktop with WinMFS, and while it took a long time to transfer all our old programs, ultimately the process worked great.

I tried hooking up the new HDD to my W7 desktop using one of my old controllers, a no-name I think I got on eBay. It didn't spin up, nor did the WD Lifeguard (or whatever it's called) diagnostic program detect it. Used the same connectors and swapped in the original Tivo drive, and that one spun up just fine, and showed in the drive list on the WDL as well. I tried the same thing using the other SATA controller, that one is a Sabrent, and got the same results. The 2T WD drive does not spin, though it is hot to the touch in one section of the motherboard.

I then dragged out my dusty, old XP desktop, went through the same process, and got the same results. Is there some different setting, or WD Align software I'm supposed to be using, or am I just out of pocket for a bum HDD? Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
It's always a good idea to test every new drive using the manufacturer's diagnostic program as soon as you get it. But unless you've had it a really long time, it may have a manufacturer's warranty still in effect. Look on their web site to see if there's a place to enter your serial number and check the warranty status.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #568
InFromTheCold

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
It's always a good idea to test every new drive using the manufacturer's diagnostic program as soon as you get it. But unless you've had it a really long time, it may have a manufacturer's warranty still in effect. Look on their web site to see if there's a place to enter your serial number and check the warranty status.
True, it's a good idea, but of course it didn't happen this time. The good news is, your suggestion to check the warranty was GENIUS! Thank you for that suggestion! It's still under limited warranty until sometime next year. Limited warranty means I can send it in for replacement. I really can't believe it! No idea what that will cost me, but certainly less than I spent to buy the drive, so it's all good.

That said, if anyone is of the opinion that I should fiddle around with it further before I send it back to WD, please chime in.
InFromTheCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #569
lessd

Quote:
True, it's a good idea, but of course it didn't happen this time. The good news is, your suggestion to check the warranty was GENIUS! Thank you for that suggestion! It's still under limited warranty until sometime next year. Limited warranty means I can send it in for replacement. I really can't believe it! No idea what that will cost me, but certainly less than I spent to buy the drive, so it's all good.

That said, if anyone is of the opinion that I should fiddle around with it further before I send it back to WD, please chime in.
It will only cost you the shipping, WD does a good job on RMAs, just pack it correctly, or better yet use the advance replacement (if they still offer it) and use the box the new drive came in to ship the old drive back.
The one thing you have to watch out for now is sometimes you may get back a bigger drive than you sent, may be ok unless the drive is over 2Tb, happen to me, so I sold it on E-Bay and got enough money to purchase a 2Tb drive from Amazon.com.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #570
unitron

Quote:

Assuming none of the motherboards are GigaByte brand, can you open up either PC and connect the drive straight to a SATA port and the PC's power supply?

If so, before you do, make yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD and get back to me here.

Those USB/SATA dealies might not be able to handle anything bigger than a 1 TB. Their power supplies might not be as good as they were when new.

The good news is that, having used WinMFS before, you probably don't have a 16th Apple Free partition on the 1TB drive and can successfully use jmfs to copy it to a 2TB (with all settings and recordings intact) and then expand into the extra Terabyte.

Of course if WD were willing to swap you a WD20EURS for that EARS (get it in writing beforehand), I'd say take that deal and be done with it.