TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #511
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuletong View Post
Kudos to ALL those who shared and continously helped everyone upgrading their Tivo DVRs. After doing my fair share of reading the posts, I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my TivoHD to 2TB successfully. I thought I'll share some information which hopefully can be of value to others.

Prior to upgrading, my TivoHD had the orignial WD 160gb with the external WD 500gb DVR expander. After 4 years with this setup, I encountered stuttering on live TV for ALL HD programming, constant reboot, sluggish response from the remote control, and partial recordings. After doing research, all seems to point to hard disk problems.

First step, I "unmarry" my external drive. Took a while to reboot but came up fine. Definitely lost all my recordings but was prepared to have that.

I bought Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB HDS723020BLA642 at Frys for $109.99. But a day later, Microcenter came up with the same model for $89.99. Fry's price matched the drive.

I'm using an old computer, HP media Center (yes, I know it's old !) running XP. This computer does not have a SATA interface so I bought a PCI / SATA card ($15 at Fry's) that has two SATA ports.
Two important things here :
- New hard disk I bought did not have a SATA cable included. I have to buy one, actually two.
- Power supply plug is different fom IDE(4 pin) and SATA(15pin). There is a a converter from 4pin to 15pin, again, bought at Fry's for $6 each. I needed 2.

I connected the two drives (WD 160gb and HD 2tb) on my computer and booted JMFS. I followed the "Copy" and "Expand" step. The "copy" on my 160GB took about an hour and the "expand" took just a couple of minutes.

Things I did NOT do :
- Winmfs to supersize. Not that 30gb did not matter, I just left it alone.
- AAM settings.
- Intellipark settings.

After connecting the new drive to TivoHD, it booted successfully. Checked system info and it reported 287 hours of recording space for HD.
I tested the soft reboot and it worked as expected. Just for kicks, I even tried it twice just to see that it is working and not just a fluke, and at both times, it rebooted perfectly.

I still have all the network settings and season pass. The comcast cable cards are working and I can watch the premium channels I'm subscribe to.

Outside of the hard disk upgrade, I actually spent more time taking the Tivo cover and getting the old hard disk out. The 6 screws at the back of the Tivo and on the hard disk brace are not normal screws.

You need torx screw driver to take them out, and the following are what I used :
- Torx T10 (for the six screws at the back and on 4 srews on the hard disk brace)
- Torx T15 (for the 4 screws on the hard disk itself and the brace)

Once I have those two Torx screw driver (I used the torx drill tip), it was easier to take and put them back in.

As it stands right now, TivoHD is doing good. I hope it stays that way!
Intellipark is strictly a WD thing.

It seems that model Hitachi is one of the few non-AF 2TB drives still available.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #512
wongster12

Sorry for the newbie question guys. I have a tivo-hd that a upgraded to a 1tb Hitachi a few years back and it started to randomly reboot and locks up. I am interested int three drives. Can you tell me the main differences? I read the last 10 pages and couldn't find the answer.

The 3 drives are WD20EARS, WD20EARX, and WD20EURS.

Thanks in advance
wongster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #513
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongster12 View Post
Sorry for the newbie question guys. I have a tivo-hd that a upgraded to a 1tb Hitachi a few years back and it started to randomly reboot and locks up. I am interested int three drives. Can you tell me the main differences? I read the last 10 pages and couldn't find the answer.

The 3 drives are WD20EARS, WD20EARX, and WD20EURS.

Thanks in advance
People have successfully used the EARS and the EURS.

I don't remember seeing any success stories for the EARX.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #514
taylor0987

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor0987 View Post
Can someone please help me?
My TiVo HD had an original 160 GB HD in it. Shortly after I got it, I upgraded it to a 1.5 GB WD15EVDS using MFS tools (so it was using about 1.2 GB of that drive)

The WD15EVDS died completely (could not access from the TiVo or from the computer) but it was under warranty so WD replaced it with a WD20EURS.

I put the original 160 GB HD in the TiVo and let it update the software. I then used JMFS tools to copy the 160 to the WD20EURS, and then used JMFS to expand it.

After JMFS was done I booted the computer into Windows and ran WinMFS to supersize the drive. I ran WDIDLE3 and it showed as disabled. I put the drive into TiVo and it seemed to work fine at first. It showed 318 hours of space.

After a couple of days, the TiVo would show a gray screen after a while. No buttons on the remote would bring it out of the screen.

So I let it run the complete SMART test in kickstart 54 and everything passed. I then tried running WDIDLE3 /s300 on the drive and put it back in the TiVo. After being in the TiVo for about 12 hours, the gray screen came back.

It is currently running kickstart 57.
Can anyone suggest what I should do next?

Thank you
Well I seem to have this WD20EURS working properly now.

The 2TB passed all of the WD tests, but my original 160GB reported a bad sector. I was afraid to let the WD tools repair it so I proceeded without doing that.

I tried re-copying my original 160 to the WD20EURS using JMFS again. Then I expanded with JMFS. I skipped the step of supersizing using MFSTools. It has been running well for 5 days now. I will live with the "only" 287 hours for now.
taylor0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #515
unitron

Quote:

The 2TB passed all of the WD tests, but my original 160GB reported a bad sector. I was afraid to let the WD tools repair it so I proceeded without doing that.

I tried re-copying my original 160 to the WD20EURS using JMFS again. Then I expanded with JMFS. I skipped the step of supersizing using MFSTools. It has been running well for 5 days now. I will live with the "only" 287 hours for now.
WD's own diagnostic software would have repaired the drive by marking that bad sector as bad after copying its contents to a previously unused "spare" sector, which exists solely for that purpose, and remapping the sector numbers.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #516
taylor0987

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
WD's own diagnostic software would have repaired the drive by marking that bad sector as bad after copying its contents to a previously unused "spare" sector, which exists solely for that purpose, and remapping the sector numbers.
ugh its rebooting like crazy today. I am going to try a different hard drive that I have here (ST32000542AS) with a fresh image.
If that doesn't work, then what next? Power supply?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #517
unitron

Quote:
ugh its rebooting like crazy today. I am going to try a different hard drive that I have here (ST32000542AS) with a fresh image.
If that doesn't work, then what next? Power supply?
Well, the EURS is known to work in TiVos (unless they've monkey with it recently and you got one of the new ones).

Put a fresh image on the EURS and leave it at 160GB worth, no expand, no supersize, and try that in the TiVo.

Try it without cable cards inserted.

This is troubleshooting, we can try for permanent setup after we figure out what's wrong.

In the meantime let the WD software fix the 160.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #518
taylor0987

Quote:
Well, the EURS is known to work in TiVos (unless they've monkey with it recently and you got one of the new ones).

Put a fresh image on the EURS and leave it at 160GB worth, no expand, no supersize, and try that in the TiVo.

Try it without cable cards inserted.

This is troubleshooting, we can try for permanent setup after we figure out what's wrong.

In the meantime let the WD software fix the 160.
OK I will try.
The WD software says "The data stored in the bad sectors will be lost" rather than stating that the data will be copied to an unused spare sector. So I am reluctant to do that. But I don't think I have much to lose at this point.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #519
unitron

Quote:
OK I will try.
The WD software says "The data stored in the bad sectors will be lost" rather than stating that the data will be copied to an unused spare sector. So I am reluctant to do that. But I don't think I have much to lose at this point.
Okay, that's less than wonderful.

How much effort do you want to put into saving your recordings?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #520
taylor0987

Quote:
Okay, that's less than wonderful.

How much effort do you want to put into saving your recordings?
I'm not concerned at all about saving the recordings
Thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #521
unitron

Quote:
I'm not concerned at all about saving the recordings
Thanks
Then let the WD software fix it.

Do you have cable cards?

How big a pain in the posterior is it to pair them?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #522
taylor0987

Quote:
Then let the WD software fix it.

Do you have cable cards?

How big a pain in the posterior is it to pair them?
I have a cable card. After I paired the TiVo to the cable card, I took the original 160 drive out and I also did a truncated backup of it using winmfs. At that time, the 160 didn't have the bad sector. So that is the clean image that I have now put on the EURS.

If I wanted to start with a cleaner image (from the "don't PM me" thread) then the pairing is not supposed to be too difficult any more.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #523
kubcat

Newbie here - My Tivo HD froze on the welcome powering up screen last week, so I lurked around here for a while and planned my attack. I used WinMFS to create a truncated backup of the original 160GB drive, which worked. I ordered my WD20EURS and D/L an JMFS boot disk. Then the trouble began. I was not able to get the boot disk to work with an ASROCK p67 mboard/BIOS, so I made a bootable USB, which did finally boot up and run the script successfully, but it did NOT recognize my Tivo disk. WinMFS did and still does, so I tried to use that to clone the 160GB original. It hangs on the first media partition, though, so I think the disk is really bad. I really want to get to 2 TB, so I want JMFS to see the new one. Any suggestions from those who have already been there?
kubcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #524
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubcat View Post
Newbie here - My Tivo HD froze on the welcome powering up screen last week, so I lurked around here for a while and planned my attack. I used WinMFS to create a truncated backup of the original 160GB drive, which worked. I ordered my WD20EURS and D/L an JMFS boot disk. Then the trouble began. I was not able to get the boot disk to work with an ASROCK p67 mboard/BIOS, so I made a bootable USB, which did finally boot up and run the script successfully, but it did NOT recognize my Tivo disk. WinMFS did and still does, so I tried to use that to clone the 160GB original. It hangs on the first media partition, though, so I think the disk is really bad. I really want to get to 2 TB, so I want JMFS to see the new one. Any suggestions from those who have already been there?
First you find out what's wrong.

Then and only then do you select a cure.

You selected a cure for a bad hard drive and then proceeded to make a backup from that drive in anticipation of replacing it with a bigger drive.

Maybe there was nothing wrong with the drive itself. Maybe something else was causing the problem.

Or maybe there was and the backup is flawed because the source was flawed, but you won't know that until you use it on a different drive.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #525
unitron

Quote:
I have a cable card. After I paired the TiVo to the cable card, I took the original 160 drive out and I also did a truncated backup of it using winmfs. At that time, the 160 didn't have the bad sector. So that is the clean image that I have now put on the EURS.

If I wanted to start with a cleaner image (from the "don't PM me" thread) then the pairing is not supposed to be too difficult any more.

Thanks so much for your help!
Let the WD software fix the 160 and then restore from that backup (you're sure you're okay with losing the recordings?) and try that in the TiVo.

The reason I mentioned the cable card is because somethimes the power supply is going bad because of "capacitor plague" and the extra draw from the card is enough to put it into "not quite stable enough not to crash the TiVo occasionally" territory.

(if the power supply has problems, differences in how much which drive pulls from which output, +5 or +12 V, may also affect performance and stability)

Let it start up and tell you that the card is missing, and you can tell it to do whatever it needs to in order to deal with that.

Then see if it crashes any for a day or so.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #526
kubcat

Quote:
First you find out what's wrong.

Then and only then do you select a cure.

You selected a cure for a bad hard drive and then proceeded to make a backup from that drive in anticipation of replacing it with a bigger drive.

Maybe there was nothing wrong with the drive itself. Maybe something else was causing the problem.

Or maybe there was and the backup is flawed because the source was flawed, but you won't know that until you use it on a different drive.
Well, In the interest of brevity, I omitted the troubleshooting and diagnostics. I followed all of the suggestions for testing the drive, and the result was a confirmation that the drive was bad, which it is! I had no expectations of even getting a backup off of it, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, skip to current sitch...finally found the magic combination of BIOS settings to get the USB drive to boot AND to recognize the Tivo drive. I left it running all night, and now JFMS is retrying bad sectors (retry 1 of 3!?) and not progressing fast at all. It seems like it may take dozens more hours to get through 3 retry passes, and I don't want to wait, or tie up the PC for that long. I really don't care about losing a few hours of shows, and because of the successful trunc. backup, I don't think the bad sectors were in the boot partitions (I hope, anyway). What happens if I ctrl-c out of JFMS at this point and proceed to expanding the drive? Will it be unstable in the Tivo? Please advise, and thanks for the many previous years of effort that helped me get this far!
kubcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #527
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubcat View Post
Well, In the interest of brevity, I omitted the troubleshooting and diagnostics. I followed all of the suggestions for testing the drive, and the result was a confirmation that the drive was bad, which it is! I had no expectations of even getting a backup off of it, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, skip to current sitch...finally found the magic combination of BIOS settings to get the USB drive to boot AND to recognize the Tivo drive. I left it running all night, and now JFMS is retrying bad sectors (retry 1 of 3!?) and not progressing fast at all. It seems like it may take dozens more hours to get through 3 retry passes, and I don't want to wait, or tie up the PC for that long. I really don't care about losing a few hours of shows, and because of the successful trunc. backup, I don't think the bad sectors were in the boot partitions (I hope, anyway). What happens if I ctrl-c out of JFMS at this point and proceed to expanding the drive? Will it be unstable in the Tivo? Please advise, and thanks for the many previous years of effort that helped me get this far!

I think jmfs uses

ddrescue

which I haven't really spent any time working with since

dd_rescue

is right there on the MFS Live cd

and I haven't read the source code for either, so I have no idea what sort of shape it would leave things if interrupted.

Do you have any other drives of 160GB or more lying around available for temporary duty?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #528
lrhorer

Quote:
dd_rescue

is right there on the MFS Live cd

and I haven't read the source code for either, so I have no idea what sort of shape it would leave things if interrupted.
It does not do so by default, but if there is a writable storage medium available (which may not be the case for a live CD boot), the user can specify a log file to which dd_rescue can write. One may then stop dd_rescue and have it continue the restore at a later time. The latest version of dd-rescue also supports re-creating the log file from the partially restored data, thus allowing the restore to continue.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #529
taylor0987

Quote:
Let the WD software fix the 160 and then restore from that backup (you're sure you're okay with losing the recordings?) and try that in the TiVo.

The reason I mentioned the cable card is because somethimes the power supply is going bad because of "capacitor plague" and the extra draw from the card is enough to put it into "not quite stable enough not to crash the TiVo occasionally" territory.

(if the power supply has problems, differences in how much which drive pulls from which output, +5 or +12 V, may also affect performance and stability)

Let it start up and tell you that the card is missing, and you can tell it to do whatever it needs to in order to deal with that.

Then see if it crashes any for a day or so.
ugh the WD software could not repair the error on the original 160GB drive. So I am going to try with a 320 GB drive (not from a TiVo) that I have here.

I don't see any bulging capacitors but that doesn't definitely rule out the power supply. I am familiar with the cap issue as we had a couple hundred Dell GX 280 systems at work...

Thanks so much for your help, I will keep reporting back.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #530
unitron

Quote:
ugh the WD software could not repair the error on the original 160GB drive. So I am going to try with a 320 GB drive (not from a TiVo) that I have here.

I don't see any bulging capacitors but that doesn't definitely rule out the power supply. I am familiar with the cap issue as we had a couple hundred Dell GX 280 systems at work...

Thanks so much for your help, I will keep reporting back.
Good luck.
If you can put a voltmeter on the power supply outputs, especially the red and the yellow, you can see if it's managing to stay near what it's supposed to be putting out.

Let me know if you need to know how to do that.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #531
taylor0987

Quote:
Good luck.
If you can put a voltmeter on the power supply outputs, especially the red and the yellow, you can see if it's managing to stay near what it's supposed to be putting out.

Let me know if you need to know how to do that.
There is some white putty or something on the power supply where the wires are soldered to it. I don't see where I can test the voltages if I have the hard drive plugged in.
I am also stuck what steps I should take to get the image onto the 320 GB hard drive. Should I restore the tbk using winmfs and then expand in winmfs? or should I tell it not to expand?
Thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #532
unitron

Quote:
There is some white putty or something on the power supply where the wires are soldered to it. I don't see where I can test the voltages if I have the hard drive plugged in.
I am also stuck what steps I should take to get the image onto the 320 GB hard drive. Should I restore the tbk using winmfs and then expand in winmfs? or should I tell it not to expand?
Thanks
I'm starting to lose track of who has which problem.

That white stuff is just glue to hold stuff in place while it gets soldered.

But the wires that leave the power supply board have to go somewhere, and they do. They go to the hard drive and to the motherboard.

The red wire that goes to the motherboard comes off of the same +5V output as the one that goes to the hard drive.

The yellow wire that goes to the motherboard comes off of the same +12V output as the one that goes to the hard drive.

The black wires that come off of the power supply board are all tied to ground at the power supply board.

If your voltmeter has an alligator clip on the black (-) lead, then you can clip it onto the metal chassis on the side opposite the power supply (we want to stay away from that as much as possible to avoid "unfortunate occurrences").

If it has a "needle tip" probe like the red lead (+), then you can stick it down into the plug on the motherboard that comes from the power supply where one of the black wires goes until you make contact with the metal socket or pin on the end that goes over the pin on the motherboard or into the socket on the motherboard (don't have one to take apart and look at at the moment).

Then you stick the + lead into the hole the red wire goes into, or the hole the yellow wire goes into, and you take your measurements there, since it's electrically the same as if you could stick the probes into the back of the hard drive.

Be careful not to let the meter probes lean over and touch each other or anything else, at least not the metal tips on the end.

Always know where both ends of the AC power cord for the TiVo are.

Better to connect and disconnect at the wall socket than at the AC input jack on the power supply, so you don't risk moving the uncovered TiVo around.

Even better, a power strip with a switch, so you don't have to do any plugging and unplugging and it's right there under your hand.

You can test with the hard drive screwed down but unplugged, and then plug the plug into the back of it and see how much change, if any, there is when the power supply suddenly has to deal with that added load.

A good supply that's regulating the way it's supposed to should be able to take it in stride with little if any change in voltage.

As for the 320 drive, just restore an image onto it and try it in the TiVo to see if it works.

Once we've found the problem we can worry about expanding and supersizing and such.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #533
Melencio

Hello everyone... Sorry if this has been asked and answered on this thread. Is it possible to use my 1TB replacement (instead of the original 160Gb drive) to prep a WD20EURS for my TivoHD. Tried going through 18 pages of posts but I needed an answer quicker. The fall season is upon us.
Melencio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #534
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melencio View Post
Hello everyone... Sorry if this has been asked and answered on this thread. Is it possible to use my 1TB replacement (instead of the original 160Gb drive) to prep a WD20EURS for my TivoHD. Tried going through 18 pages of posts but I needed an answer quicker. The fall season is upon us.
Yes, it is possible.

I used a 1TB as a middleman when I put a WD20EADS in my HD (which I'm about to replace with a WD20EURS so I can use the EADS elsewhere).

Are you currently using the 1TB in the HD?

Are there shows on there you want to save?

Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #535
Melencio

Quote:
Yes, it is possible.

I used a 1TB as a middleman when I put a WD20EADS in my HD (which I'm about to replace with a WD20EURS so I can use the EADS elsewhere).

Are you currently using the 1TB in the HD?

Are there shows on there you want to save?

Yes... The 1TB is currently in the TivoHD, although it's randomly skipping recordings halfway and stuttering on live TV.
There are shows that my son want me to save.
Should I be using the Winmfs or do the jmfs route. What was the path you took to achieve success in your upgrade?
Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #536
unitron

Quote:
Yes... The 1TB is currently in the TivoHD, although it's randomly skipping recordings halfway and stuttering on live TV.
There are shows that my son want me to save.
Should I be using the Winmfs or do the jmfs route. What was the path you took to achieve success in your upgrade?
Once I had the 1TB set up the way I wanted, I used the jmfs cd to copy it to a 2TB and expand by adding a 16th partition.

In order to do that, the 1TB needed not to have any unused space, which would have shown up in the partition map as an Apple Free partition.

That's right, unpartitioned space is a partition in the Apple Partition Map way of doing things, just as the partition map itself is the first partition.

If you used WinMFS to go from the original 160GB drive to the 1TB then maybe you got lucky and what you have on there is the original 13 partitions plus the 3rd MFS pair added by WinMFS and it used all the space so there's no 16th Apple Free partition.

If you used the MFS Live cd, based on the older MFS Tools, there's a greater chance you weren't as lucky.

Either boot with the MFS Live cd and use

pdisk -l

to look at the 1TB's partition map, or use WinMFS and click on View, mfsinfo to get to where you can look at the partition map.

If there're only 15 partitions then you can use the jmfs cd to copy to the 2TB and have it expand by adding a 16th single MFS Media partition.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #537
Melencio

Sounds really complicated. I know this asking a lot but, do you have a step-by-step on this one Unitron?
Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #538
unitron

Quote:
Sounds really complicated. I know this asking a lot but, do you have a step-by-step on this one Unitron?
Did you do the 1TB replacement yourself?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #539
Melencio

I did... I think I used Instant Cake for it. This was back in 2007-2008.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #540
unitron

Quote:
I did... I think I used Instant Cake for it. This was back in 2007-2008.
Did you have a physical cd shipped to you, or did you download and burn your own copy?

I'm trying to see if you know how to burn a bootable cd image as an image.

You need to go to the first post of this thread and read.

And then use the link in it to go to the first post in the Premiere jmfs thread for the link to download the jmfs v1.04 cd image, and burn that image as an image to a cd-r.

You should also go to mfslive.org to get the image for the MFS Live cd v1.4 and burn yourself a copy of that and also download from that same site the WinMFS program.

Better to have a few tools too many than too few.

Which reminds me, go here as well

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

It has the manufacturers' diagnostic software for practically all of the hard drive brands, and a bunch of other useful stuff as well.

You need to get a look at the partition map on that 1TB to see if there's an Apple Free partition on the end or not.