TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
ss_sea_ya

Kickstart for DirecTV Hughes HDVR2 with v6.2 (unmodded)?

Is "kickstart" enabled in an unmodified DirecTV Hughs HDVR2 with 6.2v software?

I've tried the procedure listed here:
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

Here is what I am trying:
With my DirecTV Tivo remote, I hold down the yellow pause button. About 1 min and 15 seconds later, the green light goes out and the two yellow lights come on briefly (about 1/2 second or so). (under normal boot the green light flashes yellow briefly) With the yellow lights on I'm entering kickstart code "54" for hard disk test. Sometimes the unit continues it normal bootup (which is another couple minutes) . Sometimes it will restart, but no diagnostic screen comes up.

Any suggestions to get the kickstart code to work? Has anyone had success doing the kickstart? I think I read they have, but they also had the instantcake version running, which might have those features installed. I am wondering if DirecTV did not enable that feature?

(Trying to resolve a hard drive issue I mentioned in this thread http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...31#post8300631

Last edited by ss_sea_ya : 01-02-2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Update: Code 57 worked, gave up on trying 54.
ss_sea_ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
ss_sea_ya

Well did find this post by someone with a HDVR2.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...16#post1791016
looks like it is tricky and I guess you do need to be lighting fast and accurate..... No success yet, but will keep trying

Am trying to execute kickstart code 54 Hard Drive Tests. (This is on a fully working unit.)

Last edited by ss_sea_ya : 01-02-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
ss_sea_ya

For chagrins, I got code 57 to work on my first attempt. So I suspect 54 does not work.

EDIT: Note, after I entered the code, I had a steady Green Light and a Steady Yellow light. It went through the "almost there" screen, then rebooted. Then the "Power up" Screen, then Almost there screen, then finally GSOD.
it also said it would take three hours, but it was done in about 10 minutes or so (i.e. rebooted and came up normal).

Last edited by ss_sea_ya : 01-07-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
ss_sea_ya

Code 52 was accepted,
Again, got green and yellow light etc.
At reboot, Green/Yellow light stayed on.
Don't know result as I tried this on a drive that would nol longer boot up (again see other thread).