TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
jortucson

Tivo vs. Roku

I have a Tivo Series 3 HD and also a Roku XR. When we try to stream a movie from Netflix on the Tivo it is usually interrupted many times by the "retrieving." The same movies, however, play perfectly (and in higher def) on the Roku. I have a fast Comcast connection along with an Apple airport wireless and the Tivo network adaptor. Everything on my network works fine with the exception of the Tivo streaming.

Also, I like to watch the CNET podcasts. They used to work fine but now the audio on most of them is terrible. Sounds like the speakers are underwater.

Any ideas on these issues? Thanks.
jor
jortucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Are you transferring anything to/from that TiVo while Netflix is running? I've seen the same issue on mine. Roku works fine, TiVo chokes, but I've never tried the two closely timed enough to be able to see if the problem was the TiVo or my network.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
jortucson

Quote:
re you transferring anything to/from that TiVo while Netflix is running?
Nope. I've carefully compared the two and made sure no other processes were running on the Tivo or anywhere on the network. The reason I bought a Roku in the first place was because of this problem. I suspect it is a Tivo problem that can't be fixed in my house as my son, across town and on Cox, has the same problem and also moved to Roku (no problem). If I can't get it fixed, I think I'll finally just dump the Tivo altogether. I've had one since they first came out btw. Had three for a while there!
jor
Old 12-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jortucson View Post
Nope. I've carefully compared the two and made sure no other processes were running on the Tivo or anywhere on the network. The reason I bought a Roku in the first place was because of this problem. I suspect it is a Tivo problem that can't be fixed in my house as my son, across town and on Cox, has the same problem and also moved to Roku (no problem). If I can't get it fixed, I think I'll finally just dump the Tivo altogether. I've had one since they first came out btw. Had three for a while there!
jor
One way to completely rule out the network would be to get a cable and plug directly into the router via cat5. I keep a 70' cable laying around for those times.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
I have a Tivo Series 3 HD and also a Roku XR. When we try to stream a movie from Netflix on the Tivo it is usually interrupted many times by the "retrieving." The same movies, however, play perfectly (and in higher def) on the Roku. I have a fast Comcast connection along with an Apple airport wireless and the Tivo network adaptor. Everything on my network works fine with the exception of the Tivo streaming.

Also, I like to watch the CNET podcasts. They used to work fine but now the audio on most of them is terrible. Sounds like the speakers are underwater.

Any ideas on these issues? Thanks.
jor
Welcome to the enlarging crowd. Netflix issues on TiVo are common. There is no fix. You may have a solid network on which other devices like a Roku or BD player will stream Netflix fine yet the TiVo will rebuffer or hang totally.

These issues are common in both wired and wireless configurations.

I've given up on TiVo non-DVR functions. It's just too flaky.
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
jortucson

I'm certain my network is solid. Lots of devices, no issues with any of them. I think ewilts has it right. Looks like adios to the ole Tivo. My daughter is visiting from Pittsburgh. I think she can take it with her when she leaves. For me, it's Roku, the back to the future antenna and Hulu! Everyone have a merry Christmas!
jor
Old 12-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
socrplyr

I am a believer that the real issue is the network here. It seems that the Tivo isn't able to handle network instability very well for Netflix (this isn't so surprising as old as the Netflix app is). Now the Netflix app on the Roku is written to better handle network interruptions. If you happen to be using a wireless network, I suggest you don't. I haven't seen any wireless networks that actually put out consistent throughput and what not. Wireless is the network of choice for many because we are lazy for the most part. Now should the Tivo be able to better handle network hiccups (especially those that other devices can handle), yes. It doesn't though and that is what we are stuck with. Now my rant about wireless doesn't mean it is always the culprit, but those who think they have a stable network and use wireless are kidding themselves. Similar things can happen on your cable line as well, but again more resilient equipment makes it look like everything is fine. Good luck.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
trip1eX

You found the solution. Buy a separate box for internet streaming.

Roku, ATV, console, some BR players, htpc, ....
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
jortucson

Quote:
uy a separate box for internet streaming
I remain ever hopeful for the watch whatever you want, on any device, anywhere you want. I was hopeful that Boxee would be the at-home solution but it is a big disappointment. Oh, well. I'm going to dump the Tivo, use the antenna, laptop and Roku and wait for the the next big thing! Merry Christmas to all!
jor

Last edited by jortucson : 12-24-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
TolloNodre
En Fuego

Quote:
I remain ever hopeful for the watch whatever you want, on any device, anywhere you want. I was hopeful that Boxee would be the at-home solution but it is a big disappointment. Oh, well. I'm going to dump the Tivo, use the antenna, laptop and Roku and wait for the the next big thing! Merry Christmas to all!
jor
But the Roku doesn't record TV - what am I missing here?

Did you buy your TiVo solely to watch NetFlix?
TolloNodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
zalusky

People want to minimize cost and Netflix is a better value proposition for movies and many things than paying say $20/month just for HBO.

On the other hand there are many things on the local stations and basic cable that are just not worth waiting for on Netflix.

So that said it would be nice to have one box provide both those experiences. Unfortunately the Tivo experience for Netflix is suboptimal so many people choose a secondary box such as Roku and possibly Apple TV.

Comcast is doing everything they can to keep you paying your $80+ and that is one reason why they have discouraged HBO and friends from streaming directly.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
restart88

I have had my Roku less than 30 days and love it.

I have had Netflix for a while (already out of suggested shows) and now doing a free trial of Hulu+. Frankly I think Hulu has more streaming content plus a larger library available online. I may cancel Netflix & Tivo and just stick with Hulu+ & OTA. I'd save $40 a month.

I also have had the issues of the OP with Netflix, especially on older content via Tivo ,but not once yet since I started using Roku's build in wireless N. Once or twice when I was using a G connection though.

I should also say that Netflix runs much better on the Roku. But what is really nice about the Roku is all the additional content that is mostly free that you can't access by Tivo.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
zalusky

One other thought is to tune both tuners to non-hd channels when streaming Netflix It seems to me at least that the disk has to struggle more with all that data and using SD buffers might help.