TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Billyh1026
Randal Graves

Brewmasters on Discovery - anyone watching?

Thursdays at 8 p.m. EST
The owner of Dogfish Head Brewery is Sam Calagione and they make some off the wall brews. Just asking because I haven't seen anything posted about it.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
MikeMar
Go Pats

Pretty interesting show, I really liked the last one about the 120 min one since that is one of their flagship beers.

I love dogfish head, one of my fav beers, and their punkin is great stuff.

I wish some of he limited release stuff where they just serve at the restaurant was sold in stores.

The show inspired me to go to a local liquor store that has "pick 6" craft beers where you can get single beers, so got 12 craft beers I'm going to try out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Billyh1026
Randal Graves

I've never had a dogfish head beer or even heard of it until this show. But man am I going to hunt some down now. I love trying new brews out so it's weird that I've never heard of it. The Chicha episode was definatly...different. And, Sam is quite the character. He comes across pretty well as a TV personality. I'd love to work in a place like that. OR...even own it!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
bobino

Yes! Fun and interesting. Every show seems to have a couple of laugh out loud moments. Never tried Dog Fish since we're on the west coast.

Interesting for us because our son is in a beer making program and this is giving us some background knowledge that previously made our eyes glaze over when he started talking about hops and malt and ...oh it's happening again.

Just pour me another. Whatever he brings over is always good.

-Bob

"Did you say 'Boots'"?
bobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Gromit

I'm liking it. That Chicha (the spit beer) was kind of gross though.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Dignan
_

You can find Dogfish Head on the west coast, even on tap. They really are some unusual brews but I prefer the 90 minute IPA. The Session beer Dogfish Head did with Stone brewery is really great if you can find it.

I've been into craft beer for a while now (drove up to Russian River Brewery for a case of Pliney The Elder recently). I enjoy the show, but the Chica episode was really gross, I had to FF.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
MikeMar
Go Pats

Yeah the 90 min and even the 60 min are solid beers. The 120 is kinda strong and pricey but good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
SoldOnTiVo

Location: Canadian, living in Virginia, wishing he could move back to Colorado.
Pumkin is most excellent, Raison D'etre is fantastic.. I like just about all their stuff.
The show still feels like an hour long product placement, but I don't mind it (maybe because I actually like their products). 'makes me want to have a stab at home brew.
SoldOnTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Dignan
_

Oh it is definitely product placement. I went out and bought a 4 pack of the Santo Palo Brown Ale. At 12% abv it was bit on the heavy side. I've never had the Punkin Ale but I did see it at Whole Foods a few weeks ago. Gone now.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
Billyh1026
Randal Graves

I'm down on the Gulf of Mexico. It probably hasn' mde its way down here yet. But, it won't stop me from looking. Hmm hey now that I think about it...maybe they'll have it in N.O. La!?!?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Gromit

I wonder how much their sales have gone up since the show started?

I did try their 60 minute IPA and loved it. Gotta find the 90 minute.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
frankmint

Not a big fan of Sam, but I do enjoy the show so far. I don't know how many times I can hear "wort, or young beer" this year though. As far as his beer goes, in addition to the 60 and 90 minute, I can recommend DFH's Indian Brown Ale.

Someday, maybe we will have as many beer shows as there are ones about cake!
frankmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #13
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmint View Post
Not a big fan of Sam, but I do enjoy the show so far. I don't know how many times I can hear "wort, or young beer" this year though. As far as his beer goes, in addition to the 60 and 90 minute, I can recommend DFH's Indian Brown Ale.

Someday, maybe we will have as many beer shows as there are ones about cake!
Be great!!!!!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
harrinpj

Dogfish is by far my favorite brewery. They are certainly on the pricey side but well worth it. I find that they make a perfect example of most styles of beers, particularly the IPAs. I have all these episodes saved and haven't watched any yet but when I heard earlier in the year that this year's batch of 120 minute was a bust, I was very upset. That is one of my all time favorite beers and if I had known, I would have bought a bunch from the 2009 batch and saved them. At near 20% alcohol and 10 dollars or so a bottle, it's certainly not an everyday beer. I like to have one (on a special occasion, like my birthday) in a snifter glass, stone cold at first and drink it over the course of an hour letting it warm up over time. The flavors change throughout the hour while the beer warms and decreases in carbonation. It makes for a very interesting experience and perhaps the best hour of beer drinking I could imagine. Sadly, I won't be able to experience this again on my upcoming birthday.
harrinpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
MikeMar
Go Pats

Regarding the snifter glass

I have a few Duval ones that I guess are snifter glasses.

I generally just use it for Duval's and other Belgium beers, but would it be good for almost any good beer?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #16
harrinpj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Regarding the snifter glass

I have a few Duval ones that I guess are snifter glasses.

I generally just use it for Duval's and other Belgium beers, but would it be good for almost any good beer?
Beers that you would want to get a good aroma from would be perfect candidates for a snifter. All beers should at least be poured into a glass. Next time you're having a decent brew, pour some into the snifter and leave some in the bottle. Taste them both side by side and I promise you won't believe the difference.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinpj View Post
Beers that you would want to get a good aroma from would be perfect candidates for a snifter. All beers should at least be poured into a glass. Next time you're having a decent brew, pour some into the snifter and leave some in the bottle. Taste them both side by side and I promise you won't believe the difference.
oh I always drink beer at home in a glass!!!

might have to try a reg pint glass vs a snifter of the same beer though!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
harrinpj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
oh I always drink beer at home in a glass!!!

might have to try a reg pint glass vs a snifter of the same beer though!
I'm sure you will be able to tell the difference between the two types of glasses as well.

I think a snifter does for beer what a goblet does for red wine. When you can smell more of the beer it will always taste better. I have two snifters (ironically with the dogfish logo) at home which I use all the time.

Have you had the World Wide Stout? Look that up on ratebeer.com if you haven't.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
sieglinde

It irritates me when a bar or a restaurant does not offer me a glass for my beer. Even soda is better out of a glass than a can or a bottle.

Try Bevmo (though they seem to be out of Dogfish Head beer all the time. I found 90 Minute Imperial IPA at Bristol Farms. Whole Foods is supposed to have it but the nearest one to me is more than an hour a way. (hmm need to go beer shopping in Santa Rosa) I loved their Finnish beer.
I remember when Coors (uggh) was considered special.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #20
speedcouch
Geekneck

We've been watching the show since it debuted and enjoying it (for the most part). The "spit" beer was truly gross! But the rest of the shows and how they come up with ideas for their special brews is quite interesting.

Since we are in Maryland and not far from the Brewery in Delaware, we've been trying to find Bitches Brew, but haven't yet. Going to try a huge local liquor store right before Christmas to see if I can find some for a surprise for my husband. I'm not a fan of 'hoppy" beers myself, but he likes to try different things. Give me "something domestic, light, and cold" and I'm happy!

Cheryl
Sony Bravia, 20 inch
HR34-700
HR21-100
Panasonic DMR-E30S
Kenwood VR-7060
DirecTV since Aug 1995
XM since May 2004
speedcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #21
fmowry

Some work mates went in for a case of 120 back in March. I believe it was a 2009 batch. I was able to score one and it was quite tasty and of course packs a punch. Bee of fan of 60 and 90 since but haven't watched the show yet.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
MikeMar
Go Pats

Just watched tonights one about the Egyptian beer. Looks and sounds really tasty, I hope they make a bottled batch of it down the road.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #23
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Is this still a 60 minute commercial for DFH?
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #24
MikeMar
Go Pats

Well the show IS about their brewery, and each episode is about different brews.

So I would say yes AND no.

Most of the specialty beers they make each week, you can ONLY get in their restaurant, so if it's a commercial, not a very good one!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #25
sieglinde

You can get them at premiers and beer festivals. For premiers I recommend moving to Santa Rosa, California.