TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
tobiasfey

tivo premiere and comcast cablecard

just want to share my cablecard installation story.

i have a new tivo premiere and requested a cablecard from comcast. they said someone has to come out to install it. fine.

the technician installed an m-card and initially it was missing certain channels. missing channels included my premium channels and various channels like QVC, QVC-HD, ESPN, etc. I was getting FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and all the corresponding HD channels. the technician was on the phone with comcast for a while and those missing channels showed up. however, after technician left, those channels were gone again. i called for technician to return.

long story short. it took another three appointments to finally get it right. by the fourth appointment, the comcast technician who came, jerry, instantly knew what the problem was when he pulled out my cablecard. he said that the m-card that they originally gave me is not compatible with tivo premiere machines. he said the "gold-tipped" m-cards (with gold-tipped connectors) will always work with the tivo premiere machines, whereas the other m-cards (i think both were motorola) will work one out of twenty times. sure enough once he put in the new m-card with the gold-tips, it worked like a charm (well he still needed to call it in to activate of course). he was also saying that in the cablecard conditional access menu, the Val field shold show a "V" and not a "?". The "V" shows the cablecard is paired. However, I think even when I had the bad card and the missing channels, I did have a "V," so I don't think the "V" told the whole story. It was the "gold-tipped" m-cards that did it.

hope this helps someone who's having issues with new cablecard install from comcast and missing channels.
tobiasfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasfey View Post
just want to share my cablecard installation story.

i have a new tivo premiere and requested a cablecard from comcast. they said someone has to come out to install it. fine.

the technician installed an m-card and initially it was missing certain channels. missing channels included my premium channels and various channels like QVC, QVC-HD, ESPN, etc. I was getting FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and all the corresponding HD channels. the technician was on the phone with comcast for a while and those missing channels showed up. however, after technician left, those channels were gone again. i called for technician to return.

long story short. it took another three appointments to finally get it right. by the fourth appointment, the comcast technician who came, jerry, instantly knew what the problem was when he pulled out my cablecard. he said that the m-card that they originally gave me is not compatible with tivo premiere machines. he said the "gold-tipped" m-cards (with gold-tipped connectors) will always work with the tivo premiere machines, whereas the other m-cards (i think both were motorola) will work one out of twenty times. sure enough once he put in the new m-card with the gold-tips, it worked like a charm (well he still needed to call it in to activate of course). he was also saying that in the cablecard conditional access menu, the Val field shold show a "V" and not a "?". The "V" shows the cablecard is paired. However, I think even when I had the bad card and the missing channels, I did have a "V," so I don't think the "V" told the whole story. It was the "gold-tipped" m-cards that did it.

hope this helps someone who's having issues with new cablecard install from comcast and missing channels.
I have, within the last two weeks, upgraded (Comcast cable) to the TP and took the M cable cards out of my 3 year old TiVo-HD and my TiVo Series 3 original that had M cards in it, I put the cards into the TP myself and got all the channels except the HBO type stations. The VAL had the ? in the field. Comcast came out and paired the cards and the Val field went to a number and I got my HBO etc. I think each Comcast system is different as most were purchased from another cable system and it may take years before all Comcast systems are the same if ever. I never looked at the cards to see if they were gold tiped, but they were all at least three years old.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
PaulM739

Good info... Question tho.

I am braceing myself for another battle with Comcast, as it took 5 times to set up my previous Series3HD box several years ago.

I upgraded to the Tivo Primeire, and am scheduled to have Comcast out on Friday. Do you have a better description of your card that works?

Make, model number, physical description? (other than Gold pins)

Thanks! Your info is so helpful!
PaulM739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM739 View Post
I am braceing myself for another battle with Comcast, as it took 5 times to set up my previous Series3HD box several years ago.

I upgraded to the Tivo Primeire, and am scheduled to have Comcast out on Friday. Do you have a better description of your card that works?

Make, model number, physical description? (other than Gold pins)

Thanks! Your info is so helpful!
Without taking out the card I can only read the what the TiVo gives on the card like the SN, if anybody knows what other info would be helpful to read from the TiVo cable card menu I would happy to look BUT the cable card menu of information is much different in the Springfield MA Comcast area than in the Hartford CT area so I would guess that unless somebody is using the Comcast system in your area you can't get useful information.