TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

ESPN3 via TiVo...why not?

As I sit here in front of my PC watching a college basketball game available only via ESPN3.com, I ask myself, why shouldn't I be able to watch ESPN3 via one of the TiVo units I have in my house?

I can stream Netflix, why not ESPN3?

Is it technically possible?

What is preventing TiVo from making an agreement with ESPN3?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

That would be cool

What's preventing them? Don't have a clue.. But it is something I would be very curious about. I wonder if they (TiVo or ESPN) have thought about it. Where else can you access ESPN3 besides a computer and brower? Is there an app for that?

I wonder who would object. The leagues? Teams?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
turbobuick86

I'm streaming ESPN3 on Xbox360. Can create your own profile and follow certain sports/teams. Verizon also has a deal with ESPN3.

HDXL
TivoHD w/expander
OTA only and luvin it
turbobuick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Aero 1

get a boxee box, install espn3 app, enjoy on the couch. love the boxee box.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
84lion

I had been wondering the same thing. Would really like to access ESPN3 content via Tivo, it's OK on the computer, but would be better on the TV.
84lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Philmatic

Streaming any website/video is possible on the TiVo Premiere... it has the hardware capabilities to do just about anything, but unless TiVo writes the software to take advantage of the capabilities, you out of luck.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
bigpatky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Streaming any website/video is possible on the TiVo Premiere... it has the hardware capabilities to do just about anything, but unless TiVo writes the software to take advantage of the capabilities, you out of luck.
DLNA would've been nice (play-on.tv)
bigpatky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post
DLNA would've been nice (play-on.tv)
Sure.. But I already have a TV that can do that and a BluRay player that can do that. Do I need a THIRD device on the same TV? Unless TiVo can develop a better interface, then no.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
bigpatky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Sure.. But I already have a TV that can do that and a BluRay player that can do that. Do I need a THIRD device on the same TV? Unless TiVo can develop a better interface, then no.
we all clamor for every device to have netflix on it

and anyway, it was just a way to get espn3.com on the tivo, like the OP wanted.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post
we all clamor for every device to have netflix on it

and anyway, it was just a way to get espn3.com on the tivo, like the OP wanted.
I have multiple devices that do netflix, too. And I don't even have a Netflix account. I don't need another.

Why do you need DLNA to see ESPN3? If you can have an ESPN3 app on XBOX, I guess you could have one on a TiVo.. Where does the DLNA come in?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
bigpatky

Quote:
I have multiple devices that do netflix, too. And I don't even have a Netflix account. I don't need another.

Why do you need DLNA to see ESPN3? If you can have an ESPN3 app on XBOX, I guess you could have one on a TiVo.. Where does the DLNA come in?
if tivo put DLNA on one of their boxes, they wouldn't have to create software for every single media platform (netflix, hulu, espn3, etc). playon streams over dlna all of those. i would prefer a dedicated "app" like we have for netflix and soon to be hulu, but it would allow us to get espn3 or whatever on our tivo without waiting for someone to create an app for it.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Maybe I don't fully get how DLNA works.

I thought it was something that simply streamed photos or music or videos on a computer on your local network, and that computer had to have a DLNA server installed.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
bigpatky

Quote:
Maybe I don't fully get how DLNA works.

I thought it was something that simply streamed photos or music or videos on a computer on your local network, and that computer had to have a DLNA server installed.
that's exactly what it is. playon is a server on your computer that essentially streams different sources (your own media, netflix, hulu, espn3, comedycentral.com, nhl, mlb.tv, etc) and transcodes it on the fly while pushing that video to a dlna client. www.playon.tv
Old 11-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

OK

I wouldn't want that. I would want the TiVo to hook directly up to ESPN3.com and not need to rely on another device on my network.

If you already have DLNA on your TV or BluRay player and the playon thing, why does TiVO need to do anything? Can't you already view ESPN3 on your TV now?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I think what people are forgetting is that Tivo barely has the basics worked out in their newest unit. They are falling behind other devices at a very rapid rate. They need to work out the basics if they are going to implement things like this.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #16
SoBayJake

Quote:
You don't "need" it...but that doesn't mean others don't "need" it.

(Really a "want" but that's an entirely different discussion!)

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #17
pops_porter

I watched a basketball game that was only on espn3.com Wed. night on my Xbox. It was pretty slick and easy. I was suprised by the wide range of sports they have live and on demand. I do wonder why Tivo couldn't have this ability.

I clicked on the suggestions page under the contact us section of Tivo.com, hopefully other people are doing this as well!
pops_porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #18
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
As I sit here in front of my PC watching a college basketball game available only via ESPN3.com, I ask myself, why shouldn't I be able to watch ESPN3 via one of the TiVo units I have in my house?

I can stream Netflix, why not ESPN3?

Is it technically possible?

What is preventing TiVo from making an agreement with ESPN3?
I would not expect the streaming of ESPN 3 to look that good on a larger TV but on a smaller monitor it might be OK. I've seen it on a computer monitor and i wouldn't run it to a TV.
If Tivo could work out a buffer with the hard drive for the stream that might be worth exploring.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #19
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I would not expect the streaming of ESPN 3 to look that good on a larger TV but on a smaller monitor it might be OK. I've seen it on a computer monitor and i wouldn't run it to a TV.
I didn't expect it to either, but I stream it onto my 52" LCD through my Xbox360, and it looks great! It's obviously not as good as broadcast-quality HD, but I think it's definitely sharper than broadcast SD (when the source is from an HD feed). The only problem I noticed is that it seems like it gives fewer than 30 frames per second, giving it more of a "film" feel while watching it.

Of course, the quality depends on your internet speed, but with my standard FIOS plan, I was very impressed at ESPN3 on Xbox360.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
lrhorer

Quote:
I think the point you are missing is there is very significant value in having only one device with one UI presenting all the content, however many physical boxes may be involved underlying the delivery. I've mentioned this before more than once, but once I got the Series III Tivos with decent amounts of storage, I quit watching DVDs. It wasn't an intentional decision - quite to the contrary. It just was too... sequestered, I suppose. While not a big hassle, it was an extra amount of work, despite the fact I have a DVD Jukebox that can hold 400 DVDs. Now it's true the situation was made worse, as it were, by the fact the Jukebox was slow and its UI was poorly considered. It's also true the DVDs have much lower, only just acceptable resolution. The really big impediment, however, was having to switch the video inputs, turn on the DVD player, and wait for everything to settle down. The end result was I just never bothered to watch DVDs any longer. Now that PyTivo has a DVD plugin, however, I have started watching my DVDs, again.

I'm not hung up on the features of any UI, and general am not impressed by any UI. Indeed, I rarely ever even use the TiVo UI, unless you call pressing <Select>, <Play>, <RR>, and <FF> "using" the UI. Nonetheless, having a single, uniform UI is very important, whether the user realizes it, or not.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #21
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
get a boxee box, install espn3 app, enjoy on the couch. love the boxee box.
I looked at a Boxee on the web a few days ago, but as is fairly typical on these web sites, they don't give out any of the truly important information. What OS does it use? What access methods may one employ? What standard networking protocols? In particular, what remote control protocols? Is there an SDK? What third party applications are available? Does it have a built-in Web browser? Can one readily install one's preferred Web browser?

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-27-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #22
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I looked at a Boxee on the web a few days ago, but as is fairly typical on these web sites, they don't give out any of the truly important information. What OS does it use? What access methods may one employ? What standard networking protocols? In particular, what remote control protocols? Is there an SDK? What third party applications are available? Does it have a built-in Web browser? Can one readily install one's preferred Web browser?
All that info is available on their support site.

The box runs it's own software, it's not on top of anything. Probably a from Linux.

Access? What? It acts as an upnp Server. It can access samba' upnp, windows and Mac shares and others.

It comes with an rf remote, it will take an ir mce remote USB receiver or download the boxee remote iPhone app.

There is an sdk, it's on their site, there are a bunch of first party and third party apps. Anyone can build apps and host them themselves.

It has a webkit browser and you can't install a new one.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #23
turbobuick86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
If Tivo could work out a buffer with the hard drive for the stream that might be worth exploring.
On my 58" Pioneer it looks very good. This old huge dinosaur rear projection tv has one of the best upconverters ever. ESPN bragged of "HD quality" video when the channel was launched. HD quality, may mean something other than actual HD. Most everything I've seen thus far is widescreen and while the picture is pleasant to watch, there may be the occasional framerate starvation with faster motion. I'm running 25/25 FIOS.

HDXL
TivoHD w/expander
OTA only and luvin it
turbobuick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
lrhorer

Quote:
All that info is available on their support site.
I looked, but I certainly did not find it in one place.

Quote:
The box runs it's own software, it's not on top of anything.
That would be surprising, especially since it employs an Atom processor. Engineers usually don't re-invent wheels.

Quote:
Probably a from Linux.
If it's "a form of Linux", then it runs on top of Linux, in which case the software may be easily replaceable and / or easily hacked.

Quote:
Access? What? It acts as an upnp Server. It can access samba' upnp, windows and Mac shares and others.
'Other direction. Can one telnet to the box? XDMCP? VNC? Windows Remote Desktop? FTP? I believe I recall seeing it implements an SMB server for sharing files.

Quote:
It comes with an rf remote, it will take an ir mce remote USB receiver or download the boxee remote iPhone app.
I was talking about network access. In particular, I would want to be able to implement a Remote Procedure Call from a web based app to queue up a network served video. Looking at the screen shots, the content browser looks typically pathetic, so I would want something more effective. With the TiVo I have a web script hand off the content to pyTivo to push the video to the TiVo. It's a bit of a kludge, but it works well.

Quote:
There is an sdk, it's on their site, there are a bunch of first party and third party apps. Anyone can build apps and host them themselves.
I'll have to look a bit more.

Quote:
It has a webkit browser and you can't install a new one.
Mmm. I'll have to see it.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #25
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I looked, but I certainly did not find it in one place.

That would be surprising, especially since it employs an Atom processor. Engineers usually don't re-invent wheels.

If it's "a form of Linux", then it runs on top of Linux, in which case the software may be easily replaceable and / or easily hacked.

'Other direction. Can one telnet to the box? XDMCP? VNC? Windows Remote Desktop? FTP? I believe I recall seeing it implements an SMB server for sharing files.

I was talking about network access. In particular, I would want to be able to implement a Remote Procedure Call from a web based app to queue up a network served video. Looking at the screen shots, the content browser looks typically pathetic, so I would want something more effective. With the TiVo I have a web script hand off the content to pyTivo to push the video to the TiVo. It's a bit of a kludge, but it works well.

I'll have to look a bit more.

Mmm. I'll have to see it.
Seriously? You need all of that from a product that never promised it? Just build your own box.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #26
lrhorer

I have, or at least I have tried. I have yet to find a video system - card or motherboard - that works reliably and acceptably with my AVR and projector. What's more, at $99, *IF* the unit fits my needs, it certainly less money tied up in the application than a PC.

I also don't necessarily require all the features I listed, but I want to know which ones are available. Some are deal breakers. Others are not, but I want to know exactly what I am buying. I have little tolerance for a company trying to sell me something without telling me all its capabilities and lack thereof, and neither should anyone else.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #27
mrokusek

I'm new to Tivo. I have the Tivo Premier connected via ethernet cable to my computer. I installed the free Tivo Desktop software onto my computer. I want to stream live ESPN3 and the Big 10 network feeds from my computer to my TV via Tivo. Is this possible? I see this forum's discussion but it's over a year old so I don't know if things have changed. I'm not familiar with what DLNA is.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get this to work? I read up that I can have Tivo play video RSS feeds, but I'm thinking that may not be the same thing. That sounds like downloadable video podcasts or something.

If Tivo won't provide me this, any suggestions on cheap devices that will would be appreciated.
mrokusek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #28
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrokusek View Post
I'm new to Tivo. I have the Tivo Premier connected via ethernet cable to my computer. I installed the free Tivo Desktop software onto my computer. I want to stream live ESPN3 and the Big 10 network feeds from my computer to my TV via Tivo. Is this possible? I see this forum's discussion but it's over a year old so I don't know if things have changed. I'm not familiar with what DLNA is.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get this to work? I read up that I can have Tivo play video RSS feeds, but I'm thinking that may not be the same thing. That sounds like downloadable video podcasts or something.

If Tivo won't provide me this, any suggestions on cheap devices that will would be appreciated.
I don't think it works with TiVo Premiere but I don't have one and I am sure somebody that does will give the definitive answer on that issue. I watched the Duke vs. NC State game last night using Google TV and ESPN3 and it worked great. I rarely think to check the ESPN3 schedule but did last night. Some others have complained that Google TV doesn't work well with ESPN3 but it appears to work well from XFinity with Google TV for me. With no cable TV, ESPN3 is really good at the price, free.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
Grakthis

The Xbox ESPN3 interface is so amazing, I would buy an Xbox and a Live Sub just for it. TiVo just doesn't have the GUI and interface options to compete with that.

That said, they could come up with SOMETHING. I agree. I love ESPN3.

If TiVo really wanted to compete in this media space, they would find a way to integrate these other viewing options into the existing "now playing" menu so i don't have to jump into different sandboxes to find things.

If my "now playing" list, or even just my channel list, just listed stuff from ESPN3, that would be awesome.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #30
andyw715

I know this won't help the immediate problem, but PlayOn + Jailbroken Apple TV 2 works well for this (assuming you have legit access to ESPN 3, even if you don't I'm sure there is a way to get it).

Is there a DLNA 3rd party application for TiVo (pyTiVo?), if so PlayOn is a DLNA sever, that might work.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote