TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #61
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post
Another note to pass along from the Marketing team. Copying it verbatim so I don't run the risk of losing anything in transposing -

We've been watching the questions that have popped up on the forum and wanted to answer a few here.

A customer who purchases Premiere at $99.99 will have a one-year service commitment at $19.99 per month. After they have fulfilled that commitment the customer remains at $19.99 per month, but the commitment goes away.

For existing customers we continue to offer product lifetime service and our upgrade program, but also have the option to purchase the new holiday pricing. We are striving to provide as much choice as possible as well as reward our long-time users.

More information can be found at TiVo.com.
Is there going to be a way to differentiate boxes? For example, if I buy a used on in a year, how would I know how much I would pay?

Edit: Further, since Tivo is subsidizing the boxes (at least right now), I would expect them to want used boxed to be sold and subbed.

Last edited by socrplyr : 11-16-2010 at 08:22 AM.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #62
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr

Edit: Further, since Tivo is subsidizing the boxes (at least right now), I would expect them to want used boxed to be sold and subbed.
I would assume units under contract can't be transferred to another account so any one attempting to sell the unit would have to continue to have their credit card billed or be hit with the ETF.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #63
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I would assume units under contract can't be transferred to another account so any one attempting to sell the unit would have to continue to have their credit card billed or be hit with the ETF.
The question is about after the commitment expires. Some people are saying you have to keep paying $20 indefinitely, while others say you can pay $13 after your commitment ends. The question is, if it's $20, how do they enforce that after commitments end, especially with resale?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #64
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I agree there, but I referring to when it is out of contract. Maybe I should have explicitly stated that.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #65
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
The question is about after the commitment expires. Some people are saying you have to keep paying $20 indefinitely, while others say you can pay $13 after your commitment ends. The question is, if it's $20, how do they enforce that after commitments end, especially with resale?
I suspect it'll work like the old deal back in the S2 days with subsidized / discounted 2nd TiVos.
They were locked out of the multi-unit discount plan until the commitment expired. At that point they continued being billed at full price until the owner either called TiVo and put them on the multi-unit discount plan (IIRC triggering a new commitment period), or unsubscribed them. A new owner subscribing them would automatically be offered the current best rate.

So for these I'd expect after 12 months that the owner would get billed at $20 until they called and "switched" plans. But that posr-commitment period any new owner would be offered standard rates, not the $20/month rate.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #66
flashesbuck

i purchased my first Tivo this weekend at best buy, and am quit happy with paying 99 and then 19 a month. My Time Warner dvr is horrible and was fighting with them to get it replaced with different model. then saw this at best buy. To me 100 + 20 monthly is a great deal because in a year i bet google tv will be ready with about the same function and more. This is only to hold me over till google tv is ready. But who knows, maybe ill fall in love this this thing, Tivo was the first to have DVR service. I was able to take off 17.99 off my cable bill for dropping all there charges for the dvr box. so monthly fee is almost paid for.
flashesbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #67
bielick

FYI, I was bit by this today as well. Bought the unit for $99. Thought I could do a lifetime (I have a lifetime on a Series 2 right now) but to no avail. Very adamant about $20/month for two years. Then it would be eligible for lifetime service if it was available in two years. So $100 for the box, $480 for service for the first two years, then another $300-$400 most likely for a lifetime subscription IF they offer it. No thanks. Going back tomorrow. Has to be one of the worst sales I have seen.
bielick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #68
Andrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bielick View Post
Very adamant about $20/month for two years. Then it would be eligible for lifetime service if it was available in two years.
Hum, advertised is $99 for 1 yr at $20/month or $0 for 2 yrs at $20/month then you can go lifetime. I don't know who you talked to. At that price, it is a good price and acceptable as long as you do not have Multi Service Discount (MSD) available to you.
Andrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #69
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

If you are a new customer it's not a bad deal for a year, but there are no guarantees right now that you can put lifetime on it after the year is up. We might know more at the end of the year when this promo expires (or not).
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #70
RRiggs

Can you give the URL for the page with the November 14th date on it? I bought mine on 11/13, and am trying to do a grandfather transfer from an original S1 (activated in 12/1999), and they are refusing to honor it. So, I would really like to see a 11/14/2010 date somewhere!
RRiggs is offline   Reply With Quote