TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
dgghostkilla

confused. Can i upgrade the internal HDD on premiere or not.

i purchased a tivo premiere and i would like to upgrade the internal hdd to either a 2tb or those new 3tb drives. I got an enternal 3tb drive from best buy and you can take it apart to remove the 3.5 hdd.

my question is what do i have to do? is it just plug and play or do i have to format the new drive a certain way or clone the existing hdd?

any information would really help me out. I still havent setup the tivo. i still have to call and buy a lifetime subscription and get a cable card from fios.
dgghostkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Quake97

Yeah, you can, but remember one important thing, this will void your TiVo's warranty.

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
moyekj

Yes. Reference thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=445839

Thread with actual "jmfs" upgrade software & instructions:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
dgghostkilla

thank you so much. the second link is just what i needed to see.

i just bought the lifetime subscription it was $399.00 alot of money up front but in the lung run i guess i will see my return.
also can i upgrade hdd after the fios guys comes install the cable card or it has to be done prior to?
i am reading the second link maybe i can find the info there, but if anybody knows please let me know.

Last edited by dgghostkilla : 11-30-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
moyekj

I think I read that at least in some areas Fios is actually pairing cablecard to the box now some pairing information is stored on hard drive, so I say it's best to do upgrade after cablecard install is completed so that the original drive already has proper pairing information in case you ever need to throw it back in.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
dgghostkilla

thats a good idea.

thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I think I read that at least in some areas Fios is actually pairing cablecard to the box now some pairing information is stored on hard drive, so I say it's best to do upgrade after cablecard install is completed so that the original drive already has proper pairing information in case you ever need to throw it back in.
This is the best way to do it. Also do it as soon as the guy leaves so you always have a fresh drive if you ever need to go back because of a catistrophic fail...
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
plazman30

Do it after the Cablecard is paired

From the previous threads, you can't go higher than 2 TB.

But I would think the highest point of failure on a TiVo would be the HD. By popping in a 2 TB drive, you have your 320GB drives with a TiVo image on it as a backup.

Would be nice if TiVo made a TiVo Pro model with RAID 5 in it.

For that matter, how about a TiVo without an HD at all in it. Add your own drive TiVo. They could sell those for cheap and we could stick any drive we wanted in the unit without voiding the warranty.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
rodbeezy

anybody recommend any particular drive for the upgrade? i have a WD Green drive running in an old HD but had to disable intellipark.

and btw, @dgghostkilla, by any chance are you on the benzworld or mbworld forums?
rodbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodbeezy View Post
anybody recommend any particular drive for the upgrade? i have a WD Green drive running in an old HD but had to disable intellipark.

and btw, @dgghostkilla, by any chance are you on the benzworld or mbworld forums?
I bought the WD 2TB EARS drive and disabled the Intellipark before slapping it in my Premiere.
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
dgghostkilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodbeezy View Post

yes sir. Both benzworld and mbworld.
My dgghostkilla username is for pretty much anything that has nothing to do with banking. It all started with Socom II for PS2 it was my usename.
You can also find me on PS3 with this same username.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
dgghostkilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
I bought the WD 2TB EARS drive and disabled the Intellipark before slapping it in my Premiere.
Can you tell us a little more about how and why to disable intellipark.

im still waiting on fios to come to the crib nex tuesday to slap on the cable card. I have downloaded the jmfs-rev104.iso file but thats as far i've gotten to.

I did plug in the tivo and updated it to the latest software which took like 2 hours damn.

So i need to buy a 2TB hard drive and i would need some kind of adapter for the cloning process being that i dont have a pc with esata. i got macbooks and a mac mini so i was thinking about borrowing my brother's two HDD dock to usb.

is this all i need?