TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
plazman30

Do we really need the HD interface?

Is there anybody else besides me that would be more than happy with a high resolution version of the SD interface?

The HD interface is nice and all, but I don't see what it buys you over the SD interface.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman30 View Post
The HD interface is nice and all, but I don't see what it buys you over the SD interface.
I don't need my flat screen HDTV either, but I like it better than my old SD crt.

Our society and out economy are based on growth, improvement, and obsolescence. The new Tivo needs to be "better" than the old one, otherwise people won't upgrade to it or they'll buy the competitor's DVR that is perceived to be better.

Does Windows 7 do really do anything more than Vista? Did Vista do anything more than XP? Did XP do anything more than ME? I'm pretty much doing the same thing with my computer now that I was doing a decade ago. If the interface looked the same, would I have upgraded? Sometimes the purpose of a new product is merely to cause the obsolescence of the old one.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
moyekj

The SD interface is fine as it is for me. I try and minimize time spent in interface anyway so as long as it's functional and fast when I need it that's all that matters. HDUI the way it is I would never want to use it even if it were as fast as the SDUI (which it is not by a long shot). Hopefully TiVo won't waste time getting more Premiere screens looking and behaving like the current HDUI abomination.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Is there anybody else besides me that would be more than happy with a high resolution version of the SD interface?
Yes. Absolutely. Affirmative. Yep. Definitely.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
uf20wop

i would agree

if the SD interface was just rendered in HD it would be great
uf20wop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
atmuscarella

Quote:

To some extent it depends on why you have a TiVo and what you do with it. For me I have a TiVo to use it to time shift TV and rarely for anything else. For me the UI needs to work and be as fast and easy to use as possible what it looks like is of no concern to me at all - so I have no issues with what the "Old" IU on my TiVos looks like.

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
HockeyFan

Yes! Tivo should remove the sd interface in next update. Why waste the extra space on the drive.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Yes! Tivo should remove the sd interface in next update. Why waste the extra space on the drive.
Technically it isn't wasting extra space since the space is already pre-allocated for the OS so it can't be used for anything else anyways.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
plazman30

The SD interface is very nice in it's simplicity. Give it some smooth HD fonts, maybe a small graphic here or there with the logo of the network, and I'd be quite happy. I think where Tivo needs to differentiate itself from the competition is the inclusion of things like Amazon VOD, Netflix, and Hulu Plus. The cable/sattelite DVRs will never offer those features, because it competes with their on-demand offering.

Tivo to go is also a pretty big selling point. TO be able to copy shows down to a portable device or laptop to watch on the train is something no other DVR has that I know of.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
NYHeel

Quote:
The SD interface is very nice in it's simplicity. Give it some smooth HD fonts, maybe a small graphic here or there with the logo of the network, and I'd be quite happy. I think where Tivo needs to differentiate itself from the competition is the inclusion of things like Amazon VOD, Netflix, and Hulu Plus. The cable/sattelite DVRs will never offer those features, because it competes with their on-demand offering.

Tivo to go is also a pretty big selling point. TO be able to copy shows down to a portable device or laptop to watch on the train is something no other DVR has that I know of.
I have a TivoHD and not a Premiere but I just love Tivo Search on the TivoHD. It is painfully slow but there's so much information on there. I mostly use it for the episode guides when I'm missing a show and want to check if it's on in the next 2 weeks or just trying to catch up on a show that's in repeats or on cable. It certainly beats the old way of checking my computer and epguides.com and then searching if that show is on in the next 2 weeks or even using a wishlist. Tivo search does all that for you in one place plus you can watch it on netflix if it's available right from there. No need to add to queue on your computer.

So, basically, if the HD interface on the Premiere is like Tivo Search Beta on the TivoHD, then I think it's far superior to the SD interface. Now if it freezes or doesn't work properly that's another story.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I
So, basically, if the HD interface on the Premiere is like Tivo Search Beta on the TivoHD, then I think it's far superior to the SD interface. Now if it freezes or doesn't work properly that's another story.
The difference is with S3 series it's an HME application so you can choose to use it only when you want/need enhanced search capabilities. On Premiere with HDUI you are perpetually stuck with the slow interface even though you may not need the enhanced capabilities it offers and if you switch to SDUI mode you don't have option to use the HME version as you can with S3 series (which would be a very easy thing for TiVo to add if they wanted to). The problem is at this point if TiVo does abandon HDUI on Premiere then it's just a THD with slightly better hardware which hardly makes for good marketing.
Personally I like the SDUI but would like option to use enhanced search once in a while, and the TiVo Search Beta works fine for that, so why not just add TiVo Search Beta to the list of HME apps on the Premiere for those that do use the SDUI? That change does not even require a software update of any kind on Premiere units.

So ironically with current status quo I'm ironically using my S3 for enhanced search capabilities instead of Premiere unit...
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 11-10-2010 at 01:01 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
deandashl

Now I know why every time anyone brings up a "new" idea they get bashed to he$$ on this forum.

Other things TiVo forum members think are "just fine" or "I'd be happy with"...

Wired remotes......never replace batteries/save money/can't loose them
Wired phones
SD TV... it works/most people can't tell the difference/thinner
VCR's --- 8 hours is plenty/you don't have monthly fees/take the tapes with you
Dial up-- cheaper/use other "wired" phones/portable
Horse and Buggy--- no gas/slower and safer/ you make a friend with the horse

I guess you can have reasons for ANY old tech being "fine"

Maybe we should blame TiVo for allowing a ten year old SDUI to continue without ANY significant updates. Or release a new HD UI that isn't NEAR finished after nine months.

I think TiVo thinks the same way. Might explain why they are disappearing, a little every day.......
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandashl View Post
Now I know why every time anyone brings up a "new" idea they get bashed to he$$ on this forum.

Other things TiVo forum members think are "just fine" or "I'd be happy with"...

Wired remotes......never replace batteries/save money/can't loose them
Wired phones
SD TV... it works/most people can't tell the difference/thinner
VCR's --- 8 hours is plenty/you don't have monthly fees/take the tapes with you
Dial up-- cheaper/use other "wired" phones/portable
Horse and Buggy--- no gas/slower and safer/ you make a friend with the horse

I guess you can have reasons for ANY old tech being "fine"

Maybe we should blame TiVo for allowing a ten year old SDUI to continue without ANY significant updates. Or release a new HD UI that isn't NEAR finished after nine months.

I think TiVo thinks the same way. Might explain why they are disappearing, a little every day.......
So why do you care what a UI looks like beyond the need for it to be readable? I care about how it works. I have no need for TiVo to change the way their UI looks. If people are calling for better function I am with you if you just want an eye candy UI I could care less and would prefer TiVo spend time and money on something else.

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
digammatoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
So why do you care what a UI looks like beyond the need for it to be readable? I care about how it works. I have no need for TiVo to change the way their UI looks. If people are calling for better function I am with you if you just want an eye candy UI I could care less and would prefer TiVo spend time and money on something else.

Thanks,
AMEN. As long as my TiVo records programs, makes suggestions and keeps me up to my eyeballs in my favorite programs without having to constantly watch TV, I am tickled pink
digammatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
deandashl

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post

Thanks,
My Apple IIc had ASCII command line on a green tint screen.

It worked. I think this "windows" and that "mouse" thing are just wasted processor cycles. Just think how much faster Applesoft would work on todays hardware. That's all that REALLY matters, anyway. Speed and it works!!

That whole more than one color thing is just "eye candy".

More importantly TiVo doesn't NEED a new UI. The current UI is the main reason TiVo is so successful. How else could TiVo have 4 million, I mean 3.5 million, I mean 2 million.....subscribers.

Why update things that work. And the TiVo SD UI is a BIG reason why TiVo is where it IS today. Dying.

If only the OTHER 300 million Americans understood why the 10 year old SD UI was so great like the 15 people do from this forum.

Last edited by deandashl : 11-10-2010 at 03:16 PM.
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #16
caddyroger

Quote:
First they need to get HDUI to work. How can you use if it does not work. For a lot of us the HDUI is to slow and freezes to much to be used. I have in the SDUI mode.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
atmuscarella

Quote:
My Apple IIc had ASCII command line on a green tint screen.

It worked. I think this "windows" and that "mouse" thing are just wasted processor cycles. Just think how much faster Applesoft would work on todays hardware. That's all that REALLY matters, anyway. Speed and it works!!

That whole more than one color thing is just "eye candy".

More importantly TiVo doesn't NEED a new UI. The current UI is the main reason TiVo is so successful. How else could TiVo have 4 million, I mean 3.5 million, I mean 2 million.....subscribers.

Why update things that work. And the TiVo SD UI is a BIG reason why TiVo is where it IS today. Dying.

If only the OTHER 300 million Americans understood why the 10 year old SD UI was so great like the 15 people do from this forum.
If you bought a TiVo or any DVR to look at the UI I guess what you said makes some form of sense - personally I bought a TiVo to time shift TV. All I want the UI to do is to allow me to complete that task as simple and easily as possible. Tivos old "ugly" UI works better than the UI on my TV, Blu-ray player, receiver and pretty much anything else I have owned. I am sure there must be away to make it work better - but I can assure you it isn't by worrying about how it looks at the cost of function which is exactly what appears to have happened with the redesigned HD UI.

I find no reason to change things that work unless I am sure the change will make it work better - I learned a long time ago that change for the sake of change mostly is designed to get me to give my money to someone else for no really good reason. Which is of course what TiVo is trying to get people to do.

thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #18
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Are you insane?

If they removed the SD interface, I would sell the Premiere immediately and tell everyone I know to never EVER consider TiVo again.

It would be the most disastrous move they could possibly make at this point.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #19
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
And the TiVo SD UI is a BIG reason why TiVo is where it IS today. Dying. If only the OTHER 300 million Americans understood why the 10 year old SD UI was so great like the 15 people do from this forum.
*WRONG*

The user interface has absolutely NOTHING to do with why TiVo is dying. They are dying because of competition from cable companies who can offer a box that:

1) Does much of the same stuff as the TiVo
2) Has ZERO up-front cost to the customer
3) Has a monthly cost that is about the same as the TiVo
4) Provides replacement equipment at ZERO cost
5) Has local service centers so you can replace your box the same day
6) Has much better cablecard support with no tuner adapter needed
7) Needs no service calls to install cards and TA's and etc
8) Supports all the VOD the cable company offers
9) Supports all the PPV the cable company offers
10) Provides updated equipment at no cost

Those are the reasons TiVo is dying. It is because they have real competition now with really compelling reasons to not go with TiVo. For TiVo to survive in this environment, they need to put out a box that is faster, bigger storage, more reliable, and has TONS more compelling features. This is not happening....
Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #20
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

2) Has ZERO up-front cost to the customer
3) Has a monthly cost that is about the same as the TiVo
Number 2 is correct but number 3 is incorrect. I came from Dish Network because I was tired of paying so much monthly costs for missed or partial recordings. The longer I keep my TiVo, the less my monthly and yearly costs will be.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
Tony Chick

Because its almost 2011. If TiVo just wants to survive off its loyal customer base of 10+ year veterans then keep the current UI. If you market this thing as the "one box" that does it all and expect to attract new younger customers who've grown up with Mac/Windows/iPhone/iPod/Android GUIs then they need to move with the times.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #22
ltxi

Quote:
Are you insane?

If they removed the SD interface, I would sell the Premiere immediately and tell everyone I know to never EVER consider TiVo again.

It would be the most disastrous move they could possibly make at this point.
X2! And I would rather they not try to make a high res version of the SD menus, either. I'm reasonably certain that would just result in them getting screwed up as well.

I'm all for new tech if it's done right and serves a purpose, but done wrong is a pita....and sometimes simpler can be preferred.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #23
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
X2! And I would rather they not try to make a high res version of the SD menus, either. I'm reasonably certain that would just result in them getting screwed up as well.

I'm all for new tech if it's done right and serves a purpose, but done wrong is a pita....and sometimes simpler can be preferred.
I just upgraded my wife's' Original Series 3 with the TP, she used the HDUI for about 15 minutes and said it was too confusing to her, she would get the top banner bar and not know it etc. so I changed to the SDUI and I have a happy wife now. The HDUI was fast with 14.6 and she had no technical problems, she a champ at programing the TiVos but she just found the HDUI too annoying, too much on the screen, and things like going from search back to the season pass was more steps etc.
As for me I now like the HDUI on the TP, I upgraded from the Series 3 orignal and I am saving two cable cards.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #24
plazman30

Tivo needed better patents...

I fail to understand how Tivo built the first ever DVR and didn't patent every aspect of the box.

Though I am totally opposed to software patents, they should have had a patent for a device that hooks up to a TV, has a hard drive and through software allows recording of shows, and presents them in a menu for consumer viewing. That's a valid hardware patent.

I think Tivo's problem was that they wanted partners to make hardware and for them to make the software and collect the monthly fee.

If they actually patented a box, the landscape would be quite different now, since they would be the only game in town for 21 years.

Tivo's biggest problem now is that cable company DVRs are offered with no up-front cost. I bought a Tivo and my coworkers cannot understand why I have one. At $299 I think the Tivo Premiere is too expensive. I bought mine refurbished for $169. Tivo has refurbs for $199. I think that's the upper limit of what I would be willing to pay for a Tivo.

Tivo is in the business of porting it's UI to other boxes now. Comcast has a Tivo box, Cox is working on one too. Problem is, these are all watered down version of Tivo. No Tivo-to-go, no HME, no copying between Tivos.

On top of that people's perceptions of what's valuable are skewed. My coworkers won't pay $12.95 for a Tivo subscription, but walk in every day with a Starbucks coffee in their hands.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #25
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Number 2 is correct but number 3 is incorrect. I came from Dish Network because I was tired of paying so much monthly costs for missed or partial recordings. The longer I keep my TiVo, the less my monthly and yearly costs will be.
Dish is not cable. And on Cox, their DVR is $10/month...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #26
jmatero

I don't mind the SD interface. But after using my new Apple TV interface... Which is stunning to behold... My TiVo looks like a Commodore 64.
jmatero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #27
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
First they need to get HDUI to work. How can you use if it does not work. For a lot of us the HDUI is to slow and freezes to much to be used. I have in the SDUI mode.
I agree with this %100. I'm baffled why they will not simply fix the HDUI.
rahnbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #28
kilcher

HDUI doesn't work for me, freezes all the time. The only advantage I see is the bar that shows how much space is used/remaining. Stick that in the SDUI and I'm perfectly happy.
kilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #29
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
HDUI doesn't work for me, freezes all the time. The only advantage I see is the bar that shows how much space is used/remaining. Stick that in the SDUI and I'm perfectly happy.
That space indicator is very unreliable in my experience.
rahnbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #30
lujan

Quote:
Dish is not cable. And on Cox, their DVR is $10/month...
So what? I was talking about TiVo not being as expensive as other DVR services, whereas you were saying that they're dying because they are too expensive. I don't think they're as expensive as other DVR service companies regardless of whether is cable or satellite. Only OTA is cheaper but it's next to impossible to find a DVR that works well for OTA alone because I tried. Maybe I didn't look in the right place?
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote