TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
CTB6

DirecTivo rebooting daily - started this week

Hi all. I have a Series 2 Hughes DirecTivo that had the hard drive upgraded years ago. Been working fine for many years. Starting this week, it reboots every day. I would put the unit on standby in the morning, then come home from work and turn it on. After about 3 key presses, it would lock up and then reboot. It did this 3 days in a row. Today I left it on rather than go to standby. When I got home, I mistakenly hit the standby button to turn it on out of habit, and when I did, the darn thing rebooted.

It doesn't seem like it should be a HD problem, as it won't do it again until tomorrow. Maybe I'm wrong, tho. Any ideas? I have software 6.4a-01-2-151 on the machine.

Thanks for any input - this is really getting annoying.
CTB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

It's probably the hard drive.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
AwesomeDale

My receiver is the DirecTivo Series2 model R10, and it's never been modified. I have the same software version (6.4a-01-2-521). The exact same thing has been happening to my receiver, and it just started within the last week. It seems to be resetting itself when I try to go to the main menu. It doesn't happen every time, but it's been doing it at least twice a day while I'm watching TV.

I figured it was related to a recent software update, but I talked to DirecTV tech support, and they said the last software update for this box was back in June. They did say that a low power condition could be causing the problem...like maybe when it goes to the menu, the box needs more electricity and it's not getting it. I don't know why something like that would just start happening, but I might try replacing my surge suppressor or hooking up a battery backup to make sure it's getting consistent power.
AwesomeDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #4
jaydro

I'm having the same issue, and I think it's tied to receiving messages from DirecTV. They're coming pretty often now (it seems), and it seems that either trying to read one or accessing some menu after reading one results in a spontaneous reboot. I don't think it's a failing hard drive or power supply issue, as I've gone through those scenarios before and this one seems darn peculiar. Recording programs or watching recordings is unaffected (other than if the spontaneous reboot happens to interrupt them--I don't read a new message now until it's safe to do so). Okay, so maybe there are a bunch of bad blocks on the disc where messages are stored, but I'm thinking it's not that since at least two others are experiencing spontaneous reboots, too, though maybe it's all just coincidence.
jaydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeDale View Post
... and they said the last software update for this box was back in June. ....
It's been nearly two years since v6.4a came out. There was no new update last June.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
CTB6

One of my reboots was most definitely when I tried to access one of the 5000000 messages that DTV has been sending out lately. Interesting to see that others are seeing this as well.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
bearbig

ME too. My RCA DVR 80 has rebooted at least 3 times in the past week . If I remember correctly, always while watching recorded shows. I do not believe hardware is the problem.
bearbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
Nittany Lioness
Won't hurt a bit

Mine is rebooting often too, several times a day sometimes.
I assumed it was a progression of my Tuner 2 pixellation/power capacitor problem,
but maybe not, eh.

Gah.

Say - I thought putting one's unit on "Standby" was for the purposes of using your TV with other inputs (like when you would like to watch old fashioned antenna TV programming),
but is it a way to ... almost turn the box OFF, thereby keeping it cool, and it works less hard?

I always wondered why the darned things don't have ON and OFF, period.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
codespy
Go A-Rod (Packers)

I always had problems in the past with 6.4a on my TiVo's when DirecTV was pushing out new SW downloads to their DirecTV branded boxes. And they just pushed another one out this week (yesterday morning).

Whether its coincidence or not, I have documented it in the past.
codespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydro View Post
I'm having the same issue, and I think it's tied to receiving messages from DirecTV. They're coming pretty often now (it seems), and it seems that either trying to read one or accessing some menu after reading one results in a spontaneous reboot. I don't think it's a failing hard drive or power supply issue, as I've gone through those scenarios before and this one seems darn peculiar. Recording programs or watching recordings is unaffected (other than if the spontaneous reboot happens to interrupt them--I don't read a new message now until it's safe to do so). Okay, so maybe there are a bunch of bad blocks on the disc where messages are stored, but I'm thinking it's not that since at least two others are experiencing spontaneous reboots, too, though maybe it's all just coincidence.
I've had the same problem. Several times, I'd try to read a message, the Tivo would freeze for a second, then reboot. Now I don't read messages while the Tivo's recording.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
KSbugeater
Moved on to HR2x

My HR10 has been rebooting more than once a day lately, but I assumed it was the hard drive going bad. Now that I read about other DirecTiVos rebooting, I'm not so sure.

I will say I haven't noticed a connection to messages. On Wednesday, it rebooted three times while I tried to watch a recording of the Wisconsin-Iowa SD ESPN game from Saturday. That's where I got the hard drive idea. We surely didn't get 3 DirecTV messages within an hour on Wed morning around 10 AM ET?
KSbugeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Count me in as one of my TIVOs has rebooted twice while trying to read a message.
tigercat74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by codespy View Post
I always had problems in the past with 6.4a on my TiVo's when DirecTV was pushing out new SW downloads to their DirecTV branded boxes. And they just pushed another one out this week (yesterday morning).

Whether its coincidence or not, I have documented it in the past.
Good point. Seems that DirecTV is again streaming the v6.4a Tivo software, so this may indeed have something to do with the reboots. Of course, if the folks seeing reboots had older software, then a reboot would be expected as the Tivo updates to the v6.4a software.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 10-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
Ballinger

My HR10-250 has been rebooting a lot lately too. Sometimes several times a day. It did it again tonight when I went to the menu. I also come home from work and the darn thing is locked up, requiring me to power down the receiver and plug it back in.
Ballinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
Ballinger

I got on here tonight looking for information to replace my hard drive, thinking this was the problem. I still may have a hard drive issue since play back of some recordings are are starting to skip and have dead spots on sound. Thoughts? Replace hard drive or not?
Ballinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's an easy enough thing to do - certainly more so than the alternatives.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
CTB6

Mine was going fine today (I intentionally left it on yesterday) until I tried to examine my "to do" list. Then the pause and deadly lockup/reboot began. I'm still waiting for the *#&%^ thing to come back to life. This is really annoying.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #18
CTB6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittany Lioness View Post
I assumed it was a progression of my Tuner 2 pixellation/power capacitor problem,
but maybe not, eh.
Along those lines, mine is now doing that on one of the tuners on the composite output. The S-Video output became unusable a year ago, and now this one is, too.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #19
ukerin

I have a Phillips series 2 DSR-708 mine has also been reebooting several time a day .Seems to be doing it more when I am recording something I thought maybe it was because my Now playing list is to full .But I have been getting a ton of messages from Tivo this week.One think I wanted to ask about would upgrading the hard drive help at all.
ukerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
hp-1

Angry It's not hardware...

It's definitely not hardware.

I have two DirecTivo Model R10's and one RCA DVR39, and all three will reboot if there is a message and I try to either look at the to-do list or try to read the message(s).

This started around the first of the week (last Sunday or Monday). I have the 6.4a-01-2-521 software. I don't know when it was installed.

After the reboot, there are no messages waiting and the To-Do list works normally. At some point the messages reappear and then it will do the reboot thing if I try to read them.

Gonna call DirecTV tomorrow and see what they say.
hp-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 AM   #21
mrfixit454

Same here in the past week. HR10-250.. I go to look at messages and bango.. reboot city. It also does it when I go to the To Do List and maybe Find programs too.

My brother-in-law says his R10 reboots when he looks at messages too.

MrFixit
Humax DRT-800 - Lifetime
Tivo Premiere+ - Lifetime
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:34 AM   #22
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

One clear theme .... Don't try to read those messages until this problem gets sorted out.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #23
CTB6

Mine just did the reboot routine when I tried to go into my Deleted Items folder, so avoid that one as well.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #24
lancelot

My HR10-250 is not only rebooting, it's also locking up when hitting the Tivo Central button. I wonder what is in the stream that is causing this to happen.
lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #25
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
My HR10 is not having these issues (yet).
Old 10-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #26
n9ktw
the electronics whiz

HI all:

Glad I stopped here before opening up the tool box. I have been having the "reboot problem " anytime I go to record something . I thought it was my Phillips DSR708 series 2. But I now see that this is a common problem. So I will keep my eyes open on the board for ideas, BEFORE I go digging into the electronics.

One last thing that I have noticed with DirectTV receivers, every once in a while, and sometimes several times in a row. AFTER they have sent some "datastream " update my standalone receiver will lock up and require a reset from them. A service tech in the field mentioned that this is very common on the 4 to 6 yr old receivers.( the CSR's are allegedly told not to mention this).

Could it be that the TiVo's are having the same issue?????

Howard, N9KTW
n9ktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #27
Cinbad98

I am having the same issue and of all these posts, you seem to diagnose it the best. I don't think it's coincidence. I'm just not reading new messages. Have you contaced DirectTV yet?
Cinbad98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:17 PM   #28
CTB6

It's a conspiracy to make us long-time Tivo users get so annoyed that we upgrade to new units. Ha ha, the joke's on them...I don't even own an HDTV. Er, wait...

Old 10-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #29
ukerin

So what do we do about it
ukerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #30
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Having owned both DTiVos and DirecTV-Plus DVRs, the notion that it is "very common" that a datastream update will trigger reboots is nonsense. It DOES happen, maybe once a year by my recollection, and doesn't cause symptoms such as described here.

I have seen reported issues if you let lots of messages pile up, but otherwise, nothing that is frequent. However, since several of you are reporting something similar, there may be "something in the air" now. Do call DirecTV and report the problem.