TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
bobross

Both my tivo keeps cutting off the last 1-2 minutes of shows

I'm going through Comcast. My S3 has cable cards and my SAS2 is just coaxial cable. They are both synced with comcast time. Every show I record has the last minute or two cut-off, it's really annoying. You might suggest I "add minutes" but that will clip my other shows. Besides why do I need to do this? It's supposed to work correctly in the first place no? Is this a common problem?
SAS2@40H - Lifer
bobross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobross View Post
I'm going through Comcast. My S3 has cable cards and my SAS2 is just coaxial cable. They are both synced with comcast time. Every show I record has the last minute or two cut-off, it's really annoying. You might suggest I "add minutes" but that will clip my other shows. Besides why do I need to do this? It's supposed to work correctly in the first place no? Is this a common problem?
If you add time it will only clip the next show recording if both tuners are engaged during the time after the extended show. The TiVo will automatically use the free tuner instead of the one on the recording channel, even if the next program to record is on the same channel.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
bobross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
If you add time it will only clip the next show recording if both tuners are engaged during the time after the extended show. The TiVo will automatically use the free tuner instead of the one on the recording channel, even if the next program to record is on the same channel.
This would not work on my single tuner SAS2. I can't manually set the Tivo time a minute late?

I'm curious why this is even happening, is this common?
SAS2@40H - Lifer
bobross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
WhiskeyTango

It's done by the networks. They say show x ends at 9pm but actually runs until 9pm plus 30 seconds and the Tivo stops recording AT 9pm. They do it to hold viewers. If you are still watching their show, you will miss the start of another show on a different network and be likely to stay on that channel. At least that is the thinking behind it.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
This would not work on my single tuner SAS2. I can't manually set the Tivo time a minute late?

I'm curious why this is even happening, is this common?
As another poster said, it is a common tactic of broadcasters. You could set up your season passes and recordings so that the problem shows don't record on the single tuner unit, or set up the conflicting show on the other box.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
unitron

Every show? On both machines?

Quote:

I know shows get padded, but not all of them.

Go here:

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

Once you get there, change timezone if necessary, although the important part for this is the minutes.

Set a watch to it, then check the time on the system information page on the Tivos. Right arrow to the page, then left arrow to back out, right arrow to reload, at some point the time displayed will change to the next minute. If it doesn't correspond pretty closely with the watch (within a second), something is telling the TiVo the wrong time.

Go straight from cable into TV tuner, check the start of the network, i.e., local ABC, CBS, and NBC *broadcast* affiliates, newscasts at 6:30:00 pm. Cable introduces a delay, but it shouldn't be more than a fraction of a second. If it's more than that, get nasty with Comcast.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 10-16-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: add email notification
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

I know shows get padded, but not all of them.

Go here:

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

Once you get there, change timezone if necessary, although the important part for this is the minutes.

Set a watch to it, then check the time on the system information page on the Tivos. Right arrow to the page, then left arrow to back out, right arrow to reload, at some point the time displayed will change to the next minute. If it doesn't correspond pretty closely with the watch (within a second), something is telling the TiVo the wrong time.

Go straight from cable into TV tuner, check the start of the network, i.e., local ABC, CBS, and NBC *broadcast* affiliates, newscasts at 6:30:00 pm. Cable introduces a delay, but it shouldn't be more than a fraction of a second. If it's more than that, get nasty with Comcast.
A much easier way to see the current time on the TiVo is to use the following key sequence on the remote:

Select
Play
Select
Select
Clear

This will turn on the clock display in the lower-right corner of the TV screen. You can turn it back off with the same key sequence.

If the TiVo is rebooted, this setting is also cleared and must be re-entered to turn it back on again.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
unitron

With or without backdoors enabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
A much easier way to see the current time on the TiVo is to use the following key sequence on the remote:

Select
Play
Select
Select
Clear

This will turn on the clock display in the lower-right corner of the TV screen. You can turn it back off with the same key sequence.

If the TiVo is rebooted, this setting is also cleared and must be re-entered to turn it back on again.
With or without backdoors enabled? 'Cause all I get is it changes channels to channel 9.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
etz

try doing the S-P-S-9-S sequence while playing a prerecorded program instead of LiveTV
etz is offline   Reply With Quote