TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
yitbos

Nearly all tv shows on COX are protected

Hello everyone, I know there have been threads on this before but I wanted to ask the question in a different way. I have Cox as my cable provider and nearly all of the shows that we record are protected.

It's surprising because ones that you would expect to be protected are not and others that you wouldn't expect are protected.

For example, I currently have on my Tivo Series 3 HD the following:
Undercover boss - not protected
Glory Daze - not protected
Disney Prep and Landing (from Disney HC) - protected
CSI Miami - not protected
Finding Hulk Hogan (from Biography channel) - protected
Psych (from USA network) - protected
Phineas and Ferb (from Disney HD) - not protected

I don't understand how they are choosing what's protected and what's not. I'd expect all Disney things to be protected. But they aren't. I can't understand why Finding Hulk Hogan is and CSI Miami is not. It seems to be all over the board.

Is there anything you can do to work with the cable company to fix this? Do others have the same protection on their CSI Miami that I have or is it something that the cable company could correct if they are told about it?

I wanted to put a couple of the kids movies onto the Apple TV so they don't get lost but I can't do that with Prep and Landing since it's a protected show. And I don't understand what constitutes a protected show anyways?

If anyone has a suggestion or has resolved this somehow, please let me know.

Thanks,
John
yitbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos View Post
Hello everyone, I know there have been threads on this before but I wanted to ask the question in a different way. I have Cox as my cable provider and nearly all of the shows that we record are protected.

It's surprising because ones that you would expect to be protected are not and others that you wouldn't expect are protected.

I don't understand how they are choosing what's protected and what's not. I'd expect all Disney things to be protected. But they aren't. I can't understand why Finding Hulk Hogan is and CSI Miami is not. It seems to be all over the board.

Is there anything you can do to work with the cable company to fix this? Do others have the same protection on their CSI Miami that I have or is it something that the cable company could correct if they are told about it?

I wanted to put a couple of the kids movies onto the Apple TV so they don't get lost but I can't do that with Prep and Landing since it's a protected show. And I don't understand what constitutes a protected show anyways?

Thanks,
John
Basically the Cable Companies can legally copy protect EVERYTHING EXCEPT content that is available OTA (Over the Air with an antennae). The exception is by law.

The cable companies are not uniform in what they protect and what the don't Verizon FIOS is/was the best in this area. Until recently, everything was freely copyable. I don't have it (not available where I live) so I am not sure what they are doing now. There was a recent flap out west when they sold off some of their market and the policy changed there.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Rkkeller

I just had Comcast installed a few days ago and the only things that I have seen protected "so far" are the HBO movie channels.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

Thanks,
John
Please report this on the Copy Protection Tracking Thread.

What JWThiers said is a good summary of the situation. This is an old issue that has been beaten around quite a bit on these forums. I don't see much hope for a change. I'm on Time Warner and all but locals are protected.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
wtkflhn

Quote:

Thanks,
John
Well. I'm probably going to be flamed for this sugestion, but I have Cox cable box connected by the Ch3 analog ouput to the ant input on my TIVO. I do NOT have cable cards. I know what I'm coping is analog, but I can copy ANYTHING I want, HBO to PPV movies to any ch I want. So, my suggestion would be to get a non DVR cable box, and ditch the cable cards. I also don't have any problems withMRV.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
JimboG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
I know what I'm coping is analog...
I would have trouble coping with standard def analog on an HD-capable Tivo.
JimboG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
lrhorer

Quote:
Well. I'm probably going to be flamed for this sugestion, but I have Cox cable box connected by the Ch3 analog ouput to the ant input on my TIVO. I do NOT have cable cards.
Yes, you do. The STB provided by the CATV company has a CableCard in it.

Quote:
I know what I'm coping is analog, but I can copy ANYTHING I want
No you can't. First of all, unless you have an S2 (or an S1) TiVo, you can't control the STB, meaning most of the features of the TiVo are disabled. Having to basically sit in front of the TiVo to do your recording is absurd. Secondly, you can't record more than one channel at a time.

Quote:
HBO to PPV movies to any ch I want. So, my suggestion would be to get a non DVR cable box, and ditch the cable cards. I also don't have any problems withMRV.
Neither do I.

Last edited by lrhorer : 01-06-2011 at 03:44 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
Is this on one of the broadcast networks?

Quote:
Isn't this on a broadcast network?

Quote:
Unless you are watching it in syndication, I'm just about certain this is on a broadcast network. Any channels broadcast OTA cannot be copy protected by law, as J.W. Theirs mentioned. If these three are on network channels, then the CATV company would be in violation of federal law to copy protect them

Quote:
Is there anything you can do to work with the cable company to fix this?
I don't know there is anything to "fix" as far as the CATV company is concerned, unless they are improperly copy protected local channels. Otherwise, they are acting within their rights. You could always write to them, asking them to change their policies. Good luck with that. Otherwise, you will either have to live with it or take action yourself to circumvent the issue.

Quote:
Do others have the same protection on their CSI Miami that I have or is it something that the cable company could correct if they are told about it?
In your message above, you said it was not protected. If it is on a channel that is OTA in your area and is copy protected, then they are in violation of federal law, and a quick note sent to the FCC and copied to the local VP / General Manager of the CATV company will surely get it fixed in a big hurry.

Quote:
A protected show is one the CATV company wants to protect, as long as it is not a locally broadcast bunch of commercials... er... channel. They do not have to offer or have a reason.

Quote:
Many of us have. For details, visit the "other" TiVo forum.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:49 AM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
I just had Comcast installed a few days ago and the only things that I have seen protected "so far" are the HBO movie channels.
It's possible that will not change for you, but I would not make book on it. Four years ago very little on TW Cable San Antonio was protected. Since about three years ago, everything other than the locals is.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yes, you do. The STB provided by the CATV company has a CableCard in it.

No you can't. First of all, unless you have an S2 (or an S1) TiVo, you can't control the STB, meaning most of the features of the TiVo are disabled. Having to basically sit in front of the TiVo to do your recording is absurd. Secondly, you can't record more than one channel at a time.

Neither do I.
What he said.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

CSI Miami and Undercover Boss are current CBS shows, broadcast local OTA on Sunday Evenings -- frequently delayed by Sunday Night football. There may well be syndicated reruns on non-OTA channels also.

As I said in an earlier post, copy protection is a topic that has been beaten to death on these forums, including letter writing campaigns and complaining to the FCC. If it affected more than the miniscule number of TiVo users, it might have had enough political clout to get the FCC and/or congress to do something -- but it doesn't.

and
Old 01-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
wickerbill

It's strange I have Cox in Tulsa, OK and the only channels protected are the premiums like HBO. In Oklahoma City Cox blocks everything except the locals. Cox in Oklahoma pretty much operates as one company yet they aren't even consistent on something like this with their two markets. It works out good for me, but my friend that lives in OKC hates that he can't transfer shows at all. What Tivo really needs to do is stop copying shows between DVR's and start streaming on MRV to get past these limits.
wickerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerbill View Post
.......What Tivo really needs to do is stop copying shows between DVR's and start streaming on MRV to get past these limits.
LOL. Maybe posting that for the millionth + one time will finally make it happen -- but I doubt it.

and
Old 01-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
wtkflhn

Quote: No you can't. First of all, unless you have an S2 (or an S1) TiVo, you can't control the STB, meaning most of the features of the TiVo are disabled. Having to basically sit in front of the TiVo to do your recording is absurd. Secondly, you can't record more than one channel at a time.

Who says they're disabled. I tell with timers in the cable box, to tune a certain chanel at a certain time. And a timer in TIVO says to tune ch3 at that time. And I can record 2 programs at the same time. One from a cable box and one from analog cable or OTA. And I have a S3.

Don H
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Quote: No you can't. First of all, unless you have an S2 (or an S1) TiVo, you can't control the STB, meaning most of the features of the TiVo are disabled. Having to basically sit in front of the TiVo to do your recording is absurd. Secondly, you can't record more than one channel at a time.

Who says they're disabled. I tell with timers in the cable box, to tune a certain chanel at a certain time. And a timer in TIVO says to tune ch3 at that time. And I can record 2 programs at the same time. One from a cable box and one from analog cable or OTA. And I have a S3.

Don H
And what you are doing is working around your Tivo's functionality being crippled. First doing what you say you can't record 2 channels. Secondyou can't just browse the guide and select a program to record. Third what happens when a show changes its time slot. You might as well just have a VCR.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #16
skyvue

I have Time Warner in Manhattan, and only recently did my Tivo recordings become protected. It's very frustrating.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
thegeek

FiOS user here. The only thing I've ever seen flagged as protected was a music video I had downloaded from Music Choice. That's it. My now playing webpage shows download links for everything except the two items that are currently recording.
thegeek is offline   Reply With Quote