TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
superhalo

Question Comcast's Digital Adapters IR Help

I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but does anyone know what brand to choose in guided setup for Comcast's DTAs? I have the smaller one that looks like it's made by Pace. I've tried the Comcast Digital Adapter, Motorola and Pace codes and nothing has worked. Any help would be appreciated.
superhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
ggieseke

The Comcast, Pace & Motorola codes are all the same (10104). Those boxes use a crappy IR protocol and the sensors are easily overloaded. Most people use only one of the two emitters and shield the whole thing from outside light sources. One of the members here also designed a direct-connect cable. You can build your own or buy it from him on eBay.

http://grayeng.net/TiVotoComcast.htm
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
I'm surprised about the OP having a problem controling a Comcast DTA with the IR cable. I'd never used one until Extended Basic was taken off analog and a box became necessary, and my TiVo's worked perfectly with the IR blaster. (Of course, we got the Tomson or Thomson DTAs here, but it shouldn't be that different.)

The OP might want to try the hardwire cable that Gary Gray came up with to sub for an IR blaster.

I'll see if I can find a link.

I'll see
Old 10-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
This is just one of several threads where the cable by Gary Gray is mentioned.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=452438

There's a link to the page where he has the schematic for the cable, but he also sells them ready-made.

I got one, it worked perfectly, but later I also wanted to control a digital converter box on the same machine; had to go to the IR blaster which also works perfectly.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
rookie

I have a Tivo Series 2, and just had the Comcast service rep out to install DTA's (Digital Transport Adapters...looks to be Pace), because of the upcoming change to disable analog. The Comcast rep couldn't get the DTA to work with my TiVo...and called in another guy...no luck...they indicated that they have not had success getting these to work with TiVo units. I have an IR blaster to change the channels, but I/we went through a guided setup, and didn't get to an option where you could choose Comcast Digital Adapter, Motorola and Pace codes. net = we/they couldn't get a channel signal to come through when connected through the TiVo.

I've had Comcast's digital BOX (not adapter) from Motorola installed for many years attached to another TiVo Series 2 box with no issues. I was hoping to use the DTA on my 2nd TiVo instead of the box because the adapter is free and the box is $8/mo. Any suggestions on how to make this work, or does the TiVo Series 2 just not work with a DTA?
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
ghuido

Just use Gary's Cable. they just work. Never had a problem. Highly Recommend.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
rookie

I'm no techie....but it sounded like "Gary's Cable" was to eliminate needing to use the infra red IR blaster technology and associated issues to change channels. I think my problem is more core in that the TV isn't getting a digital channel signal when attaching the Series 2 TiVo through the DTA. Does Gary's cable solve that problem?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
I'm no techie....but it sounded like "Gary's Cable" was to eliminate needing to use the infra red IR blaster technology and associated issues to change channels. I think my problem is more core in that the TV isn't getting a digital channel signal when attaching the Series 2 TiVo through the DTA. Does Gary's cable solve that problem?
You don't get a "digital signal" from the DTA. The DTA output is analog on channel 3 (or 4?) which can be selected with a switch on the DTA.

As we discussed you can run the DTA output through a VCR to covert it to composite video, in which case your DT can dual tune the DTA and the analog channels on the cable if you still have them.

I just got my round tuit and installed Gary's cable. It worked fine with my Thompson DTA. The nicest part is simplifying the IR cable mess to one wire.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
I'm not sure if you saw this or followed it:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1277

It also links to getting the IR blasters hooked up after the DTA is working.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
rookie

I'll check the link thanks. And for the other post...don't read into my "digital signal", all I mean is the TV isn't able to get any signal/channel/picture/whatever from comcast through the Tivo/DTA connection...and the service reps have no idea how to make it work.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
rookie

Robbdoe1..THANKS for the link...I'll try it...I see a key difference is to connect the TV and Tivo via component cables (red/white/yellow plugs) vs. the coaxial connection I was using and the comcast rep tried.....which is what worked fine prior to trying to add the DTA.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

One thing that I learned when I set mine up: you have to make sure that the stuff is connected right and the signal is there BEFORE you run Guide Setup. During setup the Tivo checks the inputs for signals and only offers you choices based on what inputs are live. For example if the composite inputs are not connected it won't offer composite inputs as an option.

In your case you first need to connect the DTA to TV's antenna in, and tune the TV to channel 3 (or 4). You should see programming. Make sure it's authorized and works with the remote (you have to do the auth on the web site or call Comcast).

Then connect the DTA output to the TiVo's antenna (RF) in and run Guided setup.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
superhalo

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I got it to work using only one IR blaster and the Pace code.
superhalo is offline   Reply With Quote