TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #31
JimG19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I now can personally vouch for this. Thanks to a reminder from someone here -- which I can't find now; my apologies -- I ordered a card off eBay for my old Series 3. ($2.99, including shipping! Less than a month's rent on a CableCard through Fios.) It works.

Also, a single card is sufficient for mapping clear QAMs for both tuners, even on an OLED Series 3. However, the guided setup process decides between single-tuner and dual-tuner mode based on how many cards are present. So, you need two cards for a proper setup, but can then remove one. (I've ordered a second card.) If you can skip guided setup (because, unlike me, you never re-ran it to select OTA-only mode after returning your old rented cards), then one card should be enough.

This looks like a real answer to the perennial requests for clear QAM support that we see here. I'd bet that it will work for later models as well, but I haven't tested that. It's just too bad that we didn't find out about it sooner.

I tried but it seemed to get stuck on acquiring channel information screen. How long did it take to map the channels once you inserted the card?
JimG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #32
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I think McBrine is on FIOS. I am too.

What does this buy you? Does it map the FIOS Clear QAM to the real channels and get you guide data for the Clear QAM?

McBrine, what cards on ebay did you buy? Do you have a listing so I can see what you bought and find similar ones?
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #33
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG19 View Post
I tried but it seemed to get stuck on acquiring channel information screen. How long did it take to map the channels once you inserted the card?
Literally no time -- the channels were mapped by the time it took me to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
What does this buy you? Does it map the FIOS Clear QAM to the real channels and get you guide data for the Clear QAM?
Yes.

To clarify, you get guide data for all channels -- it's up to you to figure out which ones are in the clear, and edit the channel list accordingly. (For me, that's SD locals and PEGs (1-49), HD locals (500-549), broadcast subchannels (high 400s), and The Weather Channel, SD only (119). I haven't found anything else yet.)

Quote:
McBrine, what cards on ebay did you buy? Do you have a listing so I can see what you bought and find similar ones?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Gol...-/370904327136

It's the first thing that comes up if I search for "cablecard".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 10-03-2013 at 01:54 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #34
Dan203
Super Moderator

My cable company just started simulcasting and in the process started encrypting everything except the local channel and a few basic cable channels. I know this because my Sister had a TiVo with a CableCARD that we never got properly authorized. Originally it only effected the Premium channels so she didn't really care. A few weeks ago she suddenly lost access to pretty much everything. As expected phone support was no help getting the card properly paired so we had to wait for a tech to come over so he could call into his special line and get it paired properly.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #35
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I put the second card in, and immediately had two tuners, no new GS required. Now I'm wondering what will happen if I take it out again...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #36
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Literally no time -- the channels were mapped by the time it took me to check.

To clarify, you get guide data for all channels -- it's up to you to figure out which ones are in the clear, and edit the channel list accordingly. (For me, that's SD locals and PEGs (1-49), HD locals (500-549), broadcast subchannels (high 400s), and The Weather Channel, SD only (119). I haven't found anything else yet.)
I just did this. Confirmed on FIOS in my area. I get same channels as WMcBrine as well as WGN America SD channel.
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Old 10-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #37
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
I just did this. Confirmed on FIOS in my area. I get same channels as WMcBrine as well as WGN America SD channel.
I was counting WGN as a local (it's channel 29), although granted, it's not local to me. Annoying that only the SD is clear.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #38
Doit2it

Quote:
I now can personally vouch for this. Thanks to a reminder from someone here -- which I can't find now; my apologies -- I ordered a card off eBay for my old Series 3. ($2.99, including shipping! Less than a month's rent on a CableCard through Fios.) It works.

Also, a single card is sufficient for mapping clear QAMs for both tuners, even on an OLED Series 3. However, the guided setup process decides between single-tuner and dual-tuner mode based on how many cards are present. So, you need two cards for a proper setup, but can then remove one. (I've ordered a second card.) If you can skip guided setup (because, unlike me, you never re-ran it to select OTA-only mode after returning your old rented cards), then one card should be enough.

This looks like a real answer to the perennial requests for clear QAM support that we see here. I'd bet that it will work for later models as well, but I haven't tested that. It's just too bad that we didn't find out about it sooner.
Will this work for Xfinity also? And would Xfinity notice the card thru their system if you don't call them to set it up? I've already ordered a M card via ebay. I'm only out $5 if it doesn't work. I'd LOVE to have QAM guide data on my old THD that had been banished to the back room. Thanks!

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #39
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I will be installing an eBay Cable card in my old Premiere this weekend. (FIOS)

I assume it gets more channels then an HD antenna would get me? It is on a tv that doesn't get that much use, I am hoping to use it instead of purchasing another mini.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 11-02-2013 at 10:13 PM.
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #40
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
Will this work for Xfinity also?
It should. Just make sure the card you use matches the brand of card that's required in your area (apparently there are incompatibilities between brands). (And no, I can't tell you how to do that. In my case, I just got one that matched the cards I already had.)

Quote:
And would Xfinity notice the card thru their system if you don't call them to set it up?
No -- the cards don't communicate back to the cable company. Anyway, it's none of their business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I assume it gets more channels then an HD antenna would get me?
Quote:
For me, that's SD locals and PEGs (1-49), HD locals (500-549), broadcast subchannels (high 400s), and The Weather Channel, SD only (119)
("SD locals" includes WGN.) Also, at least for me, there's still no guide data for the PEGs. Plus, in my area, I get two markets via antenna, and only one of them via Fios. But, many of the broadcast channels don't come in reliably via antenna, and do via Fios. So it all depends on your situation.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #41
Bigg

Comcast now encrypts local channels in my area, and I'm making an educated guess that almost everywhere is encrypted, as we are in the last 10-15% of systems to get upgrades.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #42
Doit2it

Quote:
It should. Just make sure the card you use matches the brand of card that's required in your area (apparently there are incompatibilities between brands). (And no, I can't tell you how to do that. In my case, I just got one that matched the cards I already had.)
Yes, I ordered the same Motorola M card I got from Xfinity that is currently in my XL4.

Quote:
No -- the cards don't communicate back to the cable company. Anyway, it's none of their business.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Comcast now encrypts local channels in my area, and I'm making an educated guess that almost everywhere is encrypted, as we are in the last 10-15% of systems to get upgrades.
Currently, without a CC in my TivoHD I receive local analog stations (with Guide date), local digital SD and local digital HD (both without Guide data) via QAM.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #43
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
Currently, without a CC in my TivoHD I receive local analog stations (with Guide date), local digital SD and local digital HD (both without Guide data) via QAM.
Wow, what back-asswards cable company is that still doing analog?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #44
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Some LP and school stations are still sending analog OTA. Some cable companies, like mine, have a dozen analog channels and the "locals" in HD for $25/month. My analog dies next week. I still get 140 clear QAM SD/HD channels.

Last edited by JoeKustra : 11-07-2013 at 07:57 AM.
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #45
Boneless

Quote:
I still pay only for the locals in analog. The tivo QAM tuner gets me digital SD locals and the HD locals though.
Boneless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #46
Bigg

I was just wondering what company that is. Comcast and Verizon have long since gone all-digital. The basic channel encryption is stupid, but going all-digital is good since analogs are useless anyways.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #47
Boneless

Quote:
I was just wondering what company that is. Comcast and Verizon have long since gone all-digital. The basic channel encryption is stupid, but going all-digital is good since analogs are useless anyways.
Oceanic Time Warner in Hawaii
Boneless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #48
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Service Electric Cablevision. Current clear QAM:
http://www.secv.com/cdocs/qam_mah.pdf
The first "Local Advantage" goes digital next week (two free DTA units). Also not shown are some network channels from Philly.

This is the basic line up, not the $25 limited (plus HD locals).
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #49
Doit2it

I can confirm an unregistered CC works on Xfinity in the Nashville market. I get all the local stations plus WGN, CSPAN, FS1, FSTN, LMN, even XF3D all in High Def with Guide data. I get a few SD stations also including local, GSN, SCI, and some shopping networks.

Thanks for the info!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #50
Loach

Quote:
Cox in many markets (including mine) still does analog. I wish they'd get rid of it so I'd be motivated to upgrade the 20" tube TV that's hanging on the wall in my exercise room.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #51
tivoyahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG19 View Post
I ran into the same screen - was stuck there for hours and let it run overnight and never completed. Tried rebooting and still got stuck at same screen. This first attempt was on a liftetime S3 OLED (TCD648), same model tivo and same cable card model that I believe wmcbrine reported success with, but in my case not connected to Fios, but instead Comcast/Xfinity.

But then I stuck the very same Motorola M card (gold tipped version which I've seen reported in these forums as the best choice for comcast use) from ebay into an inactive Tivo HD (TCD652) and it acquired the channel map and guide seamlessly. Ran a fresh guided setup and still didn't run into the "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information" screen.

Both S3's tested were running 11.0m so that was not a variable. At first I thought the different result using the same card and same coax connection might have to do with the multistream card support difference between the two S3 variations. In this case I was only inserting one card and the S3 OLED had been configured for dual tuner including OTA. And then I also remembered some posts about the HD having a higher frequency range tuning capability vs. the S3 OLED - wider bandpass. Or maybe it was the S4 series where the capability jumped up to full 1 Ghz vs. 800 mhz cutoff??

So to test that I put the very same card into an inactive Premiere (TCD746320) and got similar result as the S3 OLED - stuck at same point. So even though the Premiere reported "You have successfully updated your cable card decoder configuration" and accepted the ebay m card just fine, it would loop on the "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information" and then go to a screen titled "Error Acquiring Channels" with the message "The DVR is unable to acquire channel information from the CableCard." And then it would look back and try again and stick on the "Please Wait...Acquiring Channel Information" screen. Got the same result with software versions 20.3.1 and 20.3.7.1a (pulled the fall update between attempts)

That screen on the Premiere at least shows a progress bar, whereas I believe the S3 OLED would simply show an endlessly spinning circle. However progress would never change - sometimes it would immediately show up the 50% mark as soon as it came on screen, but never move past that. And other times the screen would pop up at 75% completed, but again would just be stuck at that point and then finally fail and loop back to "Error Acquiring Channels". Ran a clear and delete everything (CDE) and same result.

Then slid the same cablecard into an active Premiere 4 (TCD750/20.3.1) that had just been CDE'd, ran fresh GS, and same result as the other Premiere (TCD746) above including showing both the seemingly false 50% and 75% progress bars and endlessly looping / stuck.

So it looks like I was able to repeat Doit2it's success result with xfinity and unregistered card, but only on a specific model. Based on his posts and signature it looks like he too used a Tivo HD (TCD652), but in his case it was lifetimed and in my case the Tivo HD was inactive.

Anyone have any ideas on why the different results between models? or what I might try differently? I used the exact same coax connection each time, so it wasn't a difference of signal level at one outlet vs. another - it was the same outlet/same piece of coax that was connected to all of them. And that outlet has good signal - I want to say green bars: 90 plus readings on the cable signal strength meter.

If the same cable card can pass on the correct channel map to the Tivo HD, why wouldn't it pass it to the S3 OLED running same software? I didn't try rerunning GS on the S3 OLED and dropping OTA, but perhaps the dual tuner configuration vs. one card inserted had an effect? in other words, running GS for cablecard only, 1 cable card, 1 tuner might yield a different result -thoughts?

Also, I have a roamio base and a pro I could try the card with. I believe I saw a poster report success with clear qam and unpaired card on a roamio, but I would have to search and look to refresh my memory.

Seems like a nice find and negates the need to do manual qam channel mapping / script with prom mod on S3 and copying/duplicating guide data from ota source to the qam equivalent. but it may be too late of course, with the clear qam window barely still open as noted in this thread. and moving toward shutting entirely. but nice for those in locations where the window is still open, or partly open for some channels.
tivoyahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #52
agredon

Quote:
Recently, some people have found that an unsubscribed CableCard off eBay (maybe not even from Fios originally) is sufficient for mapping the clear QAMs. But I can't personally vouch for this.
After my first TiVo Premiere died, I inserted the Cable Card [from the dead one] into the new one and picked up everything but the Premiums (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Encore, and Starz). I tried to get Comcast to pair it, but never could get it properly paired. I didn't worry too much about it since I rarely watched Premium channels anyways. Unfortunately, where I live now the choices are Brighthouse or Brighthouse (a nice little STRANGLEHOLD they have on this area). Prior to pairing their card, the only channels I could get [of the ones I tested] were Clear QAMs.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #53
agredon

Quote:
I bought a new TV on Black Thursday (since its now on Thanksgiving Day instead of Friday). I haven't personally checked any of them, but when I did a channel scan it "Found" believe it or not about 60 ANALOG channels. I was surprised since Comcast [which I had at my previous place] dropped their last [13 or so] analog channels maybe 1-2 years ago. It appears Brighthouse is lagging a little behind. Also, most hotels and some apartments, etc... still use analog. I remember staying at a hotel with a nice 32" Flat Panel HDTV only to find that it received only about 20 channels - ALL HIGHLY PIXELATED ANALOG.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #54
edpete97

EBay has lots of Motorola MCards. I just buy one of those and plug it in to get my locals I pay for with FiOS? I picked up 2 premieres at Walmart for $49 each but didn't realize I'd need cards just to get my locals. Once I get the cards do I have to pair them with Verizon or just run a setup on the TiVo and I'm good to go? Thanks.
edpete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #55
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpete97 View Post
EBay has lots of Motorola MCards. I just buy one of those and plug it in to get my locals I pay for with FiOS? I picked up 2 premieres at Walmart for $49 each but didn't realize I'd need cards just to get my locals. Once I get the cards do I have to pair them with Verizon or just run a setup on the TiVo and I'm good to go? Thanks.
Good luck with those eBay cards

You need to lease a CableCARD from Verizon, if you expect the Premiere to work correctly. CableCARDs are specific to each provider, and generally are not interchangeable, Verizon will not activate a CableCARD you purchased from eBay.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #56
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

If all you want are the locals, the eBay cards are fine. You can't activate them with Verizon, but you can pick up all the unencrypted channels without activation.

Of course the Premiere also needs a subscription...

Last edited by wmcbrine : 12-09-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #57
jonnyfive

So if I plug my TV straight into the wall, I get a bunch of channels (I'm assuming this is from the digital tuner in my TV??). However, I can't get my tivo connected because it won't work at all without a cablecard (I don't pay for any cable service, just COX internet). If I get one of the ebay cablecards, will I then be able to tune my tivo to all these same channels as my TV is getting?!
jonnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #58
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyfive View Post
So if I plug my TV straight into the wall, I get a bunch of channels (I'm assuming this is from the digital tuner in my TV??). However, I can't get my tivo connected because it won't work at all without a cablecard (I don't pay for any cable service, just COX internet). If I get one of the ebay cablecards, will I then be able to tune my tivo to all these same channels as my TV is getting?!
Probably Not. It might depend on where you are located though.
It definitely will not work on a SA/Cisco system, on a Motorola system, you may get some channels that are not flagged Copy Once.

Cox uses Copy Protection extensively, What you are seeing on the TV is the Local HDs in Clear QAM, a bunch of Legacy Analog cable channles (Channels 2-60 ish..) and a few SD Clear QAM channels.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:17 AM   #59
jonnyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Probably Not. It might depend on where you are located though.
It definitely will not work on a SA/Cisco system, on a Motorola system, you may get some channels that are not flagged Copy Once.

Cox uses Copy Protection extensively, What you are seeing on the TV is the Local HDs in Clear QAM, a bunch of Legacy Analog cable channles (Channels 2-60 ish..) and a few SD Clear QAM channels.
Hmm, bummer. How is it that a 7 year old off-brand TV has the right tuners in it to pick up all these channels, but the Tivo can't be configured to pick them up? I use an HD antenna with the Tivo right now, and I only get like FOX, CBS and PBS. There must be a way for me to plug the coax from the wall into my tivo roamio and get those channels too? You're right though, my tv picks up channels 2-60ish, and then a handful over 1000 which are HD.
jonnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #60
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

The reason is that they do not have software in a Tivo to read clear QAM stations on a cable system while your tv does.

I am on FIOS and have an ebay card. It gets all locals in hd, most digital subcarrier stations (like 25-2, etc) and a few others, like WGN-America, weatherchannel, etc.
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)