TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Mikeyis4dcats

Cox Tuning Adapters

We just finally got moved to SDV here, and I was sent 2 tuning adapters for our Premiere and Series 3. I hooked up the Premiere, and i get a screen telling me that the TA doesn't support 4 tuners. Do I need something different from Cox or am I just hosed? i tried calling last night but gave up after 45 minutes on hold.

i assume i won't have any issue on the Series 3 since it only has 2 tuners?
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
jcaudle

We got them almost 5 years ago here with SDV on Cox Fairfax County. Along with Cox's crap of Copy protect 1 flags. Went to Fios and never looked back.k No SDV therefore no TA crap.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Where are you located? I did see another Cox posting from Oklahoma, I think it was, that was using a Motorola TA, with old Firmware that only supported 2 tuners.

The poster said Cox updated the firmware and now it is fine with 6 tuners.

BTW - All Cox Cisco TAs already support 6 tuners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Where are you located? I did see another Cox posting from Oklahoma, I think it was, that was using a Motorola TA, with old Firmware that only supported 2 tuners.

The poster said Cox updated the firmware and now it is fine with 6 tuners.

BTW - All Cox Cisco TAs already support 6 tuners.
In Kansas. So I need to update the firmware? They are Motorola TAs.

after I posted I also discovered they didn't send a power adapter for the second TA.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

You can view the current firmware (platform version) in the Tuning Adapter Diagnostic Menu.

Motorola TAs need platform version 01.37 to use 6 tuners.

platform version 01.33 should support 4 tuners.

Only Cox can push the firmware update to your TA, I am surprised they have not already done so, Usually the TA automatically updates the TA's firmware within the first 24 hours of being connected.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
You can view the current firmware (platform version) in the Tuning Adapter Diagnostic Menu.

Motorola TAs need platform version 01.37 to use 6 tuners.

platform version 01.33 should support 4 tuners.

Only Cox can push the firmware update to your TA, I am surprised they have not already done so, Usually the TA automatically updates the TA's firmware within the first 24 hours of being connected.
I haven't been able to get them activated. The self-activation isn't working as it says the order numbers aren't valid, and I haven't had time to call in.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
I haven't been able to get them activated. The self-activation isn't working as it says the order numbers aren't valid, and I haven't had time to call in.
I have never seen a Cox CableCARD self-activation webpage, do you have a link? Or is the link specific to drop-ship order?

Old 12-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
I have never seen a Cox CableCARD self-activation webpage, do you have a link? Or is the link specific to drop-ship order?
I assume it's just for drop-ships. I don't know if it works for cablecards, but it does for modems and allegedly tuning adapters.

https://activation.cox.net/selfactivation/start.cox
Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The best number to call for CC and TAs is 1-877-820-8202

Old 12-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I have. The cox tech used my laptop to swap in a rental cable modem, to troubleshoot downstream channel 6 having a terrible SNR.

After proving the problem was not my owned cable modem, the SBG6580 with this firmware: SBG6580-3.5.8.4-GA-00-505-NOSH, he swapped it back in, but left the activation services page up.

I played around with it, and you actually could pair a cablecard via the web interface. I lost access once the tech's login session timed-out, but I did see the mechanism for online activation services of practically anything.

I've also done some self-installs for people I knew, and shipped equipment is set to automatically go to the same mechanism, and log itself in. Once activated/paired you don't get access anymore. I've never seen anything picked up at a Cox Store do the same thing. If you pick it up, you have to call the number on the self-install instructions. It seems a bit dumb to not use the same mechanism, just because you spent your time, and paid for the gas to go pick the equipment up, rather than having it shipped to you...

For the past year, 80% of the time I call to do anything, or ask about something, I hear that their systems are in maintenance, about to perform maintenance, or only half the system isn't performing maintenance. It took me two months to get credit back for a HD receiver, that was returned, but continued to stay on the bill. Day or night, two months of calling in, and just got the credit today, now I just need to see it on the next billing statement (the true test of success). Interesting that it took just shy of their two-month billing dispute limit, to hear it had been resolved. Coincidence? I kind of doubt it...