TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #61
bdraw

I'd like to add that although I am seeing this on my FiOS DVR as well as my Media Center PC with CableCARD, I did use the CableCARD that came in the FiOS DVR with a TiVo for a while before I switched it back to the FiOS DVR.

I've emailed my contacts at FiOS, hopefully they can shed more like than the CSRs.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #62
chazas

Thanks for following up, please let us know if you can pry anything out of Verizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
I'd like to add that although I am seeing this on my FiOS DVR as well as my Media Center PC with CableCARD, I did use the CableCARD that came in the FiOS DVR with a TiVo for a while before I switched it back to the FiOS DVR.

I've emailed my contacts at FiOS, hopefully they can shed more like than the CSRs.

chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #63
bdraw

I was told that it is indeed a CableCARD pairing issue and that CSRs should be able to help. They are going to notify the CSRs to ensure that in the future they are prepared to deal with the issue.

In response I'm trying to figure out why so many are having the problem in the first place as it seems to be that the cards should be properly paired during the initial install.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #64
innocentfreak

I am guessing it is staying as copy once and 0x12?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #65
chazas

Quote:
I was told that it is indeed a CableCARD pairing issue and that CSRs should be able to help. They are going to notify the CSRs to ensure that in the future they are prepared to deal with the issue.

In response I'm trying to figure out why so many are having the problem in the first place as it seems to be that the cards should be properly paired during the initial install.
Because historically, Verizon has not paired cable cards. Why they're suddenly requiring it for this channel and this channel alone is a mystery that is spawning countless conspiracy theories. Some of which I agree with.
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #66
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazas View Post
Because historically, Verizon has not paired cable cards. Why they're suddenly requiring it for this channel and this channel alone is a mystery that is spawning countless conspiracy theories. Some of which I agree with.
Yeah why set the CCI on just 1 channel? Still sounds like they got something screwed up on this channel. I have heard of easing in to something but that would be really easing in to it. Maybe in a meeting one of the engineers said "will just do it 1 channel at a time and no one will notice".

Robb

Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #67
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Pure speculation, but it could be something like this:

1. Verizon builds a system without the capability of setting the CCI flag. Gets channels to agree to be carried without it.
2. Verizon re-engineers their system to allow CCI.
3. New channels are not asked to agree to no CCI. Old channels already have agreed, so are not converted.

Time will tell. I still am baffled by the use of the image constraint token for this decidedly non-premium content, which makes me think it might be a mistake.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #68
bdraw

I'm still waiting to hear more before I write about this, but like many have observed the CCI byte is set on HUB HD which means your CableCARD has to be properly paired to view it. The installer is supposed to pair the card during install, but since up until now the pairing wasn't enforced, many weren't done properly during the install, or were switched to different hardware since the initial install.

What is still unclear is if the byte was set differently on HUB HD on purpose or what.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #69
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
What is still unclear is if the byte was set differently on HUB HD on purpose or what.
That's the key. If you find out let us know?

Robb

Old 10-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #70
tdel73

The Channel is working for me today. I never called Verizon to have my cards paired. I guess this was a FIOS issue and they fixed it?
tdel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #71
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdel73 View Post
The Channel is working for me today. I never called Verizon to have my cards paired. I guess this was a FIOS issue and they fixed it?
Maybe the current show is just marked copy freely? I only checked it once before so I dont know if every show was marked copy once.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #72
bdraw

It is working for me on my Media Center PC as well, but not on my FiOS DVR (the one I borrowed the CableCARD out of once upon a time). Very odd.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #73
innocentfreak

Also showing 0x00 for the CCI byte.

I don't know where to look to see if 0x12 is still set.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #74
Tivogre

It's also fixed for me in Northern Virginia. I can record the channel, and transfer freely.

FIOS!
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #75
rrg

Same thing here in NJ. Tonight, the channel is visible and the recordings are transferable to and from all TiVos in the house. Last night it was still restricted.

Probably the restriction was a mistake.

What bugs me more than the mistake is that it appears that hardly anyone at Verizon even knew what was going on. It took weeks to correct, plus Ben was told by people supposedly in the know that the restriction was intentional. It's not clear that it ever was.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #76
bdraw

No one ever said whether or not it was intentional, I think we just assumed it was. But now that it is off, it seems maybe it wasn't.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #77
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Well you were going to become Frontier so it was out of their hands.

Also Ben, bjdraw, from Engadget checked his FiOS DVR and he is having similar issues with the pairing screen showing with the channel using FiOS's STB so it is definitely in Verizon's interest to fix it.
Yeah, they suddenly started the CP crap about a month before we were going to Frontier. In theory, we were still under VZ control. It's unclear who was really in control/asking.

I don't have channel 789 on the Seattle area FiOS lineup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
Probably the restriction was a mistake.

What bugs me more than the mistake is that it appears that hardly anyone at Verizon even knew what was going on. It took weeks to correct, plus Ben was told by people supposedly in the know that the restriction was intentional. It's not clear that it ever was.
That's better than us in WA and OR. We tried to engage w/Verizon via their customer support and their worthless FiOSTV Twitter guy for weeks. Others on avsforum and at my former work did too, to no avail. For those who actually got an answer, it was along the lines of "we're doing it, because we can" or the claims that the content providers were asking for it.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #78
Bschneider

@FiOSTV stated the other day (Oct 22nd) that HUB-HD had two changes that were made to the "configuration" of the channel. 1 - to view with non-pairing cablecards... and 2 - change the CCI byte. He stated that changing the CCI byte had nothing to do with viewing the channel..
Bschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #79
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Then he's an idiot.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #80
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Then he's an idiot.
I second that. How do they even get these jobs?

Robb

Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #81
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazas View Post
Can you tell from any TiVo screen whether your cablecards are in fact paired? I am replacing a bunch of multiple S cards with single M cards in an upcoming appointment - would like to know what I may be giving up.
Your appointment may have come and gone but I'll respond anyway. Though M and S cards have rather different cablecard screens across the board (the ones for M cards being more cryptically abreviated), pairing info is under Conditional Access. The M card I had installed October 1st was/is paired. It shows Val: V 0X01. All five of my S cards remain unpaired. They show Host Validation: Unknown 00.

The data gyrations which occurred on the CA screens for my S cards starting Oct. 4th or so have stopped. For years the values were all in the negative - Auth: unknown, EnabledByCP: no, CAenable: not possible, CopyProtectionKey: Disabled. Except for the last value, all others have stabilized in the affirmative. This means to me that Verizon is preparing to apply copy restriction - at my VHO anyway. How and when is the question.

As others have said, paired cards cannot be easily moved between devices - without being repaired. This would be an unwelcome change in my situation.

I have no clue what was going on with ch 789 simultaneous with the Conditional Access screen oscillations. From my POV, the changes in CA values are more significant, and permanent.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #82
caughey

FiOS adds E!HD channel 696

I hesitated to resurrect a year old thread, but I think it's appropriate in this case. A week or so ago, FiOS added the E!HD. Like HUB HD last year it has it's CCI byte set to 0x02 (at least in SoCal). It's E!, so I'm not sure I'm too concerned, but it's the principle!

I've seen on another forum that some areas are seeing 0x00 and some are seeing 0x02. What are you seeing? Has anyone with 0x02 had it change to 0x00?
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #83
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
I hesitated to resurrect a year old thread, but I think it's appropriate in this case. A week or so ago, FiOS added the E!HD. Like HUB HD last year it has it's CCI byte set to 0x02 (at least in SoCal). It's E!, so I'm not sure I'm too concerned, but it's the principle!

I've seen on another forum that some areas are seeing 0x00 and some are seeing 0x02. What are you seeing? Has anyone with 0x02 had it change to 0x00?
In NJ EHD has no CCI set. When this happened before with HUB it took them one month to figure out their mistake and to clear the flag. In the mean time you can call and complain, or pair your card to your tivo ( I have heard they have a self install site for cablecards, I was wondering if you can repair existing cablecards)
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #84
teasip

Here in VHO1 (N. Texas) none of the new channels are showing with unpaired cablecards in TiVo HD's and they are flagged as CCI.
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #85
innocentfreak

I haven't tried any of the new channels except E! HD, but E! HD is definitely 0x02 here. I can only tune it on the Elite and Media Center since they have paired CableCARDs due to being new installs.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #86
dcpmark

Same thing happened with EHD (696) for me in SoCal. Interestingly enough, my S3 with 2 S-Cards and 1 TivoHD with an M-Card go right to the CableCard screen while a second TivoHD with an M-Card works perfectly. The one that works was set up fairly recently, while the other two units are older. I called to have the CableCards on the two non-working units reinitialized and then reloaded, but they still don't work. Any ideas on what to do next?
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #87
caughey

I noticed today that E!HD (696) is now 0x00 and no longer showing the card pairing screen in SoCal. Not sure exactly when it happened as I haven't checked for several days.

Are you seeing the same thing dcpmark?
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #88
innocentfreak

I am showing the same thing here now.