TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #31
innocentfreak

I am getting the pairing screen also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #32
rrg

Me too, on two out of seven cablecards installed in TiVos. Presumably the others are paired.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #33
innocentfreak

I checked all of mine and I only get the pairing screen on CableCARDs I moved. The FiOS rep on twitter, fiostv, is looking into it since the channel may just be set up incorrectly.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #34
rrg

Please keep us posted here on how that develops.

Is there any downside to pairing the cards in the case where it doesn't work? Apart from all the time spent on the phone with Verizon, I mean?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #35
innocentfreak

Well other than the fact Verizon doesn't pair CableCARDS, not really so I think trying to get it paired will lead to frustration only.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #36
rrg

But...presumably the ones that work now, work because they are in fact paired. So Verizon must have done that at installation time.

Are you saying that the current correct pairings are just accidental, and that if I call them and try to get them to pair up Host ID etc. for the cards that don't work, they'll decline to do it? Or not know what I'm talking about?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #37
innocentfreak

Probably accidental and they would have no clue about what you are trying to do much less talking about.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #38
rrg

Nuts. So do we just wait for fiostv on Twitter to sort it out?

If their plan is to copy-protect most everything (and they seem to have said as much) then this will become an issue for every cablecard user on most channels.

What if I requested new cablecards? They still schedule a service call for that, and I'm guessing they pair those when they're installed.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #39
chazas

Can you tell from any TiVo screen whether your cablecards are in fact paired? I am replacing a bunch of multiple S cards with single M cards in an upcoming appointment - would like to know what I may be giving up.
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #40
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazas View Post
Can you tell from any TiVo screen whether your cablecards are in fact paired? I am replacing a bunch of multiple S cards with single M cards in an upcoming appointment - would like to know what I may be giving up.
I don't think you are giving up anything. If Fios is setting the copy flag for a specific channel and you are paying for that channel then the only way to see that channel is to have the CC paired.

Robb

Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #41
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I checked all of mine and I only get the pairing screen on CableCARDs I moved. The FiOS rep on twitter, fiostv, is looking into it since the channel may just be set up incorrectly.
Quote:
Probably accidental and they would have no clue about what you are trying to do much less talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
Nuts. So do we just wait for fiostv on Twitter to sort it out?

If their plan is to copy-protect most everything (and they seem to have said as much) then this will become an issue for every cablecard user on most channels.
When we ran into copy protection in WA and OR (across most channels above 100) before our area was transitioned from VZ to Frontier, the fiostv Twitter guy was clueless and unhelpful w/his responses. I and a few others affected tried to engage him. I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #42
innocentfreak

Well you were going to become Frontier so it was out of their hands.

Also Ben, bjdraw, from Engadget checked his FiOS DVR and he is having similar issues with the pairing screen showing with the channel using FiOS's STB so it is definitely in Verizon's interest to fix it.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #43
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Probably accidental
I think it's more likely that they didn't pair cards before, but now do -- perhaps in anticipation of deploying CCI, as they now may be starting to do, if this wasn't just a mistake. My cards were all installed in 2007, and aren't paired. People with more recent installations, and with M-cards rather than S-cards, seem to be the ones reporting that they're already paired.

But I dunno. I certainly hope they drop that flag and continue with a policy of non-pairing, so that I can swap cards freely among devices. Not that I ever have, but it's nice to know that I could.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #44
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have swapped mine multiple times over the last 3 years with FiOS. Most recently in August.

I had thought I was viewing this channel two days ago when TiVo reported it as new.
But when I checked last night I got the CC menu. And 66 minutes on the phone with a FiOS tech was a complete waste. They were clueless. I just gave up since it's just the one channel now.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #45
innocentfreak

If it was a pairing issue, I would think Ben wouldn't have an issue with the FiOS DVR because of the way they are installed I would assume they are paired.

There is one hope. Maybe with the new self install rules cable companies won't pair since they will have to repair everytime someone moves them or swaps devices.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #46
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
If it was a pairing issue, I would think Ben wouldn't have an issue with the FiOS DVR because of the way they are installed I would assume they are paired.

There is one hope. Maybe with the new self install rules cable companies won't pair since they will have to repair everytime someone moves them or swaps devices.
I think that you are correct. Why would this guy be seeing the same problem with a Fios DVR STB? Do the STB's require CC's?

I think someone screwed something up on this 1 channel.

Robb

Old 10-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #47
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
I think that you are correct. Why would this guy be seeing the same problem with a Fios DVR STB? Do the STB's require CC's?

I think someone screwed something up on this 1 channel.

Robb
Don't know. I did rent one of VZ's high def DVRs for a week or so and it had a CableCARD bolted into it.

Who knows if VZ screwed up with that one channel?

They screwed that up with most channels >100 for those in areas being transitioned into WA and OR and we never got a straight or logical answer from them. Some folks got a reply essentially of 'we're doing it, because we can" and we got claims like the content providers are asking for it.

Right, I'm sure Current TV and HDNet, standard def Game Show Network and CNN Headline News want CP while it's right to leave NGC SD and HD and Science Channel SD and HD w/o CP.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #48
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I wouldn't assume that the cards in Fios DVRs are paired, no. Since Fios has not required pairing up until now, an unpaired DVR (or thousands of them) could easily slip through.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #49
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Well, that didn't happen. It's officially "The Hub" now, we have guide data (at least in my area), and it's still CCI = 0x12.
Another data point:
FIOS recently added "The Hub" in the Northern Virginia area. I checked and the HD channel (789) is CCI = 0x12 but the SD feed (289) is not copy protected.
My TiVo's cable cards are unpaired so I can't test hooking up analog outputs to test for down-conversion.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #50
blackngold75

FYI - I'm in the Philadelphia VHO. I just noticed the Tivo message last night about the lineup change/channel addition. I am able to tune to 789 on both Tivos (one HD, one Premiere) with no issues. If I remember to, I will check the specifics on this channel ( for CCI ) this weekend and post.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #51
tdel73

I'm in North NJ with FIOS. We just got HUB HD and I'm getting the same error message as OP.
tdel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #52
shamilian

got mine paired by calling the 800 number

I had moved a couple of cards, those all showed the pairing screen.
I called the 800 number and they need to deactivate it then re-enter
it they need the following numbers:

Serial Number ( it is on the pairing screen )
Cable card number ( they call it the POD id )
Host ID
Data

I also had an S-card in my TV and it did not work
(even with corrected cablecard/host/data numbers)
for that channel. I got it replaced with an M-card
and it now works.

After recording with Tivo it will not transfer to another
Tivo, so they have set the copy flag.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #53
rrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
After recording with Tivo it will not transfer to another Tivo, so they have set the copy flag.
You're just referring to HUBHD, right? Not to any other channel?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #54
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
You're just referring to HUBHD, right? Not to any other channel?
yes for now only hubhd has the copy flag set, which is causing the pairing issue and will not let us copy content from hubhd to another Tivo or Tivo togo
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #55
blackngold75

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post
FYI - I'm in the Philadelphia VHO. I just noticed the Tivo message last night about the lineup change/channel addition. I am able to tune to 789 on both Tivos (one HD, one Premiere) with no issues. If I remember to, I will check the specifics on this channel ( for CCI ) this weekend and post.
I checked and the copy flag is set for HUBHD, but I can tune to it with both Tivos. Is it possible that my cards are paired? How do I confirm that?
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #56
tdel73

I'm really not concerned that I can't copy the recording. If I want this channel do I have to call Verzion to have the cards paired? What is the downside of having the cards paired? Sorry for the newbie question.
tdel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #57
innocentfreak

The fact that some of the FiOS DVRs also have a problem, such as the one Ben from EngadgetHD has, with the channel, probably means it is a problem with how it is setup. If anything I would say if it is a channel you care about and you have twitter, I would send a message to FiOSTV. He is supposed to be looking into it, but said it would take a few days and I doubt with the weekend anything was done yet. The more people who let him know about the issue, the quicker it might get addressed or we might get an answer. Aaronwt already tried calling Verizon without any luck, but you could always try or try verizonsupport on twitter.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #58
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdel73 View Post
I'm really not concerned that I can't copy the recording. If I want this channel do I have to call Verzion to have the cards paired? What is the downside of having the cards paired? Sorry for the newbie question.
Yes you will have to call and get the cards paired to view this channel. The downside is you will lose the ability to transfer the cards to another machine without having to call and get them re-paired again. IMHO: that's no big deal. So if you want this channel call and get them paired.

Robb

Old 10-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #59
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
The fact that some of the FiOS DVRs also have a problem, such as the one Ben from EngadgetHD has, with the channel, probably means it is a problem with how it is setup.
While there is some ambiguity as to Verizon's intentions here, there is no question that the non-zero CCI flag, combined with lack of pairing, is the issue.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #60
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
While there is some ambiguity as to Verizon's intentions here, there is no question that the non-zero CCI flag, combined with lack of pairing, is the issue.
You would think the cableboxes would be paired when setup since the CableCARD is bolted in. I think that is more my point which should result in the HD DVR working. Then again maybe it is the unit he was given to test isn't since it is on a special account I believe. It may just be his since I haven't seem complaints from regular users over at dslreports or the verizon forums.