TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
eddieb187

Stops Responding to Remote Commands in SDUI

Why does my TiVo Premiere XL stop responding to remote commands?
I stopped using the HDUI because of lockups and have been using the SDUI since 14.5 update and now this issue occurs. Did not happen before 14.5.
Several times now my XL has had this remote issue. Last couple of times it rebooted itself after about 10 minutes of no response.
This time after about 20 minutes it went to TiVo Central and remote command response it back now without a reboot.
And when will they fix the Resolution Output issue. Mine keeps unchecking all outputs but one, usually 1080i or 720p. No matter what I select after a short time only one output will remain checked. We need a "Native" override please.
Six months now and they still have a long way to go before the Premiere is finished.

Last edited by eddieb187 : 06-07-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: request from user crxssi for the change
eddieb187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
jaredmwright

I have had the same remote issue running on 14.5 and 14.6 pre-release posted by TiVo Margaret. Sometimes the remote responds fine, but othertimes it lags big time and takes a while to register commands, or I have to enter them multiple times and hope it starts working. I haven't noticed my Premiere rebooting, although I have only had it since Friday. Overall the HD interface is much slower than the standard SD interface and I hope they improve it.
DirecTV HR22 HDMI/ETHERNET & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
moyekj

You are not alone in the Premiere SDUI "freezes" (unresponsive to remote). In my case the TiVo does not reboot but eventually becomes responsive again after a couple of minutes, but it's still very annoying and something my S3 does not suffer from. There are others using SDUI also reporting this same issue. By any chance do you have a Tuning Adapter or External drive attached to USB?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
jaredmwright

I am not using an SDV adapter or external drive, Comcast does not use SDV in my area yet and my TiVo is directly connected using ethernet to my gigabit switch. I have been trying to use the HDUI but the slowness really is a drag when trying to navigate, even just going forward and back to delete a show or make a small change is aggrevating due to how slow it is. I have also noticed in the HDUI when navigating My Shows list that I get a network error that network connectivity has been lost and it kicks me to the main TiVo screen and I have to wait for all of the images in the top bar to return before regaining use. This happened about 4 times this afternoon and I almost switched the the SDUI, but I figure the more people using the HDUI to report bugs and issues, the quicker they may be resolved.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
jaredmwright

Thumbs down

I started a transfer from my computer to my Premiere and it got stuck here after navigating to the My Shows list while it was downloading. It has been like this for over an hour. You can't tell in the picture, but the green circle is spinning, so it isn't completely locked up and my transfer appears to be continuing. I am going to let the transfer finish and see if it comes back, otherwise a reboot may be required.

Photo Sep 29, 11 12 50 AM.jpg
Old 09-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmwright View Post
I started a transfer from my computer to my Premiere and it got stuck here after navigating to the My Shows list while it was downloading. It has been like this for over an hour. You can't tell in the picture, but the green circle is spinning, so it isn't completely locked up and my transfer appears to be continuing. I am going to let the transfer finish and see if it comes back, otherwise a reboot may be required.

Attachment 13244
Shopping Paid Programming is rated TV-MA? What are they SELLING?

Ditch the HD UI and you should have less problems.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
eddieb187

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You are not alone in the Premiere SDUI "freezes" (unresponsive to remote). In my case the TiVo does not reboot but eventually becomes responsive again after a couple of minutes, but it's still very annoying and something my S3 does not suffer from. There are others using SDUI also reporting this same issue. By any chance do you have a Tuning Adapter or External drive attached to USB?
I have SDV with Time Warner Cable and that requires a Tuning Adapter.
I have the Cisco STA1520.
I do not have an external HDD attached though.
Why? Do you think the TA is the cause?
I have the same TA on my TiVoHD upstairs and do not have the remote response issue with that unit.
Funny, I don't have the resolution output issue with my TiVoHD either.
I should have just got another HD.
eddieb187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
jaredmwright

curiousgeorge: I actually use pytivo to pull files with metadata into folders and that is the rating I used in the metadata. It shows up as "Paid Programming" due to the seriesid I used, which is rather fitting since it is Paid content in the folder not recorded.

A reboot was necessary to fix the issue. The transfer finished, and was successful by the way, which means this is definitely an HDUI bug.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post
I have SDV with Time Warner Cable and that requires a Tuning Adapter.
I have the Cisco STA1520.
I do not have an external HDD attached though.
Why? Do you think the TA is the cause?
I have the same TA on my TiVoHD upstairs and do not have the remote response issue with that unit.
Funny, I don't have the resolution output issue with my TiVoHD either.
I should have just got another HD.
Just trying to find a common factor for those that do have SDUI freezes. Once in a blue moon I will get freeze on my S3 with TA attached as well and actually found a couple of times disconnecting the TA would unfreeze it. Before the TA addition to my S3 I never had these kinds of freezes which is why I suspect the TA contributes to the problem. So I'm thinking combination of Premiere + TA increases likelihood of freezes, but it's just uncorroborated speculation. Note that with TA attached every remote control action you perform gets communicated to the TA via USB - for my Moto TA there is an LED light that flashes whenever TiVo communicates with it, and every time I execute a remote command on TiVo a second later the TA LED flashes. So I suspect that passing the commands along via USB sometimes hangs up which then causes the TiVo to become unresponsive to remote control.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmwright View Post
curiousgeorge: I actually use pytivo to pull files with metadata into folders and that is the rating I used in the metadata. It shows up as "Paid Programming" due to the seriesid I used, which is rather fitting since it is Paid content in the folder not recorded.

A reboot was necessary to fix the issue. The transfer finished, and was successful by the way, which means this is definitely an HDUI bug.
Heh. Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't imagine what kind of shopping channels or infomercials you had there if they were MA-TV!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
baimo

Quote:
Just trying to find a common factor for those that do have SDUI freezes. Once in a blue moon I will get freeze on my S3 with TA attached as well and actually found a couple of times disconnecting the TA would unfreeze it. Before the TA addition to my S3 I never had these kinds of freezes which is why I suspect the TA contributes to the problem. So I'm thinking combination of Premiere + TA increases likelihood of freezes, but it's just uncorroborated speculation. Note that with TA attached every remote control action you perform gets communicated to the TA via USB - for my Moto TA there is an LED light that flashes whenever TiVo communicates with it, and every time I execute a remote command on TiVo a second later the TA LED flashes. So I suspect that passing the commands along via USB sometimes hangs up which then causes the TiVo to become unresponsive to remote control.
Cablevision acknowledged the problem with the tuning adapter. They had a tivo tech giy ask me if I would help debug the problem by reporting reguarly when it would freeze up. I told them I would not participate. I used to be a programmer so I dont have patience to do their work for them. I have removed the tuning adater ( I only get about 8 other chanels with it attached), asked cablevision to let me know when they fix the problem (haha) and now my Tivo performs much better.
I visit this forum to see if Tivo has fixed the problem. I know cablevision wont call me.
baimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Glad I found this thread. I am having the same issue with one of my new Premiere boxes. It first happened last week while I was running the HDUI to try it out. We watched a show and talked about how cool the HDUI was and turned off the TV and went to bed. When we got up the next morning, the Tivo was unresponsive to the remote although the orange light would light on the unit when a button was pressed, it remained on the channel that was playing. I did determine that the guide button would work which allowed me to change channels that way but when I would press the Tivo button, I would get the "ding" but nothing happened- even after a reboot. I called Tivo support and they were able to get it back working using a kcikstart code to reload the menus. They suggested I go back to the SDUI until the next update, so I did.

Everything worked flawlessly for four days until yesterday. My daughter was watching a transfer from another Tivo and about half way through (the transfer was complete by that time), when she tried to skip through the commercials...nothing. This time, no "ding" and no response to ANY key at all. Even the kickstart wouldn't do anything. Luckily, this time a reboot fixed everything- for now.

Since this is our main Tivo with the most recordings, I am actually glad to find this thread. Maybe, instead of a major problem, it is something that can be fixed by a software upgrade.

BTW, I am on a wired ethernet connection and my cableco does not use TAs. This unit has an upgraded internal drive and a 1TB My DVR Expander connected via eSATA. Maybe this will help someone else.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
chrispitude

This just happened to me for the second time in two weeks with the SDUI. It's recording something now so I just need to sit and watch until the end of the program and I can reboot it. Irritating...
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
desiboy

Try removing batteries from remote first

Consider removing remote batteries first to flush our remote memory. I had to do it once when the amber light in the (glo) remote would not go out.
desiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
curiousgeorge

Thought I'd give the HDUI another chance. Just had another lockup calling the TiVo menu. Menu displayed, discovery bar displayed, window showed live video, but TiVo would not execute commands despite the amber remote light showing the TiVo was seeing the remote commands. Tried ThUP, ThDn, Play, Play x 2 a few times, then let it sit for 20 minutes, nothing. Had to reboot. Thanks, TiVo.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
chrispitude

Third instance of Premiere ignoring the remote in the SD interface happened today. The program I was watching was still playing, so I kept watching. Ten minutes later, the menu suddenly appeared.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #17
moyekj

My POS Premiere in SDUI mode froze to remote control commands again twice today. Ironically one time was when I was actually going to navigate over to enable HDUI mode so I could get to streambaby which I learned is not possible in SDUI mode. Meanwhile S3 OLED keeps chugging along reliably. I actually swapped locations for S3 and Premiere - the S3 going to Living Room prime viewing location and Premiere relegated to Bedroom for less important recordings.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
maggiethrock

Try turning off the LEDs. I've had this problem for a while. During one of the freezes, I was able to access all the menus and change channels with an app on my iTouch going through my network router into the ethernet port. It seems like its an IR interface overload so not sure why turning the LEDs off worked. However, I have the same set-up in living room (LR) as bedroom (BR) (SDUI, Premiere, Cox M-card, Cisco TA). BR set-up never freezes. 3 differences between LR and BR set-up. 1) LEDs off in BR; 2) output is 480i in BR and 1080i in LR; 3) LR is used a lot more than BR. So, I changed the LR set-up to no LEDs. The orange LED still lights up when I enter a remote command but this seems to cure the freeze. I'm interested does this work for anyone else or am I just lucky it hasn't frozen yet.
maggiethrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
moyekj

Since I last posted I moved my Tuning Adapter USB connector to the other USB port on the Premiere and haven't had a freeze since. Of course it could be mere coincidence...

Old 10-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
ncted
A leaf on the wind

My XL did this since day 1. The other Premier did it less often, but we used it less often too. I returned the XL tonight. The other Premier is going back next week. They are just too much money to be that buggy. Not sure what I am going to do in the long run. Trying TWC Navigator now, and either it will teach me patience or lead to an early death. DirecTV is really the only other option for me.

Ted
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #21
moyekj

Well the jinx was on - had another freeze tonight...

Old 10-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #22
NoThru22
Smelly Pirate Hooker

I am using my brand new Premiere with an OTA tuner and network cable and nothing else. Had several freezes in the HDUI so I downgraded to SDUI and haven't had a freeze since. Been having a lot of problems with HDMI, though. Switching between HDMI inputs helps that, though.

NoThru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #23
moyekj

My Freezes are Tuning Adapter related

Had another freeze a few minutes ago.
FREEZE = Front panel acknowledges remote presses but TiVo does not react.

This time I disconnected USB cable to the TA and withing seconds my Premiere was unfrozen and responding to remote control normally again. I then plugged USB cable back in and everything is working normally again.

So at least in my case the freezes are being caused by Tuning Adapter. It's good to at least have been able to pinpoint the problem and have a workaround for it...

(NOTE: My S3 OLED unit has a Tuning Adapter attached but does not suffer from this problem - so looks to be Premiere specific problem, not a Tuning Adapter issue).

Old 10-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #24
maggiethrock

Will, the turning off the front LEDs was just a coincidence. I've had 2 freezes in the last week. The first was cured using moyekj's unplugging the USB trick. The second time the trick didn't work and had to power down the premiere. It always responds to iPod over wireless commands so I'm baffled.
maggiethrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:04 AM   #25
moyekj

Had a freeze again today and unplugging the TA USB cable also was not enough to fix it. I ended up pulling the power plug and changing USB connection to other USB slot on TiVo and then powering back up. It's a long shot that changing USB slots will help at all but I figure it's worth a try at this point. If that doesn't work then next time I'll swap Tuning Adapter with my S3 OLED unit for a while to see if that helps. I'll have to see next time if telnet interface to Premiere still works while in "freeze" mode.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #26
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

I ended up getting a new cablecard installed and haven't had a freeze since. I was having some issue with the freezes then when rebooting, the cablecard menu would always come up with the screen saying the cablecard was not authorzed for service. After three calls, a cable rep came over that day and installed a new card (good service, for once).

I haven't had a lockup since, although there has been one or two instances of the "long lag time" reported here- about 30 seconds to call up the Main menu when pressing the Tivo button. As a rule, we have decided that if this happens, no one is to press another button until the menu comes up. So far, this has kept the lockups at bay (crossed fingers, toes, arms , legs, eyes, etc.).

I wonder if part of my problem was the repeated button presses causing memory overload?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #27
TishTash

Starting this past weekend, my Premiere XL also stopped responding to its remote. As some of you noted, the light on the remote worked, the amber light on the unit lit up, but there was no response. The weird part is that the machine continued to record, and the picture was not frozen (both tuners, it appears, since once it was the other tuner that was recording); just no response to remotes despite lights on both ends lighting up.

First thing I did was unplug and plug. This of course resolved the issue, but it reoccurred a couple days later. This time, succumbing to the human tendency to fix things with brute force, I kept pressing all the remote buttons. After several key presses, the Premiere XL simply restarted on its own. Several farflung potential nightmare scenarios ensued in my imagination.

First I thought it might be a hard drive problem. Someone suggested a kickstart 54 to see if the hard drive was ok. Fair enough, but one thing bothered me: There was no picture freeze.

After digging a bit in various forums, it seems the following are true in these (somewhat alarmingly common, at least for Premiere XLs) instances:

1) The remote and unit respond via lights, despite no results,

2) The picture and recordings continue unaffected,

3) If one continues pressing remote keys, the unit eventually restarts, but, and very importantly

4) If left alone, the unit continues to function (albeit without remote access), and after several minutes (or perhaps even longer), the unit becomes responsive again ... sometimes.

Upon further digging, the following are also true:

4) If you have a Tuning Adapter attached to your unit, these problems tend to be exacerbated,

5) While not responding to the IR remote, as someone earlier mentioned, the unit will respond to an a network remote app, say on an iTouch or iPhone, which utilizes the network connection to remote control the TiVo unit, and

6) As someone else also mentioned before, the unit will also respond in this state to the new TiVo Slide remote, which also doesn't use IR, but Bluetooth via USB.

So it seems there is something with Premiere XLs that for lack of a better term "clogs" up the IR passthrough from the remote to the unit, apparently temporarily, but for how long at any one time is anyone's guess. Further clogging up the IR queue results in some kind of overflow error that forces the unit to restart. Waiting may or may not resolve the issue eventually. At the same time, the "unresponsive" unit does respond to other non-IR remote options (iPhone/iTouch app; TiVo Slide remote). (Now, why this is affecting XLs vs non-XLs, and more those with tuning adapters ... who knows?)

Does this make any sense to anyone here? TiVo has acknowledged this issue with XLs, and are working on a permanent fix. At least there are two somewhat kludgey workarounds, and more importantly, this doesn't seem like it's a hard drive issue, and for that, hurray.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #28
moyekj

TishTash, yes I think that it is an excellent summary based on various reports on this issue so far. I can't confirm if telnet interface works during freeze or not as I haven't tried that, but my guess is it does work as everything else on the unit appears fully functional, including current recordings and serving up shows to another TiVo or PC. I'll certainly try the telnet interface next time I run into a freeze as that's a viable alternative/workaround. One could probably plug in a USB keyboard and have that work as well.

When you say "TiVo has acknowledged this issue with XLs" do you have a reference for that? I haven't seen that information anywhere. Plus I should add I have a non-XL unit and have this freeze issue, so it's not XL only. I could perform an experiment where I leave the Tuning Adapter unplugged from USB for a few days to see if I get any freezes as another way of pinpointing if issue is related to Tuning Adapter in my case or not. I currently have no need for any of the SDV channels anyway.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #29
TishTash

Quote:
When you say "TiVo has acknowledged this issue with XLs" do you have a reference for that? I haven't seen that information anywhere..
When I called TiVo about this issue, the CSR told me that this issue has been reported before, and they were working on a solution. I'm not sure if that was just a prefab line or not, but there it is.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #30
spinhar

I have had the same problem, started after Tuning adapter installed

I have 4 Premier XLs. And only on the one with a tuning adapter have I had the remote stop responding. I see live TV, no freeze, but am unable to do anything to the TiVo. Have had to reboot. Has happened twice after the tuning adapter installed 2 weeks ago. Was wondering if it could be something to do with the SDV channels,??
spinhar is offline   Reply With Quote