TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #1921
jmbach
Registered User
 
jmbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 848
Hope everybody is having a great start to the New Year. I have been experimenting with drive images and my TiVo Premiere XL and I thought I would post my results.
I have been successful copying a 320gb premiere drive to a 1TB drive then placing it in my Premiere XL and through the kickstart portal code 52 upon initial boot to have it install XL OS on it and then use JMFS to expand it to a full TB. The partition map is different and I do not think you can expand that drive any further but it works.
I also have been trying to make a truncated back up. Have not been fully successful with this. I can get it down from 1TB to less than 6GB but the restore drive has some menus with altered color scheme. Drive does seem to work otherwise.
If anybody has a partition map of an XL4, I would like to see it.

Cheers, Jim
__________________
"Delay is preferable to error" - Thomas Jefferson
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Sir Isaac Newton
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #1922
HerronScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I just brought a WD20EURS in off of the porch, waiting for it to reach room temp before continuing, will see if it needs wdidle3 or not, but it's available on the hard drives-device info and management menu of the Ultimate Boot CD, a copy of which is a good thing to keep handy, so you could try it and if it doesn't need it, no harm done.
Unitron,

The one I bought 4 months ago already had it disabled so it was not needed.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #1923
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Unitron,

The one I bought 4 months ago already had it disabled so it was not needed.

Scott
Same with the one I got the other day, so anybody buying one with a recent build date probably doesn't have to worry about running wdidle3.

But it won't hurt.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #1924
retiredqwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Hope everybody is having a great start to the New Year. I have been experimenting with drive images and my TiVo Premiere XL and I thought I would post my results.
I have been successful copying a 320gb premiere drive to a 1TB drive then placing it in my Premiere XL and through the kickstart portal code 52 upon initial boot to have it install XL OS on it and then use JMFS to expand it to a full TB. The partition map is different and I do not think you can expand that drive any further but it works.
I also have been trying to make a truncated back up. Have not been fully successful with this. I can get it down from 1TB to less than 6GB but the restore drive has some menus with altered color scheme. Drive does seem to work otherwise.
If anybody has a partition map of an XL4, I would like to see it.

Cheers, Jim
Since I've been wanting to back up the XL4 anyways....

Disk '/dev/sda'
------------------
1 : start= 1, size= 63 ( 31.50K), type='Apple_partition_map', name='Apple'
13: start= 64, size=2148865840 ( 1.00T), type='MFS' , name='MFS media region 2'
2 : start=2148865904, size= 8 ( 4.00K), type='Image' , name='Bootstrap 1'
3 : start=2148865912, size= 16384 ( 8.00M), type='Image' , name='Kernel 1'
4 : start=2148882296, size= 524288 (256.00M), type='Ext2' , name='Root 1'
5 : start=2149406584, size= 8 ( 4.00K), type='Image' , name='Bootstrap 2'
6 : start=2149406592, size= 16384 ( 8.00M), type='Image' , name='Kernel 2'
7 : start=2149422976, size= 524288 (256.00M), type='Ext2' , name='Root 2'
8 : start=2149947264, size= 262144 (128.00M), type='Swap' , name='Linux swap'
9 : start=2150209408, size= 1048576 (512.00M), type='Ext2' , name='/var'
14: start=2151257984, size= 6291456 ( 3.00G), type='Ext2' , name='SQLite'
10: start=2157549440, size= 1638400 (800.00M), type='MFS' , name='MFS application region'
12: start=2159187840, size= 1638400 (800.00M), type='MFS' , name='MFS application region 2'
11: start=2160826240, size=1746202928 (832.65G), type='MFS' , name='MFS media region'
------------------
Unallocated space: 0 (0.00b)

Zones Logical
------------------
[0] /dev/sda10 start= 1121, size= 1 (512.00b), end= 1121 NODE descriptor
[0] /dev/sda10 start= 1122, size= 524288 (256.00M), end= 525409 NODE data
[1] /dev/sda10 start= 525410, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end= 525475 MEDIA descriptor
[2] /dev/sda10 start= 525476, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end= 525605 APP descriptor
[2] /dev/sda10 start= 525606, size= 1112592 (543.26M), end= 1638197 APP data
[2] /dev/sda10 start= 1638202, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end= 1638331 APP descriptor backup
[1] /dev/sda10 start= 1638332, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end= 1638397 MEDIA descriptor backup
[0] /dev/sda10 start= 1638398, size= 1 (512.00b), end= 1638398 NODE descriptor backup
[1] /dev/sda11 start= 1638400, size=1746186240 (832.65G), end=1747824639 MEDIA data
[3] /dev/sda12 start=1747841024, size= 1 (512.00b), end=1747841024 NODE descriptor
[3] /dev/sda12 start=1747841025, size= 524288 (256.00M), end=1748365312 NODE data
[4] /dev/sda12 start=1748365313, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=1748365378 MEDIA descriptor
[5] /dev/sda12 start=1748365379, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=1748365508 APP descriptor
[5] /dev/sda12 start=1748365509, size= 1113712 (543.80M), end=1749479220 APP data
[5] /dev/sda12 start=1749479227, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=1749479356 APP descriptor backup
[4] /dev/sda12 start=1749479357, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=1749479422 MEDIA descriptor backup
[3] /dev/sda12 start=1749479423, size= 1 (512.00b), end=1749479423 NODE descriptor backup
[4] /dev/sda13 start=1749479424, size=2148864000 ( 1.00T), end=3898343423 MEDIA data
------------------

Zones Physical
------------------
[4] /dev/sda13 start= 64, size=2148864000 ( 1.00T), end=2148864063 MEDIA data
[0] /dev/sda10 start=2157550561, size= 1 (512.00b), end=2157550561 NODE descriptor
[0] /dev/sda10 start=2157550562, size= 524288 (256.00M), end=2158074849 NODE data
[1] /dev/sda10 start=2158074850, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=2158074915 MEDIA descriptor
[2] /dev/sda10 start=2158074916, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=2158075045 APP descriptor
[2] /dev/sda10 start=2158075046, size= 1112592 (543.26M), end=2159187637 APP data
[2] /dev/sda10 start=2159187642, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=2159187771 APP descriptor backup
[1] /dev/sda10 start=2159187772, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=2159187837 MEDIA descriptor backup
[0] /dev/sda10 start=2159187838, size= 1 (512.00b), end=2159187838 NODE descriptor backup
[3] /dev/sda12 start=2159187840, size= 1 (512.00b), end=2159187840 NODE descriptor
[3] /dev/sda12 start=2159187841, size= 524288 (256.00M), end=2159712128 NODE data
[4] /dev/sda12 start=2159712129, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=2159712194 MEDIA descriptor
[5] /dev/sda12 start=2159712195, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=2159712324 APP descriptor
[5] /dev/sda12 start=2159712325, size= 1113712 (543.80M), end=2160826036 APP data
[5] /dev/sda12 start=2160826043, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=2160826172 APP descriptor backup
[4] /dev/sda12 start=2160826173, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=2160826238 MEDIA descriptor backup
[3] /dev/sda12 start=2160826239, size= 1 (512.00b), end=2160826239 NODE descriptor backup
[1] /dev/sda11 start=2160826240, size=1746186240 (832.65G), end=3907012479 MEDIA data
------------------


Size of zones:
Used: 2310049624 (1.08T)
Free: 1588275496 (757.35G)
Total: 3898325120 (1.82T)

Recordable space reported by Tivo: 3898344448 (1.82T), approximately 287 HD hours


MfsLayout: done
__________________
I'm not retired... I'm a professional grandparent.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #1925
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
Since I've been wanting to back up the XL4 anyways....

Disk '/dev/sda'
------------------
1 : start= 1, size= 63 ( 31.50K), type='Apple_partition_map', name='Apple'
13: start= 64, size=2148865840 ( 1.00T), type='MFS' , name='MFS media region 2'
2 : start=2148865904, size= 8 ( 4.00K), type='Image' , name='Bootstrap 1'
3 : start=2148865912, size= 16384 ( 8.00M), type='Image' , name='Kernel 1'
4 : start=2148882296, size= 524288 (256.00M), type='Ext2' , name='Root 1'
5 : start=2149406584, size= 8 ( 4.00K), type='Image' , name='Bootstrap 2'
6 : start=2149406592, size= 16384 ( 8.00M), type='Image' , name='Kernel 2'
7 : start=2149422976, size= 524288 (256.00M), type='Ext2' , name='Root 2'
8 : start=2149947264, size= 262144 (128.00M), type='Swap' , name='Linux swap'
9 : start=2150209408, size= 1048576 (512.00M), type='Ext2' , name='/var'
14: start=2151257984, size= 6291456 ( 3.00G), type='Ext2' , name='SQLite'
10: start=2157549440, size= 1638400 (800.00M), type='MFS' , name='MFS application region'
12: start=2159187840, size= 1638400 (800.00M), type='MFS' , name='MFS application region 2'
11: start=2160826240, size=1746202928 (832.65G), type='MFS' , name='MFS media region'
------------------
Unallocated space: 0 (0.00b)

Zones Logical
------------------
[0] /dev/sda10 start= 1121, size= 1 (512.00b), end= 1121 NODE descriptor
[0] /dev/sda10 start= 1122, size= 524288 (256.00M), end= 525409 NODE data
[1] /dev/sda10 start= 525410, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end= 525475 MEDIA descriptor
[2] /dev/sda10 start= 525476, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end= 525605 APP descriptor
[2] /dev/sda10 start= 525606, size= 1112592 (543.26M), end= 1638197 APP data
[2] /dev/sda10 start= 1638202, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end= 1638331 APP descriptor backup
[1] /dev/sda10 start= 1638332, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end= 1638397 MEDIA descriptor backup
[0] /dev/sda10 start= 1638398, size= 1 (512.00b), end= 1638398 NODE descriptor backup
[1] /dev/sda11 start= 1638400, size=1746186240 (832.65G), end=1747824639 MEDIA data
[3] /dev/sda12 start=1747841024, size= 1 (512.00b), end=1747841024 NODE descriptor
[3] /dev/sda12 start=1747841025, size= 524288 (256.00M), end=1748365312 NODE data
[4] /dev/sda12 start=1748365313, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=1748365378 MEDIA descriptor
[5] /dev/sda12 start=1748365379, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=1748365508 APP descriptor
[5] /dev/sda12 start=1748365509, size= 1113712 (543.80M), end=1749479220 APP data
[5] /dev/sda12 start=1749479227, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=1749479356 APP descriptor backup
[4] /dev/sda12 start=1749479357, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=1749479422 MEDIA descriptor backup
[3] /dev/sda12 start=1749479423, size= 1 (512.00b), end=1749479423 NODE descriptor backup
[4] /dev/sda13 start=1749479424, size=2148864000 ( 1.00T), end=3898343423 MEDIA data
------------------

Zones Physical
------------------
[4] /dev/sda13 start= 64, size=2148864000 ( 1.00T), end=2148864063 MEDIA data
[0] /dev/sda10 start=2157550561, size= 1 (512.00b), end=2157550561 NODE descriptor
[0] /dev/sda10 start=2157550562, size= 524288 (256.00M), end=2158074849 NODE data
[1] /dev/sda10 start=2158074850, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=2158074915 MEDIA descriptor
[2] /dev/sda10 start=2158074916, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=2158075045 APP descriptor
[2] /dev/sda10 start=2158075046, size= 1112592 (543.26M), end=2159187637 APP data
[2] /dev/sda10 start=2159187642, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=2159187771 APP descriptor backup
[1] /dev/sda10 start=2159187772, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=2159187837 MEDIA descriptor backup
[0] /dev/sda10 start=2159187838, size= 1 (512.00b), end=2159187838 NODE descriptor backup
[3] /dev/sda12 start=2159187840, size= 1 (512.00b), end=2159187840 NODE descriptor
[3] /dev/sda12 start=2159187841, size= 524288 (256.00M), end=2159712128 NODE data
[4] /dev/sda12 start=2159712129, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=2159712194 MEDIA descriptor
[5] /dev/sda12 start=2159712195, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=2159712324 APP descriptor
[5] /dev/sda12 start=2159712325, size= 1113712 (543.80M), end=2160826036 APP data
[5] /dev/sda12 start=2160826043, size= 130 ( 65.00K), end=2160826172 APP descriptor backup
[4] /dev/sda12 start=2160826173, size= 66 ( 33.00K), end=2160826238 MEDIA descriptor backup
[3] /dev/sda12 start=2160826239, size= 1 (512.00b), end=2160826239 NODE descriptor backup
[1] /dev/sda11 start=2160826240, size=1746186240 (832.65G), end=3907012479 MEDIA data
------------------


Size of zones:
Used: 2310049624 (1.08T)
Free: 1588275496 (757.35G)
Total: 3898325120 (1.82T)

Recordable space reported by Tivo: 3898344448 (1.82T), approximately 287 HD hours


MfsLayout: done
What software did you use to generate that report?

It looks a little more detailed than

pdisk -l

turns out, but not quite what WinMFS's mfsinfo reports.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #1926
retiredqwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What software did you use to generate that report?

It looks a little more detailed than

pdisk -l

turns out, but not quite what WinMFS's mfsinfo reports.
Read message #1 of this thread.....mfslayout.sh
__________________
I'm not retired... I'm a professional grandparent.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #1927
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
Read message #1 of this thread.....mfslayout.sh
OK, thanks, didn't realize you were using jmfs to look at it, and frankly I've only used the guide steps from it to copy and expand an S3 HD drive, never played around with it the way I have with the MFS Live cd.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #1928
capkj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12
Is there a way to do this on a standard linux distro? I am not highly fluid in linux but I would like to try beating my head against my linux box for a few days learning.

Thanks
capkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #1929
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by capkj View Post
Is there a way to do this on a standard linux distro? I am not highly fluid in linux but I would like to try beating my head against my linux box for a few days learning.

Thanks
If there's a way to do it without using comer's jmfs in some way, I've yet to hear of it.

But there are no doubt plenty of ways to screw up a Premiere drive and turn your TiVo into a boat anchor, and what you have in mind will probably lead you to discover at least one of them.

Go back and read the first post of this thread, the advanced section, and see if that's not enough to slake your thirst for the command line.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #1930
DM3MD157
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 73
Has anyone used the WD20EZRX in their Premiere?
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #1931
djjuice
Registered User
 
djjuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38
I made a mistake of copying to the tivo drive, it ran out space pretty fast, did i hose the original tivo HD? I'm doing this at a friends without the actual tivo hardware. it appears it just tried to copy to the free space which it ran out, since it states its only in read mode
djjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #1932
capkj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If there's a way to do it without using comer's jmfs in some way, I've yet to hear of it.

But there are no doubt plenty of ways to screw up a Premiere drive and turn your TiVo into a boat anchor, and what you have in mind will probably lead you to discover at least one of them.

Go back and read the first post of this thread, the advanced section, and see if that's not enough to slake your thirst for the command line.
Thanks for the advice.
I'm pretty good at making sure I've got a good backup before messing with stuff that can I can break easily. I already did a ddrescue on the drive, and verified it in the premiere.

To clarify, what I was wondering is if it is possible to use JMFS in a standard linux environment. (no boot cd) like comer used to do as posted in:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...21#post8095021
capkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #1933
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by capkj View Post
Thanks for the advice.
I'm pretty good at making sure I've got a good backup before messing with stuff that can I can break easily. I already did a ddrescue on the drive, and verified it in the premiere.

To clarify, what I was wondering is if it is possible to use JMFS in a standard linux environment. (no boot cd) like comer used to do as posted in:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...21#post8095021
I'd tell you to contact comer and ask him (since I don't know), but he'd probably tell you to read that post.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #1934
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjuice View Post
I made a mistake of copying to the tivo drive, it ran out space pretty fast, did i hose the original tivo HD? I'm doing this at a friends without the actual tivo hardware. it appears it just tried to copy to the free space which it ran out, since it states its only in read mode
You made the mistake of copying what to the TiVo drive, and which model TiVo did it come out of? A Premiere?

Did you get the drives backwards and copy the new, empty drive onto the TiVo drive?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #1935
djjuice
Registered User
 
djjuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You made the mistake of copying what to the TiVo drive, and which model TiVo did it come out of? A Premiere?

Did you get the drives backwards and copy the new, empty drive onto the TiVo drive?
ok so i went through the steps, selected the tivo, then selected the tivo drive again as the drive to copy to. this gave the out of space error after about 5 min. I then rebooted and did the copying correctly. I'm just wondering if I messed up the original HD or did it just try to copy to the free space and then ran out (thus everything is ok?). I DO have an older 320GB drive that is still untouched if the worst case comes around.
djjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #1936
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjuice View Post
ok so i went through the steps, selected the tivo, then selected the tivo drive again as the drive to copy to. this gave the out of space error after about 5 min. I then rebooted and did the copying correctly. I'm just wondering if I messed up the original HD or did it just try to copy to the free space and then ran out (thus everything is ok?). I DO have an older 320GB drive that is still untouched if the worst case comes around.
Be more specific.

People sometimes post about other model TiVos and other methods and softwares in this thread.

You're trying to put a bigger drive in a Premiere?

You booted with the jmfs cd?

You selected the original drive as both source and target?

I wouldn't have thought it would let you do that, and it should have caught that one drive had the TiVo software on it and the other drive did not.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #1937
djjuice
Registered User
 
djjuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Be more specific.

People sometimes post about other model TiVos and other methods and softwares in this thread.

You're trying to put a bigger drive in a Premiere?

You booted with the jmfs cd?

You selected the original drive as both source and target?

I wouldn't have thought it would let you do that, and it should have caught that one drive had the TiVo software on it and the other drive did not.
ok so its a premiere, (4 tuner) used the boot cd, selected the tivo Hard Drive first, then selected the Tivo Hard drive again instead of the new 2TB hard drive. after 5 minutes it errors out saying out of a free space.

so i restarted and did it the correct way (writing to 2TB drive). I'm actually still waiting for it to finish.

my concern is that did I actually write over anything on the original tivo Hard drive? I would think not since it would be in read only mode. if anything it wrote to free space and cancelled out since there was not enough free space.

Last edited by djjuice : 01-05-2013 at 03:29 AM.
djjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #1938
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjuice View Post
ok so its a premiere, (4 tuner) used the boot cd, selected the tivo Hard Drive first, then selected the Tivo Hard drive again instead of the new 2TB hard drive. after 5 minutes it errors out saying out of a free space.

so i restarted and did it the correct way (writing to 2TB drive). I'm actually still waiting for it to finish.

my concern is that did I actually write over anything on the original tivo Hard drive? I would think not since it would be in read only mode. if anything it wrote to free space and cancelled out since there was not enough free space.
I've never found myself copying a drive to itself, and didn't know that was even possible, although if it read each sector into memory and then wrote it where it was supposed to go you may have gotten extremely lucky, although how a drive can be both read-only and read-write is another mystery.

Perhaps you've found a bug in jmfs.

Are you sure you haven't overwritten the boot hard drive (the one with Windows on it) of the PC you're using with the contents of the original TiVo drive?

If so, the Ulimate Boot CD (and I think the command line part of the Parted Magic CD) has a utility called testdisk which might be able to recover the original DOS/Windows partitioning, although how much of the data got scrambled I couldn't say.

Is this the 4 tuner version that comes stock with a 1TB drive or a 2TB drive?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #1939
CoxInPHX
COX Communications
 
CoxInPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is this the 4 tuner version that comes stock with a 1TB drive or a 2TB drive?
4 Tuners come in 2 flavors,
500GB - Premiere 4
2TB - Premiere XL4/Elite
__________________
Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, & Mini, 20.4.5c, w/ Cisco SDV TA, FW F.2001, Cisco CC FW PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #1940
GPT999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 19
Replacing Super Sized Drive- Premiere

Hi,

I did search thru thread, but maybe missed this...

So I want to replace my supersized 2 Tb HDD with another 2 Tb HDD...

I replaced my internal Premiere drive and supersized to a 2Tb, a year or 2 ago, its now making some noises so I think I should replace it b4 it craps out.

My question is, can I use this utility (do I need to use this utility?) to create a new drive or can just do a disk copy of the original to the new 2 Tb. I would lthink I could just do a low level disk copy to make the new one?

It's at 80% full and I'd like to retain the recordings.
GPT999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #1941
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPT999 View Post
Hi,

I did search thru thread, but maybe missed this...

So I want to replace my supersized 2 Tb HDD with another 2 Tb HDD...

I replaced my internal Premiere drive and supersized to a 2Tb, a year or 2 ago, its now making some noises so I think I should replace it b4 it craps out.

My question is, can I use this utility (do I need to use this utility?) to create a new drive or can just do a disk copy of the original to the new 2 Tb. I would lthink I could just do a low level disk copy to make the new one?

It's at 80% full and I'd like to retain the recordings.
I assume you used the jmfs cd back when to copy the original 320 to the new 2TB and expand?

Use it again

Your new 2TB drive has to have an LBA number at least as large as the LBA number of the olde 2TB drive.

You also have to be absolutely certain which drive is /dev/sdthisdrive and which is /dev/sdthatdrive, or you'll wind up copying the emptiness of the new drive to the TiVo drive.

When you boot the jmfs cd, it should start in the guide shell, and should detect which is the TiVo drive and which one(s) isn't(aren't) yet.

Assuming you will not be using a GigaByte brand motherboard to do the procedure, connect the cd or dvd drive from which you'll be booting and only the TiVo drive and the TiVo drive to be.

Disconnect all other hard drives.

Boot from the jmfs cd.

If it finds one and only one TiVo drive and can find the other drive, then tell it to copy and that should be that.

Anything else and type

S

to shutdown and post back here what happened and we'll see about getting you into the root shell and invoking ddrescue directly.

Unless you've already got a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 handy, in which case we'll just use

dd_rescue

instead.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #1942
simon7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 45
Angry Completely stumped

I am trying to upgrade a Tivo Premiere. I have successfully done this process a couple years ago on a different Premiere, but am totally stumped now.

I am replacing the stock 320GB Drive, which is still fully functional (tested), with a 2TB WD20EURS purchased in December.

Using a Gigabyte motherboard:
- W7 boot drive attached to SATA-0
- Tivo 320 drive attached to SATA-2
- WD20EURS drive attached to SATA-4

Using IDE in BIOS, the process failed twice midway through the copy.

Using AHCI in BIOS, the copy, expand, supersize process completed with no apparent problems. I've successfully completed process multiple times, BUT the drive will not boot in Tivo (power cycles after either a few seconds or about 45 seconds). Never gets past initial light blue screen.

Before ever beginning process, I cycled the drive Intellipower settings from /D to /S 300 then back to /D (probably should have left well enough alone). After failures, have tried adjusting again to both /D and /S300. Setting seems to change fine, but drive still will not boot.

Tried redoing the process with Copy and Expand, but not Supersize -- still will not boot.

Tried redoing the process again with a Dell laptop. CD would not boot using IDE. Using AHCI, CD booted fine and process completed fine, using:
- W7 on SATA 0
- Tivo 320 on USB external 1
- WD20EURS on USB external 2
Copied and Expended fine, did not try Supersizing.
Everything appears to go fine, but drive WILL NOT BOOT in Tivo.

I am totally stumped. My only thoughts at this point are that maybe WD has recently made firmware changes to this drive that will not allow Tivo support, or unless WDIDLE3 is reporting incorrectly.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. The last time I did this, it was pretty easy. This time, I've spent the better part of a week with no success.

Last edited by simon7 : 01-05-2013 at 05:32 PM.
simon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #1943
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7 View Post
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. The last time I did this, it was pretty easy. This time, I've spent the better part of a week with no success.
Does the original drive still work?
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #1944
simon7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Does the original drive still work?
Yes, I pop the original drive in the Tivo and it boots no problem.

I might need to consolidate data on my system to free up another drive for testing. If I can get another drive to work using my current methodology, that would isolate the problem with the WD20EURS. However, the WD20EURS seems to work fine, and consolidating data will be a lot more work.

Last edited by simon7 : 01-05-2013 at 05:29 PM.
simon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #1945
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7 View Post
I am trying to upgrade a Tivo Premiere. I have successfully done this process a couple years ago on a different Premiere, but am totally stumped now.

I am replacing the stock 320GB Drive, which is still fully functional (tested), with a 2TB WD20EURS purchased in December.

Using a Gigabyte motherboard:
- W7 boot drive attached to SATA-0
- Tivo 320 drive attached to SATA-2
- WD20EURS drive attached to SATA-4

Using IDE in BIOS, the process failed twice midway through the copy.

Using AHCI in BIOS, the copy, expand, supersize process completed with no apparent problems. I've successfully completed process multiple times, BUT the drive will not boot in Tivo (power cycles after either 2 seconds or about 45 seconds). Never gets past initial light blue screen.

Before ever beginning process, I cycled the drive Intellipower settings from /D to /S 300 then back to /D (probably should have left well enough alone). After failures, have tried adjusting again to both /D and /S300. Setting seems to change fine, but drive still will not boot.

Tried redoing the process with Copy and Expand, but not Supersize -- still will not boot.

Tried redoing the process again with a Dell laptop. CD would not boot using IDE. Using AHCI, CD booted fine and process completed fine, using:
- W7 on SATA 0
- Tivo 320 on USB external 1
- WD20EURS on USB external 2
Copied and Expended fine, did not try Supersizing.
Everything appears to go fine, but drive WILL NOT BOOT in Tivo.

I am totally stumped. My only thoughts at this point are that maybe WD has recently made firmware changes to this drive that will not allow Tivo support, or unless WDIDLE3 is reporting incorrectly.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. The last time I did this, it was pretty easy. This time, I've spent the better part of a week with no success.

I'm sure it will be of little use and even less joy to you for me to point out that it is in fact "Intellipark", and not "Intellipower" which is manipulated by wdidle3.



Since there's a GigaByte board involved (does it have any IDE/PATA headers, or is it all SATA?), let us turn our suspicions there.


By all means, leave the Win7 boot hard drive attached to the first of the SATA ports to protect the other drives, but let's not assume that it has done so.


First verify that the original 320 still works in the TiVo, then take it back out of the TiVo.


Using either the jmfs cd "exited" to the command line or the MFS Live cd,


hdparm -N /dev/sda


should show you the Win7 drive

(although

hdparm -I /dev/sda

will show you the model number, size, and serial number, as well a bunch of other stuff)


and should show you 2 numbers, one the full size of the drive in sectors and the other the number of sectors the drive reports after the Host Protected Area set up by the GigaByte board is subtracted.


What's attached to SATA 1 and SATA 3?

Anyway, assuming SATA 2 is /dev/sdc and SATA 4 is /dev/sde,

hdparm -I /dev/sdc

to make sure the TiVo drive is the TiVo drive, then

hdparm -N /dev/sdc

to make sure it returns only one number and not two, then

hdparm -I /dev/sde

and

hdparm -N /dev/sde

to make sure the EURS is the EURS and has no HPA.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #1946
simon7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm sure it will be of little use and even less joy to you for me to point out that it is in fact "Intellipark", and not "Intellipower" which is manipulated by wdidle3.

Thanks, I will try your suggestions and report back. The original drive does still work in the Tivo. The frustrating part is that everything seems to work and the process completes just fine, but the new drive wont boot.
simon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #1947
simon7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
First verify that the original 320 still works in the TiVo, then take it back out of the TiVo.
YES

Quote:
Using either the jmfs cd "exited" to the command line or the MFS Live cd,
hdparm -N /dev/sda
should show you the Win7 drive
HPA is disabled

Quote:
What's attached to SATA 1 and SATA 3?
Nothing, empty ports

Quote:
hdparm -N /dev/sdc
to make sure it returns only one number and not two, then
HPA is disabled, Tivo source is fine

Quote:
hdparm -N /dev/sde
Hmm... seeing a problem here. There is a huge mismatch with the two sector counts, way more than HPA should effect (but maybe a contributing factor). Here is exactly what I am seeing:
"max sectors = 18446744073321613488/3907029168(18446744073321613488?), HPA setting seems invalid"
simon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #1948
simon7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 45
I am going to initialize in the target disk in W7, then try one more time...
simon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #1949
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7 View Post
YES


HPA is disabled


Nothing, empty ports


HPA is disabled, Tivo source is fine


Hmm... seeing a problem here. There is a huge mismatch with the two sector counts, way more than HPA should effect (but maybe a contributing factor). Here is exactly what I am seeing:
"max sectors = 18446744073321613488/3907029168(18446744073321613488?), HPA setting seems invalid"
So /dev/sde is absolutely confirmed to be the brand new never used for anything yet WD20EURS?

After I've done some looking at a recently acquired, haven't had time to put it into service yet EURS, we may need to try some secret ninja hdparm options*.

Or you may need to exercise the secret ninja RMA option.

Email me@coastalnet.com so that I have your email address 'cause my PM box here keeps filling up too fast.

And of course replace me with my user name here.

*They aren't really that secret if I found them on the web, but hdparm has the potential to turn hard drives into shiny silver paperweights in a quinstant if one makes the least misstep.


In the meantime, hook the EURS up to SATA 1 and SATA 3 and see if

hdparm -N returns the same info.

But under no circumstances have the Windows drive not connected to SATA 0.

It has to be there as a blood sacrifice to the HPA monster.

And include the model number of that GigaByte mobo in the email so I can look it up on the Google machine.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #1950
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7 View Post
I am going to initialize in the target disk in W7, then try one more time...
WHAT?!?

You don't format a hard drive that's going into a TiVo with anything having anything to do with Microsoft!!!!

And that HPA weirdness is far beyond anything MS could do to the drive.

(but perhaps not beyond what a malfunctioning SATA controller on a GigaByte board could do, or appear to have done)

Copying the original Premiere drive to the target drive with

dd

or

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

,which is what the jmfs cd uses,

is all the formatting/initializing/screwing around with needed to get something that'll boot the TiVo.

Of course using the second phase of jmfs, the expand part, is the reason to use jmfs, but you can copy, test in the TiVo, and then go back and expand later with jmfs.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |