TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #1831
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
If your TiVo Hard drive is bad jmfs may not see it and/or the copy may also turn out bad, you need a working TP hard drive to make a copy to the 2Tb drive you have using jmfs. If you boot up jmfs without any extra drives connected to your computer (except what inside the computer) jmfs should say after booting no TiVo drives found, if it does that jmfs is working as it should, if the problems you are seeing after connecting your TiVo drive happen (using jmfs) your TP drive is ng.
I'm handholding him by telephone. The MFS Live cd can't see any of his hard drives either, so I'm thinking there's a motherboard/Live Linux incompatibility that has nothing to do with whether his Premiere drive is hosed or not.

But he's got some cd that supposedly boots into a DOS environment that is seeing the drives, so I've got him booting the UBCD to run the WD diagnostic short test.

I think we may wind up having to have him do Kickstart 58.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #1832
ejonesss

does anyone know if any of the cloning programs on the mac like data rescue or disk utility would work by cloning the drive?

also in addition to the shows is there software on the drive that needs to be copied or will the box just redownload it from tivo?

i am on a mca and it would be easier for me to install a bigger drive in the tivo if i did not mind losing my shows and me being uneasy about booting linux or anything to make a non mac process work and if disk utility or data rescue could clone via making an iso image via the same method that the police would do in computer forensics?

thanks
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #1833
unitron

You can follow the further adventures of blackduck08 here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=495925

where we beg El Paso area Premiere owners for the loan of a hard drive.

EDIT:

Apparently someone with mystical powers far beyond those of mortal men has merged that thread into the second one I created on the subject, which has a better headline and can be found here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=495926

Last edited by unitron : 11-11-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #1834
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You can follow the further adventures of blackduck08 here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=495925

where we beg El Paso area Premiere owners for the loan of a hard drive.
Bad link??
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #1835
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Bad link??
Not when I posted, but it is now.

See edit above.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #1836
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackduck08 View Post
With Linux the fdisk l only recognizes the USB but bios sees all the drives. They are connected by Sata. Why doesn't Linux recognize my hard drive?
Why do you think Linux does not recognize your hard drives?

Send me a PM if you want me to help by phone, but I will insist you install a current version of Linux on some system.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #1837
lrhorer

Quote:
/sd*

meant SCSI drive, but since one of the "S"es stands for serial, I guess Serial-ATA drives, commonly known as SATA, get detected and labeled the same.
It's a little lower level than that. Back in the day, there were two different drivers for hard drives. One for IDE and one for SCSI-like drives. Udev (or in the old days a manual utility whose name eludes me at the moment) creates the device files based upon which driver controls the drive. A couple of years ago, all hard drive access was moved to a single kernel module, so nowadays, all hard drives are /dev/sd*.

Note on the TiVo, witch employs an older kernel, even SATA drives are /dev/hda or /dev/hdb.

Quote:
(partitions on a drive, which DOS/Windows would see as separate drives --C: drive, D: drive, etc.--would be given a number, so /dev/sda1 would be the first partion on the first of the serially connected drives, but that's for drives with a DOS type partition table and not the modified Apple Partition Map used on TiVo drives.
That's not quite true. If the kernel recognizes the partition table, the naming will be the same, regardless of the partition type. There are two ways the kernel can be made to recognize a foreign partition table. One is to compile support for the partition into the kernel. This is what was done with MFS_Live, and of course it is how it is done with OS/X. Some modern distros (gentoo, maybe?) also have Apple partition support compiled in. The other way is to employ a utility such as tivopart to force a re-scan of the drive via an ioctl. Running
Code:
tivopart r /dev/sdX
will cause the partitions to appear.

Quote:
fdisk doesn't speak Apple.)
True, but fdisk is only used to create or modify partitions. It's the kernel that matters.

Quote:
(It's not recommended to just flip the power switch on a Unix/Linux machine the way you could on an old DOS machine)
It's not recommended on a DOS machine, either, if a program other than the command interpreter is running. On any OS, including windows, it is best not to shut off a machine unless all the drives have been synced and unmounted. If the file systems are all journalled, then the impact may be minimal, but any data sitting in a buffer waiting to be written will be lost.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #1838
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Why do you think Linux does not recognize your hard drives?

Send me a PM if you want me to help by phone, but I will insist you install a current version of Linux on some system.
After he got the UBCD to boot on the same machine and start the DOS environment where the WD diagnostic program runs, it could see the drive enough to diagnose read failure.

I'd think attempting to install Linux on a machine on which it won't run would be a non-optimal approach to his problem at this point.

But if you have a 320GB Premiere drive he could borrow long enough to dd and live somewhere near El Paso I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #1839
ciper

When running the JMFS tools from the command line and running MFSadd it assumes the device to be /dev/Hdb even though the command line argument correctly used /dev/Sda

Is there anyway around this? When I run "/root/mfslayout.sh /dev/sda /dev/sdb" it works properly.

To see why I am asking please click here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9372955

Last edited by ciper : 11-11-2012 at 06:23 PM.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #1840
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
When running the JMFS tools from the command line and running MFSadd it assumes the device to be /dev/Hdb even though the command line argument correctly used /dev/Sda

Is there anyway around this? When I run "/root/mfslayout.sh /dev/sda /dev/sdb" it works properly.

To see why I am asking please click here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9372955
I'm confused as to why you'd be running jmfs and mfsadd on the same drive, and if it's for a Premiere why you wouldn't just use the jmfs cd v1.04 and follow the menu prompts.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #1841
ciper

When I boot the JMFS cd and try to use it through the prompts it says "the drive must be unmarried before it can be expanded" so I exited from the menu and ran it manually with command line arguments.

There is something hardcoded incorrectly in one of the scripts. The layout tool properly works with the command line arguments /dev/sda /dev/sdb BUT the space adding script assumes that you want /dev/sda /dev/Hdb
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #1842
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
When I boot the JMFS cd and try to use it through the prompts it says "the drive must be unmarried before it can be expanded" so I exited from the menu and ran it manually with command line arguments.

There is something hardcoded incorrectly in one of the scripts. The layout tool properly works with the command line arguments /dev/sda /dev/sdb BUT the space adding script assumes that you want /dev/sda /dev/Hdb
This is the Premiere jmfs thread.

You want the S3 HD jmfs thread.

I think jmfs expects one drive (the source) to have no more than 3 MFS pairs and the target to be unformatted.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #1843
ciper

Sorry, I didn't realize the threads were split. I'll go post in that thread instead.

Carry on
Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #1844
lessd

Quote:
I'm handholding him by telephone. The MFS Live cd can't see any of his hard drives either, so I'm thinking there's a motherboard/Live Linux incompatibility that has nothing to do with whether his Premiere drive is hosed or not.

But he's got some cd that supposedly boots into a DOS environment that is seeing the drives, so I've got him booting the UBCD to run the WD diagnostic short test.

I think we may wind up having to have him do Kickstart 58.
MFS live will not see any windows formatted drives unless you check a box on the screen, I have not used that program for a long time so I don't remember what the box said (something like see mounted drives)

Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #1845
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
MFS live will not see any windows formatted drives unless you check a box on the screen, I have not used that program for a long time so I don't remember what the box said (something like see mounted drives)
The MFS Live cd v1.4 is command line. It's the successor to MFS tools, and what I meant was that

fdisk -l

wasn't showing the drives, which ordinarily it would, regardless of format or lack thereof.

Since the drives showed up in the BIOS/CMOS screen, and since the WD diagnostic, running in a DOS environment, saw them, I figure it's a motherboard vs. Linux thing.

And the checkbox about mounted drives to which you refer is part of spike's other creation, WinMFS.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you haven't used either in a while.

I haven't gotten them confused yet, but when I'm advice slinging I can't remember the right name of some of the features half the time because I haven't used either program in a week or 3.

Saga continues here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=495926

and if you're anywhere near El Paso you might can help.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #1846
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Has anyone seen any problems using jmfs to copy a Premiere Elite drive? I have a stock working Elite and an Elite that is missing the hard drive. I plan to copy the working Elite's drive to a WD20EURS and install it in the other Elite. I have never done this with a drive of the same capacity, only upgrading to larger drives. Anything I need to watch out for before I try this?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #1847
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Has anyone seen any problems using jmfs to copy a Premiere Elite drive? I have a stock working Elite and an Elite that is missing the hard drive. I plan to copy the working Elite's drive to a WD20EURS and install it in the other Elite. I have never done this with a drive of the same capacity, only upgrading to larger drives. Anything I need to watch out for before I try this?
I don't know what model drive they put in the Elite (I assume it's also a 2TB?), but as long as its LBA number is the same or slightly smaller than that of the EURS, then

dd

or a variation/update of it, like

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

should be able to "Xerox" it just fine, and I'm pretty sure jmfs uses

ddrescue

for the copy portion of what it does, but if you're afraid it'll screw something up somehow, just use the MFS Live cd v1.4 and run

dd_rescue -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

(adjust drive letters according to your situation/disconnect your Windows drive just to be safe all around or use a separate non-GigaByte brand motherboard with just an optical to boot from and the target and source drives).

It will take several hours.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #1848
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Thanks. I just need to find the few hours where I can safely unhook the working Elite without upsetting anyone in the household.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #1849
lessd

Quote:
I have used JMFS on all TPs, both 2 and 4 tuners without problems, as said above the new drive MUST have the same or more sectors as the original TiVo drive. (and can't be over 2Tb)

Old 11-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #1850
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Will a regular Premiere 320gb drive work as a source for the 2TB in the Elite?
Two TiVo Minis

Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #1851
unitron

Quote:
Extremely unlikely.

They are different models.

You might be able to use the Premiere 320 and 500 GB drives interchangebly for an original Premiere or the new 500GB version, but that's probably about the extent of Series 4 compatibility.

You could always try and see what happens and at worst have to overwrite the 2TB a second time once you got hold of the proper drive to use as a source.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #1852
lessd

Quote:
No

Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #1853
psm27

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a premiere from 320G to 2TB. I burned the jmfs-live iso onto a dvd, and then booted from the dvd. Linux starts - I see 4 penguins, but then I get an error about it not being able to find JavaMFS. Tells me I can try copying JavaMFS, to C:\JavaMFS, etc.. I tried that, to no avail. This is a new system I'm using to do the upgrade, and I don't have an older system to try. The system is a win7 AMD64 based system. The DVD is ASUS.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions...

-Paul
psm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #1854
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm27 View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a premiere from 320G to 2TB. I burned the jmfs-live iso onto a dvd, and then booted from the dvd. Linux starts - I see 4 penguins, but then I get an error about it not being able to find JavaMFS. Tells me I can try copying JavaMFS, to C:\JavaMFS, etc.. I tried that, to no avail. This is a new system I'm using to do the upgrade, and I don't have an older system to try. The system is a win7 AMD64 based system. The DVD is ASUS.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions...

-Paul
Make sure it's jmfs v1.04

Try burning it to a cd-r instead. Can't hurt.

What brand is the PC motherboard involved?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #1855
psm27

The motherboard is a Gigabyte A75-D3H. I don't have a cd-r handy, but will get one and try it. I seem to remember somewhere in some thread, someone wondering if the dvd itself is the problem, so that makes sense to try.

The iso is: jmfs-rev104.iso, so I think its the right one. I also tried mfslive to see if I could at least get that to run on my system, and it would not run properly (it hung). So something is funky about my system...

Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #1856
unitron

Quote:
The motherboard is a Gigabyte A75-D3H. I don't have a cd-r handy, but will get one and try it. I seem to remember somewhere in some thread, someone wondering if the dvd itself is the problem, so that makes sense to try.

The iso is: jmfs-rev104.iso, so I think its the right one. I also tried mfslive to see if I could at least get that to run on my system, and it would not run properly (it hung). So something is funky about my system...

Thanks,
Paul
You will need to figure out which SATA port it considers the first one and make sure there's a drive attached to that so that it can put a host protected area on it and not any of your TiVo or TiVo to be drives.

If you connected an empty drive to that port when you got the board, then booted and proceeded to install Windows to that drive, then it should have written the HPA to it before you installed Windows, so that should have sated it's hunger to mess with drives.

Have you put the 320 drive back in the Premiere to make sure it still works?

Burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 to cd-r as well, just in case we need it for some tricky low-level first aid that has nothing to do with manipulating TiVo software.

The .iso is available at mfslive.org

Don't be confused by the numerical similarity, it and jmfs are two different things, and ordinarily you wouldn't be using MFS Live (or WinMFS) when upgrading a Premiere.

Also,

Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #1857
psm27

Quote:
You will need to figure out which SATA port it considers the first one and make sure there's a drive attached to that so that it can put a host protected area on it and not any of your TiVo or TiVo to be drives.

If you connected an empty drive to that port when you got the board, then booted and proceeded to install Windows to that drive, then it should have written the HPA to it before you installed Windows, so that should have sated it's hunger to mess with drives.

Have you put the 320 drive back in the Premiere to make sure it still works?

Burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 to cd-r as well, just in case we need it for some tricky low-level first aid that has nothing to do with manipulating TiVo software.

The .iso is available at mfslive.org

Don't be confused by the numerical similarity, it and jmfs are two different things, and ordinarily you wouldn't be using MFS Live (or WinMFS) when upgrading a Premiere.

Also,
The 320 still works.

Do I need to worry about which sata drive is first, if I'm connecting my 320 and 2T drives to unused sata ports in a working win7 system? The system has a number of unused sata ports, so my plan is just to connect the 320 and the 2T drives to two unused sata ports, and use mfscopy to copy everything to the 2T drive.

I do understand that mfslive and jfms are not the same. I just wanted to try another iso dvd, to see if the dvd really could be the problem. It didn't work either, so I'm more convinced that something is different booting off a dvd vs cd.

I'm headed out to buy some cd-r discs...

Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #1858
unitron

Quote:
The 320 still works.

Do I need to worry about which sata drive is first, if I'm connecting my 320 and 2T drives to unused sata ports in a working win7 system? The system has a number of unused sata ports, so my plan is just to connect the 320 and the 2T drives to two unused sata ports, and use mfscopy to copy everything to the 2T drive.

I do understand that mfslive and jfms are not the same. I just wanted to try another iso dvd, to see if the dvd really could be the problem. It didn't work either, so I'm more convinced that something is different booting off a dvd vs cd.

I'm headed out to buy some cd-r discs...

Thanks,
Paul
A GigaByte motherboard will attempt to put a host protected area on a hard drive that's one what it considers to the "first" hard drive port.

Originally that was the Primary IDE controller's Master drive, when the motherboards still had PATA/IDE headers.

It did this thinking that the "first" drive would be the one Windows is on, or would be installed on.

If the drive is a TiVo drive, it may well consider it to be blank if it understands PC/DOS/IBM/Windows style Master Boot Records, but not Apple Partition Map-type bootpages, and the TiVo drives use a version of the APM.

So, when using that brand motherboard, you have to be sure there's already a "sacrificial" drive connected to the "first" drive port. In your case, it's quite likely that your Windows drive is serving in that capacity and you're safe.

As long as you leave it connected.

If it doesn't find that HPA when it boots, it's going to look for some place to write one.

You need to boot the PC and go into the advanced BIOS settings and look for someplace where you get a choice of IDE mode or something else for your drives. Make a note of what it's set to so you can restore it to that and then change it to IDE mode to get the jmfs cd to work properly.

If Windows can't boot properly with that setting it doesn't matter because when you boot from your optical drive into jmfs you aren't booting into Windows and when you've finished with jmfs and disconnected the two TiVo drives, you can go into the BIOS and put it back the way it was before booting into Windows again.

But if you don't have enough SATA cables and were going to use the one connecting the Windows drive, don't, it needs to remain connected to keep the motherboard happy about that whole HPA thing.

So buy another cable if necessary.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #1859
psm27

Quote:
A GigaByte motherboard will attempt to put a host protected area on a hard drive that's one what it considers to the "first" hard drive port.

Originally that was the Primary IDE controller's Master drive, when the motherboards still had PATA/IDE headers.

It did this thinking that the "first" drive would be the one Windows is on, or would be installed on.

If the drive is a TiVo drive, it may well consider it to be blank if it understands PC/DOS/IBM/Windows style Master Boot Records, but not Apple Partition Map-type bootpages, and the TiVo drives use a version of the APM.

So, when using that brand motherboard, you have to be sure there's already a "sacrificial" drive connected to the "first" drive port. In your case, it's quite likely that your Windows drive is serving in that capacity and you're safe.

As long as you leave it connected.

If it doesn't find that HPA when it boots, it's going to look for some place to write one.

You need to boot the PC and go into the advanced BIOS settings and look for someplace where you get a choice of IDE mode or something else for your drives. Make a note of what it's set to so you can restore it to that and then change it to IDE mode to get the jmfs cd to work properly.

If Windows can't boot properly with that setting it doesn't matter because when you boot from your optical drive into jmfs you aren't booting into Windows and when you've finished with jmfs and disconnected the two TiVo drives, you can go into the BIOS and put it back the way it was before booting into Windows again.

But if you don't have enough SATA cables and were going to use the one connecting the Windows drive, don't, it needs to remain connected to keep the motherboard happy about that whole HPA thing.

So buy another cable if necessary.
Cool. That makes sense. I've got two extra cables, and plan to leave the rest of the system alone. Good to know about the HPA issue though.

I just tried with the CD-R, it behaves the exact same way as with DVD-R, which is to say it boots and then dies because it cannot find JavaMFS.

I then went into the bios advanced settings, but do not see anywhere where I can set the dvd drive to IDE mode - it appears to already *be* in IDE mode. Maybe I should post a picture of what my bios setting choices are - nothing jumps out at me as being a likely fix for this.

I tried setting the dvd drive into non-EFI mode, but that did not make any difference.

I'm thinking my easiest means to get this done might be to boot jmfs from a flash drive? Any issues with that?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #1860
unitron

Quote:

I'm thinking my easiest means to get this done might be to boot jmfs from a flash drive? Any issues with that?

Thanks,
Paul
Don't know, never tried it that way, although I seem to remember reading about others doing so. Start here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...46#post8144246

to see what comer has to say about that.