TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #1771
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
BTW as far as the destination drive, can it be a network drive or does it need to be physically connected to the machine.
Any valid path that Windows recognizes should be fine.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #1772
unitron

Quote:
Got it thanks. Will give it a try. Hopefully it will shrink it to something manageable. BTW as far as the destination drive, can it be a network drive or does it need to be physically connected to the machine.

Thanks,

Jim
Remember, what we're talking about here is just a file.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #1773
Gene S

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
Thanks for the info dwit. I wondered about that. I had also tried two OWC Mercury USB enclosures with the TiVo disk in one the the target disk in the other but I got the same two errors (no controller found and no JavaMFS found). I don't know if the OWC is problem or not. Would an incompatible controller cause the JavaMFS not to be found?
Did you ever get this to work? I'm having the same issue. MacBook Pro early 2011.

The controller error, I don't think is the hard drive enclosures, it's something with the utility disc. I get the error with my USB - SATA docks connected or not.

It's giving an error that is can't find JaveMFS, but it's there on the CD.

Does this utility load everything into memory, then never access the disc again? Can I boot from an external dvd drive, then swap it out? I only have 2 USB ports on the MacBook, and both will be needed for the Tivo copy.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #1774
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Any valid path that Windows recognizes should be fine.

I am getting a side by side error when trying to run it. Has something to do with Microsoft visual C redistributable mismatch. Tried to install the version it is missing but it is older (2005) and it will not install.

Jim
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #1775
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Remember, what we're talking about here is just a file.
I understand completely. It depends on how his program writes the file. Higher level access will see what the OS sees. Lower level access sees physical drives attached to the computer. You can access network drives but requires a lot more programming.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #1776
ggieseke

Quote:
I am getting a side by side error when trying to run it. Has something to do with Microsoft visual C redistributable mismatch. Tried to install the version it is missing but it is older (2005) and it will not install.
Try putting this dll in the same directory as TiVo2VHD.

http://www.4shared.com/zip/BqgiSwsf/msvcr80d.html

It's compiled in debug mode right now, which is probably what's causing the mismatch. If that doesn't work I will compile a release version, take it to work tomorrow, and test against a raw copy of Windows 7 to figure out what version of the VC2005 redist it needs.

Sorry about that.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #1777
jmbach

Quote:
Try putting this dll in the same directory as TiVo2VHD.

http://www.4shared.com/zip/BqgiSwsf/msvcr80d.html

It's compiled in debug mode right now, which is probably what's causing the mismatch. If that doesn't work I will compile a release version, take it to work tomorrow, and test against a raw copy of Windows 7 to figure out what version of the VC2005 redist it needs.

Sorry about that.
Did not work. Its okay, don't mind alpha/beta testing.

The event that is logged is "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Tivo\tivo2vhd.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",type="wi n32",version="8.0.50727.6195" could not be found"

BTW I am running Win 7 sp1 x64.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #1778
GreyhoundR

Re-expanding a larger drive possible?

Hi - I searched the forums and Google for some time and couldn't find an answer to this, hope I'm not overlooking the obvious. . .

When I got my Premiere I used JMFS live successfully to go from 320gb to 1.5tb. A year and change later I think this particular drive is getting sporadically flaky, and I would like just a bit more storage space anyway - so I bought a new WD EURS 2tb.

Using the 1.5tb as the source and the 2tb as the destination jmfs copied it over just fine. The problem was when it tried to expand, it could not. Sorry I didn't grab a screen capture or remember the exact wording, it just couldn't.

I tried using iPartition on OSX (which at least can see and manipulate the partitions on the drive) to expand the one huge MFS partition (there was one and only one that was 1tb+) to gobble up all the free space, but the Tivo immediately didn't like it.

I have an original Premiere drive that I can supersize to the 2tb, but I don't believe it was the drive that came with this specific unit. I put it in just to test it and it booted and eventually loaded up but said "call Tivo to activate. .. problem with this unit."

So - any advice would be welcomed.
- Is there something I can do when the 2tb just has the 1.5tb cloned on to it to expand it properly?
- Or should I redo it with my possibly mismatched original 320gb, cloned to the 2tb and expanded?
- Or I also have a .dmg compressed image of one of my 3 Premieres when it was new out of the box here on my Mac, but I actually don't know how I could put it back either on a 320gb drive or to a 2tb drive (nor do I know if it matched up with this exact machine).

Thanks!
GreyhoundR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #1779
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyhoundR View Post
Hi - I searched the forums and Google for some time and couldn't find an answer to this, hope I'm not overlooking the obvious. . .

When I got my Premiere I used JMFS live successfully to go from 320gb to 1.5tb. A year and change later I think this particular drive is getting sporadically flaky, and I would like just a bit more storage space anyway - so I bought a new WD EURS 2tb.

Using the 1.5tb as the source and the 2tb as the destination jmfs copied it over just fine. The problem was when it tried to expand, it could not. Sorry I didn't grab a screen capture or remember the exact wording, it just couldn't.

I tried using iPartition on OSX (which at least can see and manipulate the partitions on the drive) to expand the one huge MFS partition (there was one and only one that was 1tb+) to gobble up all the free space, but the Tivo immediately didn't like it.

I have an original Premiere drive that I can supersize to the 2tb, but I don't believe it was the drive that came with this specific unit. I put it in just to test it and it booted and eventually loaded up but said "call Tivo to activate. .. problem with this unit."

- Is there something I can do when the 2tb just has the 1.5tb cloned on to it to expand it properly?
- Or should I redo it with my possibly mismatched original 320gb, cloned to the 2tb and expanded?
- Or I also have a .dmg compressed image of one of my 3 Premieres when it was new out of the box here on my Mac, but I actually don't know how I could put it back either on a 320gb drive or to a 2tb drive (nor do I know if it matched up with this exact machine).

Thanks!
I've only used jmfs with an S3 HD, never been in the same room as a Premiere, much less had one to open up and experiment on.

That being said, as I understand it jmfs is designed to copy the original Premiere drive and then expand by adding a single MFS Media partition.

When you went from the 320 to the 1.5, it did that.

Now that you want to go from the 1.5 to the 2, it sees that it's already added a single MFS Media partition, so it probably thinks it's done.

So likely you're going to need to get a 320 image on that EURS and then let jmfs add that one extra partition.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #1780
lessd

Quote:
I've only used jmfs with an S3 HD, never been in the same room as a Premiere, much less had one to open up and experiment on.

That being said, as I understand it jmfs is designed to copy the original Premiere drive and then expand by adding a single MFS Media partition.

When you went from the 320 to the 1.5, it did that.

Now that you want to go from the 1.5 to the 2, it sees that it's already added a single MFS Media partition, so it probably thinks it's done.

So likely you're going to need to get a 320 image on that EURS and then let jmfs add that one extra partition.
That true but there will be the loss of all data and programs that was on the 1.5Tb drive, that most likely is why he wants to go from the 1.5Tb to the 2Tb drive directly.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #1781
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
That true but there will be the loss of all data and programs that was on the 1.5Tb drive, that most likely is why he wants to go from the 1.5Tb to the 2Tb drive directly.
Then I fear unless he learns to hex edit hard drives AND manages to reverse-engineer a lot about the TiVo partition and file structure, his choices are using only 1.5TB of the 2TB drive, or starting from scratch and getting all 2TB but losing all his shows and settings.

I vote for the first method so that the rest of us can benefit from what he learns, but he may actually have a life.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #1782
jmbach

Quote:

When I used another premiere drive image to fix my premiere I had what sounds like the same error. I had to do a 'clear and delete everything' to clear the error and make the unit usable again.

Jim
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #1783
retiredqwest

Quote:

First question did you hookup the 2TB and see if the TP even boots? If it boots how many hours HD does it report.

When you used JMFS to go from 320GB to 1.5TB did you run supersize then? If so.... when you did the copy from the 1.5TB to the 2TB it copied it supersized. Or at least it was.....

If the 2TB shows 287 or so hours HD, just run Supersize against the drive again and it should show 317 hours HD.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #1784
jmbach

One thought and one question. Question first. How large is the dmg that you did of your virgin premiere drive. Now the thought. You might want to PM the author of JMFS and see how expand works. This might give you insight how to expand your 1.5tb to 2tb. I have not found information yet. There is good info on MFS and WinMFS but not on JMFS. I will also say I have not tried hard to find that information as JMFS worked right out of the box so to speak for my purposes. I know that the other programs do not work on the premiere line but I do not know the exact details as to why.

If you are not concerned about loss of programs, then I would recommend cloning an original drive and expanding its from there.

Jim
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #1785
clark_kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene S View Post
Did you ever get this to work? I'm having the same issue. MacBook Pro early 2011.

The controller error, I don't think is the hard drive enclosures, it's something with the utility disc. I get the error with my USB - SATA docks connected or not.

It's giving an error that is can't find JaveMFS, but it's there on the CD.

Does this utility load everything into memory, then never access the disc again? Can I boot from an external dvd drive, then swap it out? I only have 2 USB ports on the MacBook, and both will be needed for the Tivo copy.
No, I never did get it to work, this time around.

I got a small drive Premier a while back and somehow managed to use my MacbookPro to upgrade to a 2TB drive. Unfortunately, the USB stick or CD I used and booted the Mac (that worked great) got lost in the shuffle and everything I tried with a new USB or CD did not work, even though all the CD's I burned booted on a PC. I don't know if a Mac update changed something or I did something different. The time it did work, I used 2 OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosures over USB to copy the original TiVo drive. After many frustrating hours (this time around), I finally gave up and bought a cheep PC ($75) off craigslist but I was a bit bummed not being able to do it with my Mac.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #1786
gkuyat

Quote:
I don't have a Premiere, but I have been screwing around with a virgin Series 2 drive and Windows 7 VHD files. Since they are inherently "sparse" files and most of a factory drive is all zeros I was able to create an 80GB virtual drive and connect it to a VMWare machine. Booting it with JMFS and running ddrescue resulted in a 1.7GB VHD file and zip took that down to about 1GB. Reversing the process gave me a bootable drive.

If anyone out there has a virgin Premiere drive and Windows 7, I wrote a program called TiVo2VHD that will create a virtual image of any drive (Disk2vhd from Microsoft only works with MS partitioned drives). If you want to try it send me a PM.

If it works, even a several GB "factory" image might be manageable and I could write the restore code and wrap it up into something like WinMFS that wouldn't depend on virtual machines. I would also want to process the VHD file manually instead of depending on Windows 7 APIs so that it would work on XP and handle bad sectors like ddrescue.

Any takers?
I have a refurbished Premier unit showing up on Thursday. I would hope they wipe the drive completely.
If you have the bits ready I could give it a whirl.
Sadly I too can not send PMs yet
gkuyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #1787
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkuyat View Post
I have a refurbished Premier unit showing up on Thursday. I would hope they wipe the drive completely.
What do you mean by wipe the drive completely?

Erase everything added by a previous user/owner?

Because you certainly want all of the TiVo software on the drive that's supposed to be there.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #1788
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkuyat View Post
PM with links & instructions sent.

If they replaced the drive or whatever method they use to image it writes zeroes to unused sectors I'm hoping for a good compression ratio, but I have no idea. Hopefully we'll find out soon.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #1789
JulienPDX

Hello. I followed this guide a little under a year ago and used a 1TB drive that was in a broken "MyBook" external drive. (the drive itself wasn't broken, just the connector and the housing--I yanked out the drive, discovered it was just a normal SATA drive and "re-purposed" it).

It worked beautifully btw. However, I purchased a 2TB drive last week at a ridiculously good price. Can I use this same process with the current drive (1TB) as the "source"? I was a moron and repurposed the original drive in the tivo so I no longer have the "original" so to speak...
JulienPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #1790
GreyhoundR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienPDX View Post
Hello. I followed this guide a little under a year ago and used a 1TB drive that was in a broken "MyBook" external drive. (the drive itself wasn't broken, just the connector and the housing--I yanked out the drive, discovered it was just a normal SATA drive and "re-purposed" it).

It worked beautifully btw. However, I purchased a 2TB drive last week at a ridiculously good price. Can I use this same process with the current drive (1TB) as the "source"? I was a moron and repurposed the original drive in the tivo so I no longer have the "original" so to speak...
This was more or less my situation (don't know which model Tivo you have though, mine was a Premiere which I think has a slightly different partition structure). Thank you for all the input guys but I did have to abandon my existing biggie sized 1.5tb and start with an original Premiere image I had, and clone and expand it to the new 2tb. Then, (as mentioned) do a "clear and erase all" settings or else all the features and transfer/download ability won't work so you are back at square one and have to do the guided setup again, etc.

It wasn't that big of a pain for me though because I had nothing really mission critical saved on that Tivo (programming wise) and I was able to txfr my Season Passes off to another of my Tivos online, then transfer them back later. Only thing left to do is call Comcast and have them pair my cablecard again so I can get the premium channels.

To speed up the process I repeatedly forced it to connect a few times (software update, get Tivo Service # and other misc info, get programming guide after cable provider programmed, etc.) rather than wait for its reboots. It all went pretty fast and now I have something like 321-329 HD hours, and the WD EURS 2tb drive is pretty cheap. I ran the wdidle on it as well as Ross Walker's "hdparm" suggested command on his website for setting some of the HD variables. It locked up once on its first or second boot up, and I had to unplug it and plug back in, but I've had that happen before and all has been smooth since. I actually had a small APC UPS laying around and connected it to this unit for some defense against future power gremlins.

But yes, according to my attempts and research I wasn't able to find an off the shelf ready to go solution to expand an already expanded Premiere drive.

hth

Last edited by GreyhoundR : 10-25-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added more info
GreyhoundR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #1791
jrtroo
User

Quote:
I was a moron and repurposed the original drive in the tivo so I no longer have the "original" so to speak...
Yikes. You disobeyed the tivo, having the initial drive as a backup is one of the best reasons to updgrade, even if it were to a drive marginally larger.

I'm thinking you need a friend with a premiere to get a copy of the software or to bite the bullet from a third party.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #1792
unitron

Quote:

What brand and model number 2TB, and how much did you pay?

New or used?

If new, from where?

If you have a Premiere, and already used jmfs to copy and expand onto the 1TB, you may not have violated the "no more than 16 partitions on a single drive" rule that TiVos observe (for reasons known only to TiVo, Inc.), but I don't know if jmfs will copy that 1TB and add another single MFS media partition or not.

I'm sure it'll do the copying part, but when it goes to fill the unused space it may see the extra partition it had already added to the 1TB (or to be more accurate it may see the copy of it it just made onto the 2TB, along with the rest of the partitions) and think it's already done the expansion thing.

You could try it and see what happens. It won't change anything on the 1TB drive as long as you're careful about telling it which is the source and which is the target drive, so the worst outcome is you spent a bunch of time on it and no joy.

But the rest of us will have learned something the easy way which you learned the hard way since you're going to be conscientious and report back to us.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #1793
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:

Julien, I have some stock Premiere drives on the shelf (as do others here, I'm sure). PM me (or reply here if you can't yet). if you want to arrange for me to dupe one of my drives to your new 2TB drive. Won't be a fast solution (with shipping it both ways), nor will it preserve your original shows, but you'll have your 300 hours of HD goodness eventually.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #1794
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Yikes. You disobeyed the tivo, having the initial drive as a backup is one of the best reasons to updgrade, even if it were to a drive marginally larger.

I'm thinking you need a friend with a premiere to get a copy of the software or to bite the bullet from a third party.
Well it's nothing a couple of trips to a certain blue big box store wouldn't solve depending on his sense of morality.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #1795
milo99

i've tried searching this thread and haven't found a post that has the same problem, so hopefully this isn't a rehash.

I just got my premiere and download jmfs (both versions) so as to upgrade to a 1TB drive. after burning the ISO to a CD and putting it in my drive to boot from, after power on, it starts to load 2 files/scripts(?) but then the screen goes black and the PC reboots. it just keeps doing this in an endless loop. It never gets to any prompts or step by step guide or anything. I don't see the linux penguins... It does it with both version .68 and 1.04. What gives? is there a bios setting i need to be careful of?

i have my CD/Bluray/DVD drive as the first in the boot priority, and since it tries to boot of the cd i don't think that's a problem. It does regardless of what HDDs i have hooked up. Tried it with no tivo drives and just my regular Windows drive, tried it with only my Tivo stock drive and 1tb drive (no windows drive), and there's no difference in behavior.

i have an Asus 990fx mobo with an AMD fx8120 cpu. Don't know what in the Bios i'd need to change, a quick perusal through the settings didn't make anything jump out at me. But i'm also not fluent in linux, so i don't know what would be needed for that to work right.

anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by milo99 : 11-01-2012 at 07:38 PM.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #1796
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
i've tried searching this thread and haven't found a post that has the same problem, so hopefully this isn't a rehash.

I just got my premiere and download jmfs (both versions) so as to upgrade to a 1TB drive. after burning the ISO to a CD and putting it in my drive to boot from, after power on, it starts to load 2 files/scripts(?) but then the screen goes black and the PC reboots. it just keeps doing this in an endless loop. It never gets to any prompts or step by step guide or anything. I don't see the linux penguins... It does it with both version .68 and 1.04. What gives? is there a bios setting i need to be careful of?

i have my CD/Bluray/DVD drive as the first in the boot priority, and since it tries to boot of the cd i don't think that's a problem. It does regardless of what HDDs i have hooked up. Tried it with no tivo drives and just my regular Windows drive, tried it with only my Tivo stock drive and 1tb drive (no windows drive), and there's no difference in behavior.

i have an Asus 990fx mobo with an AMD fx8120 cpu. Don't know what in the Bios i'd need to change, a quick perusal through the settings didn't make anything jump out at me. But i'm also not fluent in linux, so i don't know what would be needed for that to work right.

anybody have any ideas?
Download 1.04 again (just in case the first one was faulty), and burn it as a image again to a cd-r and see what happens with no drives connected at all except the optical the cd is in.

Also, look into the possibility of creating a bootable USB thumb drive with that image on it. I think I remember seeing comer talking about that as an alternative, either here or on the "other site".

There's some stuff in BIOSes nowadays, one of them has something to do with allowing more IRQs, and the other has something to do with whether drives are seen in old-fashioned IDE mode or some new thing, and you might have to temporarily switch the setting on that.

Of course first you'll have to figure out what it is that I'm talking about and can't clearly remember.

Maybe it has something to do with AHCI

Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #1797
milo99

Quote:
Download 1.04 again (just in case the first one was faulty), and burn it as a image again to a cd-r and see what happens with no drives connected at all except the optical the cd is in.

Also, look into the possibility of creating a bootable USB thumb drive with that image on it. I think I remember seeing comer talking about that as an alternative, either here or on the "other site".
tried multiple images, no dice.

tried disconnecting everything but my blu ray drive, no dice.

haven't figured out how to make a bootable USB and haven't explored that option yet, so that'll be next i think.
Quote:

There's some stuff in BIOSes nowadays, one of them has something to do with allowing more IRQs, and the other has something to do with whether drives are seen in old-fashioned IDE mode or some new thing, and you might have to temporarily switch the setting on that.

Of course first you'll have to figure out what it is that I'm talking about and can't clearly remember.

Maybe it has something to do with AHCI
i found some SATA settings that allow you to set the different sata ports to IDE, RAID, or ACHI. They were on ACHI, switched them to IDE. No dice.

i guess i'll look into figuring out the bootable USB drive unless somebody has other ideas...
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #1798
unitron

Quote:
tried multiple images, no dice.

tried disconnecting everything but my blu ray drive, no dice.

haven't figured out how to make a bootable USB and haven't explored that option yet, so that'll be next i think.

i found some SATA settings that allow you to set the different sata ports to IDE, RAID, or ACHI. They were on ACHI, switched them to IDE. No dice.

i guess i'll look into figuring out the bootable USB drive unless somebody has other ideas...
Different, perhaps older, motherboard.

As long as it isn't a GigaByte brand one.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #1799
milo99

Quote:
Different, perhaps older, motherboard.

As long as it isn't a GigaByte brand one.
well, guess what. after trying the bootable usb and having that completely fail, i gave up and went to my 6 yr old pc. i wanted to do it on the newer faster one, but since now i'm going to be just leaving it to run overnight, the ancient slow one won't matter.

i put the cd in the dvd player.. it has a CD only player/writer as well but it hasn't been hooked up. i got to the linux boot (yay!), but it gave me an error that it couldn't load JavaMFS, and something about using an IDE device, copying the files there and something about mounting it. wtf? well, that drive IS an old IDE drive. So then i thought, let me put it in the CD drive and hook that up. wouldn't you know it, it worked! wtf... have no idea why it wouldn't work on the DVD drive but it did on the cd drive. those are both IDE.

meantime, the HDD are both on the internal sata ports (the mobo recognizes them as IDE though) and it's in process of copying now. man... hopefully when i wake up tomorrow it'll be ready to expand and supersize, and hopefully those don't take that long. i want to put everything back together before leaving for work!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #1800
unitron

Quote:
well, guess what. after trying the bootable usb and having that completely fail, i gave up and went to my 6 yr old pc. i wanted to do it on the newer faster one, but since now i'm going to be just leaving it to run overnight, the ancient slow one won't matter.

i put the cd in the dvd player.. it has a CD only player/writer as well but it hasn't been hooked up. i got to the linux boot (yay!), but it gave me an error that it couldn't load JavaMFS, and something about using an IDE device, copying the files there and something about mounting it. wtf? well, that drive IS an old IDE drive. So then i thought, let me put it in the CD drive and hook that up. wouldn't you know it, it worked! wtf... have no idea why it wouldn't work on the DVD drive but it did on the cd drive. those are both IDE.

meantime, the HDD are both on the internal sata ports (the mobo recognizes them as IDE though) and it's in process of copying now. man... hopefully when i wake up tomorrow it'll be ready to expand and supersize, and hopefully those don't take that long. i want to put everything back together before leaving for work!

One should always keep a dedicated TiVo wrangling computer handy.