TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #1741
jmbach

Does anybody know if an image from a premiere xl4 will work on a premiere xl. The xl drive went bad and I don't have a backup of it. The version numbers of the software were the same. It would be going from a 2tb drive to another 2tb drive.
Thanks
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #1742
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Does anybody know if an image from a premiere xl4 will work on a premiere xl. The xl drive went bad and I don't have a backup of it. The version numbers of the software were the same. It would be going from a 2tb drive to another 2tb drive.
Thanks
I don't see any way that s/w designed for a 4-tuner, digital cable only TiVo will work in a TiVo with 2-tuner OTA and analog capability.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #1743
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I don't see any way that s/w designed for a 4-tuner, digital cable only TiVo will work in a TiVo with 2-tuner OTA and analog capability.
Since the version numbers were the same and some of the hardware overlaps I was not sure if the software was specifically tailored for each machine or if the software was more generic similar to OS for PC's where drivers for hardware are load as needed. If it is the latter, then it will work. Atleast that is the theory I have. I guess I can try and see what happens. Just did not want to go through the process of taking the XL4 apart if it was not going to work.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #1744
unitron

Quote:
Since the version numbers were the same and some of the hardware overlaps I was not sure if the software was specifically tailored for each machine or if the software was more generic similar to OS for PC's where drivers for hardware are load as needed. If it is the latter, then it will work. Atleast that is the theory I have. I guess I can try and see what happens. Just did not want to go through the process of taking the XL4 apart if it was not going to work.
If you know anybody else with a Premiere XL, maybe you could borrow the 1TB out of their machine to copy.

What happened to the orginal 1TB drive out of yours?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #1745
lpwcomp

Quote:
Only the first part of the version numbers are the same. The final 3 digits are different. Sometimes they will still work but in this case it is extremely unlikely. Too many differences.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #1746
lessd

Quote:
Only the first part of the version numbers are the same. The final 3 digits are different. Sometimes they will still work but in this case it is extremely unlikely. Too many differences.
When people tried to load the TiVo-HDXL software into a TiVo-HD it seemed to work at first but the guide data would not load after the first two loads, so in about a week or so you would start getting a message that the guide data was running out, a forced call home did not load the guide data, the only option was a full C&D all then, after a new setup, you would a full 14 days of guide data, this was not acceptable.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #1747
drcos
HD where available

Premiere XL success story:
Replace 1TB with 2GB EURS drive, copy was 6h 45min (for those who wanted to know how long - copy was SATA to SATA). Up to 318 HD hours.

Had to replace an S3 with 1.2G, as the CC slots went south. The M-card from Comcast seems to work much better than dancing with the two S-cards (...so far).
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #1748
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
Premiere XL success story:
Replace 1TB with 2GB EURS drive, copy was 6h 45min (for those who wanted to know how long - copy was SATA to SATA). Up to 318 HD hours.

Had to replace an S3 with 1.2G, as the CC slots went south. The M-card from Comcast seems to work much better than dancing with the two S-cards (...so far).
What did you do with that S3?

Did it still work okay on over the air and analog cable?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #1749
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
What did you do with that S3?
Sent you a PM...
Old 10-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #1750
vurbano

I've done this to a few premieres when the thread started. It's been awhile. My problem is that the pc has changed a lot since then. It's got a boot drive and 5- 2TB drives in it. Still the corsair case has an external sata dock built in that I will put the target 2tb av-gp drive in, I guess I will go inside the case and swap one of the 2tb drives for the stock premiere 4 drive. My problem is how to tell them all apart. I really dont want to unhook or remove them all. Does the software list the drives and show model numbers? I forget. Has anyone posted any screenshots? I bought the drive using the. Newegg 99 dollar sale and plan to wait for Black Friday to pickup the premiere 4 on the cheap.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #1751
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
I've done this to a few premieres when the thread started. It's been awhile. My problem is that the pc has changed a lot since then. It's got a boot drive and 5- 2TB drives in it. Still the corsair case has an external sata dock built in that I will put the target 2tb av-gp drive in, I guess I will go inside the case and swap one of the 2tb drives for the stock premiere 4 drive. My problem is how to tell them all apart. I really dont want to unhook or remove them all. Does the software list the drives and show model numbers? I forget. Has anyone posted any screenshots? I bought the drive using the. Newegg 99 dollar sale and plan to wait for Black Friday to pickup the premiere 4 on the cheap.
Go back and read comer's first post in this thread where he talks about using

hdparm

for drive identification

If the lowercase

-i

option doesn't give you sufficient info

the uppercase

-I

option will even give you the drive's serial number, so there'll be no doubt which drive is which

/dev/sd?

where ? is whichever letter of the alphabet, beginning with "a", has been assigned to the drive by the OS that loaded into memory when you booted with the jmfs cd v1.04

Old 10-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #1752
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Go back and read comer's first post in this thread where he talks about using

hdparm

for drive identification

If the lowercase

-i

option doesn't give you sufficient info

the uppercase

-I

option will even give you the drive's serial number, so there'll be no doubt which drive is which

/dev/sd?

where ? is whichever letter of the alphabet, beginning with "a", has been assigned to the drive by the OS that loaded into memory when you booted with the jmfs cd v1.04
Thanks for the help. A little off topic but I've been thinking about adding an esata port to give me 2 external connections for situations like this. Any recommendations of cards that work under this OS. Newegg is full of recommendations as long as you are in a windows environment.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #1753
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
Thanks for the help. A little off topic but I've been thinking about adding an esata port to give me 2 external connections for situations like this. Any recommendations of cards that work under this OS. Newegg is full of recommendations as long as you are in a windows environment.
Beyond my "expertise", such as it may be.

Perhaps you should start a "Linux-compatible eSATA cards?" thread in the Help Center or Coffee House threads to maximize eyeballs.

And Google a lot.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #1754
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you know anybody else with a Premiere XL, maybe you could borrow the 1TB out of their machine to copy.

What happened to the orginal 1TB drive out of yours?
Died. Unable to retrieve SMART data. WD's program declares dead R.I.P.

Will need to look for an image for the drive I have for it. Going to try a Seagate Pipline HD 2tb drive. Model ST2000vm003. It is an AF drive that shows 512 to the DVR.

So if anybody knows where to find an image, I would appreciate a PM.

Of course from trying to read the whole thread, it sounds like right now it is only able to be copied from drive to drive and not from an image to a drive. Too bad there is not a way to load just enough on to the drive to for a kickstart download of the software from the server. Hmmm. For now I will just wait.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #1755
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yeah, for now the S4 software can't be backed up and saved as an image like the earlier models.
You need a working hard drive to make a copy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #1756
vurbano

Usb3.0 doesn't work? Usb2.0 ports seem fine but not 3.0
Old 10-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #1757
mdurkin

Another Seagate drive...

I have a Virgin Media Tivo (UK), which is apparently a premiere. It comes with a 500G seagate. I have been trying to upgrade to a WD 2TB drive, managed the copyDisk.sh fine, but mfsLayout.sh and mfsadd.sh return with:
MfsAdd exception: No root MFS found.
The auto run detection also failed to find a tivo disk.
I am definitely using the right drive devices when running the commands (checked with fdisk -l).
Has anyone come across this before? Is there a way round it?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt
mdurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #1758
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurkin View Post
Another Seagate drive...

I have a Virgin Media Tivo (UK), which is apparently a premiere. It comes with a 500G seagate. I have been trying to upgrade to a WD 2TB drive, managed the copyDisk.sh fine, but mfsLayout.sh and mfsadd.sh return with:
MfsAdd exception: No root MFS found.
The auto run detection also failed to find a tivo disk.
I am definitely using the right drive devices when running the commands (checked with fdisk -l).
Has anyone come across this before? Is there a way round it?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt
Since it is a Premiere, you should probably try JMFS.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #1759
mdurkin

Quote:
Since it is a Premiere, you should probably try JMFS.
I think I am - I'm using the jmfs-rev104 boot CD, but the guide.sh script fails, so I then tried the scripts manually.

Is there something else I should be doing, using some other tools perhaps? I'm just following the guide at the start of this thread...
Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #1760
lessd

Quote:
I think I am - I'm using the jmfs-rev104 boot CD, but the guide.sh script fails, so I then tried the scripts manually.

Is there something else I should be doing, using some other tools perhaps? I'm just following the guide at the start of this thread...
Thanks,
Matt
The UK TiVo version may be a bit different so that jmfs-rev104 boot CD does not recognize the drive as a US TiVo drive, only a guess on my part.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #1761
mdurkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The UK TiVo version may be a bit different so that jmfs-rev104 boot CD does not recognize the drive as a US TiVo drive, only a guess on my part.
I think something is different - but this method used to work ok for the UK TIVO (premiere). It looks like something has changed. I think Seagate drives are new as well.

I'll keep a watch on the forum in case someone else comes across this and finds a solution.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #1762
jmbach

Quote:

Thanks,
Matt
You may have already did this, but I would redownload the ISO and check the MD5 to make sure nothing screwed up in the download and remake the disk.

Jim
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #1763
jmbach

Well I solved my software problem by buying a working XL off of ebay and copying the drive. I am using a Seagate Pipline HD 2tb drive, Model ST2000vm003 and it is working flawlessly sofar. Will have to see how they hold up. Seagate now only offers a 1 year warranty on the drives since they moved manufacturing from Japan after the tsunami to China. Wonder if they are worried about quality?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #1764
jmbach

On another note, has anybody tried to back up the 1tb image with dd and piping it through gzip to see how big the resultant image is? It might be manageable.

Jim
Old 10-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #1765
mdurkin

Quote:
You may have already did this, but I would redownload the ISO and check the MD5 to make sure nothing screwed up in the download and remake the disk.

Jim
Hi Jim,
The ISO is fine - the environment boots and all the commands work, so it looks like something has changed under the hood on these tivos. I did actually download a couple of times and tried with both a bootable USB and a CDROM.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #1766
lpwcomp

Quote:
Hi Jim,
The ISO is fine - the environment boots and all the commands work, so it looks like something has changed under the hood on these tivos. I did actually download a couple of times and tried with both a bootable USB and a CDROM.
The new drive isn't by any chance AF is it?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #1767
ggieseke

Quote:
On another note, has anybody tried to back up the 1tb image with dd and piping it through gzip to see how big the resultant image is? It might be manageable.
I don't have a Premiere, but I have been screwing around with a virgin Series 2 drive and Windows 7 VHD files. Since they are inherently "sparse" files and most of a factory drive is all zeros I was able to create an 80GB virtual drive and connect it to a VMWare machine. Booting it with JMFS and running ddrescue resulted in a 1.7GB VHD file and zip took that down to about 1GB. Reversing the process gave me a bootable drive.

If anyone out there has a virgin Premiere drive and Windows 7, I wrote a program called TiVo2VHD that will create a virtual image of any drive (Disk2vhd from Microsoft only works with MS partitioned drives). If you want to try it send me a PM.

If it works, even a several GB "factory" image might be manageable and I could write the restore code and wrap it up into something like WinMFS that wouldn't depend on virtual machines. I would also want to process the VHD file manually instead of depending on Windows 7 APIs so that it would work on XP and handle bad sectors like ddrescue.

Any takers?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #1768
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I don't have a Premiere, but I have been screwing around with a virgin Series 2 drive and Windows 7 VHD files. Since they are inherently "sparse" files and most of a factory drive is all zeros I was able to create an 80GB virtual drive and connect it to a VMWare machine. Booting it with JMFS and running ddrescue resulted in a 1.7GB VHD file and zip took that down to about 1GB. Reversing the process gave me a bootable drive.

If anyone out there has a virgin Premiere drive and Windows 7, I wrote a program called TiVo2VHD that will create a virtual image of any drive (Disk2vhd from Microsoft only works with MS partitioned drives). If you want to try it send me a PM.

If it works, even a several GB "factory" image might be manageable and I could write the restore code and wrap it up into something like WinMFS that wouldn't depend on virtual machines. I would also want to process the VHD file manually instead of depending on Windows 7 APIs so that it would work on XP and handle bad sectors like ddrescue.

Any takers?
I don't have a virgin drive but I do have a drive that I did a clear and delete everything on. I could try it on that. I would PM you except that I don't have ten posts yet.

Jim
Old 10-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #1769
ggieseke

Quote:
I don't have a virgin drive but I do have a drive that I did a clear and delete everything on. I could try it on that. I would PM you except that I don't have ten posts yet.

Jim
PM sent. It will be interesting to see if C&DE actually zeroes the unused sectors (it takes long enough).
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #1770
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent. It will be interesting to see if C&DE actually zeroes the unused sectors (it takes long enough).
Got it thanks. Will give it a try. Hopefully it will shrink it to something manageable. BTW as far as the destination drive, can it be a network drive or does it need to be physically connected to the machine.

Thanks,

Jim