TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #1681
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by guammm17 View Post
Can you use this method to downgrade drive size (if you delete all the material off the original premiere drive)? I would like to try to put an SSD in mine but cant afford anything above 256 GB, and I don't really care that much about space, as I have it networked to a computer with over 2TB in the other room. Just trying to cut down on noise in the bedroom, it drives my lady nuts. I assume this wont work, but figured I'd ask since I couldn't seem to find any info on it elsewhere.
Any TiVo prior to the Premieres could only have a drive as small as the smallest drive used in that model.

For example, you could take the 80GB drive out of a TCD540080 and use an image from a TCD540040 and put it on a 40GB drive and put it in that TiVo and it would work.

The Premiere, however, and the rest of the S4s, have a slightly different file system and the software that can make truncated images from S1, S2, and S3 drives can't do so, so the only thing you can do is do a byte for byte copy using something like

dd

or

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

either onto a drive of the same size or do the copy onto a larger drive and use comer's jmfs cd to expand by adding a single MFS partition.

So, the short answer is, if your Premiere came with a 320GB drive, it has to have one at least that big.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #1682
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by guammm17 View Post
Can you use this method to downgrade drive size (if you delete all the material off the original premiere drive)? I would like to try to put an SSD in mine but cant afford anything above 256 GB, and I don't really care that much about space, as I have it networked to a computer with over 2TB in the other room. Just trying to cut down on noise in the bedroom, it drives my lady nuts. I assume this wont work, but figured I'd ask since I couldn't seem to find any info on it elsewhere.
Don't even think of using a SSD in a TiVo as it is writing all the time so a SSD will have a short life and the TiVo software does not have the TRIM software that Windows 7 has, the fan may be making the noise your hearing, try stopping the fan for a few seconds (by putting a paper clip into the fan blades) and see if the noise goes down, the fan can be replaced by a good quality quiet fan for not much $$

Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #1683
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Don't even think of using a SSD in a TiVo as it is writing all the time so a SSD will have a short life and the TiVo software does not have the TRIM software that Windows 7 has, the fan may be making the noise your hearing, try stopping the fan for a few seconds (by putting a paper clip into the fan blades) and see if the noise goes down, the fan can be replaced by a good quality quiet fan for not much $$
Just to be on the safe side

DO NOT USE A PAPER CLIP OR SOMETHING ELSE MADE OF METAL

to momentarily stop the fan.

A Q-Tip, the non-bristle end of a skinny wooden handled paintbrush, take a plastic fork and break off all of the tines except one, etc.

The chances of something conductive causing a problem are low, but why risk it when safer ways to do it are available?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #1684
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo View Post
Yes, do as Unitron instructs.

320GB ---> intermediate 1TB drive via winMFS with swap carefully adjusted to avoid creating an extraneous AppleFree partition. Let winMFS expand to fill the 1TB drive.

You should end up with a 1TB that uses its entire capacity but does not have an AppleFree partition. If you do see an AppleFree partition on the 1TB, redo the 320GB ---> 1TB via winMFS but adjust the swap size to "use up" what would become the extraneous AppleFree partition.

Take the 1TB drive and copy / expand via JMFS to the 2 TB drive.

Unitron's 2 step process ensures that you keep all the created partitions below the 1TB limit in the TiVo disk drivers. This differs from the process in the first post of this thread which goes from 320 straight to 2GB. That creates a whopping 1.7 TB partition that may initially appear to work, but likely will become unstable once the system writes beyond 1TB in the big partition. Crashes, reboots, or possibly just overwriting of older shows despite them appearing to remain in My Shows listing.

Unitron's 2 step method might save a lot of grief. I think it is worth doing it his way unless you somehow have specific knowledge that TiVo has rewritten its disk drivers to properly address partitions greater than 1TB. Nobody on the web seems to be reporting such an updated was made by TiVo.
I want to upgrade a stock 75hr Premiere and put a 2TB drive in it. Are the instructions in the first post of this thread accurate or not? If not, is it just a 2 step process, go from stock drive to 1TB using the instructions from 1st post? Then upgrade 1TB to 2TB, using the same instructions in 1st post?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #1685
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
I want to upgrade a stock 75hr Premiere and put a 2TB drive in it. Are the instructions in the first post of this thread accurate or not? If not, is it just a 2 step process, go from stock drive to 1TB using the instructions from 1st post? Then upgrade 1TB to 2TB, using the same instructions in 1st post?
I'm not sure if the post you quote is from this thread or another, but my 1TB "middleman" on the way to 2TB approach is for Series 3 HD TiVos, the TCD652160, and maybe someday for the original S3.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is not for the Premiere or any other Series 4 TiVo.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The S4s have something different about the software, and WinMFS will only screw them up.

As far as I know, the only way to go to a bigger drive in a Premiere is to use comer's jmfs cd v1.04 to copy the original drive to the bigger one and then add a single MFS partition to use the rest of the space.

WinMFS and the MFS Live cd can only add space by adding MFS pairs, and that won't work in this case.

If you want to do it yourself, jmfs is the only way I know of for a Premiere.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #1686
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm not sure if the post you quote is from this thread or another, but my 1TB "middleman" on the way to 2TB approach is for Series 3 HD TiVos, the TCD652160, and maybe someday for the original S3.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is not for the Premiere or any other Series 4 TiVo.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The S4s have something different about the software, and WinMFS will only screw them up.

As far as I know, the only way to go to a bigger drive in a Premiere is to use comer's jmfs cd v1.04 to copy the original drive to the bigger one and then add a single MFS partition to use the rest of the space.

WinMFS and the MFS Live cd can only add space by adding MFS pairs, and that won't work in this case.

If you want to do it yourself, jmfs is the only way I know of for a Premiere.
The post I read was #1650 on page 55. I did see a reference to an S3 in your post, previous to that one, but since this is the Premiere upgrade thread, I thought it might be relevant to S4 also. 57 pages of posts is a lot to scan and make sure you're reading/skipping the relevant posts.

So just follow instructions for using comer's jmfs in the first post?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #1687
unitron

Quote:
The post I read was #1650 on page 55. I did see a reference to an S3 in your post, previous to that one, but since this is the Premiere upgrade thread, I thought it might be relevant to S4 also. 57 pages of posts is a lot to scan and make sure you're reading/skipping the relevant posts.

So just follow instructions for using comer's jmfs in the first post?
You missed the part where someone who I guess didn't know any better posted here in the Premiere thread about their Australian versions of the S3 HD, which apparently use a 320GB drive instead of a 160.

We should have been nastier and forced them to meet us over on the S3 thread.

Yeah, the instructions in the first post should work fine, just don't do it on a GigaByte brand motherboard without coming back and consulting me first, and be absolutely certain to know which drive is which so that you don't copy the first 320GB of an empty drive to your original TiVo drive.

You should have the original drive set up the way you want it, right zip code, right cable lineup, cable cards paired, season passes, favorites, thumb ratings, fixed IP address whether wired or wireless, etc.

Then after using jmfs to copy that drive to a bigger one and add another partiton, put the original away somewhere safe.

You may need it as a troubleshooting tool someday.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #1688
scole250

I upgraded to a 2TB using a WD20EARX. Could not get the WD Diagnostics version 5.04f from boot CD to recognize the drive. It said it saw a WD drive but the drive was too old to work with this version of software. I did run wdidle3 and disabled the timer, but I've been reading other forums where folks suggest setting the timer to 300 seconds. Not sure if that's a preferred setting for non-Tivo use. Should the timer be disabled or set to higher value like 5 minutes?

jmfs copy/expand/supersize process worked fine, Tivo running fine. 1 down 2 to go.

TWC's whole house DVRs getting kicked to the curb very soon.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #1689
unitron

Quote:
I upgraded to a 2TB using a WD20EARX. Could not get the WD Diagnostics version 5.04f from boot CD to recognize the drive. It said it saw a WD drive but the drive was too old to work with this version of software. I did run wdidle3 and disabled the timer, but I've been reading other forums where folks suggest setting the timer to 300 seconds. Not sure if that's a preferred setting for non-Tivo use. Should the timer be disabled or set to higher value like 5 minutes?

jmfs copy/expand/supersize process worked fine, Tivo running fine. 1 down 2 to go.

TWC's whole house DVRs getting kicked to the curb very soon.
Greetings from a bit to your southeast.

Too bad TWC itself can't be kicked to the curb, or actually kicked from the curb, where it has a monopoly on running cable.

If wdidle3 will let you disable Intellipark, great, if not, setting the time period ridiculously long, like 60 seconds times 5, will accomplish the same thing where a TiVo is concerned.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #1690
Finalrinse

Both drives not recognized at first

I disconnected my Windows drives in my PC. I hooked up my TiVo drive and my new drive, both SATA. The JMSF software would not recognize both my drives at the same time, even though they both showed up in the BIOS and individually they are recognized. I then decided to swap the order of the SATA ports and finally I found the right combination and all went smooth. Is there a specific SATA port order that the software needs to see?
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #1691
billbillw

Great deal at newegg on the latest 2TB AV-GP right now. Its only $85 with free shipping right now (use a coupon code that is listed). That's the lowest price I've seen on that model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

Price is good through 8/25.

My Premiere will finally be getting an upgrade.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #1692
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
Great deal at newegg on the latest 2TB AV-GP right now. Its only $85 with free shipping right now (use a coupon code that is listed). That's the lowest price I've seen on that model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

Already Out Of Stock

Old 08-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #1693
billbillw

Quote:
Already Out Of Stock
Not surprised. They dropped the price $16 and gave free shipping (vs $7 before). Hopefully this is a sign that HD supply (and prices) have recovered from the massive shortages that were brought on by flooding in Thailand last year.

Last edited by billbillw : 08-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #1694
Finalrinse

Quote:
I upgraded to a 2TB using a WD20EARX. Could not get the WD Diagnostics version 5.04f from boot CD to recognize the drive. It said it saw a WD drive but the drive was too old to work with this version of software.
I had the exact same problem with a WD20EURS. So, I downloaded the DOS version 5.19 for floppy drive and that worked! Go figure?

Last edited by Finalrinse : 08-24-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #1695
PapioNE

Quote:

Hi. Just joined and looking for information on upgrading my tivo premiere series4. Bought a WD10EARX and used jmfs to clone it, ran WDidle3 and installed in my tivo and it was just stuck on Welcome Starting Up screen. Powered on/off multiple times but nothing worked. Did you do anything different with your WD20EARX to get it to work? Thanks for any info.
PapioNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #1696
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapioNE View Post
Hi. Just joined and looking for information on upgrading my tivo premiere series4. Bought a WD10EARX and used jmfs to clone it, ran WDidle3 and installed in my tivo and it was just stuck on Welcome Starting Up screen. Powered on/off multiple times but nothing worked. Did you do anything different with your WD20EARX to get it to work? Thanks for any info.
Double check all your cables.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #1697
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapioNE View Post
Not sure that it would make a difference, but I ran wdidle3 first, before running jmfs. I did forget to connect the cable though and had to open it back up. Ditto on double check it.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #1698
clark_kent

MacBook Pro headache

From reading a lot of pages (but not all) I see some same problems, but I couldn't find any answers... after burning 5 coasters, I thought I'd ask for help:

I have an early 2010 MacBook Pro; running OSX 10.6.8; used Disk Utility to Convert the .iso to .dmg; and I'm using a dual disk SATA USB doc from:

http://Thermaltakeusa.com/Product.as...8&ID=1895#Tab4

I finally have a disk that boots, BUT getting 2 error messages:

1. No controller found

2. Fatal error occurred - Java MFS not found

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #1699
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
From reading a lot of pages (but not all) I see some same problems, but I couldn't find any answers... after burning 5 coasters, I thought I'd ask for help:

I have an early 2010 MacBook Pro; running OSX 10.6.8; used Disk Utility to Convert the .iso to .dmg; and I'm using a dual disk SATA USB doc from:

http://Thermaltakeusa.com/Product.as...8&ID=1895#Tab4

I finally have a disk that boots, BUT getting 2 error messages:

1. No controller found

2. Fatal error occurred - Java MFS not found

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
You cannot use a dual dock enclouse with dual drives to perform the process. You can only use the dual dock in a single drive configuration for the process. Only one drive per dock.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #1700
clark_kent

MacBook Pro headache

Thanks for the info dwit. I wondered about that. I had also tried two OWC Mercury USB enclosures with the TiVo disk in one the the target disk in the other but I got the same two errors (no controller found and no JavaMFS found). I don't know if the OWC is problem or not. Would an incompatible controller cause the JavaMFS not to be found?
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #1701
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
Thanks for the info dwit. I wondered about that. I had also tried two OWC Mercury USB enclosures with the TiVo disk in one the the target disk in the other but I got the same two errors (no controller found and no JavaMFS found). I don't know if the OWC is problem or not. Would an incompatible controller cause the JavaMFS not to be found?
Sorry. I had meant to add to my first reply that even with the appropriate docks/enclosures, there may be some Apple/Mac issues going on there also. I have no experience there.

I am sure about that dual dock issue though, as it has been addressed several times here throughout the forums.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #1702
bandguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

GOOD deal!!!
bandguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #1703
dboff01

Another happy customer. Just completed a Premiere upgrade to a 2TB WD20EURS and 318 HD hour goodness.

One wrinkle is my PC video card died during the copy stage, shutting down the system before completing. Fortunately, the crash didn't affect the original drive contents, which I was able to put back in the Tivo until my new video card arrived.

Thanks for the utility.

Last edited by dboff01 : 09-26-2012 at 07:30 PM.
dboff01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #1704
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 View Post
Another happy customer. Just completed a Premiere upgrade to 2TB and 318 HD hour goodness.

One wrinkle is my PC video card died during the copy stage, shutting down the system before completing. Fortunately, the crash didn't affect the original drive contents, which I was able to put back in the Tivo until my new video card arrived.

Thanks for the utility.
I don't want to come across as a hard a** but I think as we already have 35 pages to this Thread we should only post when someone has new information that may be useful to others on this Thread, just having success is quite common now, and many posts say that, and do thank JMFS for making this possible, more posting of success and thanks just clutter up the useful stuff and make it harder to find.
This is just my opinion.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #1705
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I don't want to come across as a hard a** but I think as we already have 35 pages to this Thread we should only post when someone has new information that may be useful to others on this Thread, just having success is quite common now, and many posts say that, and do thank JMFS for making this possible, more posting of success and thanks just clutter up the useful stuff and make it harder to find.
This is just my opinion.
I think jmfs author comer has a donate button on his website.

Seems like that would be an excellent place to express one's gratitude for his work and how it helped one, and he's more likely to notice it there than here as well.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #1706
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I think jmfs author comer has a donate button on his website.
There's also one on the first post of this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #1707
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

I'm going from a stock TiVo drive of 330gb to a new 2TB drive. I'm running the tools in this thread and its currently in the copy stage. My question is, am I done after it copies? Or do I then run "Expand" and after that runs, do I then finish by running "Super size"?

Thanks!!!!
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #1708
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
I'm going from a stock TiVo drive of 330gb to a new 2TB drive. I'm running the tools in this thread and its currently in the copy stage. My question is, am I done after it copies?
No.

Quote:
Or do I then run "Expand" and after that runs, do I then finish by running "Super size"?
Yes.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #1709
unitron

Quote:
I'm going from a stock TiVo drive of 330gb to a new 2TB drive. I'm running the tools in this thread and its currently in the copy stage. My question is, am I done after it copies? Or do I then run "Expand" and after that runs, do I then finish by running "Super size"?

Thanks!!!!
I assume you're using comer's jmfs v1.04, in which case after it finishes "Xeroxing" the 320 on to the 2TB, it should ask you if you want to expand.

What brand and model of 2TB are you using and from where did you buy it?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #1710
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
What brand and model of 2TB are you using and from where did you buy it?
Yes I am using jmfs. The drive is a WD20eurs. Brand new from eBay for $98 with shipping.

How long do the finally two steps of expand and supersize take?

Also the destination drive is hooked up via USB and the TiVo drive is hooked up via sata cable. How long roughly will the copy part take?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by BlackBetty : 09-22-2012 at 12:15 PM.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote