TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #1441
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by afamousguy View Post
HELP, PLEASE!

I tried wading though all 40+ pages of this thread but didn't see anyone with the problem I have been experiencing while trying to upgrade to a 1 TB Western Digital drive. When I boot to the TiVO Premiere JMFS CD (rev 104) it seems to load normally but always says that no TiVo drives are connected. The original and target drives show up in the BIOS normally. I've tried this on 3 different computers on all SATA setup modes available (native, legacy, etc) and get the same message.

Anyone seen this problem before or have any advice on how to get it to see my drive?
Have to start simple here....do you have the drive properly connected, both data AND power?

PS: What famous guy are you? (Feel free to just PM me the answer once you get a few posts...I won't tell anyone, I promise.)
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #1442
Gregor

Lost the 1 TB external Tivo drive on my Premiere, so I'm upgrading the internal drive to 2 TB to get the storage back.

Strange thing is the Live CD does not work on my Mac Mini but works fine on my MacBook Pro.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #1443
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
Strange thing is the Live CD does not work on my Mac Mini but works fine on my MacBook Pro.
Is it a PowerPC based G5 Mac Mini? The boot disc will only work on Intel.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #1444
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
Is it a PowerPC based G5 Mac Mini? The boot disc will only work on Intel.
No, Intel based Mini. I'll post the error message when I get done with the CD - it's running the upgrade in my MBP.

It looks it will take about 36 hours to complete the copy - about 30% done after running for 10 hours.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #1445
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot

It was about $130 from Amazon and was double-boxed (box in a box) with both boxes having some packing material to cushion the drive.

BTW the Amazon price fell about $5-10 in the past week or so, let's hope that trend continues.
I didnt realize the EARX drives were good for the TiVos I recently sold five new ones on eBay for $115 to $119. I would have tried to sell them here otherwise and saved the 9% fee. I sold around fifty hard drives in the span of a week getting rid of all my old S3 and TiVoHD stock hard drives as well as other new and old drives I had sitting around while the prices are still relatively high.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #1446
Gregor

OK here's what's on screen:

picture of 2 penguins
pci 0000:00:03.4: BAR 0: can't allocate resource
i804Z.c: No controller found
Running Linux Live scripts <http://www.linux-live.org> [*** Fatal error occurred - Java MFS not found.
You are maybe using an unsuppported boot device(eg. SCSI or old PCMCIA).
Workaround: Copy the directory JavaMFS from your boot device to an IDE/SATA
disk, eg. /mnt/hda1/JavaMFS or c:\JavaMFS. Then try to boot again.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #1447
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
OK here's what's on screen:

picture of 2 penguins
pci 0000:00:03.4: BAR 0: can't allocate resource
i804Z.c: No controller found
Running Linux Live scripts <http://www.linux-live.org> [*** Fatal error occurred - Java MFS not found.
You are maybe using an unsuppported boot device(eg. SCSI or old PCMCIA).
Workaround: Copy the directory JavaMFS from your boot device to an IDE/SATA
disk, eg. /mnt/hda1/JavaMFS or c:\JavaMFS. Then try to boot again.
I think you get one penguin if you've got a single core CPU and 2 if a dual core, although I might be confusing it with the Parted Magic Live cd.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #1448
Gregor

Could be dual core, it's a 2010 vintage Mac Mini.

I tried copying the JavaMFS directory to the root of the HD as it suggested and it still throws the error.

I'll have to check, but I believe there's a java development environment installed on the MBP, that may be the difference.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #1449
Phasers

I just purchased one of these on eBay. Emailed the seller, they said they use a WD20EARX with intellipark disabled and settings tuned for quiet operations.

Figured at $169.90 shipped for one preconfigured/preimaged vs $129.99 at amazon/newegg for a new WD20EARX, it was worth the $40 not to deal with it myself (new Premiere, no recordings to transfer).

Will update on how it is working when I recieve it later this week.
Phasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #1450
JulienPDX77

I upgraded my own drive using this process a while ago; but the drive i moved to was WD10EADS; I disabled intellipark but did not use wdiddle to "quiet" it...if it is noisy; i dont even notice
JulienPDX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #1451
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
I just purchased one of these on eBay. Emailed the seller, they said they use a WD20EARX with intellipark disabled and settings tuned for quiet operations.

Figured at $169.90 shipped for one preconfigured/preimaged vs $129.99 at amazon/newegg for a new WD20EARX, it was worth the $40 not to deal with it myself (new Premiere, no recordings to transfer).

Will update on how it is working when I recieve it later this week.
Looks like DVR_Dude has some more (besides weaknees) competition.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #1452
Phasers

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Looks like DVR_Dude has some more (besides weaknees) competition.
Yeah, guess so.

Got drive today in mail, installed straight out of box, and Premiere is showing 317 hrs of HD capacity. Was indeed the EARX green drive, as promised.

Only thing is (and maybe it is my imagination), it seems to boot up slower than the factory drive in premiere and my premiere XL. Also, it is much quiter (again, maybe my imagination) than the factory drive.

I'm gonna wait and see if it speeds up any after the 20.2 update. I am currently on 14.4. I'll let it sit overnight to try and update, as I forced the connection 3 times and restarted it once already, and it is still on 14.4.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #1453
Phasers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
Yeah, guess so.

Got drive today in mail, installed straight out of box, and Premiere is showing 317 hrs of HD capacity. Was indeed the EARX green drive, as promised.

Only thing is (and maybe it is my imagination), it seems to boot up slower than the factory drive in premiere and my premiere XL. Also, it is much quiter (again, maybe my imagination) than the factory drive.

I'm gonna wait and see if it speeds up any after the 20.2 update. I am currently on 14.4. I'll let it sit overnight to try and update, as I forced the connection 3 times and restarted it once already, and it is still on 14.4.
20.2 installed overnight. Surprisingly I have 318 hrs (+1 hr) of HD capacity now

Haven't rebooted the box, but I am very happy with the upgrade. I have been transferring a bunch of shows from my full premiere XL, and it has been taking about ~15 min for each hr of recorded show I have been transferring (~6GB/1 hr HD show).

If you guys feel the $40 is worth not having to mess with the upgrade yourself on a new TiVo, then I highly recommend you go my route.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #1454
jwcatlanta

Premiere second upgrade

I have a Premiere which was upgraded from 320GB to 2TB WD EARS.
6 months ago I backed down to 500Gb for troubleshooting reasons. That upgrade was done from the 320 drive and the few programs were moved off and then back on after the downgrade. Now the drive is 67% full and having problems with new recording requests because of "not enough room". All rebooting problems seem to be gone.

I want to upgrade to the 2TB again and tried using JMFS from the 500GB to the 2TB. The copy and expand go fine but when the drive is put back in the unit it boots up to the message that the external drive is not attached. Telling it to remove the external results in the drive going back to the 500GB. I found one reference to this problem. He had a 1TB going bad. He solved it by using OS X to rewrite the partition tables (something about the original upgrade adding the 17th partition). I do not want to attempt such a thing.

I have the original 320Gb and know I can upgrade from it to the 2TB by transferring all the programs off and then back after the upgrade to maintain them. A time consuming job.

Is there any way to upgrade from the already upgraded drive and copy over the programs like the first upgrade does? Am I missing something or are we stuck with only one upgrade per Premiere while maintaining the already recorded programs? Thanks for any help. Jerry
jwcatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #1455
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcatlanta View Post
I have a Premiere which was upgraded from 320GB to 2TB WD EARS.
6 months ago I backed down to 500Gb for troubleshooting reasons. That upgrade was done from the 320 drive and the few programs were moved off and then back on after the downgrade. Now the drive is 67% full and having problems with new recording requests because of "not enough room". All rebooting problems seem to be gone.

I want to upgrade to the 2TB again and tried using JMFS from the 500GB to the 2TB. The copy and expand go fine but when the drive is put back in the unit it boots up to the message that the external drive is not attached. Telling it to remove the external results in the drive going back to the 500GB. I found one reference to this problem. He had a 1TB going bad. He solved it by using OS X to rewrite the partition tables (something about the original upgrade adding the 17th partition). I do not want to attempt such a thing.

I have the original 320Gb and know I can upgrade from it to the 2TB by transferring all the programs off and then back after the upgrade to maintain them. A time consuming job.

Is there any way to upgrade from the already upgraded drive and copy over the programs like the first upgrade does? Am I missing something or are we stuck with only one upgrade per Premiere while maintaining the already recorded programs? Thanks for any help. Jerry
Upgrading a TiVo drive usually means copying the first 13 partitions (including the 2 MFS pairs, partitions 10 and 11, and 12 and 13) to the larger drive and then expanding by adding another MFS pair. If you do this with say the original 320 and a 500, and the software that does it leaves a little bit of unused space at the end of the drive after adding the 3rd MFS pair, that space gets interpreted by the Apple Partition Map, and stuff that can read APMs, as an Apple Free partition. That's right, unpartitioned space is a partition. Now you know why Apple's slogan is "think different"

If you then go to use, say, comer's jmfs to upgrade that 500 to a 2TB, it'll first copy everything on the 500, but it's not smart enough to realise that an Apple Free partition is not a partition that needs to be preserved, but should be considered the beginning of the space into which to expand, so you wind up with the Apple Free partition on the 2TB as the 16th partition (the MFS pair that were added back on the 500 were the 14th and 15th), so when jmfs adds the single MFS media partition which it is designed to add, that partition becomes the 17th partition.

TiVos seem to have a 16 partition per drive limit, so when you boot up the 2TB in the TiVo, it thinks the 17th partition is a screwed up external drive, and wants to divorce it, and when that's done, you're back to a 500GB image on the 2TB drive.

If you originally upgraded from the 320 straight to the 2TB, which program or programs did you use?

When you went from the 320 to the 500, which program or programs did you use?

There may be a sneaky way out of this that involves a larger swap partition size and using dd_rescue to overwrite partitions with partitions, but I've got to find out more about the difference between the S4 partition layout and the S2-S3 layout first, and I've got to try an experiment with jmfs.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #1456
jwcatlanta

Quote:
Upgrading a TiVo drive usually means copying the first 13 partitions (including the 2 MFS pairs, partitions 10 and 11, and 12 and 13) to the larger drive and then expanding by adding another MFS pair. If you do this with say the original 320 and a 500, and the software that does it leaves a little bit of unused space at the end of the drive after adding the 3rd MFS pair, that space gets interpreted by the Apple Partition Map, and stuff that can read APMs, as an Apple Free partition. That's right, unpartitioned space is a partition. Now you know why Apple's slogan is "think different"

If you then go to use, say, comer's jmfs to upgrade that 500 to a 2TB, it'll first copy everything on the 500, but it's not smart enough to realise that an Apple Free partition is not a partition that needs to be preserved, but should be considered the beginning of the space into which to expand, so you wind up with the Apple Free partition on the 2TB as the 16th partition (the MFS pair that were added back on the 500 were the 14th and 15th), so when jmfs adds the single MFS media partition which it is designed to add, that partition becomes the 17th partition.

TiVos seem to have a 16 partition per drive limit, so when you boot up the 2TB in the TiVo, it thinks the 17th partition is a screwed up external drive, and wants to divorce it, and when that's done, you're back to a 500GB image on the 2TB drive.

If you originally upgraded from the 320 straight to the 2TB, which program or programs did you use?

When you went from the 320 to the 500, which program or programs did you use?

There may be a sneaky way out of this that involves a larger swap partition size and using dd_rescue to overwrite partitions with partitions, but I've got to find out more about the difference between the S4 partition layout and the S2-S3 layout first, and I've got to try an experiment with jmfs.
I used JMFS Rev 104 in each case. It works great. I saw references to the 17th sector problem but no fixes except re-writing the partition table using OS X. Hasn't there been more people with the problem?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #1457
arrarrgee

Could someone tell me where i can find an image for Tivo Premiere pls..
arrarrgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #1458
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrarrgee View Post
Could someone tell me where i can find an image for Tivo Premiere pls..
At this time the only image for a Premiere drive is another Premiere drive.

Exactly what's wrong with your Premiere?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #1459
arrarrgee

Quote:
At this time the only image for a Premiere drive is another Premiere drive.

Exactly what's wrong with your Premiere?
Thx for the reply..My Premiere went in to a relentless reboot mode...Took a freinds premiere drive and copied on to mine...works fine now...but thought of keeping an image just as a backup.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #1460
unitron

Quote:
Thx for the reply..My Premiere went in to a relentless reboot mode...Took a freinds premiere drive and copied on to mine...works fine now...but thought of keeping an image just as a backup.
You could get a second 320GB drive and dd, or ddrescue, or dd_rescue onto that, but you could probably get a 1TB for not much more and use jmfs to copy and expand onto the rest of it, and put the 320 on the shelf for safekeeping.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #1461
arrarrgee

Quote:
You could get a second 320GB drive and dd, or ddrescue, or dd_rescue onto that, but you could probably get a 1TB for not much more and use jmfs to copy and expand onto the rest of it, and put the 320 on the shelf for safekeeping.
Yah probably will do that...Thx a lot
Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #1462
unitron

Quote:
Yah probably will do that...Thx a lot
Or if you really want to throw money around, you could put a 2TB in that Premiere as long as you're going to open it up anyway.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #1463
arrarrgee

Quote:
Or if you really want to throw money around, you could put a 2TB in that Premiere as long as you're going to open it up anyway.
yah...thats the plan..but just cudnt bring myself to pay 120+ USD for the 2 TB drive that was 60+ a few months ago.:=)..waiting for the hard drive prices to come down a bit before i pull the trigger..
Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #1464
JimR1998

My Weekend Nighmare is Over (with lessons learned)

The nightmare being the wife and kids asking "is it fixed yet?" all weekend long!!

I'll detail my experiences here as they may be helpful to someone else. Fast forward to lessons learned at the bottom if you're in a hurry.

First, I'm using a Thinkpad T410 laptop and a USB to IDE/SATA cable kit to do the upgrade. I'm sure it would have been an easy 2-4 hour process if I had a desktop. But instead it took me 3 days and lots of hair pulling!

Two weeks ago I upgraded one Tivo with a WD GP-RE4 1.5TB "enterprise" drive that was inside a WD external USB enclosure. It's a NOISY drive and there are no bad sectors. This process was easy, although at the time I was unable to run the wdidle program (I'm not even sure it's necessary on that model). I attached the Tivo drive to the USB->SATA kit and used the WD USB external drive as the target. I let it copy overnight, but I think 320GB took about 5 hours.

I tried _everything_ but couldn't figure out a way to run wdidle since the DOS program does not detect the drive when it's hooked up via USB.

I ordered two HP SimpleSave 2TB drives from Staples which were rumored (correctly) to have WD20EARS drives inside. $92 each delivered to my door, I didn't want to pass it up. While those were on the way I knew I needed to figure out something for the wdidle issue.

My laptop has an ESATA port, so... easy enough... I would get an esata-to-sata cable. Tried that on the GP-RE4 and it didn't even spin up. Turns out my ESATA port is NON-POWERED. Returned that cable and bought a $3 esata-to-sata data only cable and got power from the USB->SATA kit. It spun up but even windows would not detect the drive. Ugh! Turns out I had to upgrade my T410 BIOS and change the SATA setting to ACPI. But ACPI was incompatible (or so it appears) with the main SSD drive inside, so I had to take that out. Luckily it's a 2-minute removal. Finally wdidle detected
the drive!

Wait, it gets worse. HP SimpleSave drives arrive and I do the same process: Tivo as source drive on the USB->SATA kit, SimpleSave USB as the target. jfms worked fine, did the above hookup for wdidle and that went fine, put the drive in the Tivo and... flashing lights, no boot! !!!

Now I'm thinking advanced format is the culprit, but I research that and Premiere is fine with it. So I format the drive, but got suspicious when some Virtual CD / HP Launcher thing kept popping up in Windows. No problem, I think, I'll just use the USB controller board from the WD enclosure (which came with the GP-RE4). I fooled around with that for a while but couldn't get the drive detected. Turns out that controller is not compatible with advanced format (maybe I could have aligned it but did something else instead).

Ultimately, I ended up with my 320GB original Tivo as the source on ESATA which jmfs detected fine. But I was at a loss since I only had one power cable from the USB->SATA kit which was needed on the ESATA side. I wound up using the Tivo for power-- unplugged the main board connector which leaves the drive powered. Then I just plugged in the red data cable from the Tivo board into the USB->SATA kit. This was my option of last resort at 10pm! I had a really good feeling about it and sure enough it worked!!!

LESSONS LEARNED

Laptop users must have an ESATA port and a recent BIOS to get wdidle to work. It will NOT work through USB, no way no how, even if the USB "looks like" SATA and even if the USB drive is detected in DOS. Also, try to disconnect your main drive when you do this. If not, it probably needs to be
non-Western Digital.

The HP SimpleSave USB enclosure cannot be the target when doing the upgrade. WD Essentials USB drive worked fine for me as the target. jmfs may not be able to get the drive name of the original Tivo drive, but it should be able to get the drive name of the new drive (WD20EARS). Also, watch out if the bytes reported are different from what you expect. The SimpleSave thing consumed about 700MB so I had fewer than 200000000000 bytes which was odd to me.

Here are the parts I used:

Sabrent USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable for 2.5-Inch/ 3.5-Inch / 5.25-Inch Drive with Power Adapter (tigerdirect, got it for $10 a few years ago)

SATA Serial ATA to eSATA External Shielded Cable 20" ($3 shipped on ebay)

With those two parts, the upgrade is easy and proven successful on a Thinkpad T400 series laptop.
JimR1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #1465
jwcatlanta

Upgrade drive size a second time

Has anyone found a way to upgrade the drive size on Premiere the second time, because of running out of space again or a failing drive? I upgraded from 320GB to 500GB using JMFS rev 104 the first time and would like to upgrade again from the 500GB to a 2TB while keeping the recorded programs. I tried to use JMFS again but it did not work because of the extra partition as explained in other posts. Has anyone figured out a way to get around this problem short of modifying the partition tables with a hex editor. My wife's Premiere is running out of space so she isn't happy and we all know what that means. Thanks. Jerry
Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #1466
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcatlanta View Post
Has anyone found a way to upgrade the drive size on Premiere the second time, because of running out of space again or a failing drive? I upgraded from 320GB to 500GB using JMFS rev 104 the first time and would like to upgrade again from the 500GB to a 2TB while keeping the recorded programs. I tried to use JMFS again but it did not work because of the extra partition as explained in other posts. Has anyone figured out a way to get around this problem short of modifying the partition tables with a hex editor. My wife's Premiere is running out of space so she isn't happy and we all know what that means. Thanks. Jerry
Can you use

pdisk -l

(that's a lowercase L)

on the MFS Live cd v1.4 to provide us with a partition map of the expanded 500GB drive?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #1467
porkenstein
Geek

The below text was mentioned in a previous post. Can someone explain what that means?

The wdidle3 command reported a default idle setting of 8 seconds, which I reset to 300 seconds.
porkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #1468
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkenstein View Post
The below text was mentioned in a previous post. Can someone explain what that means?

The wdidle3 command reported a default idle setting of 8 seconds, which I reset to 300 seconds.
How detailed an explanation do you need?

the command

wdidle3/D

should disable Intellipark or set it really high, like 300 seconds, which it long enough for keeping it from screwing up a soft re-boot of the TiVo, which is what this is all about.

Or do you need Intellipark and why it's a problem explained?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #1469
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR1998 View Post
Also, watch out if the bytes reported are different from what you expect. The SimpleSave thing consumed about 700MB so I had fewer than 200000000000 bytes which was odd to me.
Booting from the MFS Live cd v1.4, you can check for the presence of stuff like that with

hdparm -N /dev/sd?

where sd? is the drive you want to check on, it should show up as sda or sdb or sdc, etc., just use SHIFT+PAGE UP to go back up through the boot messages to see which name got assigned to the drive and use that one with the command.

It should show you a number followed by a slash followed by another number and then something about HPA (host protected area).

If the numbers don't match, you've got one.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #1470
porkenstein
Geek

Quote:
How detailed an explanation do you need?

the command

wdidle3/D

should disable Intellipark or set it really high, like 300 seconds, which it long enough for keeping it from screwing up a soft re-boot of the TiVo, which is what this is all about.

Or do you need Intellipark and why it's a problem explained?
I think I understand. I just needed to know as I will be installing a 2gb western digital drive tomorrow in my premiere. I guess I need to do that but still a little confused on what benifit. Can you explain further.
porkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote