Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #1411
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I wouldn't assume that at all. If somebody tried it and it didn't work, they probably would have posted that. Since there's been no word, I would guess that nobody here has tried it.
This.

I figured before you didn't want a guess but here's mine: It will work fine.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #1412
JulienPDX77

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Run wdidle3 to make sure Intellipark is disabled on it, then get jmfs 1.04 and go to town, and put the 320 on the shelf for safekeeping.
Thank you thank you! Namely, I was just fishing to see if a WD10EAVS is "good enough" to run as my TiVo drive.

I know the process now, JMFS, clone, AAM and Wdiddle and we're golden.

Now for the 64K question..

If Linux is the primary OS on my PC, couldn't i just do a clone from within the working environment? I ask because I'd rather not be without BOTH my TV and my PC at the same time. Though I guess I could just go outside for 3 hours lol
JulienPDX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #1413
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienPDX77 View Post
Thank you thank you! Namely, I was just fishing to see if a WD10EAVS is "good enough" to run as my TiVo drive.

I know the process now, JMFS, clone, AAM and Wdiddle and we're golden.

If Linux is the primary OS on my PC, couldn't i just do a clone from within the working environment? I ask because I'd rather not be without BOTH my TV and my PC at the same time. Though I guess I could just go outside for 3 hours lol
jmfs comes on a bootable cd iso, as does wdidle3, and WD's AAM utility probably does as well, as does the WD diagnostic software.

Us that to run the long test on that drive first, then run wdidle3 and the AAM thingie, then run jmfs.

You'll have to venture into the unfamiliarity of watching TV live for a while.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #1414
Soapm

Quote:

You can make the mfs tools work in your Linux environment yes. So then you'd be running each command manually (mfscopy, mfs add etc...). You also need tivopart so that your linux kernel will recognition the partition table.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #1415
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso
I wouldn't assume that at all. If somebody tried it and it didn't work, they probably would have posted that. Since there's been no word, I would guess that nobody here has tried it.
This.

I figured before you didn't want a guess but here's mine: It will work fine.
Thanks guys, I'll roll the dice and report back once I have attempted the upgrade. BTW I'll probably use a WD20EARX since that's currently the cheapest 2TB WD Caviar Green drive AFAICT.

Last edited by ShinySteelRobot : 01-18-2012 at 03:23 AM.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #1416
porkenstein
Geek

Thanks so much for the procedure. I have done several series 2 a few years ago but this is so simple even my kids could do it. Great job
porkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #1417
JulienPDX77

Success!!

thank you comer and everyone else in here; I did this procedure last night (I'm not yet on 20.2; still on 14.9) and it worked flawlessly. I was able to cannibalize a 1TB "MyBook" from WD I bought last year and just never used because of how slow it was (USB, blech) and turn it into my primary TiVo drive and now i have ~ 180 hours of HD recording.

I'd like to donate to the guy who created JMFS but the donate link doesn't work; does someone have updated info for him?

Thanks everyone!

Oh Also, I followed the guide on the pyTiVo wiki and I now can view all of the 1080p BD rips I have on my Hackintosh in another room (The "holy grail" for me; as I've been looking for a way to finally rid my condo of all physical media) I now have a truly digital house; no more books, no more magazines, no more CD's and now no more DVDs and BluRays.
JulienPDX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #1418
ronsch

Quote:
Oh Also, I followed the guide on the pyTiVo wiki and I now can view all of the 1080p BD rips I have on my Hackintosh in another room (The "holy grail" for me; as I've been looking for a way to finally rid my condo of all physical media) I now have a truly digital house; no more books, no more magazines, no more CD's and now no more DVDs and BluRays.
What do you do when the power goes out?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #1419
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
What do you do when the power goes out?
You know how there is always a surge in childbirth 9 months after a power outage...
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #1420
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn View Post
You know how there is always a surge in childbirth 9 months after a power outage...
You saying he plants cabbage? I'll have to check into this digital cabbage patch that works when the powers out???
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #1421
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
Thanks guys, I'll roll the dice and report back once I have attempted the upgrade. BTW I'll probably use a WD20EARX since that's currently the cheapest 2TB WD Caviar Green drive AFAICT.
Quick update... The UPS guy dropped off my WD20EARX and I got started upgrading my TiVo Premiere XL (which is 100% full). The original drive already has the 20.2 software on it.

On the label it says the drive was manufactured on June 26, 2011.

The wdidle3 command reported a default idle setting of 8 seconds, which I reset to 300 seconds.

These new EARX drives do not support AAM according to HDDScan 3.3. Even so, I tried the IBM/Hitachi tool and was unable to change its acoustic management setting.

I'm using SATA connectors to copy the original 1TB Premiere XL drive over to the new drive. The copy process has been running for 7 hours and is just under half finished. Looks like it'll take roughly 14.5 total hours.

Hopefully the drive won't be too loud when I put it into the TiVo. It sucks that AAM is no longer supported, that seems like a retrograde step on WD's part.

EDIT:
RESULTS / FOLLOW-UP: Ok the copy finished this morning while I was sleeping. After a quick expand and supersize I installed the EARX into the TiVo Premiere XL. It appears everything works correctly, all my programs transferred, and performance is great! The Premiere XL now reports 318 hours (currently 49% full). Soft restart works fine. Thankfully the drive is actually surprisingly quiet, about the same as the OEM drive, AFAICT.

Overall I'm super happy with this upgrade... Donation forthcoming to Comer later today!

Last edited by ShinySteelRobot : 01-27-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #1422
unitron

Quote:
Quick update... The UPS guy dropped off my WD20EARX and I got started upgrading my TiVo Premiere XL (which is 100% full).

On the label it says the drive was manufactured on June 26, 2011.

The wdidle3 command reported a default idle setting of 8 seconds, which I reset to 300 seconds.

These new EARX drives do not support AAM according to HDDScan 3.3. Even so, I tried the IBM/Hitachi tool and was unable to change its acoustic management setting.

I'm using SATA connectors to copy the original 1GB Premiere XL drive over to the new drive. The original drive already has the 20.2 software on it. The copy process has been running for 7 hours and is just under half finished. Looks like it'll take roughly 14.5 total hours.

Hopefully the drive won't be too loud when I put it into the TiVo. It sucks that AAM is no longer supported, that seems like a retrograde step on WD's part.
How bad did that EARX set you back before shipping and where'd you buy it?

How well packed for shipping was it?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #1423
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
How bad did that EARX set you back before shipping and where'd you buy it?

How well packed for shipping was it?
It was about $130 from Amazon and was double-boxed (box in a box) with both boxes having some packing material to cushion the drive.

BTW the Amazon price fell about $5-10 in the past week or so, let's hope that trend continues.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #1424
ShinySteelRobot

I edited my post above with the results of the TiVo Premiere XL upgrade. In a word: Awesome!

Thanks to everyone in the forum who helped out!

EDIT:
Donation sent to Comer via PayPal. Well deserved; the upgrade was totally painless.

Last edited by ShinySteelRobot : 01-27-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #1425
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Is Comer still around? Last Activity: 08-25-2011 08:11 AM

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/member.php?u=53006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #1426
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Is Comer still around? Last Activity: 08-25-2011 08:11 AM
I got a thank-you note via email when I sent a PayPal donation, so he may not be active in the forums but he's definitely around somewhere.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #1427
yessirrom

I just purchased a new premier. I have two HDs that I upgraded a few years ago using a dock. I want to use one of the 1TB drives from the old HD and put it in the Premier. What steps should I take to prepare the old HD drive for use in the Premier?

Does this upgrade require a new drive?
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #1428
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessirrom View Post
I just purchased a new premier. I have two HDs that I upgraded a few years ago using a dock. I want to use one of the 1TB drives from the old HD and put it in the Premier. What steps should I take to prepare the old HD drive for use in the Premier?

It doesn't require a new drive. Also, the 1TB drive will be completely overwritten by the JMFS tools (it does a byte-by-byte transfer using a Unix tool called dd I believe). You shouldn't need to do anything special. If your 1TB drive is a WD Green drive, then you may want to check its idle time with wdidle3, and reset it to 300 sec if it's currently 8 sec.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #1429
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessirrom View Post

Do not boot into Windows or try WinMFS with the Premiere drive attached to the computer.

If it's not a GigaByte brand motherboard, you should be alright booting from the jmfs cd. Once you copy the original Premiere drive to the 1TB, put the original Premiere drive somewhere safe, as the only backup for a Premiere drive is a Premiere drive.

What are you going to do with the now drive-less HD?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #1430
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
If it's not a GigaByte brand motherboard, you should be alright booting from the jmfs cd.
Last week I upgraded my Premiere XL to 2 TB with a computer I built myself with a Gigabyte brand motherboard (GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Rev 1.0 Bios F12). It had no problem booting the JMFS cd, and the upgrade worked fine. Out of curiosity, what's the problem with Gigabyte motherboards? Thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #1431
lpwcomp

Quote:
Last week I upgraded my Premiere XL to 2 TB with a computer I built myself with a Gigabyte brand motherboard (GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Rev 1.0 Bios F12). It had no problem booting the JMFS cd, and the upgrade worked fine. Out of curiosity, what's the problem with Gigabyte motherboards? Thanks
At least some of the Gigabyte motherboards have the annoying habit creating a Host Protected Area on any connected drive, thus rendering the drive unusable in a TiVo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #1432
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
At least some of the Gigabyte motherboards have the annoying habit creating a Host Protected Area on any connected drive, thus rendering the drive unusable in a TiVo.
I've found that if I put a drive on the Primary IDE as master (the one I'm going to use for Windows anyway), it gets HPA'ed, and then the rest are safe.

Of course I learned that the hard way through trial and error.

ShinySteelRobot's board doesn't seem to have any IDE ports so maybe it grabs the one attached to the lowest number SATA port. Maybe they've even wised up by now and provided a way to disable it in the BIOS settings.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #1433
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I successfully upgraded my Premiere HDD using an older (2005) Gigabyte GA-8I915G Pro (Rev 1.x) motherboard in Aug or Sept 2011.

I disconnected all the computers SATA HDDs and connected the Original TiVo drive to SATA1 and the upgrade drive to SATA2, and booted from the jmfs Live CD.

I left the optical drives connected to the IDE connector.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #1434
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
ShinySteelRobot's board doesn't seem to have any IDE ports so maybe it grabs the one attached to the lowest number SATA port. Maybe they've even wised up by now and provided a way to disable it in the BIOS settings.
Hmm, I didn't disable anything in BIOS. Before attaching the TiVo disks I simply reset the BIOS to "optimized defaults" and then set the SATA Mode to AHCI. Then I shut down, hooked up the drives and rebooted. On POST I hit F12 to tell it to boot from the CD in the DVD-ROM drive. That was it, JMFS was up and running, no fuss no muss.

BTW I haven't come across anything in the BIOS settings related to HPA or even suspiciously similar. I've only been using Gigabyte motherboards for about two years now since I started building, uh, my own "Macs". The motherboard I used was about six months old.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #1435
JimR1998

Upgraded to 1.5TB -- constant clicking noise

I picked up a 1.5TB WDC external USB drive on closeout hoping to find a green drive of some sort inside. I ended up with an RE4-GP WD1502FYPS. It has a black label with an "Enterprise Storage" sticker.

The upgrade process with JMFS was simple and flawless. It's the wdidle thing that's giving me problems.

First, I only have a laptop and for the life of me I cannot get wdidle to detect the drive if it's hooked up via USB or eSATA. I spent a few hours on then just gave up.

Tivo booted up fine and all seems to be working well-- except, there is a constant clicking noise coming from the unit. Every 2-3 seconds it sounds like a pair of clicks. It's not even waiting for the 8 second timeout if that's the issue.

Does anyone have experience with this model? I don't mind the noise so much I just don't want to kill the drive.

Thanks!
JimR1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #1436
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR1998 View Post
except, there is a constant clicking noise coming from the unit. Every 2-3 seconds it sounds like a pair of clicks. It's not even waiting for the 8 second timeout if that's the issue.
Unfortunately I've had a hard drive do this too. There's even a term for it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_o...rd_disk_drives
Old 01-31-2012, 01:37 AM   #1437
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I successfully upgraded my Premiere HDD using an older (2005) Gigabyte GA-8I915G Pro (Rev 1.x) motherboard in Aug or Sept 2011.

I disconnected all the computers SATA HDDs and connected the Original TiVo drive to SATA1 and the upgrade drive to SATA2, and booted from the jmfs Live CD.

I left the optical drives connected to the IDE connector.
Does your motherboard manual say anything about Xpress Recovery or Xpress Recovery2?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 AM   #1438
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Does your motherboard manual say anything about Xpress Recovery or Xpress Recovery2?
Yes it did, as a matter of fact. It was listed as an option on boot-up. But the Xpress Recovery never worked, it always said not supported, I tried it a few times over the years.

That motherboard died a month later, and had to rebuild, used an ASUS P8H67-V (REV 3.0) and Core i3-2105.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #1439
L David Matheny

Quote:
Tivo booted up fine and all seems to be working well-- except, there is a constant clicking noise coming from the unit. Every 2-3 seconds it sounds like a pair of clicks. It's not even waiting for the 8 second timeout if that's the issue.
Quote:
Unfortunately I've had a hard drive do this too. There's even a term for it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_o...rd_disk_drives
Fairly loud clicks in pairs could very well be reseeks done by a drive repeatedly trying to read the same failing block of data. But do note that some drives make a soft click every few seconds when idle as they move the heads around to keep heat due to air friction from building up in any one area. OTOH, that idle behavior might not occur in a TiVo since something is always being written and read back due to buffering of live TV.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #1440
unitron

Quote:
I picked up a 1.5TB WDC external USB drive on closeout hoping to find a green drive of some sort inside. I ended up with an RE4-GP WD1502FYPS. It has a black label with an "Enterprise Storage" sticker.

The upgrade process with JMFS was simple and flawless. It's the wdidle thing that's giving me problems.

First, I only have a laptop and for the life of me I cannot get wdidle to detect the drive if it's hooked up via USB or eSATA. I spent a few hours on then just gave up.

Does anyone have experience with this model? I don't mind the noise so much I just don't want to kill the drive.

Thanks!
Are you using it as an internal or external drive?

Stick a plastic soda straw or skinny paintbrush handle in the fan grill on the back to stop the blades turning momentarily and see if you still get the ticking.