TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #1351
BH9244

Error Code from WDIDLE3

Greetings All,
In process of attempting to upgrade my stock Premier using a WD10EVDS. Running Ult Boot CD w/WDIDLE3 v1.05 my WD10EVDS is in a external dock directly connected to a motherboard SATA port.

When I run WDIDLE it reports the three Seagate system drives as non WD drives then lists the WD drive in the dock as follows

Model: WDC WD10EVDS-63U8B0
Serial: WD- Blah , blah blah

VSC Enable CMD Error 51 04 00 01 44 57 A0

Any idea what this means/ what I might try next ?

Thanks
BH9244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #1352
bobade

My 5 month old WD20EARS has started making a lot of noise. While it still works, I'd like to replace it, as it is filled with unwatched shows. Unfortunately, I need to have the TV working by Thanksgiving to entertain our 30 guests, so my choices of locally available 2TB drives is very limited. Here are the choices:

WD20000LSRTL (Caviar Black) - $220
WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN (Caviar Green) - $130

Do you think either of these drives, if properly installed, will work?

Thanks!
bobade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #1353
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobade View Post
My 5 month old WD20EARS has started making a lot of noise. While it still works, I'd like to replace it, as it is filled with unwatched shows. Unfortunately, I need to have the TV working by Thanksgiving to entertain our 30 guests, so my choices of locally available 2TB drives is very limited. Here are the choices:

Thanks!
The WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN is actually a WD20EADS hard drive and will work fine.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #1354
unitron

Quote:

Thanks!
Allow me to echo much-missed rich,

Go for the Green.

Although it will cost you what the Black would have 2 months ago (ouch!), it'll use less power, generate less heat, and probably run a bit more quietly than the Black.

Now comes the part where I have to be in less than total agreement with him (and we just got him back, too ).

WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN is the number on the box.

The drive inside will be a WD Caviar Green, and it will be 2TB, but the actual model might be a WD20EADS, or another WD20EARS, or a WD20EACS, or maybe something newer like an EARX or something.

But it should be fine, just run wdidle3 on it to disable intellipark, then the long test from the WD diagnostic software, then hook up it and your current EARS (both should have the same LBA number), boot with the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org, and Xerox the old one to the new one with dd_rescue.

Are you sure it's the drive that's making noise and not the fan?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #1355
BH9244

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH9244 View Post
Greetings All,
In process of attempting to upgrade my stock Premier using a WD10EVDS. Running Ult Boot CD w/WDIDLE3 v1.05 my WD10EVDS is in a external dock directly connected to a motherboard SATA port.

When I run WDIDLE it reports the three Seagate system drives as non WD drives then lists the WD drive in the dock as follows

Thanks
This may be an newbie question but this is a raw drive to which I have done nothing out of the box, is there any prep I should have done prior to running wdidle3 ?..
Old 11-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #1356
unitron

Quote:
Greetings All,

Thanks
What it means is that for wdidle3 to work the drive has to be connected directly to a SATA port on the computer's motherboard or to an IDE port via a SATA to IDE adapter, or IDE to SATA adapter, depending on which way you look at it.

Do it without the dock.

Of course it could be that intellipark can't be defeated/'have its wait time extended enough to do practically the same thing' on that particular version of that particular model drive.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #1357
BH9244

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What it means is that for wdidle3 to work the drive has to be connected directly to a SATA port on the computer's motherboard or to an IDE port via a SATA to IDE adapter, or IDE to SATA adapter, depending on which way you look at it.

Do it without the dock.

Of course it could be that intellipark can't be defeated/'have its wait time extended enough to do practically the same thing' on that particular version of that particular model drive.

Thanks Unitron, that was the problem worked without incident after bypassing the dock, I had thought (evidently incorrectly) that since the dock was connected to a esata port it esssentially was the same as connected direct to MB. Thanks for clearing that up, hope the rest goes as well..
Old 11-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #1358
richsadams

Quote:
Allow me to echo much-missed rich,

Go for the Green.

Although it will cost you what the Black would have 2 months ago (ouch!), it'll use less power, generate less heat, and probably run a bit more quietly than the Black.

Now comes the part where I have to be in less than total agreement with him (and we just got him back, too ).

WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN is the number on the box.

The drive inside will be a WD Caviar Green, and it will be 2TB, but the actual model might be a WD20EADS, or another WD20EARS, or a WD20EACS, or maybe something newer like an EARX or something.

But it should be fine, just run wdidle3 on it to disable intellipark, then the long test from the WD diagnostic software, then hook up it and your current EARS (both should have the same LBA number), boot with the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org, and Xerox the old one to the new one with dd_rescue.

Are you sure it's the drive that's making noise and not the fan?
I happened to have that retail box number documented as a WD20EADS, but you're right, it might be another/newer model. All the same it should work fine.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #1359
bobade

Rich - thanks so much for the advice.

Unitron - thanks to you, too. You're right. In my box is actually a WD20EARX. Considering the sudden price increase and lack of availability (OfficeMax is limiting drive sales to 1 per customer!), I feel lucky to have found one in town. You made a good point about the noise coming from the fan, but ran the TIVO with the cover off, just to be sure that the fan was not the source.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #1360
unitron

Quote:
Thanks Unitron, that was the problem worked without incident after bypassing the dock, I had thought (evidently incorrectly) that since the dock was connected to a esata port it esssentially was the same as connected direct to MB. Thanks for clearing that up, hope the rest goes as well..
I assume you're going to use the jmfs cd. It can probably see that drive over the dock, but it's only looking to write to the drive, wdidle3 is looking to write to the drive's firmware (the little integrated circuits on the bottom of the drive), and apparently any extra electronics in between get in the way somehow.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #1361
bobade

Unitron, I'm reading your reply more closely, where you say: "...just run wdidle3 on it to disable intellipark, then the long test from the WD diagnostic software, then hook up it and your current EARS (both should have the same LBA number), boot with the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org, and Xerox the old one to the new one with dd_rescue." Actually, I am a few hours into using jmfs to copy my WD20EARS to the new WD20EARX. Why are you recommending a different method?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #1362
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I happened to have that retail box number documented as a WD20EADS, but you're right, it might be another/newer model. All the same it should work fine.
Good to see you back!

As it happens I took several rides on the "trying to buy a WD20EADS in a retail box" merry-go-round (wishing to avoid "advanced format" models), and learned about the "this is our model number for whatever we're putting in the box this week for the big chain outfits to sell" game the hard way.

I knew there was a "retail kit" number on the boxes, and that it wasn't the exact same as the number on the drives themselves, but didn't know going in that there's no guarantee of a one to one relationship between the two numbers.

Found out recently Seagate does the same thing.

But, yeah, as long as it'll let him disable intellipark, any of the Greens should do fine.

Once again, nice to see you back here on the front lines in the never ending struggle of man versus TiVo, where every day is a reaffirmation of Murphy's Law.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #1363
unitron

Quote:
Unitron, I'm reading your reply more closely, where you say: "...just run wdidle3 on it to disable intellipark, then the long test from the WD diagnostic software, then hook up it and your current EARS (both should have the same LBA number), boot with the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org, and Xerox the old one to the new one with dd_rescue." Actually, I am a few hours into using jmfs to copy my WD20EARS to the new WD20EARX. Why are you recommending a different method?
Disable intellipark, because otherwise when the TiVo goes to reboot itself (soft boot), the drive, sensing an entire 8 seconds of not being called upon, will put itself to sleep and the TiVo isn't designed to send it a wake up signal and then wait for it to wake up and respond, the TiVo expects it to be spun up and ready to go when it calls on it, so the TiVo interprets that as not having a drive there at all, or having a dead one.

Run the long test to make sure it isn't bad out of the box, or just about to be. Even if it was fine when it left the factory, there's no telling what happened to it during shipping.

Go read some of the drive reviews at newegg and Amazon. Obviously the people who had bad experiences are more likely to want to vent than those busy enjoying their new product, but a lot of the people having to RMA a brand new drive pointed out the pitiful protection employed when it was shipped to them.

In your case I assumed you'd already fully expanded that EARS, so all you needed to do was "Xerox" it to the new one, which is a job for dd, or dd_rescue, or ddrescue.

jmfs apparently uses either dd_rescue or ddrescue, so it's pretty much the same thing, but in my limited experience with it so far it seems to take a lot longer (that's a subjective observation on my part), and it seems like I can go from pushing the power switch with the MFS Live cd in the optical to

dd_rescue -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

faster than getting to that point with the jmfs cd, and can see what's going on a bit better.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #1364
Soapm

MFS Live may not recognize the premier disc. That was the problem I had trying to run SApper on my TivoHD drive.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #1365
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
MFS Live may not recognize the premier disc. That was the problem I had trying to run SApper on my TivoHD drive.
If you truly mean that

fdisk -l

didn't come up with it as /dev/sd?, whether it found what it recognized as partition information or not, then it's likely that your motherboard couldn't see the drive, either.

If you mean that something like mfsinfo didn't recognize it as a TiVo drive, that's not the same as the version of Linux on the Live cd not being able to find the raw drive.

But if you're just copying a drive of size "X" to another drive of size "X" (same LBA number), i.e., Xerox'ing it, the MFS-specific tools and utilities are not needed.

dd and dd_rescue just copy blocks of bytes without taking notice of what's written to them if you don't tell them to do so.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #1366
Soapm

Quote:
If you truly mean that

fdisk -l

didn't come up with it as /dev/sd?, whether it found what it recognized as partition information or not, then it's likely that your motherboard couldn't see the drive, either.

If you mean that something like mfsinfo didn't recognize it as a TiVo drive, that's not the same as the version of Linux on the Live cd not being able to find the raw drive.

But if you're just copying a drive of size "X" to another drive of size "X" (same LBA number), i.e., Xerox'ing it, the MFS-specific tools and utilities are not needed.

dd and dd_rescue just copy blocks of bytes without taking notice of what's written to them if you don't tell them to do so.
I meant the partition information so it could install the hacks but I guess you're right, that isn't necessary for dd to work.

Edited to add... there is a post in the other forum (I think under series 4 development but it seems to be down at the time) with 4 updated mfs utilities that can be substituted into the mfs live CD that should make it work on a premier drive. I didn't try it and as usual, YMMV... I instead made me a Linux machine which was the best two weeks I ever invested toward hacking my Tivo.

Last edited by Soapm : 11-21-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #1367
unitron

Quote:
... I instead made me a Linux machine...
Something I've been meaning to do for years, and if I can ever get enough hardware working reliably at one time, I still hope to.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #1368
BH9244

Ok, I'm delighted to report another successfull upgrade. In my case I went from a stock 320 GB Premier to a 1TB using a WD10EVDS & the JMFS 1.04 utility. Only hitch was while trying to disable intellipark with WDIDLE3 in that I was attempting to do it via a ESATA external dock, thanks Unitron for your accurate advice hooked up direct and the rest went without any problem. Did the copy,expand,Supersize with two USB connected external docks took approx 6 hours, next time I'd try ESATA.. Thanks Comer for your efforts.. This was painless as it gets..
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #1369
Soapm

Quote:
Something I've been meaning to do for years, and if I can ever get enough hardware working reliably at one time, I still hope to.
You should... I tell you, I used an old PC that was out in the garage that luckily had a 80gig drive. Being able to mount the Tivo drive in a point and click gui has advantages you can't imagine. You can even edit the files in place with the equivalent of notepad on Linux.

My update from 9.2 to 11.0k went bad because the script I used to update made all my new directories with a ? mark (busybox?). It was first of all nice to be able to mount the drive and see what went wrong. Then I just right click and deleted those directors and drug the files from the old to the new partition and presto. I was back in business in a matter of minutes.

I can't believe all the effort I've been putting into hacking my Tivo's and it could have been this simple. Now I'm addicted to the Linux box (am using it now) and can't seem to stop playing with it... I may go buy me a Tivo so I have something to hack (not)... But I do have an XBOX that is trying to avoid direct eye contact...
Old 11-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #1370
unitron

Quote:
... But I do have an XBOX that is trying to avoid direct eye contact...
What, you have a potential whole house media center just sitting there unmodified?

Old 11-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #1371
beeswax

Quote:
there is a post in the other forum (I think under series 4 development but it seems to be down at the time) with 4 updated mfs utilities that can be substituted into the mfs live CD that should make it work on a premier drive. I didn't try it and as usual, YMMV... I instead made me a Linux machine which was the best two weeks I ever invested toward hacking my Tivo.
I've got a UK Virgin Media TiVo (pretty much a Premiere). I already used the LiveCD when I first got it to upgrade from a 500GB drive to a 2TB - worked fine. The software on the box has now been upgraded.

The update initially failed and left the box in a cycle of constant reboots. Putting the 500GB back in and allowing the update to retry worked OK though. So I'm now trying to repeat the original process of cloning the 500GB drive with the new software onto the 2TB drive. LiveCD is giving me "No TiVo drives detected" though.

FDisk /l shows both drives OK but both say invalid partition table. I found the link to the 4 MFS patched files but can't see a way to put them on the CD. I have popped open the ISO and there are no .s4.x86 files to replace

Any help? I'm kind of desperate here...
beeswax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #1372
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
I've got a UK Virgin Media TiVo (pretty much a Premiere). I already used the LiveCD when I first got it to upgrade from a 500GB drive to a 2TB - worked fine. The software on the box has now been upgraded.

The update initially failed and left the box in a cycle of constant reboots. Putting the 500GB back in and allowing the update to retry worked OK though. So I'm now trying to repeat the original process of cloning the 500GB drive with the new software onto the 2TB drive. LiveCD is giving me "No TiVo drives detected" though.

FDisk /l shows both drives OK but both say invalid partition table. I found the link to the 4 MFS patched files but can't see a way to put them on the CD. I have popped open the ISO and there are no .s4.x86 files to replace

Any help? I'm kind of desperate here...
You might have more luck asking that over where spike can see it on the mfslive.org forums or on "the other site" which may not be named here. They're more into the "rewrite your TiVo software" scene.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #1373
beeswax

Thanks unitron, I'm not sure what I did but I _think_ it's resolved. I tried using GParted on the 2TB disk out of desperation more than anything. On the first attempt, I nuked the drive and set the partition table to bsd - didn't work. On the next try I tried a 'gpt' partition table. After an unusually long "Just a few more minutes" screen, I got the main menu back!

So it seems if you wipe the drive and create a new partition table, the box will download the software from Virgin Media. I just have to hope now that my box doesn't suffer the "random reboots" issue.
beeswax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #1374
unitron

Quote:
Thanks unitron, I'm not sure what I did but I _think_ it's resolved. I tried using GParted on the 2TB disk out of desperation more than anything. On the first attempt, I nuked the drive and set the partition table to bsd - didn't work. On the next try I tried a 'gpt' partition table. After an unusually long "Just a few more minutes" screen, I got the main menu back!

So it seems if you wipe the drive and create a new partition table, the box will download the software from Virgin Media. I just have to hope now that my box doesn't suffer the "random reboots" issue.
I'm just wildly guessing here, but it sounds like TiVo finally moved on from the Apple Partition Map, and where they moved to is where, it would seem, everyone is going, the GPT, and what happened is GParted found where the actual TiVo partitions are/were and used that info to re-create the GPT style partition table.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #1375
Soapm

Quote:
IThe update initially failed and left the box in a cycle of constant reboots. Putting the 500GB back in and allowing the update to retry worked OK though. So I'm now trying to repeat the original process of cloning the 500GB drive with the new software onto the 2TB drive. LiveCD is giving me "No TiVo drives detected" though.
Something I learned experimenting, the 9.xx kernel will not work on a 2TB drive. When I had 9.xx on my Tivo I had to use Jamies custom kernel to get it to boot. However, once it upgraded to 11.xx I was able to stay with the neutered stock kernel. I believe that was what you were seeing...

Quote:
You want to remove the .s4.x86 part from the file name. I think he put that there so you could identify his modified files from the originals. Just remove those extensions and put them into the ISO. I haven't tried it so let us know how/if they work...
Old 11-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #1376
ducker

Completed my upgrade to a 2TB drive on Friday night - took only about 4-5hours start to finish. The last time I did an upgrade was back with my S2 single tuner unit, and that was having to type out the whole command line. The new guide/menu system makes it an incredibly easy thing to do.

The trickiest part for me was getting my usb thumb drive to be executable with the .iso on it. when using the Universal USB installer - I had to manually paste in the image name, as the browse window didn't recognize the file name (using Slax6). Once I did that, the data went on the thumb with out an issue.

My setup was -
disconnect DVD and Hard Drive in my PC.
Connect the Tivo hard drive to one SATA cable.
Connect new Hard drive to the other SATA cable.
Boot on USB thumb drive.
Follow the menus, (was seeing a very nice/fast transfer rate!)
and then done!!!

Thanks all for this thread and any/all of the contributions people have posted!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #1377
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
My setup was -
disconnect DVD and Hard Drive in my PC.
Connect the Tivo hard drive to one SATA cable.
Connect new Hard drive to the other SATA cable.
Boot on USB thumb drive.
Follow the menus, (was seeing a very nice/fast transfer rate!)
and then done!!!

Thanks all for this thread and any/all of the contributions people have posted!
Congrats! That's exactly what I had to do as my USB/SATA docks weren't seen by jmfs... I stumbled my way through getting a bootable thumb drive...
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #1378
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
It all depends on how it was copied and by whom. Tivos will only operate with 16 partitions or less.

Look for this on your screen:

1 : start= 1, size= 63 ( 31.50K), type='Apple_partition_map', name='Apple'
13: start= 64, size= 343828320 (163.95G), type='MFS' , name='MFS media region 2'
2 : start= 343828384, size= 1 (512.00b), type='Image' , name='Bootstrap 1'
3 : start= 343828385, size= 16384 ( 8.00M), type='Image' , name='Kernel 1'
4 : start= 343844769, size= 524288 (256.00M), type='Ext2' , name='Root 1'
5 : start= 344369057, size= 1 (512.00b), type='Image' , name='Bootstrap 2'
6 : start= 344369058, size= 16384 ( 8.00M), type='Image' , name='Kernel 2'
7 : start= 344385442, size= 524288 (256.00M), type='Ext2' , name='Root 2'
8 : start= 344909730, size= 262144 (128.00M), type='Swap' , name='Linux swap'
9 : start= 345171874, size= 1048576 (512.00M), type='Ext2' , name='/var'
14: start= 346220450, size= 6291456 ( 3.00G), type='Ext2' , name='SQLite'
10: start= 352511906, size= 1638400 (800.00M), type='MFS' , name='MFS application region'
12: start= 354150306, size= 1638400 (800.00M), type='MFS' , name='MFS application region 2'
11: start= 355788706, size= 269353742 (128.44G), type='MFS' , name='MFS media region'

This is from my stock drive and it shows 14 partitions.

I'm guessing the 1TB has all 16 partitions in use. Hence, you will not be able to copy and expand that drive. You're stuck using the stock drive.

BUT, if the 1TB only has 15 partitions you should be able to copy and expand it since JMFS only writes 1 new partition.

I'd be curious if you try this and see what the results are.
So I am sure what I am reading Comer, there is no change jfms will try to expand the 15th partition? It will always create a 16th partition in this example?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #1379
guruuno

How to Help....please

OK, need some help.
Read all I could all night, today, overwhelming.
Looking for a summary overview.
TiVo HD (TCD652160), HD making noise, time to replace, sporadic reboots, lockups, etc.

Purchased InstantCake, does NOT support anything over 1Tb HD, WANT 2Tb HD, got jmfs-rev104, put both HD's in PC, booted CD, now doing it's thing.

However, at start I was warned that because I had an external expansion HD connected to my TiVo, something would not work (about drive being 'married' to the internal HD), I said OK anyway.

Am I supposed to do something different now? How do I complete the upgrade, forget about the external expansion drive (un-marry) and finish?

Appreciate any fast replies, as my workshop is a mess with crap all over the place.

As a secondary concern, this "InstantCake" stuff, OK I assume when you want a 1Gb HD, but it suers seems a little fishy to me about all of the unknowns, and caveats, and no support except for forums and no REAL advice on what can and cannot be expected, etc (i.e., 2007/2008 software???), Paypal issues,(gee.....I wonder why?), and so on. Maybe I was misguided to choose that 1st or was it non-disclosure on their part? Easy no-brainer in my book, look, see, read, buy, if nothing says you cannot (NOWHERE on the basic landing or informational paged did anyone say anything about HD size limits, hoops to jump through, etc.)

Sure, we can do a billion things a billion ways, but I'm just a little concerned that I wasted $40 for nothing.
guruuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #1380
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruuno View Post
OK, need some help.
Read all I could all night, today, overwhelming.
Looking for a summary overview.
TiVo HD (TCD652160), HD making noise, time to replace, sporadic reboots, lockups, etc.

Purchased InstantCake, does NOT support anything over 1Tb HD, WANT 2Tb HD, got jmfs-rev104, put both HD's in PC, booted CD, now doing it's thing.

However, at start I was warned that because I had an external expansion HD connected to my TiVo, something would not work (about drive being 'married' to the internal HD), I said OK anyway.

Am I supposed to do something different now? How do I complete the upgrade, forget about the external expansion drive (un-marry) and finish?

Appreciate any fast replies, as my workshop is a mess with crap all over the place.

As a secondary concern, this "InstantCake" stuff, OK I assume when you want a 1Gb HD, but it suers seems a little fishy to me about all of the unknowns, and caveats, and no support except for forums and no REAL advice on what can and cannot be expected, etc (i.e., 2007/2008 software???), Paypal issues,(gee.....I wonder why?), and so on. Maybe I was misguided to choose that 1st or was it non-disclosure on their part? Easy no-brainer in my book, look, see, read, buy, if nothing says you cannot (NOWHERE on the basic landing or informational paged did anyone say anything about HD size limits, hoops to jump through, etc.)

Sure, we can do a billion things a billion ways, but I'm just a little concerned that I wasted $40 for nothing.
Well, if it's any consolation the Instant Cake people help keep this site going by buying advertising, so at least some of your $40 went for a good cause.

When you add an external drive every show recorded after that gets part of it put on the internal drive and part put on the external, which means if either drive fails you've lost at least everything recorded since you added the external.

Since expanding the internal means copying it to another, bigger drive and then adding more partitions, that probably will screw up how the TiVo keeps track of what part of which recording is where.

I assume you have jmfs copying the original 160GB internal drive to a 2TB?

When it finishes copying, instead of telling it to expand, exit and try the 2TB in the TiVo WITH THE EXTERNAL ATTACHED AND POWERED UP.

Maybe that'll work and your recordings will still be accessable so that you can use TiVo Desktop to copy off any that aren't anti-copy flagged.

Once you've done that we can explore using the drive in the external enclosure as a middleman on your way to using all of the 2TB drive.

(I've just gotten through putting a 2TB in that same model TiVo, been recording stuff non-stop on both tuners for the past few days to test it, seems to be holding up.)

Just for future reference, links to an image that can be restored with the MFS Live cd and to an image that can be restored with WinMFS can be found in this post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...01#post8831301

but we may be able to use your original drive after we divorce the external and save all of your settings and such.

By the way, are you sure it's the internal going bad and not the external?

You should download the WD diagnostic software bootable cd iso for future reference.

You should also go to mfslive.org and download the MFS Live cd v1.4 iso (I'd tell you to do that even if you didn't own a TiVo) and download the WinMFS program for future reference as well.

When you tried Instant Cake, did it offer any chance to increase the size of your swap partition?