TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #1261
lpwcomp

I still see no evidence that he added a 320GB external to a 2TB internal.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #1262
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Okay, here is what jmfs developer, Comer, says:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...83#post8226583

"You can do it with the current set of tools. However, if your total storage will be greater than 2Tb then you will experience a glitch of unknown consequences. So you better off just using 2tb drive."
Thanks. I can handle glitches of known consequences but not so sure about those of unknown consequences. The worst are unknown glitches of unknown consequences. Seriously, though, I doubt that I'd ever have need for more than a single 1TB drive anyway. I was just curious.
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #1263
roberte94066

Well, can't give up yet. It wants to work, I just need to find a way to help it. I was wondering if there is a specific program that will allow me to see the partitions on a tiro hard drive?
roberte94066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #1264
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberte94066 View Post
Well, can't give up yet. It wants to work, I just need to find a way to help it. I was wondering if there is a specific program that will allow me to see the partitions on a tiro hard drive?
pdisk (with the list option) will show you the partition map. It's included on most of the "live" cds.

WinMFS will also show you the map.

Is a list of the partitions which shows which number they've been assigned, their start and end points (they aren't necessarily on the disk in the order of the numbers), and what file system they use sufficient?

Because beyond that you'll need a hex editor.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #1265
roberte94066

unfortunately, winmfs doesn't see my original drive.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #1266
unitron

Quote:
Are you logged on as administrator or do you otherwise have administrator privileges? Which version of Windows?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #1267
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
If you're using Windows 7, right click on the winmfs.exe and select "Run as Administrator".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #1268
Soapm

How slow is this supposed to go? After 3 hours I've transferred about 2.5 Gigs. Or maybe it's 25 gigs but since the drive is 160 gigs this will take a while...

Edited to add... After 12 hours I've transferred 82GB. I am using IDE with SATA adapters and both drives are on the same channel. I guess I never knew how much faster SATA was but my rule is if it ain't broke then don't replace it...

Last edited by Soapm : 10-04-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #1269
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
How slow is this supposed to go? After 3 hours I've transferred about 2.5 Gigs. Or maybe it's 25 gigs but since the drive is 160 gigs this will take a while...

Edited to add... After 12 hours I've transferred 82GB. I am using IDE with SATA adapters and both drives are on the same channel. I guess I never knew how much faster SATA was but my rule is if it ain't broke then don't replace it...
It's that both drives on the same IDE cable that's killing you, although if managed to boot without DMA enabled that would make a big difference as well.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #1270
Soapm

I guess I should have put one on the IDe channel with the CDROM. Didn't think to do that. Oh well, we learn as we live. I hope it will be done when I get home from work cuz that will be 24 hours.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #1271
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I guess I should have put one on the IDe channel with the CDROM. Didn't think to do that. Oh well, we learn as we live. I hope it will be done when I get home from work cuz that will be 24 hours.
This PCI SATA adapter is what I use, but mine's on a crappy old Pentium III, so it still is way slow. It's only $15 shipped, plus cables (cheap at monoprice.com).

ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #1272
Soapm

You guys won't believe this, after waiting all that time for the image to move to my 2TB drive SApper which I'm using to hack the drive doesn't recognize it as a Tivo drive and can't seem to mount it. However, out of desperation I was able to run SApper on the factory drive.

Man this sucks, so now that I have a hacked image on my factory drive I guess I'll have to copy it on to the 2TB drive which means waiting another 24 hours on pins and needles hoping the power doesn't fail or that no one messes with the computer while I'm gone. I can't believe my luck on this...
Old 10-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #1273
Soapm

Now that I've hacked my factory drive with SApper and got it all working with hacks jmfs no longer recognizes it as a Tivo drive. The only one it's recognizing is my 2TB drive. This means I can't copy the hacked image over to my 2TB drive.

Is there other software that can copy my 160gm drive to my 2TB then expend it? This is really getting frustrating. It is fighting me all the way...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #1274
roberte94066

Cool

I am running winmfs as an admin on W7. It plays nice with everything up to my original 320gb Tivo Premiere drive. It sees it as a Tivo drive, but mfinfo does not- Without diving too deep and cramming a basic education in Tivo disk structure, it seems to me that the problem with adding an additional drive to my already expanded Premiere hinges on either a check bit somewhere that is changed when you copy/expand your original drive, or a problem with the expanded drive seeing the expanded portion as an external drive.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #1275
unitron

Quote:
I am running winmfs as an admin on W7. It plays nice with everything up to my original 320gb Tivo Premiere drive. It sees it as a Tivo drive, but mfinfo does not- Without diving too deep and cramming a basic education in Tivo disk structure, it seems to me that the problem with adding an additional drive to my already expanded Premiere hinges on either a check bit somewhere that is changed when you copy/expand your original drive, or a problem with the expanded drive seeing the expanded portion as an external drive.

I'm pretty sure that just like the Series 3 platform (orig, HD, HD XL), you can add an external to the stock internal, but you can't replace the stock internal with a bigger one and then add the external. No doubt it has something to do with the "spreading the recordings over 2 drives if you add an external" bug, I mean feature.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #1276
Soapm

Quote:
I think it has to do with the extra partition. When you expand a drive you add an additional partition. I guess the external drive is viewed as that additional partition.

Now I know nothing about what I'm talking about so accept my comment as pure conjecture...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #1277
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
For those looking to upgrade - both Newegg and Amazon have the WD20EURS drive now for $79.99. (The EURS drive is an AV drive that has the AAM setting to the quietest level).
The price is now $95 for this drive. It's normal for Amazon prices fluctuate up and down, sometimes even daily.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #1278
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
The price is now $95 for this drive. It's normal for Amazon prices fluctuate up and down, sometimes even daily.
It's also normal for who the actual seller is on Amazon to fluctuate, which can affect the price being asked.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #1279
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It's also normal for who the actual seller is on Amazon to fluctuate, which can affect the price being asked.
I was referring to Amazon sold items and not Amazon 3rd party items.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #1280
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I was referring to Amazon sold items and not Amazon 3rd party items.
And you have to be sure to check to see which is which, 'cause 99% of the ad looks the same.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #1281
roberte94066

Just ran across a program named "iBored" that supposedly is a hex editor that will work with Tivo drives.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #1282
unitron

Quote:
Just ran across a program named "iBored" that supposedly is a hex editor that will work with Tivo drives.
Provided you know what to edit.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #1283
P42

camelcamelcamel.com is great for tracking and alerting on Amazon price changes, and it racks 3rd parties that sell through Amazon

eg this is the 2TB WD20EARS I put in my Premiere:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Western-D...uct/B002ZCXK0I

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #1284
jfh3

I am in the process of copying a Elite drive (WD20EURS) with the Comer tool.

Can anyone who knows more about the Tivo file structure comment as to whether or not there could be reasons why they copy wouldn't book/run normally in an Elite? Is getting to the Tivo Central enough to verify the copied drive works (or should work) OK?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #1285
generaltso

Quote:

Can anyone who knows more about the Tivo file structure comment as to whether or not there could be reasons why they copy wouldn't book/run normally in an Elite? Is getting to the Tivo Central enough to verify the copied drive works (or should work) OK?
It's just doing a dd copy, so there's no reason the cloned drive shouldn't work. The real question is whether you'll be able to expand the copy, or whether a drive bigger than 2TB will work in an Elite at all. What size drive are you using?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #1286
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
It's just doing a dd copy, so there's no reason the cloned drive shouldn't work. The real question is whether you'll be able to expand the copy, or whether a drive bigger than 2TB will work in an Elite at all. What size drive are you using?
That's what I thought - thanks.

I'm using a WD20EARS drive (2TB); don't have a 3TB internal drive (though I may get one to try).
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #1287
generaltso

Quote:
I'm using a WD20EARS drive (2TB), don't have a 3TB internal drive (though I may go out and get one to try).
I've got a 3TB WD30EURS drive ready to test, but my Elite won't arrive from Weaknees until 10/17.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #1288
unitron

Quote:

If you get as far as TiVo Central then the drive works okay as far as booting and loading the operating system.

As to whether it'll run into any problem actually recording shows to the MFS partitions, that's a separate question on which I can't offer any guarantees.

You may have to experiment and report back for the benefit of others.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #1289
resildoc

Red face

Hi-Plz forgive being neophyte, but...quick and perhaps a stupid question. Using a windows 7 computer, in advance of using jmfs, does the new virgin wd-ears drive need to be initialized/formatted or does booting from jmfs take care of this? Thanks, Joel:
resildoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #1290
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by resildoc View Post
Hi-Plz forgive being neophyte, but...quick and perhaps a stupid question. Using a windows 7 computer, in advance of using jmfs, does the new virgin wd-ears drive need to be initialized/formatted or does booting from jmfs take care of this? Thanks, Joel:
JMFS takes care of formatting.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote