TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #1231
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I didn't know if the Premiere had a warranty sticker or some other anti-tampering indicator. Since JMFS copies the whole drive I guess I can wait the 90 days before popping the top off. As a retired engineer it's hard to keep my hands out of stuff.
I don't believe there is any kind of anti-tampering device. I didn't say you would get caught if all you did was back it up and put it back in. However, on further consideration, I don't think there is any way to backup a Premiere. When you do the upgrade, be sure and store the stock drive in safe place.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #1232
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I don't believe there is any kind of anti-tampering device. I didn't say you would get caught if all you did was back it up and put it back in. However, on further consideration, I don't think there is any way to backup a Premiere. When you do the upgrade, be sure and store the stock drive in safe place.
When I said Backup, what I really meant was to just duplicate the stock drive and store it away to make future drives if the stock one fails. As Buffalo Springfield once said "Paranoia strikes deep".
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #1233
lpwcomp

I'm not paranoid but I know everyone thinks I am.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 AM   #1234
unitron

Quote:
When I said Backup, what I really meant was to just duplicate the stock drive and store it away to make future drives if the stock one fails. As Buffalo Springfield once said "Paranoia strikes deep".
That's not paranoia, that's just a deep and proper appreciation of the full effects and ramifications of Murphy's Law.

And as we all know, Murphy was an optimist.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #1235
~kyle

I have a problem (maybe). I just bought a WD20EARS to upgrade my premiere. I've run the WD lifeguard and it passed both the quick and extended tests. But it says that AAM is not supported. So I tried checking with the Hitachi Feature Tool v.2.11 CD and it also said that that feature is not supported. Is this something I should worry about? Has WD changed the drive features for the WD20EARS? Mine has a manufacture date of "03 AUG 2011". I did set the idle time to 300 with no problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.
~kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #1236
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kyle View Post
I have a problem (maybe). I just bought a WD20EARS to upgrade my premiere. I've run the WD lifeguard and it passed both the quick and extended tests. But it says that AAM is not supported. So I tried checking with the Hitachi Feature Tool v.2.11 CD and it also said that that feature is not supported. Is this something I should worry about? Has WD changed the drive features for the WD20EARS? Mine has a manufacture date of "03 AUG 2011". I did set the idle time to 300 with no problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.
There's also the hdparm utility on the Linux mfs-live CD you could try.

But even if that fails, the EARS is a green drive, regardless, you're probably fine with the sound as is. Fire it up and see how noisy it is.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #1237
~kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
There's also the hdparm utility on the Linux mfs-live CD you could try.

But even if that fails, the EARS is a green drive, regardless, you're probably fine with the sound as is. Fire it up and see how noisy it is.
Thanks, I may just do that and fire it up anyway. It's in an enclosed cabinet so I'm probably not going to hear it anyway.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #1238
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kyle View Post
It's in an enclosed cabinet so I'm probably not going to hear it anyway.
Not to go far OT, but you do have the cabinet well-ventilated... yes?
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #1239
~kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Not to go far OT, but you do have the cabinet well-ventilated... yes?
Abslolutely, it's a well ventilated BDI cabinet that I've been using for several years and never had any heat issues at all.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #1240
roberte94066

Comer, it appears I do not have enough posts to pm yet. I am trying to add a VVS,(believe that is proper i.d.), drive previously formatted for a THD in a 3rd party case to my Premiere. It sees it, reboots, and then nothing. I was hoping you could send your upgrade instructions to my email address, (robert-e@pacbell.net). Many thanks, Robert E.
roberte94066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #1241
1idjack

Samsung EcoGreen F4

I just upgraded my Premiere XL with a Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB. I chose the Samsung because it has more favorable reviews on Newegg than the WD drives, and the power usage is even lower than WD drives. Copying took just under seven hours hooked to the motherboard of my ancient Dell (I think it has SATA I). While copying, I had the drive vertical, and it was silent. Installed in my Tivo it is horizontal, of course, and now, really loud! I pulled it to reset AAM, which is set to "disabled" as delivered. When set to "quiet" by Samsung's ES Tools, it is very close to the WD drives I have.
One thing is a little odd: my Tivo shows 301 hours of hd capacity. I don't know how I managed that(I think most people are getting about 317 with 2 Tb).
Just a note: although Samsung doesn't make a big deal of it, the reviews I read say this is "advanced format" like the new WD drives.
P.S.: Many thanks to Comer.
1idjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #1242
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idjack View Post
I just upgraded my Premiere XL with a Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB. I chose the Samsung because it has more favorable reviews on Newegg than the WD drives, and the power usage is even lower than WD drives. Copying took just under seven hours hooked to the motherboard of my ancient Dell (I think it has SATA I). While copying, I had the drive vertical, and it was silent. Installed in my Tivo it is horizontal, of course, and now, really loud! I pulled it to reset AAM, which is set to "disabled" as delivered. When set to "quiet" by Samsung's ES Tools, it is very close to the WD drives I have.
One thing is a little odd: my Tivo shows 301 hours of hd capacity. I don't know how I managed that(I think most people are getting about 317 with 2 Tb).
Just a note: although Samsung doesn't make a big deal of it, the reviews I read say this is "advanced format" like the new WD drives.
P.S.: Many thanks to Comer.
Did you do the "Supersize" step?

Or maybe it's(capacity) is related to the "advanced format".
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #1243
~kyle

Thumbs up

I never could set AAM with any of the suggested utilities on my WD20EARS. Everything I used said AAM was "not supported". So I went ahead and set the idle to 300 and upgraded my premiere anyway after making a bootable usb flash drive with jmfs Sunday night. Took just a few hours and everything went without a hitch and now I've got 317 hours.

Thanks comer, I just sent you a donation...not enough for a hard drive but maybe enough for a few beers.

...and thanks to everyone else on here whose suggestions and experience came in handy.

Cheers!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #1244
roberte94066

Ok, time to pick the collective brain again! I just replaced the 320gb drive on my Premiere with a 1.5tb drive. The operation went smoothly and all was well until I tried to add a Mybook AV expander. Tivo sees the expander and goes through the power cycle to add it, but nothing happens. When it fully reboots, it shows a message that it sees the expander and offers options. I used a different esata cable with it, btw. Where do I go from here???
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #1245
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberte94066 View Post
Ok, time to pick the collective brain again! I just replaced the 320gb drive on my Premiere with a 1.5tb drive. The operation went smoothly and all was well until I tried to add a Mybook AV expander. Tivo sees the expander and goes through the power cycle to add it, but nothing happens. When it fully reboots, it shows a message that it sees the expander and offers options. I used a different esata cable with it, btw. Where do I go from here???
The 1TB you're allowed to use from an external drive you already used internally with the 1.5TB.

You get the original 320GB plus up to 1TB additional grand total and that's it, whether the 1TB is an external drive or part of the internal.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #1246
roberte94066

???????

I'm sorry, but doesn't the machine support up to 2.25gb total??
Old 09-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #1247
unitron

Quote:
I'm sorry, but doesn't the machine support up to 2.25gb total??
Perhaps I'm confusing it with the constraints reported for the S3 platform machines.

You could go back and read this thread and a few others from the beginning and probably find out.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #1248
ducker

Quote:
I didn't know if the Premiere had a warranty sticker or some other anti-tampering indicator. Since JMFS copies the whole drive I guess I can wait the 90 days before popping the top off. As a retired engineer it's hard to keep my hands out of stuff.
This is harder to do then you may think - at least in my experience. I'm at about 30 days, and I'm dieing to pull the trigger. Due to the limited capacity I'm watching shows faster then I typically do - often I wait for the weekend to watch a number of the shows, because the weekdays are just too busy.

But with all these new shows up and coming, combine with children's programming - I'm already up to 60% or so.

I don't think I'll be able to wait anther 60 days
Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #1249
ducker

Quote:
Duplicate the stock drive, and put the non-stock drive back in. Put away the stock drive and keep that one safe. That's what most people do.

If you're going to go in there to pull the drive and back it up, I would suggest finding a drive a bit larger (why not!) and then not replace the stock drive in the unit, and instead use your new copy.

Use the copy, versus the original.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #1250
roberte94066

So I guess my question still stands-can anyone think of a reason why a mybook av expander would fail to mate with a tivo premiere which has a freshly installed 1.5tb drive? The installed drive is working nicely, btw.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #1251
lpwcomp

Quote:
So I guess my question still stands-can anyone think of a reason why a mybook av expander would fail to mate with a tivo premiere which has a freshly installed 1.5tb drive? The installed drive is working nicely, btw.
Just thrwing these out as possibilities. I don't know for sure but:

You're trying to exceed the 2.2 TB limit and it can't use just part of the expander? The expander has to be as large as or larger than the internal?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #1252
dwit

Quote:
The "mating" capability is only functional with a stock Tivo hard drive. So the capability is typically lost if the drive has been upgraded.

Edited for more accurate info: See link below:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...83#post8226583
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 09-28-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #1253
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
The "mating" capability is only functional with a stock Tivo hard drive. So the capability is typically lost if the drive has been upgraded.
I've heard that upgrading the drive causes you to lose the expander drive function on Series3/3HD boxes but I assumed that was because WINMFS or MFSLive only make truncated images. Is that still the case with JMFS which supposedly clones the drive? Or maybe the expander function would still work if the new drive was the same size as the original but not if it is larger. Anyone have first hand experience in this area?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #1254
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
Duplicate the stock drive, and put the non-stock drive back in. Put away the stock drive and keep that one safe. That's what most people do.

If you're going to go in there to pull the drive and back it up, I would suggest finding a drive a bit larger (why not!) and then not replace the stock drive in the unit, and instead use your new copy.

Use the copy, versus the original.
Yeah, that's what I've done with my other Tivos. I like WINMFS so that is what I've used on the older boxes but I still have the original drives stashed away in case of emergency. Anyone in the market for an original Series 1 Philips 14 GB drive?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #1255
dwit

Quote:
I've heard that upgrading the drive causes you to lose the expander drive function on Series3/3HD boxes but I assumed that was because WINMFS or MFSLive only make truncated images. Is that still the case with JMFS which supposedly clones the drive? Or maybe the expander function would still work if the new drive was the same size as the original but not if it is larger. Anyone have first hand experience in this area?
Okay, here is what jmfs developer, Comer, says:

"You can do it with the current set of tools. However, if your total storage will be greater than 2Tb then you will experience a glitch of unknown consequences. So you better off just using 2tb drive."
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 09-28-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #1256
roberte94066

And yet Weaknees has a 4tb internal/external system working-this begs the question of the problem being one of formatting only, that is to say, it should be possible to extend the partition out to its' 2.2tb limit via partitions on the external drive. True, it would not use all the external drive capacity, but that would be ok with me.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #1257
dwit

Quote:
And yet Weaknees has a 4tb internal/external system working-this begs the question of the problem being one of formatting only, that is to say, it should be possible to extend the partition out to its' 2.2tb limit via partitions on the external drive. True, it would not use all the external drive capacity, but that would be ok with me.
When you figure out how to do it, or how weaknees does it, let us know.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #1258
roberte94066

OK, so I guess my question would be addressed to Comer. How did you add the 320gb external (original) drive to the 2tb internal drive ?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #1259
lpwcomp

Quote:
OK, so I guess my question would be addressed to Comer. How did you add the 320gb external (original) drive to the 2tb internal drive ?
Where do you see that he did this?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #1260
roberte94066

I believe I followed the string from the previous post which also quoted him as follows:
Okay, here is what jmfs developer, Comer, says:

"You can do it with the current set of tools. However, if your total storage will be greater than 2Tb then you will experience a glitch of unknown consequences. So you better off just using 2tb drive."