TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #1201
bd3521

Exclamation

I ended up purchasing the 1TB WD10EVDS as it was only $60 on Amazon and was already DVR optimized.

I am having a big issue with WINMFS (Windows 7). I went to backup my existing tivo drive and it does correctly shows the tivo label when i select the drive. But when I goto to perform a truncated backup or click msinfo it says "not a tivo drive". So I cannot backup my current drive to my new WD10EVDS.

I wanted to make sure my stock tivo drive still works. Now when I put the original (was previously working fine) tivo drive back it constantly reboots after 10 seconds or so and all lights on the premiere blink. Reboot loop.

So I tried "option 1" and then "option 2" of the bootpage fix with no luck. What should I do to at least get my original drive operational again?

Thank you
-Bryan

Last edited by bd3521 : 09-07-2011 at 08:52 AM.
bd3521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #1202
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3521 View Post
I ended up purchasing the 1TB WD10EVDS as it was only $60 on Amazon and was already DVR optimized.

I am having a big issue with WINMFS (Windows 7). I went to backup my existing tivo drive and it does correctly shows the tivo label when i select the drive. But when I goto to perform a truncated backup or click msinfo it says "not a tivo drive". So I cannot backup my current drive to my new WD10EVDS.

I wanted to make sure my stock tivo drive still works. Now when I put the original (was previously working fine) tivo drive back it constantly reboots after 10 seconds or so and all lights on the premiere blink. Reboot loop.

So I tried "option 1" and then "option 2" of the bootpage fix with no luck. What should I do to at least get my original drive operational again?

Thank you
-Bryan
Unfortunately, I think you chose the wrong method to upgrade your Premiere. AFAIK(as far as I know), Winmfs does not work on the Premiere. I think that may be why winmfs does not recognize the drive as a Tivo drive.

So far, the "image" of the Premiere drive cannot be extracted out as a truncated image like for the s2 and s3. Premiere drives are essentially cloned, and expanded to a larger drive, if that is the case.

I also think that is why the winmfs "fix boot page" is not working(if indeed the boot sector was corrupted).

I don't know for sure if your Premiere drive is corrupted and/or if it is, what precisely did it. I do know pretty much the exact thing happened to another poster; maybe this thread, or possibly in another. The only solution that worked there was to find another working Premiere drive to copy using the correct method, namely the JMFS program.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #1203
bd3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Unfortunately, I think you chose the wrong method to upgrade your Premiere. AFAIK(as far as I know), Winmfs does not work on the Premiere. I think that may be why winmfs does not recognize the drive as a Tivo drive.

So far, the "image" of the Premiere drive cannot be extracted out as a truncated image like for the s2 and s3. Premiere drives are essentially cloned, and expanded to a larger drive, if that is the case.

I also think that is why the winmfs "fix boot page" is not working(if indeed the boot sector was corrupted).

I don't know for sure if your Premiere drive is corrupted and/or if it is, what precisely did it. I do know pretty much the exact thing happened to another poster; maybe this thread, or possibly in another. The only solution that worked there was to find another working Premiere drive to copy using the correct method, namely the JMFS program.
Is there any way for me to restore the boot page using JMFS or importing someone else's bootpage? I assume thats the only thing that was mucked with with WinMFS. I don't know what to do besides buying a drive through DVR Dude?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #1204
dwit

Quote:
Is there any way for me to restore the boot page using JMFS or importing someone else's bootpage? I assume thats the only thing that was mucked with with WinMFS. I don't know what to do besides buying a drive through DVR Dude?
AFAIK, there is no repair if the drive is too corrupted, for whatever reason. You might try the built in Tivo "kickstart" diagnostics. It can often repair errors encountered during the course of "normal" Tivo operation. You will have to search here, or at tivo.com support for the procedure, as I am not versed in how to initiate. Maybe someone will chime in.

How long have you had the Tivo? There is free warranty support if less than 90 days. I think it's only $50 if longer than 90days but less than 1 year.

Again, if you know someone with a Premiere, maybe they will be generous enough to let you try cloning.

Good luck.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #1205
lpwcomp

Quote:
How long have you had the Tivo? There is free warranty support if less than 90 days. I think it's only $50 if longer than 90days but less than 1 year.
You mean the warranty that was voided when the case was opened?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #1206
bd3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You mean the warranty that was voided when the case was opened?
Its a year and two months anyway. I guess, I'll order another drive.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #1207
richsadams

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the error in trying to upgrade your TiVo Premiere. As dwit suggests you may want to try running TiVo's built-in diagnostic and repair programs called "Kickstarts"...particularly KS57 and KS58. No guarantee that things will get better, but it's worth a try.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Note that specific instructions for running the Kickstarts on the Premiere are located near the bottom of the post.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #1208
dwit

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...=270810257768+
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #1209
richsadams

That's a pretty good deal!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #1210
bd3521

Thank you sir. I just grabbed this one a little while ago...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330604697737#ht_739wt_1139

So my plan is to use JMFS and not WinFS! If all works well, I can copy the ebay drive to my new WD10EVDS and then to my old OEM drive thats grumpy. So I will have two backups.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #1211
drhankz

Quote:

So my plan is to use JMFS and not WinFS! If all works well, I can copy the ebay drive to my new WD10EVDS and then to my old OEM drive thats grumpy. So I will have two backups.
JUST REMEMBER - you need to BOOT from JMFS.
If you let Windows Access the drive it will be CRAP
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #1212
dwit

Quote:

Yep. Or sell one of them.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #1213
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
JUST REMEMBER - you need to BOOT from JMFS.
If you let Windows Access the drive it will be CRAP
Yep. Disconnect the windows drive.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #1214
drhankz

Quote:
Yep. Disconnect the windows drive.
That is NOT what I said
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #1215
richsadams

Quote:

Here is what I would do (and this will save you some problems short and long-term):

1. Install the ebay drive into your existing TiVo.
2. Run Clear and Delete Everything.
3. Let it update to the latest OS.
4. Get it set up completely (pairing cable cards, etc.).
5. Use it to upgrade.
6. Put it on the shelf for safe keeping.

You can mess around with trying to copy the data to your old drive if you'd like but I wouldn't waste my time. Put the "new" OEM drive on the shelf and you're golden.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #1216
bobman0330

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylb View Post
I just bought a Premiere and after much struggle got Comcast to pair up my cablecard. After that I ordered a Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 and followed procedures outlined in 1st post by Comer to copy the original drive.

Plugged in Tivo after assembly and noticed that i had about 467 hours of "best quality recording". I thought a 2tb after supersize could only get you about 312 hours. Am I missing something? Why is mine showing much more? Dont get me wrong, I love the extra space but cannot help but be suspicious.

btw thanks to ALL who have contributed and especially to Comer for such an easy process !!!!!

extra info : from all research I have done ANY new sata drive will work whether its 5400rpm, 5900rp, or 7200rpm. I chose this model due to heat factor. I know a lot has also been said about drives and failure of drives - if you look at newegg, there are a lot of DOA reviews, i believe these are associated with their older shipping methods of throwing into a box with brown paper. Last few drives I have received have all been boxed within another box and held in place by "cups" to hold the sides of the drive in place so its well protected. I only got the Seagate because i missed a deal on the WD drives everybody seems to use here and got this seagate for $69 with free shipping - I dont regret this purchase.
Just as another data point, I got the same drive (from Amazon, also for $69) and my upgrade did not work. I got random stuttering escalating into freezes even after trying the upgrade repeatedly, on different computers, etc. I returned the drive and got the WD20EARS, and (cross your fingers) everything seems to have gone perfectly. I noticed that Amazon has stopped listing the Seagate drive due to customer complaints, so it's possible that there are some reliability problems (or Amazon shipping problems).
bobman0330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #1217
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Wd Av-gp Wd20eurs 2tb

FYI: The price of the Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB has dropped from $99.99 to $79.99 on both Amazon and Newegg.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp/B0042AG9V8/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

I upgraded my OEM 320GB to the WD20EURS over the weekend, simplest upgrade ever, copy took about 2 hours.

I paid $89.99 last week, wish I had waited a week, I was expecting the price to go back up, not down.

One minor issue though, with the OEM 320GB HDD, I never had a single "Green Circle" wait issue using the HDUI. Since the upgrade, I have had to wait several times for the menu to become responsive again. Adding and modifying Season Passes also takes a bit longer to get passed the Please Wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 09-15-2011 at 09:21 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #1218
bd3521

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Here is what I would do (and this will save you some problems short and long-term):

1. Install the ebay drive into your existing TiVo.
2. Run Clear and Delete Everything.
3. Let it update to the latest OS.
4. Get it set up completely (pairing cable cards, etc.).
5. Use it to upgrade.
6. Put it on the shelf for safe keeping.

You can mess around with trying to copy the data to your old drive if you'd like but I wouldn't waste my time. Put the "new" OEM drive on the shelf and you're golden.
Everything works great now - 1TB! Thanks very much guys.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #1219
jfh3

For those looking to upgrade - both Newegg and Amazon have the WD20EURS drive now for $79.99. (The EURS drive is an AV drive that has the AAM setting to the quietest level).

Usually the AV drives are $10-$20 more (and if you follow the instructions here, there is no advantage to using an AV drive over the regular green ones).
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #1220
M.N.M

Has anyone tried adding an expander/external drive to a 2TB TP yet? (Like the weakness model 2TB internal + 2TB external)

I couldn't find any post mentioning attempts to get this working.
M.N.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #1221
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.N.M View Post
Has anyone tried adding an expander/external drive to a 2TB TP yet? (Like the weakness model 2TB internal + 2TB external)

I couldn't find any post mentioning attempts to get this working.
Weaknees methods of achieving this are "trade secrets" right now.

Outside of the weaknees models, maximum capacity is a total of 2 TB.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #1222
Big Deficit
Happy now?

HELP!!! I've tried upgrading my premier using jmfs. The copy went fine. I used wdidle3 and that (after a few computer sata issues) went fine too and reports disabled (62 min). When I try to boot, I get the wait screen for maybe a minute then it flashes black, all the lights on the tivo flash and the process restarts. I've now tried both a wd20ears and a wd20eurs with the same result (well, the ears boot loops faster than the eurs). What the heck am I doing wrong? I've added drives to every tivo I've owned all the way back to 2000 and have never had a problem.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #1223
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
HELP!!! I've tried upgrading my premier using jmfs. The copy went fine. I used wdidle3 and that (after a few computer sata issues) went fine too and reports disabled (62 min). When I try to boot, I get the wait screen for maybe a minute then it flashes black, all the lights on the tivo flash and the process restarts. I've now tried both a wd20ears and a wd20eurs with the same result (well, the ears boot loops faster than the eurs). What the heck am I doing wrong? I've added drives to every tivo I've owned all the way back to 2000 and have never had a problem.
Have you tried reinstalling the original Tivo drive to see if it starts up and operates properly?

Were any errors(source,destination) reported on screen during the copy?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #1224
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Quote:
Have you tried reinstalling the original Tivo drive to see if it starts up and operates properly?

Were any errors(source,destination) reported on screen during the copy?
Thanks for the reply. I solved the problem. Just in case anyone else has this issue though unlikely-

My ancient and probably last desktop pc (Asus a7n8x-e deluxe mb) has onboard sata but can't handle large 1T+ drives. It hangs on post if one is connected. That's why I got a pci sata card, which has worked fine including upgrading my TivoHD several years ago. I had trouble applying wdidle3 with the pci card, which says it doesn't support pci-x. I eventually solved that problem by activating the on board sata but not plugging in the drive till after post. Just before bed last night, I thought the sata card could also be messing with the copy but jmfs is not reporting the error. I did the same "hot plug" with the drives and noticed the copy went ~30% faster. When I awoke this morning, I did the expand/super size, installed the drive and had a working 317hr premier.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #1225
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
Thanks for the reply. I solved the problem. Just in case anyone else has this issue though unlikely-

My ancient and probably last desktop pc (Asus a7n8x-e deluxe mb) has onboard sata but can't handle large 1T+ drives. It hangs on post if one is connected. That's why I got a pci sata card, which has worked fine including upgrading my TivoHD several years ago. I had trouble applying wdidle3 with the pci card, which says it doesn't support pci-x. I eventually solved that problem by activating the on board sata but not plugging in the drive till after post. Just before bed last night, I thought the sata card could also be messing with the copy but jmfs is not reporting the error. I did the same "hot plug" with the drives and noticed the copy went ~30% faster. When I awoke this morning, I did the expand/super size, installed the drive and had a working 317hr premier.
I've got that same motherboard, and you're right, a 1TB SATA drive chokes it.

However, that same drive with a JMicron or Marvell chipset based SATA/IDE adapter, will boot just fine, manufacturers' diagnostic disks work and aren't bothered by finding a SATA drive on the IDE controller, and I ran wdidle3 on a WD10EACS that way, no problem.

I even connected 2TB drives, the WD20EADS, that way to format NTFS with the Parted Magic cd.

So, if they'd kept making bigger and bigger IDE drives, that motherboard could have handled them.

Too bad the SATA controller wasn't made by whoever made the IDE controller.

I'll remember that hot plug technique for when all my adapters are tied up elsewhere though.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #1226
Hilltopper06

I have a Premiere in my living room that I don't want to mess with and an extra Premiere in my closet that I planned to use when my Tivo HD subscription expired but Tivo offered the $99 lifetime so I took it and now I have this 'extra' Premiere.

Here's my question: is it possible to try to do an upgrade before I activate a subscription on this Premiere or would it have to be fully functional with a subscription to upgrade? I'm asking because if I can get this Premiere to work with a large hard drive then I would pay the $399 for lifetime on it but I don't want to do that unless I know it would work.
Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime Subscription
Hilltopper06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #1227
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Just ordered a new Premiere so I was checking out this thread. Been using WINMFS in the past for Series 1, 2DT, and 3HD but I understand that does not work for Premieres. My questions:

1. Will JMFS work if both drives are connected using external SATA to USB adapters?
2. Can I make a backup copy of my virgin Tivo drive without voiding the Tivo warranty?
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #1228
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
1. Will JMFS work if both drives are connected using external SATA to USB adapters?
Should work as long as you use two separate adapters rather than one multi-drive adapters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
2. Can I make a backup copy of my virgin Tivo drive without voiding the Tivo warranty?
Since you have to open the TiVo to do this, the answer would be no.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #1229
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Since you have to open the TiVo to do this, the answer would be no.
I didn't know if the Premiere had a warranty sticker or some other anti-tampering indicator. Since JMFS copies the whole drive I guess I can wait the 90 days before popping the top off. As a retired engineer it's hard to keep my hands out of stuff.
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #1230
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper06 View Post
I have a Premiere in my living room that I don't want to mess with and an extra Premiere in my closet that I planned to use when my Tivo HD subscription expired but Tivo offered the $99 lifetime so I took it and now I have this 'extra' Premiere.

Here's my question: is it possible to try to do an upgrade before I activate a subscription on this Premiere or would it have to be fully functional with a subscription to upgrade? I'm asking because if I can get this Premiere to work with a large hard drive then I would pay the $399 for lifetime on it but I don't want to do that unless I know it would work.
Yes. You can upgrade the Premiere hard drive before activating a subscription. I have done so(decided not to subscribe).
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.