Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #1171
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
Help needed please.

I have a Dell Optiplex 760. It is 2 years old. 3.0 Ghz, dual core.

I removed the hard drive from my computer. I took the power cable and SATA cable that were connected to that drive and I connected them to the hard drive that I pulled out of my Tivo premiere.

I left my computer case open. There are a couple of open SATA ports on the mother board. I used a SATA cable to connect an open port to a new, blank hard drive(2 TB). I also connect a power cable to this new 2 TB drive.

For some reason, Comer's application does not recognize my new blank drive. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to adjust my BIOS, or something else?

Many thanks,

TC
Probably the best thing to do now is to see if your computer's bios recognizes the drive. Go into the bios. One of the first options should say something like "CMOS Options". Check ther to see if the drive is recognized and identified correctly(as to capacity, etc).
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #1172
PocoDiablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Probably the best thing to do now is to see if your computer's bios recognizes the drive. Go into the bios. One of the first options should say something like "CMOS Options". Check ther to see if the drive is recognized and identified correctly(as to capacity, etc).
I agree with this as well.

If that does not work, see my most recent posts. I had to load my Western Digital drive into Windows, then run the Western Digital drive check software, and only then was it properly recognized.
PocoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #1173
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocoDiablo View Post
I agree with this as well.

If that does not work, see my most recent posts. I had to load my Western Digital drive into Windows, then run the Western Digital drive check software, and only then was it properly recognized.
Keep in mind that AFAIK yours is the first time anyone has had to do that so it's more of an anomaly than anything.

Again, I'd caution against having a TiVo drive connected to any PC while using Windows drive management under any circumstance.

It does sound like a BIOS setting issue for the OP. The only additional thing I'd recommend is to try swapping drives on the SATA port that's "working" to ensure both drives are actually recognized as well as trying a different SATA port to see if the drive can be recognized.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #1174
jfh3

Notes on upgrading a Premiere 320 using WD20EARS drive (Mfg date March 2011):

- took out 320GB drive from Tivo
- Used WD DLG Diagnostics to run both Quick and Extended tests on new drive
- Used comer tool to Copy, Expand and Supersize (don't forget to go up a menu)
- put new drive into Tivo. Remember that the label side goes down. Otherwise, the cover just doesn't fit.
- Put the original drive in an electrostatic bag and boxed it.
- Reconnected the Tivo, booted it, verified 317HD. Did a soft boot too.
- Yelled at myself for wasting 15-20 minutes trying to get the Tivo cover on with the hard drive mounted upside down.

I tried to run Hitachi Feature tool (both 2.05 and 2.12) to set AAM to 128, but neither version recognized the WD20EARS drive, so AAM is at the default.

I was going to set WDIDLE3 to 300 seconds, but I had a bad boot disk, so I left that alone.

Tivo booted up in 5-10 minutes (wasn't really paying attention) and all is well.

I'm not too worried about WDIDLE3, as my drive was manufactured this March and since this Tivo is about 12 feet from where I sit, I doubt I'll hear the difference on AAM.
I couldn't tell too much difference when they were attached to the PC.

I've upgraded many Tivos over the years and this was about as simple as it gets. Terrific tool! - a beer money contribution on its' way soon!

Last edited by jfh3 : 08-31-2011 at 01:50 PM.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #1175
lpwcomp

Did you do a soft boot? Just to be sure.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #1176
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Did you do a soft boot? Just to be sure.
Yes, just edited my post to note that. I always do a connection to Tivo and then a soft reboot after an upgrade - just didn't think to comment on it above.

In this case, it took a little longer, as 14.8c got loaded/installed.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #1177
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Yes, just edited my post to note that. I always do a connection to Tivo and then a soft reboot after an upgrade - just didn't think to comment on it above.

In this case, it took a little longer, as 14.8c got loaded/installed.
Many thanks for the info! Did you happen to notice what the manufacture date was for your WD20EARS?

Also, FWIW while in jmfs you can exit to the prompt and run "hdparm -M <device> to set the AAM, but as you mention, those drives are very quiet out of the box.

"TIA and enjoy!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #1178
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed08724 View Post
What is the benefit of copying backwards. I remember reading a post about this previously but have been unable to find it.
Thanks for your help and glad to have my programs back.
I don't really know why running it backwards sometimes works better, but I've had success sticking the problem drive in the freezer overnight and then running dd_rescue with the -r switch and getting the contents over to a new drive when doing it forwards didn't seem to work out.

If I have a choice between understanding fully why something doesn't work, and having it work even though I couldn't tell you why to save my life, I'll settle for confusion and success.

Search my previous posts for how to use other switches to make dd_rescue do smaller than default chunks at a time to increase success rates with problem drives. Just don't expect me to be able to explain why it works.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #1179
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Many thanks for the info! Did you happen to notice what the manufacture date was for your WD20EARS?
March 2011

Quote:
Also, FWIW while in jmfs you can exit to the prompt and run "hdparm -M <device> to set the AAM, but as you mention, those drives are very quiet out of the box.
Thanks. I had remembered this a few minutes after the Tivo and PC were put back together ...

I upgraded another box at the same time using an AV drive in that one. I'm not really going to worry about AAM unless I upgrade the box in the master bed room and even then it probably won't matter, as my wife says my hearing is pretty bad anyway
Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #1180
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
...it probably won't matter, as my wife says my hearing is pretty bad anyway
I don't think women mean that literally.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #1181
Tivogre

Just used this to install a 2TB WD EARS drive in my new Premier.

Reports 317 hours HD.

THANKS ALL!!!
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #1182
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
Just used this to install a 2TB WD EARS drive in my new Premier.

Reports 317 hours HD.

THANKS ALL!!!
Nice. Enjoy!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #1183
PedjaR

WD20EARS is on sale for $69.99 at newegg, with promo code EMCKAKH22. That drive seems to be one of the recommended ones. Worked great for me, and, apparently, a lot of others as well.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #1184
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
WD20EARS is on sale for $69.99 at newegg, with promo code EMCKAKH22. That drive seems to be one of the recommended ones. Worked great for me, and, apparently, a lot of others as well.
That's a good price, thanks for posting. I suspect we'll see more discounts on the EARS series as it looks like the EARX will be replacing it.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #1185
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
Check the reviews on this drive at NewEgg and note how many more negative ones there are lately.

Apparently WD's quality control on this model isn't what it used to be.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #1186
richsadams

I won't rehash the stats again, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another WD20EARS. The WD20EARS drives that I'm using have been fine...one over a year old the other about a month old now. YMMV of course.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #1187
unitron

Quote:
I won't rehash the stats again, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another WD20EARS. The WD20EARS drives that I'm using have been fine...one over a year old the other about a month old now. YMMV of course.
My email shows a 9 minutes older reply of yours that seems to have evaporated.
Quote:
---Quote (Originally by unitron)---
Check the reviews on this drive at NewEgg and note how many more negative ones there are lately.

---End Quote---
I still don't see it that way based on reviews on Newegg and elsewhere. Overall they're no better and no worse than the rest of the line IMO. I bought one a month or so ago and it's working fine. YMMV of course, but I wouldn't hesitate to by another one.
I'm not trying to pick on you, but if you check the reviews on NewEgg, you can filter them for "All reviews", "Last 6 months", and "Last 2 weeks". Comparing those shows a sharp shift to the negative in the "egg" ratings in more recent days.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #1188
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
My email shows a 9 minutes older reply of yours that seems to have evaporated.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but if you check the reviews on NewEgg, you can filter them for "All reviews", "Last 6 months", and "Last 2 weeks". Comparing those shows a sharp shift to the negative in the "egg" ratings in more recent days.
I updated my original post thinking it was a bit too argumentative. I get what you're saying but I still stand by what I said in my last and earlier posts. I'm confident that folks are capable of making up their own minds.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #1189
unitron

Quote:
I updated my original post thinking it was a bit too argumentative. I get what you're saying but I still stand by what I said in my last and earlier posts. I'm confident that folks are capable of making up their own minds.
I ain't tellin' 'em what to do, I'm mentioning what they might want to take into consideration when they decide for themselves what to do.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #1190
vinylb

I just bought a Premiere and after much struggle got Comcast to pair up my cablecard. After that I ordered a Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 and followed procedures outlined in 1st post by Comer to copy the original drive.

Plugged in Tivo after assembly and noticed that i had about 467 hours of "best quality recording". I thought a 2tb after supersize could only get you about 312 hours. Am I missing something? Why is mine showing much more? Dont get me wrong, I love the extra space but cannot help but be suspicious.

btw thanks to ALL who have contributed and especially to Comer for such an easy process !!!!!

extra info : from all research I have done ANY new sata drive will work whether its 5400rpm, 5900rp, or 7200rpm. I chose this model due to heat factor. I know a lot has also been said about drives and failure of drives - if you look at newegg, there are a lot of DOA reviews, i believe these are associated with their older shipping methods of throwing into a box with brown paper. Last few drives I have received have all been boxed within another box and held in place by "cups" to hold the sides of the drive in place so its well protected. I only got the Seagate because i missed a deal on the WD drives everybody seems to use here and got this seagate for $69 with free shipping - I dont regret this purchase.

Last edited by vinylb : 09-03-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: further info
vinylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #1191
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylb View Post
I just bought a Premiere and after much struggle got Comcast to pair up my cablecard. After that I ordered a Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 and followed procedures outlined in 1st post by Comer to copy the original drive.

Plugged in Tivo after assembly and noticed that i had about 467 hours of "best quality recording". I thought a 2tb after supersize could only get you about 312 hours. Am I missing something? Why is mine showing much more? Dont get me wrong, I love the extra space but cannot help but be suspicious.

btw thanks to ALL who have contributed and especially to Comer for such an easy process !!!!!

extra info : from all research I have done ANY new sata drive will work whether its 5400rpm, 5900rp, or 7200rpm. I chose this model due to heat factor. I know a lot has also been said about drives and failure of drives - if you look at newegg, there are a lot of DOA reviews, i believe these are associated with their older shipping methods of throwing into a box with brown paper. Last few drives I have received have all been boxed within another box and held in place by "cups" to hold the sides of the drive in place so its well protected. I only got the Seagate because i missed a deal on the WD drives everybody seems to use here and got this seagate for $69 with free shipping - I dont regret this purchase.
Check the drive recording capacity in the "System Information" from the "Messages and Settings" on the Tivo Central Menu.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #1192
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron

That's why I always do an extended test before using a new drive.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #1193
lpwcomp

Quote:

The "quality" setting only applies to recordings made from analog channels, where the TiVo is converting to digital and compressing. "Best quality" has the least amount pf compression. A 2TB drive gives @318 hours of HD capacity. Since HD is digital, there is no conversion and the compression is done before the TiVo gets it. This is the case for all digital cable channels, not just the HD ones.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #1194
vinylb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Check the drive recording capacity in the "System Information" from the "Messages and Settings" on the Tivo Central Menu.
Checking that screen does show 316 hours - thanks!
vinylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #1195
kreskin

How do I upgrade a replacement Tivo to already upgraded Hard Drive?

Hello,

I purchased a Tivo Premiere earlier in the year an upgraded it to a 2TB WD 20EARS a few months later. The Tivo stopped working a few weeks later - apparently a power supply issue. I now have a replacement Tivo Premiere and want to upgrade to the WD hard drive. Has anyone had to do that before? Will I need to delete the prior information off of the hard drive and if so, how do I do that? I don't think I want to delete any of the power management features off of the hard drive. Also, are there any other steps I need to follow to make sure my upgrade is successful?

Thanks,

Jim
kreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #1196
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreskin View Post
Hello,

I purchased a Tivo Premiere earlier in the year an upgraded it to a 2TB WD 20EARS a few months later. The Tivo stopped working a few weeks later - apparently a power supply issue. I now have a replacement Tivo Premiere and want to upgrade to the WD hard drive. Has anyone had to do that before? Will I need to delete the prior information off of the hard drive and if so, how do I do that? I don't think I want to delete any of the power management features off of the hard drive. Also, are there any other steps I need to follow to make sure my upgrade is successful?

Thanks,

Jim
Are you sure the first Premiere's problem was power supply and not the hard drive going flaky?

If you still have both units have you tried swapping power supplies to see if the problem follows it?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #1197
kreskin

Quote:
Are you sure the first Premiere's problem was power supply and not the hard drive going flaky?

If you still have both units have you tried swapping power supplies to see if the problem follows it?
I'm not 100% certain it's not a hard drive issue, but when I put the OEM drive back in the malfunctioning Tivo, it would not get past the initial screen and then power down just like it did with the upgraded hard drive.

Thanks,

Jim
kreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #1198
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreskin View Post
Hello,

Jim
The following answers the original question, though unitron's post may be right about the power supply.

The 2TB WD drive should be tested with diagnostics software to make sure that is fully functional (I believe how to do so is in the FAQ)--this can take hours. If it passes fine, you can use it as the destination drive and the new Premier's hard drive as the source (just in case the problem was in the original Premiere drive somehow). There's no need to wipe what's on there now, it gets overwritten via the backup/restore process that JMFS uses.

There's no way to preserve the recordings or season passes from your current WD, you'll be starting from scratch with Guided Setup. However, you should allow your Premier to boot up with its original drive, get upgraded from TiVo (if any are available) and have the cable company successfully pair your CableCARD--you can even add your Season Passes and such. That way both your new 2TB drive and your backup original drive (keep that on a shelf) will already have the card paired and such. Any shows it records on the original drive will also get copied over to the new one.

You won't have to mess with the wdidle or AAM settings at all--those are saved on flash on the drive, not on the drive platters and will retain your previous settings.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #1199
BartonC

I've been watching WD drives die early deaths since as long as I can remember. Their use of WD drives is my only tick against TiVo.

I assume that "other" brands of drives will work for my plans to upgrade my Premier, is that so? Any recommendations there?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

BartonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #1200
BartonC

Love the Seagate Barracuda. The originals were amazingly quiet. Look at the reviews on the Green model, though, and you may find lots of complaints regarding sound levels.

Quote:
... I ordered a Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 ...

BartonC is offline   Reply With Quote