TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #1141
NickCat

After owning many TiVos over the years, since my first gen Phillips model, that was by far the easiest upgrade yet. Thank you comer, the six pack of Molson Ice is on me!

My XL is now rocking a WD20EURS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NickCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #1142
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
From all I know, 1T gives 145, 1.5T - 218, 2T - >250 hours of HD
for what it's worth, I just did this with a 1.5TB WD drive. It now shows 237 hrs HD or (wow) 2073 hrs SD.

The process took about 2-1/2 hrs to copy the original 320GB drive over, and seconds to expand/supersize. This is every bit as good as instant cake and better as it preserves shows, season pass, etc onto the new drive.
Beautiful work, thanks.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #1143
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Drive had been copying since Monday night and just finished now. 200K error bytes which I didn't think was bad. I installed the 2tB drive back in the Tivo and got the Welcome, powering up then after about 10 seconds a blank screen which doesn't go away. Tried booting a few times with same result. I did not run the msinfo or kickstart stuff as I didn't want to write to the defective drive. Since I started this the replacement and exact same 1.5tB WD15EADS drive arrived from WD. I have restarted the copy using this drive and I guess it will take another 3 days. I will report the results after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Disconnect the Windows drive.

Hook up the 1.5 and the 2.

Boot from the MFS Live cd.

fdisk -l (that's a lowercase L, not a 1)

will show you which drive is /dev/sda and which is /dev/sdb (it won't report the presence of partitions on the 1.5, because TiVo drives don't use a DOS-type partition map)

SHIFT + PAGE UP will take you back up through all that stuff that gets thrown on the screen before the command prompt loads, and you can see which drive is which there as well.

This is assuming that your optical drive (dvd/cd) shows up as /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd. If it's in the a or b position, no problem, just adjust my advice accordingly.

Assuming for the purposes of illustration that the 1.5 is sda and the 2 is sdb:

mfsinfo /dev/sda

to see if there's anything wrong with the MFS partitions.

(If so, you might want to run, on the TiVo, with the 1.5 in the TiVo, Kickstart 58 or 57)

pdisk -l

to see if the 1.5 is laid out properly

(remember, on Series 2 and above, one of the MFS partitions is put near the front of the drive, but the partition numbering system of the Series 1s is retained)

dd_rescue -b 512 -B 1 -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

will copy the source (/dev/sda) to the target (/dev/sdb)

The syntax for dd_rescue is

command options source target

dd_rescue -?

will show you all (as far as I know) of the available options, most of which you want to avoid in this instance.

The soft block size (-b) default is 65536, and the hard block size to which it falls back and tries again in case of errors (-B) is 512

In this instance we're setting the soft size to a single sector (512 bytes) and the hard size to only a single byte.

That means it'll take forever (like at least overnight), but it gives you a better chance at a good copy.

What is the model number of the 1.5 and what is the brand and model number of the 2?

I ask because I'm not sure if the whole 512 byte sector versus the new "advanced format" 4096 (4K) byte sector situation will be a factor in any of this or not, and I'm seeking to acquire anecdotal "evidence".

Chances are good that the replacement for the 1.5 from WD will be one of their new 4K drives.

As far as I know dd_rescue automatically makes the source drive read-only, so if the copy operation leaves you with a 2TB drive that doesn't work in the TiVo, the 1.5 will be just like it was before and you can erase the 2 TB with

dd_rescue -v /dev/zero /dev/sda

WHERE THE 2TB DRIVE IS THE ONLY ONE HOOKED UP, AND THEREFORE IS /dev/sda !!!!!

Although

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024k count=1024

will wipe out any partition table, and that's usually good enough to let you re-use the drive for whatever. It should run and be finished in about a minute or so with the block size and count I put in.

The -v option for dd_rescue makes it a blabbermouth and lets you see what's going on.

dd, on the other hand, works in deadly silence, and tells you nothing until it's finished.

hdparm -i /dev/sd"whatever"

will give you information on the hard drive at "whatever", including brand, model number, and serial number, which can come in handy if one were to have 2 or more of the same size drives hooked up at the same time.

TivoHD 1.5TB lifetime
Tivo Premiere XL lifetime
Tivo Premiere Elite XL4
ed08724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #1144
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Wow, 2TB/317 HD hours, that was the easiest Tivo upgrade I've ever done.
Thank you, Comer.

The hardest part was waiting for two days after realizing that I didn't have a spare sata data cable after I had everything taken apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
So that's what you used for the extra drive?? I'm trying to figure out which way I want to do an upgrade. a USB external drive, or a cable. have a link to the cable you used Scandia?
I didn't add a second drive, I replaced the OEM drive with a 2TB drive. I needed a second sata data cable in order to connect both drives to my pc.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #1145
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

After my 90 days I plan to upgrade the HDD, here are the drives I am considering, any particular one I should go with or is there a better model. Price is not really a major factor, I just want the best most compatible HDD, and don't really want the Caviar Green series. I'd prefer the Caviar Black but am afraid it would get to hot, they run about 110-140F without a heat-sink.

Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS 1TB 32MB Cache
Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURS 1TB 64MB Cache

Western Digital AV-GP WD15EVDS 1.5TB 32MB Cache
Western Digital AV-GP WD15EURS 1.5TB 64MB Cache

Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB 64MB Cache

Any other manufactures/models I should consider besides WD?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #1146
lpwcomp

Well, I'm quite happy with my WD10EARS, but price was a definite consideration in my case. I had to go with the least expensive option that I considered quiet enough, cool enough, and robust enough to be a viable option for a TiVo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #1147
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
After my 90 days I plan to upgrade the HDD, here are the drives I am considering, any particular one I should go with or is there a better model. Price is not really a major factor, I just want the best most compatible HDD, and don't really want the Caviar Green series. I'd prefer the Caviar Black but am afraid it would get to hot, they run about 110-140F without a heat-sink.

Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS 1TB 32MB Cache
Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURS 1TB 64MB Cache

Western Digital AV-GP WD15EVDS 1.5TB 32MB Cache
Western Digital AV-GP WD15EURS 1.5TB 64MB Cache

Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB 64MB Cache

Any other manufactures/models I should consider besides WD?
Any of those drives should work fine. TiVo comes with a WD GP ("green") hard drive and can't take advantage of faster drives or drives with more cache and as you pointed out, heat is always a consideration.

There's really no reason to go with anything less than 2TB's if you have a TiVo HD, HDXL, Premiere or Premiere XL as the price difference isn't that great.

As lpwcomp mentions, you could also consider WD's EARS series of drives. The only difference between the EARS and the A/V series drives you've listed (as far as TiVo is concerned) is that the A/V drive's AAM is set to the quietest setting (128 Vs 254). Although it's quiet out of the box you should be able to use hdparm (included on the jmfs program) to adjust the AAM on an EARS drive to 128.

Those are the drives a majority of folks are using. However a few have successfully installed Samsung and Hitachi "green" drives but they haven't been in service (or even on the market) long enough to warrant a recommendation. Might be something to considered if you didn't want to use a WD drive for some reason.

Happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 08-24-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #1148
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

This seems to have worked fine copying to the same size 1.5tb drive. Old previously unplayable shows are now playable. As mentioned previously it did not work copying to a 2tb drive.
Thanks!

Quote:
Disconnect the Windows drive.

Hook up the 1.5 and the 2.

Boot from the MFS Live cd.

fdisk -l (that's a lowercase L, not a 1)

will show you which drive is /dev/sda and which is /dev/sdb (it won't report the presence of partitions on the 1.5, because TiVo drives don't use a DOS-type partition map)

SHIFT + PAGE UP will take you back up through all that stuff that gets thrown on the screen before the command prompt loads, and you can see which drive is which there as well.

This is assuming that your optical drive (dvd/cd) shows up as /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd. If it's in the a or b position, no problem, just adjust my advice accordingly.

Assuming for the purposes of illustration that the 1.5 is sda and the 2 is sdb:

mfsinfo /dev/sda

to see if there's anything wrong with the MFS partitions.

(If so, you might want to run, on the TiVo, with the 1.5 in the TiVo, Kickstart 58 or 57)

pdisk -l

to see if the 1.5 is laid out properly

(remember, on Series 2 and above, one of the MFS partitions is put near the front of the drive, but the partition numbering system of the Series 1s is retained)

dd_rescue -b 512 -B 1 -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

will copy the source (/dev/sda) to the target (/dev/sdb)

The syntax for dd_rescue is

command options source target

dd_rescue -?

will show you all (as far as I know) of the available options, most of which you want to avoid in this instance.

The soft block size (-b) default is 65536, and the hard block size to which it falls back and tries again in case of errors (-B) is 512

In this instance we're setting the soft size to a single sector (512 bytes) and the hard size to only a single byte.

That means it'll take forever (like at least overnight), but it gives you a better chance at a good copy.

What is the model number of the 1.5 and what is the brand and model number of the 2?

I ask because I'm not sure if the whole 512 byte sector versus the new "advanced format" 4096 (4K) byte sector situation will be a factor in any of this or not, and I'm seeking to acquire anecdotal "evidence".

Chances are good that the replacement for the 1.5 from WD will be one of their new 4K drives.

As far as I know dd_rescue automatically makes the source drive read-only, so if the copy operation leaves you with a 2TB drive that doesn't work in the TiVo, the 1.5 will be just like it was before and you can erase the 2 TB with

dd_rescue -v /dev/zero /dev/sda

WHERE THE 2TB DRIVE IS THE ONLY ONE HOOKED UP, AND THEREFORE IS /dev/sda !!!!!

Although

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024k count=1024

will wipe out any partition table, and that's usually good enough to let you re-use the drive for whatever. It should run and be finished in about a minute or so with the block size and count I put in.

The -v option for dd_rescue makes it a blabbermouth and lets you see what's going on.

dd, on the other hand, works in deadly silence, and tells you nothing until it's finished.

hdparm -i /dev/sd"whatever"

will give you information on the hard drive at "whatever", including brand, model number, and serial number, which can come in handy if one were to have 2 or more of the same size drives hooked up at the same time.

TivoHD 1.5TB lifetime
Tivo Premiere Elite XL4
Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #1149
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed08724 View Post
This seems to have worked fine copying to the same size 1.5tb drive. Old previously unplayable shows are now playable. As mentioned previously it did not work copying to a 2tb drive.
Thanks!
Good news! So do you think there was an issue with that specific 2TB drive? Otherwise it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't work.

In any case...enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #1150
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed08724 View Post
Thanks!
If I'd known you were going to wind up going another drive of the same size, I'd have suggested dd_rescue's -r option as well.

That's where it starts at the end, and works toward the front, which obviously only works on drives of the same size.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #1151
yoheidiho

Any thoughts on the new WD EARX drives?
yoheidiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #1152
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoheidiho View Post
Any thoughts on the new WD EARX drives?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...65#post8672565
Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #1153
PocoDiablo

Ok, so what am I doing wrong here?

I have two of the WD WD10EVDS drives. I unplug my Windows HDD and plug in my Tivo Premiere original drive and the WD10EVDS into the 1st and 2nd SATA ports. I am using the software indicated at the start of this thread. I boot up, select copy, and it presents me with TWO drives (one with a serial number label, one that does NOT have a label, but they are BOTH the same 1TB drive ...) and I select one. The software does its thing. After 15-60 minutes it stops copying and tells me it has an error. Right now it says there is an error of 1001k. Should I just wait?

I've tried both the first version of the drive (/dev/sda) and the second version of the drive (/dev/sdc) and they both have errors.

I have tried this with both drives. Same deal.

What's up?
PocoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #1154
PocoDiablo

Update, it seems to be done, but now it has 242GB of bad data which is says it is trimming. I'll update if I really lost that capacity.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #1155
lpwcomp

You don't by any chance have some kind of RAID setting enabled?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #1156
PocoDiablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You don't by any chance have some kind of RAID setting enabled?
Nope. I'm an IT guy and this computer is 100% plain vanilla setup. Now it says it's splitting blocks. For the past few hours.

Sucks to be me, oh well.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #1157
PocoDiablo

I let it run overnight, and it still says "splitting failed blocks" with 242GB of errors. I guess it's stuck.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #1158
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocoDiablo View Post
I let it run overnight, and it still says "splitting failed blocks" with 242GB of errors. I guess it's stuck.

Any suggestions?
Do you have another computer you could try? I am not an "IT" type at all but have done the procedure 3 times using 2 different computers(both pretty ancient). And although it's been a few months since doing them, each time there was no confusion in identifying either of the drives(that I recall). When connected to the motherboard, JMFS clearly recognized and identified the source Tivo drive, and any available "targets".

Of the 3 target drives I used, 2 were used and one was new. No errors were reported on either drive by prior manufacturer's diagnostics, and confirmed by JMFS. The copy/expand/supersizing processes were all uneventful and completed without complications.

Your prior posts on the "confusion" experienced when the drives were connected and the ensuing problems may indicate something was not quite right. Maybe you need to tweak some settings in the bios, or try switching sata ports, or again, try another computer, if available.

Also, have you run manufacturers diagnostics on your target drives? I always do this, even on brand new drives, so as to know the drives are (supposedly) not defective going in to the process. Same for the source Tivo drive(I'm beginning to think this may ultimately prove to be the problem).

Lastly, make sure you are using the most recent version of JMFS(rev 104 as I recall).

Good luck.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 08-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #1159
PocoDiablo

Thanks for the comments dwit. I have just put my PC back to normal and put one of the new drives in as a second drive and Windows 7 is recognizing it as TWO drives as well. I've never seen anything like this.

I'm going to look for some WD tools, this has to be a setup issue with the drives.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #1160
PocoDiablo

Okay, dwit thank you. I found some diagnostic tools from WD and ran it on one of the drives. The second "ghost" drive suddenly disappeared from the Windows Drive Management tool and now I am formatting it NTFS. Once that is done I'll try the process again with the other drive, and then try my upgrade.

I've never seen this before, so weird.

Link to the tool:

http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...&sid=3&lang=en
Old 08-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #1161
richsadams

Quote:
Okay, dwit thank you. I found some diagnostic tools from WD and ran it on one of the drives. The second "ghost" drive suddenly disappeared from the Windows Drive Management tool and now I am formatting it NTFS. Once that is done I'll try the process again with the other drive, and then try my upgrade.

I've never seen this before, so weird.

Link to the tool:

http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...&sid=3&lang=en
There's no need to format the new drive (to NTFS or anything else) as jmfs will handle that. Did you connect the new drive (or the TiVo drive) to your computer and use Windows management to recognize it in the first place?

I'm with dwit, I've never heard of anything like what you're experiencing in about a decade of performing upgrades. It could have something to do with your computer's BIOS settings. In any case, keep both drives away from Windows completely (particularly the TiVo drive) it will cause you nothing but grief. As you did, I always disconnect my Windows OS drive when performing an upgrade (unless I'm using winMFS). The jmfs program is dead simple and you shouldn't have any issues. I know that's not helpful, but if you're doing anything at all outside of the instructions/faq you won't get the desired outcome.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #1162
PocoDiablo

Rich, you're spot on, I've never seen anything like this in about 25 years of messing with computers, and when I upgraded my Series 3 HD Tivo it went smoothly. No BIOS settings were changed. So here is the update.

The WD software seemed to fix the "double drive" issue. After formatting it to NTFS I put the original Tivo drive and the new WD drive back in the PC, ran jmfs and it worked properly this time. It saw only ONE new drive and proceeded to perform the upgrade quickly and without error. I then expanded it, then supersized it, then did the quiet parms, and then ran wdidle3 on it.

I then put the new drive back into my Premiere and started it up, and Tivo showed me the nice "Welcome starting up" and then "Just a few minutes" screens.

And now it's on with just a black screen and is not responding to the remote. I have the bluetooth slide remote, and the regular remote, and neither seem to be responding.

Le sigh. I'm sure there's a topic about this somewhere, but it's Friday night so I am going to have a few drinks and tackle this tomorrow. If anyone is kind enough to point me in the new right direction, I'd be very thankful!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #1163
richsadams

Well...that's progress. Try disconnecting everything except your TV, plugging TiVo directly into the wall (if you're using a UPS - recommended - or a surge protector - not recommended) and try rebooting it again a few times. There are quite a few reports of having to try the initial boot several times before it takes for some reason.

Tuning adapters, even TiVo WiFi adapters and Ethernet connections sometimes have an impact on the initial boot up so removing them from the mix and having a clean power source has helped on occasion.

As far as the drive issues...just weird.

Have a drink on me...you deserve it!

P.S. Nice Pepe LePew reference.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #1164
PocoDiablo

Update - I pulled the power cord and restarted and now Tivo is working. Success! Thanks to all who helped.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #1165
richsadams

Quote:
Update - I pulled the power cord and restarted and now Tivo is working. Success! Thanks to all who helped.
Phew! Sweet! Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #1166
PocoDiablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Phew! Sweet! Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
I am enjoying it with a Long Island Ice Tea (special recipe, ala me. ) and thanks again!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #1167
lpwcomp

Quote:
I am enjoying it with a Long Island Ice Tea (special recipe, ala me. ) and thanks again!

The only thing I can figure is that the partition map on the destination drive was bollixed up in such a way that it was seen as two logical drives and that running the WD tools fixed it.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #1168
True Colors

Help needed please.

I have a Dell Optiplex 760. It is 2 years old. 3.0 Ghz, dual core.

I removed the hard drive from my computer. I took the power cable and SATA cable that were connected to that drive and I connected them to the hard drive that I pulled out of my Tivo premiere.

I left my computer case open. There are a couple of open SATA ports on the mother board. I used a SATA cable to connect an open port to a new, blank hard drive(2 TB). I also connect a power cable to this new 2 TB drive.

For some reason, Comer's application does not recognize my new blank drive. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to adjust my BIOS, or something else?

Many thanks,

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #1169
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

I wouldn't consider it a "new" tivo just a repaired old one. I copied a defective 1.5tb drive to a new 1.5tb drive so have no more capacity then I did before. Both jmfs and WinMFS do not think either the original or copied drive are tivo drives so that somewhat concerns me even though it does seem to work fine in the tivoHD. The 2tb drive was installed into a premiere and I used jmfs to copy, expand, supersize and it seems to be working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Good news! So do you think there was an issue with that specific 2TB drive? Otherwise it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't work.

In any case...enjoy your "new" TiVo!

TivoHD 1.5TB lifetime
Tivo Premiere Elite XL4
Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #1170
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

What is the benefit of copying backwards. I remember reading a post about this previously but have been unable to find it.
Thanks for your help and glad to have my programs back.

Quote:
If I'd known you were going to wind up going another drive of the same size, I'd have suggested dd_rescue's -r option as well.

That's where it starts at the end, and works toward the front, which obviously only works on drives of the same size.

TivoHD 1.5TB lifetime
Tivo Premiere Elite XL4