TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #1111
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Hopefully your drive will last long enough for you to upgrade, but I wouldn't waste any time doing so.
I assume that you actually meant that he shouldn't delay doing the upgrade. The way you phrased it could be misconstrued as saying he shouldn't bother.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #1112
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I assume that you actually meant that he shouldn't delay doing the upgrade. The way you phrased it could be misconstrued as saying he shouldn't bother.
Ah, yes...do it now is what I meant.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #1113
unitron

Quote:
Ah, yes...do it now is what I meant.
As Mammy Yokum would have said, "time's a wastin'!"

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #1114
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
As Mammy Yokum would have said, "time's a wastin'!"
Just be sure and stay away from the Kickapoo Joy Juice until you're done. And don't let Joe Btfsplk anywhere near.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #1115
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Thanks for the help. I tried your suggestion from the other thread but jmfs said it didin't see any Tivo drives. I then ran WD Diags so I could get an advanced RMA on the drive. I ran the quick test which failed. It then asked if I wanted to do a full media scan which I thought was just a read test but it ran for 20 hours and said it repaired the drive. Quick test still fails and when put back into my TivoHD it get stuck in a reboot loop which it didn't before. So I would assume the drive is totally trashed now so I need to start from scratch. I tried to located the popular Broflovski TivoHD 2gb image that but I see he is no longer offering it. How can I get either that image or any image that I can expand on a non XL TivoHD to get 2gb. Thanks

Quote:
You should be able to use your existing drive to upgrade to a 2TB drive with jmfs for the TiVo HD (not the one in the first post of this thread as the process is slightly different):

An exact copy (using dd or ddrescue) may or may not work as you point out, when it hits bad sectors it may hang. Hopefully your drive will last long enough for you to upgrade, but I wouldn't waste any time doing so.

Happy upgrading and let us know how it goes!

ed08724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #1116
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed08724 View Post
I then ran WD Diags so I could get an advanced RMA on the drive. I ran the quick test which failed. It then asked if I wanted to do a full media scan which I thought was just a read test but it ran for 20 hours and said it repaired the drive. Quick test still fails
I'd RMA the drive to WD. No need messing with it if the basic hardware is flaky.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #1117
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I tried your suggestion from the other thread but jmfs said it didin't see any Tivo drives. I then ran WD Diags so I could get an advanced RMA on the drive. I ran the quick test which failed. It then asked if I wanted to do a full media scan which I thought was just a read test but it ran for 20 hours and said it repaired the drive. Quick test still fails and when put back into my TivoHD it get stuck in a reboot loop which it didn't before. So I would assume the drive is totally trashed now so I need to start from scratch. I tried to located the popular Broflovski TivoHD 2gb image that but I see he is no longer offering it. How can I get either that image or any image that I can expand on a non XL TivoHD to get 2gb. Thanks
How are you connecting your TiVo drive to your computer? There's no reason jmfs shouldn't/wouldn't see it if it's connected unless there's a BIOS setting issue (allowing some or all of your SATA ports to be read...if that's how it's connected). The old Broflovski image is a pain compared to jmfs. I think it's just a matter of ensuring that your drive(s) are connected properly.

As you found out, WD's "quick test" is non-destructive, unlike the extended test(s).

Keep us posted!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #1118
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
As you found out, WD's "quick test" is non-destructive, unlike the extended test(s).

Keep us posted!
The WDC DLG for Windows also has a non-destructive extended option, I'm running it on my 2TB WDC green right now.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #1119
unitron

Quote:
If a brand new WD drive failed WD's own quick test, well, that's what warranties are for. Don't waste any time trying to heal it.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #1120
richsadams

Quote:
If a brand new WD drive failed WD's own quick test, well, that's what warranties are for. Don't waste any time trying to heal it.
+1 Although a drive can pass a quick test but fail an extended test.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #1121
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
I'd RMA the drive to WD. No need messing with it if the basic hardware is flaky.
Yes that was the whole point of this. I did an advance RMA where they ship the replacement drive first so I still have so time with the old drive.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #1122
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Quote:
It is not a brand new drive it is about 2 years old. I am having it replaced by an advanced RMA, they ship the replacement drive first. I am trying to save the 200+ hours of programs and cable card setup. Comcast typically doesn't show up for weeks here.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #1123
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Quote:
How are you connecting your TiVo drive to your computer? There's no reason jmfs shouldn't/wouldn't see it if it's connected unless there's a BIOS setting issue (allowing some or all of your SATA ports to be read...if that's how it's connected). The old Broflovski image is a pain compared to jmfs. I think it's just a matter of ensuring that your drive(s) are connected properly.

Keep us posted!
After leaving it on the Tivo for a few hours I turned the TV back on and it had started up and at least some of the programs are viewable. I then shut down the Tivo and put the drive back into a computer and it still doesn't see the drive as a Tivo drive. I do not have a drive to copy to yet. I ordered a new 2tB and also will get the 1.5tB replaced from WD. I was just making sure I had all the right connections to do the job which I do. The drive is connected directly to the motherboard and another drive connected to the same connection boots into Windows 7 w/o the jmfs CD in. I am downloading a KNOPPIX DVD image now with dd restore and will try that if I can figure it out. It sounded complicated from the googles I looked at.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #1124
lpwcomp

Quote:
I am trying to save the 200+ hours of programs and cable card setup. Comcast typically doesn't show up for weeks here.
While this won't help with the lost programming, you should be able to self-install your CableCARD. They have to allow this now, inform you of that option, and provide an m-card, no more single stream cards.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #1125
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
While this won't help with the lost programming, you should be able to self-install your CableCARD. They have to allow this now, inform you of that option, and provide an m-card, no more single stream cards.
I called yesterday and after holding for over 30 minutes to talk to anyone was told they would have to come out and I scheduled it for 9/1/2011 but hoping I will have to cancel it by then.
TivoHD 1.5TB lifetime
Tivo Premiere XL lifetime
Tivo Premiere Elite XL4
Old 08-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #1126
unitron

Quote:
It is not a brand new drive it is about 2 years old. I am having it replaced by an advanced RMA, they ship the replacement drive first. I am trying to save the 200+ hours of programs and cable card setup. Comcast typically doesn't show up for weeks here.
If the drives are the same size you can use dd+rescue, set -b to 512 and -B to 1 to get it to copy more slowly and with fewer errors (and maybe use -r to get it to start at the end of the drives and work backwards. Sometimes it's better to let it sneak up on the problems at the front of the drive.).

If after doing that the new drive doesn't work out, restore an image to it.

That'll likely wipe out your cable card settings and other stuff, but might leave your recordings intact.

Or you could image restore it, and then use dd_rescue to overwrite your new MFS partitions with the old ones on the problem drive.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #1127
L David Matheny

Quote:
After leaving it on the Tivo for a few hours I turned the TV back on and it had started up and at least some of the programs are viewable. I then shut down the Tivo and put the drive back into a computer and it still doesn't see the drive as a Tivo drive. I do not have a drive to copy to yet. I ordered a new 2tB and also will get the 1.5tB replaced from WD. I was just making sure I had all the right connections to do the job which I do. The drive is connected directly to the motherboard and another drive connected to the same connection boots into Windows 7 w/o the jmfs CD in. I am downloading a KNOPPIX DVD image now with dd restore and will try that if I can figure it out. It sounded complicated from the googles I looked at.
This may already have been covered, but I think sometimes drives may be seen or not seen depending on whether the disk controller is set to IDE or AHCI in the BIOS. If there's a setting for that, you might try changing it to see if that lets your computer see the drive. The required setting might be different depending on which OS you're trying to boot.

Also, if you think the drive is failing, it might be wise to avoid keeping it powered up too much until you have another drive to copy your data onto. Good luck.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #1128
unitron

Quote:
The MFS Live v1.4 cd has dd_rescue and some other handy stuff, like hdparm, pdisk, fdisk, and the MFS tools including mfsinfo. I use it for all kinds of stuff, not just TiVo stuff.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #1129
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Quote:
The MFS Live v1.4 cd has dd_rescue and some other handy stuff, like hdparm, pdisk, fdisk, and the MFS tools including mfsinfo. I use it for all kinds of stuff, not just TiVo stuff.
OK Thanks I will give it a try. I have zero linux experience. I downloaded the MFS Live 1.4 and burned a CD and booted off it. The drives are not the same. The source is the 1.5tb WD with errors and the dest is a 2tb WD. I don't care if I can only see 1.5tb of it for now. I will watch the shows and then wipe it if I have to. Can you give me an exact dd_rescue command to use. Thanks.
TivoHD 1.5TB lifetime
Tivo Premiere Elite XL4
Old 08-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #1130
richsadams

Quote:
Okay, I understand a little better now. However I'm still not sure about what you mean by your computer doesn't "recognize" the TiVo drive. If you mean your computer doesn't recognize your TiVo drive when you boot into Windows that's exactly as it should be, it won't (and you should absolutely not do anything to get it to).

If you mean you're booting into jmfs and it's not recognizing the TiVo drive then that's a different story. Try doing this...put the jmfs CD into your optical drive and shut down your computer. Disconnect your Windows hard drive and use that SATA and power connection to connect your TiVo drive. Boot up your computer (into jmfs) and see if it doesn't recognize the TiVo drive.

Also, as David mentions, it could easily be a BIOS issue. What kind of computer do you have? Do you know what kind of motherboard it has? (Sorry if you've already posted that info...too many to keep up with sometimes.)

Or maybe I've misunderstood completely...wouldn't be the first time.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #1131
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Quote:
Okay, I understand a little better now. However I'm still not sure about what you mean by your computer doesn't "recognize" the TiVo drive. If you mean your computer doesn't recognize your TiVo drive when you boot into Windows that's exactly as it should be, it won't (and you should absolutely not do anything to get it to).

If you mean you're booting into jmfs and it's not recognizing the TiVo drive then that's a different story. Try doing this...put the jmfs CD into your optical drive and shut down your computer. Disconnect your Windows hard drive and use that SATA and power connection to connect your TiVo drive. Boot up your computer (into jmfs) and see if it doesn't recognize the TiVo drive.

Also, as David mentions, it could easily be a BIOS issue. What kind of computer do you have? Do you know what kind of motherboard it has? (Sorry if you've already posted that info...too many to keep up with sometimes.)

Or maybe I've misunderstood completely...wouldn't be the first time.
jmfs says it does not see a Tivo drive. I bought the drive pre imaged for TivoHD off ebay years a go so have no idea how it got to that size. Maybe an totally different format. The computer is a Gateway with a Gateway motherboard. MFS Live seems to display some info using hdparm /dev/sda. There is no setting in the BIOS for that. I put the drive into a Dell GX620 and tried both the normal and combination modes for SATA and jmfs gave the same no Tivo drive error message. As soon as the 2tb drive arrives Monday I will try to dd_rescue copy the drive. I still need 2 things. The exact dd_rescue command syntax and a TivoHD image to go back to if the copied drive does not work. I no longer have the original TivoHD drive.
TivoHD 1.5TB lifetime
Tivo Premiere Elite XL4
Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #1132
unitron

Quote:
jmfs says it does not see a Tivo drive. I bought the drive pre imaged for TivoHD off ebay years a go so have no idea how it got to that size. Maybe an totally different format. The computer is a Gateway with a Gateway motherboard. MFS Live seems to display some info using hdparm /dev/sda. There is no setting in the BIOS for that. I put the drive into a Dell GX620 and tried both the normal and combination modes for SATA and jmfs gave the same no Tivo drive error message. As soon as the 2tb drive arrives Monday I will try to dd_rescue copy the drive. I still need 2 things. The exact dd_rescue command syntax and a TivoHD image to go back to if the copied drive does not work. I no longer have the original TivoHD drive.
Okay so you have a WD 1.5 that's failing.

WD is sending you a replacement in advance, and later you'll send them the failing drive.

Is the replacement they are sending also going to be a 1.5?

Are you separately buying a 2TB?

Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #1133
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Quote:
Okay so you have a WD 1.5 that's failing.

WD is sending you a replacement in advance, and later you'll send them the failing drive.

Is the replacement they are sending also going to be a 1.5?

Are you separately buying a 2TB?
I would assume the drive they are sending will also be a 1.5. I had already ordered a 2tb drive before I found out the 1.5 was still in warranty. I will stick the 1.5 in my premiere. The 2tb will be here Monday. No idea on the 1.5 replacement.
TivoHD 1.5TB lifetime
Tivo Premiere Elite XL4
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #1134
unitron

Quote:
I would assume the drive they are sending will also be a 1.5. I had already ordered a 2tb drive before I found out the 1.5 was still in warranty. I will stick the 1.5 in my premiere. The 2tb will be here Monday. No idea on the 1.5 replacement.
Disconnect the Windows drive.

Hook up the 1.5 and the 2.

Boot from the MFS Live cd.

fdisk -l (that's a lowercase L, not a 1)

will show you which drive is /dev/sda and which is /dev/sdb (it won't report the presence of partitions on the 1.5, because TiVo drives don't use a DOS-type partition map)

SHIFT + PAGE UP will take you back up through all that stuff that gets thrown on the screen before the command prompt loads, and you can see which drive is which there as well.

This is assuming that your optical drive (dvd/cd) shows up as /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd. If it's in the a or b position, no problem, just adjust my advice accordingly.

Assuming for the purposes of illustration that the 1.5 is sda and the 2 is sdb:

mfsinfo /dev/sda

to see if there's anything wrong with the MFS partitions.

(If so, you might want to run, on the TiVo, with the 1.5 in the TiVo, Kickstart 58 or 57)

pdisk -l

to see if the 1.5 is laid out properly

(remember, on Series 2 and above, one of the MFS partitions is put near the front of the drive, but the partition numbering system of the Series 1s is retained)

dd_rescue -b 512 -B 1 -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

will copy the source (/dev/sda) to the target (/dev/sdb)

The syntax for dd_rescue is

command options source target

dd_rescue -?

will show you all (as far as I know) of the available options, most of which you want to avoid in this instance.

The soft block size (-b) default is 65536, and the hard block size to which it falls back and tries again in case of errors (-B) is 512

In this instance we're setting the soft size to a single sector (512 bytes) and the hard size to only a single byte.

That means it'll take forever (like at least overnight), but it gives you a better chance at a good copy.

What is the model number of the 1.5 and what is the brand and model number of the 2?

I ask because I'm not sure if the whole 512 byte sector versus the new "advanced format" 4096 (4K) byte sector situation will be a factor in any of this or not, and I'm seeking to acquire anecdotal "evidence".

Chances are good that the replacement for the 1.5 from WD will be one of their new 4K drives.

As far as I know dd_rescue automatically makes the source drive read-only, so if the copy operation leaves you with a 2TB drive that doesn't work in the TiVo, the 1.5 will be just like it was before and you can erase the 2 TB with

dd_rescue -v /dev/zero /dev/sda

WHERE THE 2TB DRIVE IS THE ONLY ONE HOOKED UP, AND THEREFORE IS /dev/sda !!!!!

Although

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024k count=1024

will wipe out any partition table, and that's usually good enough to let you re-use the drive for whatever. It should run and be finished in about a minute or so with the block size and count I put in.

The -v option for dd_rescue makes it a blabbermouth and lets you see what's going on.

dd, on the other hand, works in deadly silence, and tells you nothing until it's finished.

hdparm -i /dev/sd"whatever"

will give you information on the hard drive at "whatever", including brand, model number, and serial number, which can come in handy if one were to have 2 or more of the same size drives hooked up at the same time.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #1135
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Quote:
Disconnect the Windows drive.

Hook up the 1.5 and the 2.

Boot from the MFS Live cd.

fdisk -l (that's a lowercase L, not a 1)

will show you which drive is /dev/sda and which is /dev/sdb (it won't report the presence of partitions on the 1.5, because TiVo drives don't use a DOS-type partition map)

SHIFT + PAGE UP will take you back up through all that stuff that gets thrown on the screen before the command prompt loads, and you can see which drive is which there as well.

This is assuming that your optical drive (dvd/cd) shows up as /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd. If it's in the a or b position, no problem, just adjust my advice accordingly.

Assuming for the purposes of illustration that the 1.5 is sda and the 2 is sdb:

mfsinfo /dev/sda

to see if there's anything wrong with the MFS partitions.

(If so, you might want to run, on the TiVo, with the 1.5 in the TiVo, Kickstart 58 or 57)

pdisk -l

to see if the 1.5 is laid out properly

(remember, on Series 2 and above, one of the MFS partitions is put near the front of the drive, but the partition numbering system of the Series 1s is retained)

dd_rescue -b 512 -B 1 -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

will copy the source (/dev/sda) to the target (/dev/sdb)

The syntax for dd_rescue is

command options source target

dd_rescue -?

will show you all (as far as I know) of the available options, most of which you want to avoid in this instance.

The soft block size (-b) default is 65536, and the hard block size to which it falls back and tries again in case of errors (-B) is 512

In this instance we're setting the soft size to a single sector (512 bytes) and the hard size to only a single byte.

That means it'll take forever (like at least overnight), but it gives you a better chance at a good copy.

What is the model number of the 1.5 and what is the brand and model number of the 2?

I ask because I'm not sure if the whole 512 byte sector versus the new "advanced format" 4096 (4K) byte sector situation will be a factor in any of this or not, and I'm seeking to acquire anecdotal "evidence".

Chances are good that the replacement for the 1.5 from WD will be one of their new 4K drives.

As far as I know dd_rescue automatically makes the source drive read-only, so if the copy operation leaves you with a 2TB drive that doesn't work in the TiVo, the 1.5 will be just like it was before and you can erase the 2 TB with

dd_rescue -v /dev/zero /dev/sda

WHERE THE 2TB DRIVE IS THE ONLY ONE HOOKED UP, AND THEREFORE IS /dev/sda !!!!!

Although

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024k count=1024

will wipe out any partition table, and that's usually good enough to let you re-use the drive for whatever. It should run and be finished in about a minute or so with the block size and count I put in.

The -v option for dd_rescue makes it a blabbermouth and lets you see what's going on.

dd, on the other hand, works in deadly silence, and tells you nothing until it's finished.

hdparm -i /dev/sd"whatever"

will give you information on the hard drive at "whatever", including brand, model number, and serial number, which can come in handy if one were to have 2 or more of the same size drives hooked up at the same time.
Wow! Lots of great info. My current drive is a WD15EADS and the new drive from Newegg is WD20EURS. I will give it a try Monday when the new drive gets here and post the results. Any idea where I can get a TivoHD image so if it fails I can start from scratch?
Thanks
TivoHD 1.5TB lifetime
Tivo Premiere Elite XL4
Old 08-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #1136
unitron

Quote:
Wow! Lots of great info. My current drive is a WD15EADS and the new drive from Newegg is WD20EURS. I will give it a try Monday when the new drive gets here and post the results. Any idea where I can get a TivoHD image so if it fails I can start from scratch?
Thanks
Can't help you with an image, don't own anything newer than the S2 dual tuner yet, but I've seen several people selling your model on Craigslist for $50.

If you got one of those you'd have a drive with an image and a spare power supply.

The EADS is a regular 512 byte sector drive, the EURS, like the 2TB EACS* and EARS, is an "advanced format" 4K sector drive, but I don't know if it makes difference to TiVo or not, or if it does, in which instances it would.

*I've got an older WD10EACS 1TB model, and it's not 4K, but the 2TB WD20EACS is.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #1137
lpwcomp

Quote:
I called yesterday and after holding for over 30 minutes to talk to anyone was told they would have to come out and I scheduled it for 9/1/2011 but hoping I will have to cancel it by then.
Call them back or chat with them and tell them that if they continue to insist on a professional installation of a CableCARD, you will be filing a complaint with the FCC. If you do it by chat, save the transcript.

As of August 8, delayed from August 1, the following rules apply:

1. If a cable operator allows self-install of any equipment, they must allow self-install of CableCARDs.

2. They must inform customers of this option.

3. All newly provided CableCARDs must be m-cards.

BTW, I have sent feedback to Comcast asking them why some of their locales and their website still insist that CableCARDs require a professional installation.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #1138
chalooch101

tivo premiere backup file

is there a way to make a truncated backup of the tivo premiere in case the hard drive dies?
chalooch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #1139
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalooch101 View Post
is there a way to make a truncated backup of the tivo premiere in case the hard drive dies?
No. WinMfs truncated backup does not work on the Premiere. As of now, only doing the full copy with JMFS is the only thing that works on the Premiere.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #1140
richsadams

Quote:
You can use WinMfs to make a truncated backup. If you are suggesting this for my problem, not sure I would feel comfortable using a truncated backup from my bad drive.
http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/
dwit is correct, unfortunately winMfS does not work with TiVo Series4 (Premiere/Premiere XL) for truncated backups or anything else.