TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #1081
ducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Wow, 2TB/317 HD hours, that was the easiest Tivo upgrade I've ever done.
Thank you, Comer.

The hardest part was waiting for two days after realizing that I didn't have a spare sata data cable after I had everything taken apart.
So that's what you used for the extra drive?? I'm trying to figure out which way I want to do an upgrade. a USB external drive, or a cable. have a link to the cable you used Scandia?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #1082
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
So that's what you used for the extra drive?? I'm trying to figure out which way I want to do an upgrade. a USB external drive, or a cable. have a link to the cable you used Scandia?
SATA cables are a couple of bucks (available at most any electronics or computer supply store) and the upgrade time is about 25% that of USB. Seems like a no-brainer. Just sayin'.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #1083
richsadams

Upgraded TiVo PXL Misbehaving

Wondering if anyone else has run into this...

Periodically I'll switch from live TV to TiVo Central only to be met by the THX and then the TiVo "on stage" videos as if it was just rebooted...and then to TiVo Central.

This happened once in a long while since upgrading our Premiere XL to 2TB using jmfs back in November or so. More recently I'm beginning to see this every other day now.

Now this only happens after turning on our system, TiVo connected to Samsung Plasma via HDMI, watching a bit of live TV, might be for a few seconds or after a half-hour. Sometimes TiVo is idle, other times it's recording on one or both tuners. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason otherwise. After that initial unusual behavior it doesn't happen again...only the first time we turn things on.

It happened a few minutes ago and I decided to have a look at the DVR Diagnostics screens...moved through the menus to DVR Diagnostics and got the "One moment please" and that was it...hung there. Pulled the plug, went back in and found nothing unusual on the diagnostics.

I've also noticed some other odd behaviors such as losing the TiVo backgrounds (we're on the SD menus)...black background after deleting a recording, etc.

In any case, just wondering if anyone else was seeing anything unusual. I've got a WD20EARS on the way from Newegg ($69.99) just in case. Think I'll copy everything over to the new drive to be safe. I'll test the existing EARS to see what comes back. If there aren't any issues I'll put it into backup service.

TIA for any feedback!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #1084
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Wondering if anyone else has run into this...

Periodically I'll switch from live TV to TiVo Central only to be met by the THX and then the TiVo "on stage" videos as if it was just rebooted...and then to TiVo Central.

This happened once in a long while since upgrading our Premiere XL to 2TB using jmfs back in November or so. More recently I'm beginning to see this every other day now.
I've been following this thread and this one (which has wandered off topic).

Quote:
Now this only happens after turning on our system, TiVo connected to Samsung Plasma via HDMI, watching a bit of live TV, might be for a few seconds or after a half-hour. Sometimes TiVo is idle, other times it's recording on one or both tuners. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason otherwise. After that initial unusual behavior it doesn't happen again...only the first time we turn things on.
Since you don't turn a TiVo on, you must be referring to the TV. The only way the TiVo can know that you turn the TV on is through the HDMI cable, so it could be some sort of HDMI anomaly. But I don't know how it could be delayed.

Quote:
It happened a few minutes ago and I decided to have a look at the DVR Diagnostics screens...moved through the menus to DVR Diagnostics and got the "One moment please" and that was it...hung there. Pulled the plug, went back in and found nothing unusual on the diagnostics.
I had this bit of strangeness with the DVR Diagnostics screen, but it doesn't sound quite the same.

Quote:
I've also noticed some other odd behaviors such as losing the TiVo backgrounds (we're on the SD menus)...black background after deleting a recording, etc.
And I've had this strangeness with menu backgrounds.

Quote:
In any case, just wondering if anyone else was seeing anything unusual. I've got a WD20EARS on the way from Newegg ($69.99) just in case. Think I'll copy everything over to the new drive to be safe. I'll test the existing EARS to see what comes back. If there aren't any issues I'll put it into backup service.

TIA for any feedback!

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #1085
richsadams

Thanks for the link David. It would appear that what I'm seeing is exactly what a lot of others are experiencing with their TiVo Premier's and that it has nothing to do with the 2TB upgrade or my hard drive. Phew! I went ahead and posted my two cents on "TiVo Intro Animation Clip" thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...34#post8622234

The other oddities I've seen before over the years, not just with the Premiere. I chalk it up to TiVo basically being a computer and that these things happen. A hard reboot usually takes care of things when needed.

Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #1086
caroth

Question Weeknees 4TB Tivo upgrade

So did anyone ever figure out how Weeknees is doing their 4TB (2TB internal/2TB external)?

P.S. I know a lot of people on this forum have strong opinions about using external drives, so I just want to clarify that I'm looking for the technical details/replication instructions for Weeknees solution above, not anyone's opinion on external drives.

Thanks!
caroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #1087
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroth View Post
So did anyone ever figure out how Weeknees is doing their 4TB (2TB internal/2TB external)?

P.S. I know a lot of people on this forum have strong opinions about using external drives, so I just want to clarify that I'm looking for the technical details/replication instructions for Weeknees solution above, not anyone's opinion on external drives.

Thanks!
No, weaknees method of achieving such is not known. End of story.

Sorry.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #1088
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
No, weaknees method of achieving such is not known. End of story.

Sorry.
The method has not been discovered yet. To be continued.

There, fixed that for you.

(what, you think it's going to remain a secret forever?)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #1089
Ipaqjoe

My upgrade experience

First order of business (Thanks Comer!) Donation $ent

With the price of 2TB drives dropping under $70 I figured it was time to upgrade my two Tivo premieres (1-XL and 1-base model) to 317 hrs each.

I ordered two, 2TB WD20EARS drives from Newegg. $10 off With Promo code EMCKCJA22 (expires 7/25/11)

Excellent packaging, combination of bubble wrap, foam peanuts and double boxed with plastic drive carriers (perfect for storing the factory drives in the closet after an upgrade)

Drive boxes (photo)

I ran an extended test using the Windows Data LifeGuard Diagnostics using two USB docks in two separate Windows 7 virtual machines (On my iMac) at the same time. Took about 22 hours - for both drives (no errors)

Both new WD drives were 08JAN2011, Malaysia drives, 3 serial numbers apart.
Both had AAM set to 254 and Intellipark/Idle timer set to 8 seconds.

I set AAM to 128 on both drives using HDDSCAN and disabled Intellipark ("widle3 /d") using the WD idle mode update utility dropped into a FDOEMCD.builder.zip to make an ISO for a bootable CDROM.

I saw some people were setting the idle time to 300 (5 minutes), some were leaving it alone. I figured since it is an always on DVR (always recording whatever channel it is tuned to - to the buffer, it should never be parked) Any clarification or reasons why having disabled is bad or (worse than 8, 300, or?? would be appreciated)

For everything other than the original Extended fitness test I dusted off an old Shuttle PC so the drives were directly connected via SATA cables for speed. The XL (1TB) took a bit over 9hrs and the base (320GB) took 3hrs.

One final note: (Original drives)
XL - 1TB - WD10EVVS, 08JAN2010 Thailand (Idle3 timer set to 8 seconds)
Base - 320GB - WD3200AVVS, 02SEP2010 Thailand (Idle3 timer disabled)

Ok, two final notes:
Case screws (4) and (4) screws that hold drive rails to case Torx-10, (4) screws that hold drive rails to drive (Torx-15) - Both units.

Last edited by Ipaqjoe : 07-24-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Promo code expiration, screw size
Ipaqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #1090
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipaqjoe View Post
I saw some people were setting the idle time to 300 (5 minutes), some were leaving it alone. I figured since it is an always on DVR (always recording whatever channel it is tuned to - to the buffer, it should never be parked) Any clarification or reasons why having disabled is bad or (worse than 8, 300, or?? would be appreciated)
Tivo is continuously writing, but I don't know how much of that is cached somewhere, and if the setting of 8 would cause heads to park at all, but it is known that this setting used to cause issues with soft reboots, and if there would be constain parking because of caching, that would be bad, so I was not going to leave it at 8.
I read somewhere (sorry, can't remember where) that setting it to disabled may have caused premature failure for some people (not necessarily in Tivos). I don't know the technical details, so I figured that, in Tivo case, 300 would work OK (i.e. no way caching would last that long), so no particular reason to set it to disabled vs 300.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #1091
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipaqjoe View Post
First order of business (Thanks Comer!) Donation $ent

With the price of 2TB drives dropping under $70 I figured it was time to upgrade my two Tivo premieres (1-XL and 1-base model) to 317 hrs each.<snip>
Nice work! Thanks for the details as well. With regard to the Intellipark setting, 300 seconds Vs disabled, there were discussions on other forums a while back regarding one or the other possibly having an impact on the drive's longevity. Since the 2TB drives are still fairly new, there's no empirical evidence positive or negative either way. As you point out, TiVo is recording 24/7 and the only time the heads will park is during a reboot, so for our purposes it probably won't make any difference. We have ours set to 300 seconds (five minutes) and things have been working fine for almost a year now.

Congrats and enjoy your "new" TiVo's!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #1092
Larry.A

Can not see other Tivo in "My Show" list (FIXED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.A View Post
I want to thank everyone that has put these scripts/apps together. I recently switched to FIOS from DirecTV and could not stand the user interface of the FIOS boxes. I used to have 2 fully hacked direcTV Tivos several years ago and I loved them so I decided to buy a couple of premiers and upgrade them with WD20EARS. I can not believe how simple this is now. widdle, automated 3 step proccess and bam I have 2TB of capacity each. My only problem is on one I can see the other Tivo on the "My Shows" list but when I select it it says there is nothin to display (wich of course there is) and on the second Tivo I can not see the other one at all. I have tested all the network diag and everything checks out. I have rebooted each several times with no luck. I can also stream netflix on both so I am pretty sure it is not a network issue. I did a search but I guess I did not use the right keywords because nothing came up. Any help would be apreciated.
Just wanted to post what the issue really was on this just in case it saves someone else the days of troubleshooting/testing I went through. The problem was that I was not using a Tivo wireless adapter for my second Tivo. I had a PC and PS3 there also so I bought a another wireless router and configured it in bridge mode. I then just used the 5 ports to plug a cat5 cable in the each. I fugured all would just see it as a cable connection instead of wireless. All worked great except for the Tivo seeing the other Tivo. Anyway I finally broke down and bought another Tivo adapter for this Tivo ($90) and as soon as I configuered and plugged in everything started instantly working. So atleast in my case it apears the only way for home networking to work is to use the Tivo brand wireless adapters.
Larry.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #1093
lpwcomp

I can't speak from experience as I have never tried to use wireless connections on a TiVo, but the setup you had before should have worked. I have seen similar, inexplicable problems even in a wired setup but am having no problems with my current configuration where I have 2 TiVos connected to one switch and the other one on another switch. Both of these switches are connected to the switch on the router.

I am a bit confused though. The switch on most routers with which I am familiar only have 4 ports. Your router actually has 6 RJ-45 jacks, 5 on the switch part and one normally used to connect to the modem?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #1094
Larry.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I am a bit confused though. The switch on most routers with which I am familiar only have 4 ports. Your router actually has 6 RJ-45 jacks, 5 on the switch part and one normally used to connect to the modem?
Sorry I was just using general terms when I said router, I was actualy using a WAP (Wireless Access Point) to create a bridge connection to my router/switch. It does not have a WAN or Modem port. I am pretty sure it has 5 ports on the back (I am not at home to verify) but it could be 4. I just needed the 3 to connect my equipment. The Tivo worked for steaming netflix and guide updates so I am sure that I had it configured properly though the WAP. The thing that lead me to try the Tivo adapter was that I was able to see this Tivo from my Family room Tivo that did have a Tivo adapter already. It would not show anything in the "My Shows" list though. But with the one connected to the WAP I could not even see the other Tivo. Anyway this might have just been a one off circumstance but it is working for me now just cost me an extra $90.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #1095
lpwcomp

Sounds like the WAP wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. Were both TiVos showing up in your router's DHCP table? Also, there are cheaper alternatives than buying a wireless adapter from TiVo, but if your mind is at ease...

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #1096
Ipaqjoe

My current house is wired gigabit ethernet but at a previous (rental) house I ran 3 Apple airport extremes for more than 2 years without an issue. One in the office where the cable modem was and the other two in the master bedroom and living room in bridge mode with all the ethernet devices plugged in.

Worked great, my Series 2, Series 3 and Premiere saw a wired network connection and I could transfer shows just fine (only much slower than an actual wired connection)

Also had a Wii (USB ethernet adapter), PS3, XBOX360, a macmini, appleTV and a bluray player connected with the use of a gigabit switch.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #1097
Larry.A

Looks like others have had success with what I was trying to accomplish but I tried for over a week and could not get it to work. I am by no means an expert but I have setup several home and small business networks so I feel that I covered the basic configuration options. Yes they both showed up in the DHCP table. I did not try setting up a static IP for either maybe that would have worked. I am curios know to now if anyone was able to get this working with my exact situation (one Premiere using Tivo wireless N adapter other using a Buffalo Technology N150 configured in bridge mode). I am now thinking that maybe using the first Tivo wireless adatper caused me to have to use the second. Maybe I could have bought another Buffalo and it would have worked that way also.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #1098
caroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.A View Post
Looks like others have had success with what I was trying to accomplish but I tried for over a week and could not get it to work. I am by no means an expert but I have setup several home and small business networks so I feel that I covered the basic configuration options. Yes they both showed up in the DHCP table. I did not try setting up a static IP for either maybe that would have worked. I am curios know to now if anyone was able to get this working with my exact situation (one Premiere using Tivo wireless N adapter other using a Buffalo Technology N150 configured in bridge mode). I am now thinking that maybe using the first Tivo wireless adatper caused me to have to use the second. Maybe I could have bought another Buffalo and it would have worked that way also.
I never had your particular brand of network card, but when I switched wireless network cards (from Netgear to Tivo G and again when I upgraded to Tivo N), I had to remove the old adapter and reboot the Tivo before plugging in the new adapter (not sure if I had to reboot it again after that to make it work).

I would definitely recommend using a static IP over DHCP.

Even though it is way more expensive (the best deals seem to be on Ebay), I think the Tivo N adapter is well worth it for three reasons:

1) You have to use it (or the old Tivo G) if you want to use WPA2 only encryption on the wireless network (the latest and greatest) and I like my wireless network to be secure
2) If you have a router that supports it, the Tivo N adapter support the less crowded 5 Ghz band, which made a lot of difference with Netflix streaming issues I had (I had tried all the channels on the 2.4 Ghz band with my old Tivo G network card)
3) The biggest thing that I didn't know when I originally bought a non-Tivo network adapter (Netgear) is that the Tivo network adapter is specifically designed to do all the networking and offloading it from the Tivo (not sure if this would be the equivalent of TOE in servers), so it doesn't slow the Tivo down. Thus you get better network communication and don't affect your Tivo performance.

Just my thoughts that might help someone with their Tivo vs. non-Tivo wireless network adapter purchasing decision.
caroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #1099
Ipaqjoe

I didn't use a true static IP address but I did reserve a specific IP address in my DHCP router table based on the devices MAC. This way I always knew what IP each device would have on my network with much less configuration.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #1100
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Stuck in a reboot loop

I hate it when a seemingly solid idea doesn't work!
I have had nothing but trouble since 14.8U2 went on my upgraded Premiere XL with a WDC 2TB Green drive, I've posted in other threads that I can not get kickstart codes to work, so I did what any decent techie would do, tested out some additional drives.

I had a spare Seagate 1.5TB LP drive sitting around, used JMFS to update from the original 1TB, and tested, the drive and the Premiere work ok, but since it wasn't full I couldn't tell if my reboots were resolved, and 1.5TB isn't enough space, so I had 2x 2TB Seagate ST2000DL003 5900RPM drives in the house (don't ask) and I thought that could resolve my question as to if it's 14.8U2 or the drive.

So I first copied the WDC 2TB to the Seagate with JMFS, that didn't work, the drive just hung, I thought I remembered something about supposedly not copying expanded drives, and it's no big loss and I formatted the drive and then went back and wiped it in a Windows 7 box without thinking, and I think it wrote a drive signature, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Then I copied the OEM 1TB drive to the now blank Seagate 2TB and I just have a reboot loop. Even though the JMFS process formats the drive, did that windows signature cause my reboot issues? and is there a good way with the JMFS CD to nuke the drive completely to be sure I do it right when I try again tomorrow?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #1101
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Even though the JMFS process formats the drive, did that windows signature cause my reboot issues?
Answering my own question, nuked the drive, erased track 0, and then did a copy of the OEM drive and didn't supersize (because I can do it later) and it's running now, it'll need a few days burn in.
Spoke too soon, got it running, did a service update, now it's stuck in a reboot loop
Old 08-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #1102
richsadams

Quote:
Answering my own question, nuked the drive, erased track 0, and then did a copy of the OEM drive and didn't supersize (because I can do it later) and it's running now, it'll need a few days burn in.
Spoke too soon, got it running, did a service update, now it's stuck in a reboot loop
You mentioned a service update? The "donor" (in this case the OEM) drive needs to have the current TiVo OS prior to upgrading with jmfs or it won't work. If that wasn't the case I'd pop the OEM drive back into TiVo, force a network connection (may take a few tries) and let it update. Then use it to image the new drive again and you should be good to go. Or did I misunderstand?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:14 AM   #1103
dwit

Quote:
You mentioned a service update? The "donor" (in this case the OEM) drive needs to have the current TiVo OS prior to upgrading with jmfs or it won't work. If that wasn't the case I'd pop the OEM drive back into TiVo, force a network connection (may take a few tries) and let it update. Then use it to image the new drive again and you should be good to go. Or did I misunderstand?
How does it(the Tivo) know what the "current OS" is? Or is it that it needs something other than the virgin image? But in that case, how did the first upgrade ever take(in this particular case here)?

I think the poster is under the (misguided?) notion that all issues are caused by updates, so it's somehow better to always have the "virgin" image on hand. That's what I've been gathering from reading previous posts, anyway.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #1104
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Quote:
How does it(the Tivo) know what the "current OS" is? Or is it that it needs something other than the virgin image? But in that case, how did the first upgrade ever take(in this particular case here)?

I think the poster is under the (misguided?) notion that all issues are caused by updates, so it's somehow better to always have the "virgin" image on hand. That's what I've been gathering from reading previous posts, anyway.
I'm just troubleshooting since I started having a ton of issues with 14.8U2, but there's always the possibility that the drive isn't 100% right, so I decided to eliminate it and do some additional testing with a spare HD, first a 1.5TB then a 2.TB Seagate I have in the house.

I have always been taught that you want to keep a virgin OEM image for using a master, then you let the donor OS update the new drive. This is what I did for the 1TB to 2TB update in February, and what I did for testing the 1.5TB drive.

The Seagate 2TB donor drive has been nothing but trouble and I have only had it boot up successfully once, and that was with the OEM virgin image, it updated, rebooted, then never came back. I tried copying the existing 2TB WDC 14.8U2 drive to the Seagate 2TB, it never worked, also stuck in a reboot loop. The 1.5TB Seagate took the service update just fine, I just don't want to leave it in since it's too small.

Does that help lay it out? I'm not against leaving the WDC 2TB that has reboot issues with playback (detailed in another thread) until 14.8B is out.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #1105
richsadams

Quote:

Every time TiVo connects to the "mother ship" it communicates a long list of data including the current OS. If the OS is older than what's current it automatically updates the box.

You'd have to ask the author of jmfs (Comer) why, but it requires the latest TiVo OS (or at least the latest as of the jmfs 104 release back in November 2010) to work. The instructions assume an OEM disc is being pulled from an active box.

Attempts to upgrade using an OEM drive that had an older OS on it failed so my WAG is that Comer just wrote the program based on the newest OS at the time.

The remedy is to simply reinstall the OEM drive, force a network connection and let it update to the current OS prior to using it to image a new drive. It's not a bad idea to take the OEM drive off of the shelf and let it update periodically anyway.

Make sense?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #1106
richsadams

Quote:
I have always been taught that you want to keep a virgin OEM image for using a master, then you let the donor OS update the new drive.
That worked for winMFS (or MFSTools), but it doesn't work with jmfs. As noted in the post above, the OEM drive needs to have the current TiVo OS for jmfs to work.

AFAIK there's no reason to keep an OEM drive "virgin". Slipping it back into TiVo and letting it update to the current OS reduces the housekeeping a newly imaged drive is required to do (and likely any issues it might have otherwise) anyway.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #1107
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
That worked for winMFS (or MFSTools), but it doesn't work with jmfs. As noted in the post above, the OEM drive needs to have the current TiVo OS for jmfs to work.

AFAIK there's no reason to keep an OEM drive "virgin". Slipping it back into TiVo and letting it update to the current OS reduces the housekeeping a newly imaged drive is required to do (and likely any issues it might have otherwise) anyway.
FWIW the "virgin drive" is 14.7, so I doubt that's the issue. I used it to upgrade to the currently out WDC 2TB Green that ran great until 14.8U2.
That same "virgin" drive did a perfect jmfs upgrade to the 1.5TB Seagate drive I've been using to test which is why the poor results on the 2.0TB Seagate are so frustrating.

My gut tells me 14.8U2 on the WDC is my issue and when I fill up the 1.5TB with 14.8U2 I'll get some of the problems back, which is why the swap to the spare Seagate 2.0TB was supposed to be the easy way out, if it worked and resolved stability, great it stays in, if it didn't work and instability was still there, 14.8U2 was the issue.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #1108
ed08724
Bricktown, NJ

Here is my situation. I have a TivoHD with a 1.5Tb drive that I replaced as soon as I got the Tivo. I ordered the drive off eBay but not sure of from who or how it was made. After being away for 2 months I got home to find it stuttering and sometimes rebooting while playing back shows. Ran a kickstart 54 SMART test and it fails all tests except Initial state. Some shows play after getting through the stuttering but it takes a long time to get through the few minutes of bad spots. The shows are important to me and the Tivo is almost full. I thought I could buy a new 2gb drive and copy and expand but after reading the fist 10 or so pages here it sounds like it won't work. Plan B then if possible. Can I buy a new 2Tb drive and just copy, not expand. Watch as many shows as I can, then somehow start over and copy only the Tivo info and not the programs and expand and supersize. I no longer have the original drive with the factory Tivo image. Will this work with a 2tB drive or should I just buy the exact drive I already have. Will the copy routine be able to copy through the bad spots or will it just abort when it finds a bad spot. If so is there so other way to copy through the bad spots and is this likely to result in playable files. I don't care about small amounts of missing shows but the stuttering and reboots are extremely annoying. Thank you for any help anyone has.
ed08724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #1109
richsadams

Quote:
FWIW the "virgin drive" is 14.7, so I doubt that's the issue. I used it to upgrade to the currently out WDC 2TB Green that ran great until 14.8U2.
That same "virgin" drive did a perfect jmfs upgrade to the 1.5TB Seagate drive I've been using to test which is why the poor results on the 2.0TB Seagate are so frustrating.

My gut tells me 14.8U2 on the WDC is my issue and when I fill up the 1.5TB with 14.8U2 I'll get some of the problems back, which is why the swap to the spare Seagate 2.0TB was supposed to be the easy way out, if it worked and resolved stability, great it stays in, if it didn't work and instability was still there, 14.8U2 was the issue.
FWIW our Premiere XL w/WD GP 2TB drive hasn't had any issues (outside of that annoying THX/TiVo animation those of us using the SD menus are experiencing) since the v14.8U update (or ever). Almost everyone that's upgraded used the WD GP drives as well and AFAIK no one else here, on other threads or forums has reported any issues since the update either. Just sayin'. My gut tells me that you either have a flaky WD drive or that upgrading using an older OS is the key.

That said, best of luck with whatever you end up happy with!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #1110
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed08724 View Post
Here is my situation. I have a TivoHD with a 1.5Tb drive that I replaced as soon as I got the Tivo. I ordered the drive off eBay but not sure of from who or how it was made. After being away for 2 months I got home to find it stuttering and sometimes rebooting while playing back shows. Ran a kickstart 54 SMART test and it fails all tests except Initial state. Some shows play after getting through the stuttering but it takes a long time to get through the few minutes of bad spots. The shows are important to me and the Tivo is almost full. I thought I could buy a new 2gb drive and copy and expand but after reading the fist 10 or so pages here it sounds like it won't work. Plan B then if possible. Can I buy a new 2Tb drive and just copy, not expand. Watch as many shows as I can, then somehow start over and copy only the Tivo info and not the programs and expand and supersize. I no longer have the original drive with the factory Tivo image. Will this work with a 2tB drive or should I just buy the exact drive I already have. Will the copy routine be able to copy through the bad spots or will it just abort when it finds a bad spot. If so is there so other way to copy through the bad spots and is this likely to result in playable files. I don't care about small amounts of missing shows but the stuttering and reboots are extremely annoying. Thank you for any help anyone has.
You should be able to use your existing drive to upgrade to a 2TB drive with jmfs for the TiVo HD (not the one in the first post of this thread as the process is slightly different):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

An exact copy (using dd or ddrescue) may or may not work as you point out, when it hits bad sectors it may hang. Hopefully your drive will last long enough for you to upgrade, but I wouldn't waste any time doing so.

Happy upgrading and let us know how it goes!