TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #721
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
MFSCOPY on the JMFS tool or Live MFS or WinMFS for that matter will work, any Linux Live CD will do it with dd.

Code:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1024
(In from disk a, out to disk b)
Just an aside: I've found that I get much better performance with dd_rescue and the "-k" switch. I cloned a 2TB recently, and it took < 5 hours and ran at over 120MB/sec.

From the dd_rescue help:

Quote:
-k use efficient in-kernel zerocopy splice
I'm using dd_rescue 1.23, but I understand the "splice" option was added starting in 1.15.

I haven't checked what version of dd_rescue is included in the mfslive or jmfs isos. I'm using a Fedora 14 system.

--Jamie
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #722
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
(I'm not positive these codes still work on Premiere, but I would bet they do.)
Kickstarts work fine on Series4/TiVo Premieres...although the procedure is a little different than on previous models.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #723
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Just to add on to previous comments I really only have one word for this thread:
"Wow!"
freeking wow, putting a 2TB WD Green drive into my new Premiere XL was one of the easiest upgrades I have ever done, and I've been upgrading my own Tivo's since 2000.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #724
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

My Premiere just froze/locked/ rebooted as I was checking the temperature during the Oscars recording (the high of 37C). It went down just long enough to miss the entire people lost this year tribute.

I'm glad I had the really (6 year) old S3 to switch to.

I'm going to replace the 2TB hard drive but I have no faith that will fix it.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #725
richsadams

Quote:
My Premiere just froze/locked/ rebooted as I was checking the temperature during the Oscars recording (the high of 37C). It went down just long enough to miss the entire people lost this year tribute.

I'm glad I had the really (6 year) old S3 to switch to.

I'm going to replace the 2TB hard drive but I have no faith that will fix it.
Bummer. It doesn't seem like as many actors died last year compared to years before...they filled with lots of behind the scenes types so you didn't miss a great deal IMHO.

In any case, it does sound like there's an issue, but can't say if it's the drive or the machine or the signal or...

Did you try running some of the Kickstarts?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #726
jbell73

Ok, I'm having a nasty speed issue with copying the stock 320GB drive to a 2TB drive. This 2TB was already in my tivo, but the fan failed, and I suspected the HDD, ran some diags, and now the 2TB won't boot (all LED's just flash).

Now, I'm resolved to going back to a clean 2TB drive from the factory 320GB. My problem is that ddrescue is only running @ 2.2MB/sec .. So this process will take over 2 days to complete. I've done this many times before, and I've never had such slow performance before. Any ideas? This is what I've tried:

SATA <-> SATA on MB
SATA <-> USB 2.0 ~ no better
Tried swapping READ/WRITE drives ~ no change
Tried using another SATA port for Write Drive ~ no change
did ddrescue /dev/sdX /dev/null -> 80MB/sec or 122MB/sec on each of the drives (reading is not the problem)

I have no idea what else to try, and I have tried everything. Is dd_rescue a faster method? Could my WD20EARS be bad (it passes all of the diagnostics tests). I tried changing the settings with HDPARM and nothing made any difference (Acoustic mode to 254).

Ideas? I'm runnig this again, but it's so painful. After 12 hours of running it was only 25% complete. It should only take 5 hours or so.
jbell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #727
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell73 View Post
Ok, I'm having a nasty speed issue with copying the stock 320GB drive to a 2TB drive. This 2TB was already in my tivo, but the fan failed, and I suspected the HDD, ran some diags, and now the 2TB won't boot (all LED's just flash).

Now, I'm resolved to going back to a clean 2TB drive from the factory 320GB. My problem is that ddrescue is only running @ 2.2MB/sec .. So this process will take over 2 days to complete. I've done this many times before, and I've never had such slow performance before. Any ideas? This is what I've tried:
Is the destination drive a Western Digital Green drive? That throughput drop is *exactly* what I've run into with one 2TB WD Green drive in my NAS and I suspect it's a bad drive, maybe failing when the drive gets warm. I can actually see the 2MBpbs write for about a second followed by 2 seconds of ZERO throughput and then the 1 second 2MBbps burst, repeat until Summer.

#2 you can do the 320GB to 2TB drive copy using the copy step on Comer's JMFS live CD. Mine took about an hour and half.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #728
jbell73

Yes, it is a WD Green 2TB drive (WD20EARS).

I am doing the copy step from the JMFS live CD (320GB -> 2TB), and that is where I'm only seeing a 2.2MB/sec copy speed... It's expected to run for about 2 days to complete.

It could be a bad drive, but read speeds are phenomenal, so maybe a write-only issue?

I don't have a spare 2TB drive to test with.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #729
L David Matheny

Quote:

I am doing the copy step from the JMFS live CD (320GB -> 2TB), and that is where I'm only seeing a 2.2MB/sec copy speed... It's expected to run for about 2 days to complete.

It could be a bad drive, but read speeds are phenomenal, so maybe a write-only issue?

Did you run the WD Data Lifeguard extended diagnostic? Some people think they got bad drives right out of the box, so I ran that on my WD20EVDS. It took about seven hours (and reported no errors).
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #730
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:

THAT'S what mine is! I have two of those in a two drive enclosure. It is on writes where the issue shows.

Now we need to figure out what this issue is.

I'll try the WD utility.

I was thinking I'd have to send it in for a warranty replacement.
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #731
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Another successful Premiere upgrade here; I went with a 2TB drive and from 99% full to only 14%

The worst part was my slow PC with it's SATA add-on card; the average transfer speed was only 16MB/sec, so it took a while. A long while.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #732
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Not as long as it took me on my PC laptop using a pair of SATA->USB adapters...
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #733
jbell73

The odd thing is that the "DRIVE ERASE" test (using the WD DLGuard tools from within windows) seems to write very fast (~ 120Mb/s), and reports no errors, but pauses occasionally for about 1 second. If I run the full "extended test", the random read section takes forever, and it estimates completion in some 6000 minutes or something crazy.

I tried to simply partition and format the drive in Windows 7, and the "Quick Format" took about 5 minutes, and then disk writes were running at about 5Mb/s after it was ready. I swapped in my 1TB WD system drive, and writes were back up to a more normal 60Mb/s.

At this point I have determined the drive is defective (there has to be a reason my Tivo was suddenly frozen on live TV and unusable, and constantly rebooting). I've already requested an RMA for the drive, and expect the replacement by the end of the week.

These things are so cheap now @ amazon for just $79. Crazy cheap enough to just purchase a new one to test with and use in another system.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #734
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Kickstarts work fine on Series4/TiVo Premieres...although the procedure is a little different than on previous models.

Quote:
Bummer. It doesn't seem like as many actors died last year compared to years before...they filled with lots of behind the scenes types so you didn't miss a great deal IMHO.

In any case, it does sound like there's an issue, but can't say if it's the drive or the machine or the signal or...

Did you try running some of the Kickstarts?

I did run Kickstart 5-4 earlier.

Rich, I may owe you a beer (in the interests of ending the crapping in this thread):
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...21#post8403921
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #735
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:

I can verify this, lol... it took me 6 reboots before I finally (out of desperation) figured that it wasn't the amber flicker at the start of the reboot, but one that happens several seconds after the boot initiates... At least I can now hit it on my first try (if I'm not distracted)...

Relatedly, how do you restart the Premiere after the KS54 runs its course... I ended up pulling the power cord, waiting 30 sec, and powering up...

I'm going to run the "overnight" in a few hours...
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #736
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
I can verify this, lol... it took me 6 reboots before I finally (out of desperation) figured that it wasn't the amber flicker at the start of the reboot, but one that happens several seconds after the boot initiates... At least I can now hit it on my first try (if I'm not distracted)...
My dilemma was whether you press (Enter) after the numbers and I'm suspecting that if you do it does a normal boot sequence. I trust that Rich would have put the (Enter) in the instructions if it was supposed to pressed.

Quote:
Relatedly, how do you restart the Premiere after the KS54 runs its course... I ended up pulling the power cord, waiting 30 sec, and powering up...

I'm going to run the "overnight" in a few hours...
I'll probably do that, too, if and when I get the Amazon VOD download to complete, and I don't open up the Premiere and swap the disk before that.
UVerse and OTA

Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #737
richsadams

Quote:
My dilemma was whether you press (Enter) after the numbers and I'm suspecting that if you do it does a normal boot sequence. I trust that Rich would have put the (Enter) in the instructions if it was supposed to pressed.
No pressing "Enter", just the numbers.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #738
richsadams

Quote:
The SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) is actually a Unix/Linux predictive diagnostic test and if you were in that environment you could exit out of it, but since you can't do that with TiVo a power cycle (pull the plug) is in order. You did the right thing.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #739
jbell73

Thumbs up

Quote:
At this point I have determined the drive is defective (there has to be a reason my Tivo was suddenly frozen on live TV and unusable, and constantly rebooting). I've already requested an RMA for the drive, and expect the replacement by the end of the week.
I just got my replacement drive, and the new 320GB -> 2TB Copy is running at a much faster 36MB/Sec (versus 2.2MB/sec) . At this rate the copy is expected to take 2.5 Hours. Much better than the 48+ Hours I was estimating before with the failed drive.

Lesson learned - don't try and fight incredibly slow copy speeds (especially when doing a SATA <-> SATA with an on-board controller.) Instead RMA the drive. I'm curious if my original copy would have even been done by now.

-Jeff
Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #740
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
I just got my replacement drive, and the new 320GB -> 2TB Copy is running at a much faster
Glad to hear that's working for you... Question... are you upgrading the "virgin" drive you just received, or did you go through setup before copying it to the 2TB.

I have a somewhat similar situation, except my failed original drive isn't as quite the trouble you had. for the time being, I've chosen not to RMA the existing drive. I posted HERE why.

I just received a SATA/USB connector I needed to work the upgrade, so I'll be testing my new WD20EARS tomorrow with the WD Data Lifeguard.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #741
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
I just got my replacement drive, and the new 320GB -> 2TB Copy is running at a much faster 36MB/Sec (versus 2.2MB/sec) . At this rate the copy is expected to take 2.5 Hours. Much better than the 48+ Hours I was estimating before with the failed drive.

Lesson learned - don't try and fight incredibly slow copy speeds (especially when doing a SATA <-> SATA with an on-board controller.) Instead RMA the drive. I'm curious if my original copy would have even been done by now.

-Jeff
I just checked to see which drive in my NAS is the slow one and with a quick copy two different drives in the same enclosure have the problem. I'm not going to believe I have two bad drives. More checking is due.

But lo! http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1297342&page=2
UVerse and OTA

Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #742
richsadams

Quote:
I just checked to see which drive in my NAS is the slow one and with a quick copy two different drives in the same enclosure have the problem. I'm not going to believe I have two bad drives. More checking is due.

But lo! http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1297342&page=2
I didn't get through all of the posts on that linked thread as well as another link within one of the posts, but did scan them...is there a consensus as to it being a batch of drives, Intellipark, etc.?

The WD20EARS I used to upgrade my Premiere XL had a transfer rate of between 39 and 50MBs w/direct SATA/MB connections for both drives. I changed the AAM from 254 to 128 but did not tweak the Intellipark setting on the new drive prior to upgrading.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #743
generaltso

I noticed that my stock Premiere XL drive has wdidle set to 8 seconds, but the stock drive from my non-XL Premiere has wdidle set to Disabled. I upgraded both of them to 2TB WD Green AV drives. I set the one in the XL to 5 minutes, and the one in the non-XL to Disabled. It's been about 2 weeks, and the XL has spontaneously rebooted once and hung with a spinning green circle twice. Do you suppose I would be less likely to have these problems if I pull the drive out of the XL again and change wdidle to Disabled?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #744
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
I didn't get through all of the posts on that linked thread as well as another link within one of the posts, but did scan them...is there a consensus as to it being a batch of drives, Intellipark, etc.?

The WD20EARS I used to upgrade my Premiere XL had a transfer rate of between 39 and 50MBs w/direct SATA/MB connections for both drives. I changed the AAM from 254 to 128 but did not tweak the Intellipark setting on the new drive prior to upgrading.
So far Googling finds me more than a few discussions of WD drives bogging down to 2Mbps on writes. I see 2mbs bursts followed by 2-3 second dead, dead nothing, lulls.

I have actual graphic proof...I'll post anon.

I didn't have a problem prior and these drives are several months old and were performing well right through the end of 2010. As above I need to try some more sleuthing although I've been hacking at it for several weeks.

I can move the drives to different enclosures.
UVerse and OTA

Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #745
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Do you suppose I would be less likely to have these problems if I pull the drive out of the XL again and change wdidle to Disabled?
My instincts tell me no, that it shouldn't make any difference one way or another...but then there's really not enough data to say anything for sure one way or another. You certainly could give it a try and see what happens...but only if you report back.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #746
richsadams

Quote:
So far Googling finds me more than a few discussions of WD drives bogging down to 2Mbps on writes. I see 2mbs bursts followed by 2-3 second dead, dead nothing, lulls.

I have actual graphic proof...I'll post anon.

I didn't have a problem prior and these drives are several months old and were performing well right through the end of 2010. As above I need to try some more sleuthing although I've been hacking at it for several weeks.

Curiouser and curiouser...
Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #747
generaltso

Quote:
My instincts tell me no, that it shouldn't make any difference one way or another...but then there's really not enough data to say anything for sure one way or another. You certainly could give it a try and see what happens...but only if you report back.
I'll give it a shot. I can't imagine that it would make it any worse.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #748
jbell73

Quote:

I'm of the mindset that if things are running fine for a while, and suddenly it stops acting "normal", then you have a problem. I fought the slow 2TB WD20EARS for 2 days straight trying every combination I could, and it was just slow. Nothing reported any errors. What I would do is simply RMA one of your drives, while you can still read from them, and copy the data to the new drive you get.

My new drive worked the first try, without any issues. The same way the old one did when I first set it up. This tells me it can't be anything else than a bad drive.

Quote:
Question... are you upgrading the "virgin" drive you just received, or did you go through setup before copying it to the 2TB.
Regrettably this is the virgin drive I am copying for the second time. So it will require a visit from Cox to pair the cable cards again. Next time I will pair them with the factory drive, and then copy/clone so the pairing is part of the copied data. The new 2TB drive is up and running (with the new MFS Supersize) @ 317 HR capacity, and quite happy.

-Jeff

Last edited by jbell73 : 03-03-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Fixed quote link.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #749
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

I had to run WD's Lifeguard diagnostics for Windows and HDDScan to test and set AAM since WD's Lifeguard DOS CD couldn't find my WD20EARS. FWIW, Hiren's BootCD for WD diagnostics and WDIDLE3 also came up empty—I'm not sure if that was because of the USB connection, or because the HDD lacks a partition table.

Since the drive mfr date is December 2010, I'm not going to bother w/intellipark unless the soft boot issue appears. That all said, will jmfs Live CD detect my Premiere drive and WD20EARS if they're both connected via individual USB/SATA? I'd prefer not to open up my PC to use the SATA cabling... of course if I'm without an alternative I guess I'll do that.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #750
pruffy

xl drive in premiere no program guide updates

What I want todo

Erase and llf current XL drive in premiere.
Then take original drive and copy that to former XL drive then expand the drive to its full 2tb potential.

So this way I would have a 2tb hdd with premiere software so it would now get program guide updates correctly. I don't really care about the shows on the hdd now but if they could be saved that would be neat.

Haven't messed with any tivos for awhile, if anyone could help that would be great.
pruffy is offline   Reply With Quote