TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #571
Davelnlr_

Just got this in for my Server, and decided to try it out on the Tivo instead:
Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive...$79.95 at Newegg.

Took the copy, and shows 317 hrs. Will report back on how well it works.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #572
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

I'm about ready to take the plunge and upgrade my three TiVo Premieres. Of course I'll try this method on one first.

Just a couple of quick questions:

1.) I've had all 3 boxes since October 2010 so I think they are ok and all. Comcast cable card in each. If I follow the full drive copy method, I'll keep my shows, season passes, and cable card pairing info, correct?

2.) I've seen some scary reviews for the WD20EARS on Amazon and Newegg. For TiVo use, is this really the preferred drive to get? I have a 1 TB Caviar Black drive on a shelf at home. Sounds like the Black may be overkill and doesn't gain anything, but I never had any issues with it in my old TiVo HD box. 2TB is highly desired though so if everyone thinks it's ok, it sure is a good deal!

Thanks!

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #573
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
I'm about ready to take the plunge and upgrade my three TiVo Premieres. Of course I'll try this method on one first.

1.) I've had all 3 boxes since October 2010 so I think they are ok and all. Comcast cable card in each. If I follow the full drive copy method, I'll keep my shows, season passes, and cable card pairing info, correct?
Correct. You'll use "C"opy, which results in a dupe (same size). And then expand, which takes it up to full size.

Quote:
2.) I've seen some scary reviews for the WD20EARS on Amazon and Newegg. For TiVo use, is this really the preferred drive to get? I have a 1 TB Caviar Black drive on a shelf at home. Sounds like the Black may be overkill and doesn't gain anything, but I never had any issues with it in my old TiVo HD box. 2TB is highly desired though so if everyone thinks it's ok, it sure is a good deal!
Not sure what the reviews said. Nor really the difference between their black and green models. I'm curious to say what Richadams says here, but I know he's been recommending the EARS, and that's enough for me (that's what I got, five of them to max out the $20 per rebate that expired a week ago or so.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #574
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Thanks for the quick reply. I like both amazon and Newegg, but it looks like Newegg is $10 cheaper since they have a promo code (both sites have the $20 rebate Visa GC as well). In the end, $70 for a 2.0 TB drive is awesome (as long as it works)!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136514

TiVo Stream
Old 01-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #575
Starflight

Hi Comer, the upgrade was a snap. The $$ is in the Ethernet via paypal.

Upgraded two Tivo Premieres to 317 HD Hours using Western Digital 2TB WD20EVDS.

Manufacture date of 10 Nov 2010

The AAM default was 128.

The Intellipark feature default was 8 seconds. The Tivo restart does pass with the 8s timeout.

Use wdidle3 /S[10000000000] (1 and 10 zeros) to disable the Intellipark feature. Saw the /S option on another web site. Passing it along.

Used the PC's two internal Sata ports. The procedure took about 3hrs. The copy rate averaged about 35MB/s.

Many thanks to Comer for the upgrade tool and to richsadams for the helpful advice contained in this thread.
Starflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #576
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflight View Post
Hi Comer, the upgrade was a snap. The $$ is in the Ethernet via paypal.

Upgraded two Tivo Premieres to 317 HD Hours using Western Digital 2TB WD20EVDS.

Manufacture date of 10 Nov 2010

The AAM default was 128.

The Intellipark feature default was 8 seconds. The Tivo restart does pass with the 8s timeout.

Use wdidle3 /S[10000000000] (1 and 10 zeros) to disable the Intellipark feature. Saw the /S option on another web site. Passing it along.

Used the PC's two internal Sata ports. The procedure took about 3hrs. The copy rate averaged about 35MB/s.

Many thanks to Comer for the upgrade tool and to richsadams for the helpful advice contained in this thread.
Welcome to the forum and thanks very much for the details!

To be clear, you did NOT adjust the Intellipark setting on your WD20EVDS and your TiVo still rebooted with a menu restart correct? I wanted to confirm as a couple of others said the same thing (with WD drives manufactured after Sept 15th) although the Intellipark timeout was still set to 8 seconds. The clarification will let others that follow know that they no longer have to mess around with making that adjustment on newer drives. TIA.

Enjoy all of that new real estate!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #577
richsadams

Quote:

As ThreeSoFar said, yes, everything remains intact as this is a full copy program. Running them for a while to be sure everything was working properly was a wise move.

Quote:

Thanks!
WD's Black (or Blue) series of HDD's don't offer any performance enhancements over their GP drives when it comes to TiVo. The GP drives generally run cooler as well.

It looks like the larger drives get the more issues folks have with them. Makes sense for the reasons one can imagine I guess. I haven't looked in the past week or so but the reviews I've read give most of the WD line about equal ratings (as good as or better than other manufacturers). If there were one or another line that was having problems it would be pretty apparent pretty quickly...especially here...there's no holding back on the TCF! I'm about to drop a WD20EARS into my Premiere XL myself. Quite a few others here are using the same drive as well...so far w/o reporting any problems. Only time will tell with these sorts of things, but my bet is that it's a perfectly good option.

Happy upgrading!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #578
tome_9499

Hi,

I'm using (2) sata to USB converters to image my premiere 320 GB drive on to a seagate barracuda 2TB drive. How long is it going to take? seems like days!

Thanks ,

Tom
can prevail aganist untiring Destiny.

-Sophocles
tome_9499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #579
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tome_9499 View Post
Hi,

I'm using (2) sata to USB converters to image my premiere 320 GB drive on to a seagate barracuda 2TB drive. How long is it going to take? seems like days!

Thanks ,

Tom
I'm curious, what's the throughput being shown by the copy command?

On my old Dell (it's either a Pentium III or IV, I forget which), with an internal PCI SATA adapter that can fit both drives, I get about 21000kBps.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #580
Davelnlr_

I was getting 37000 on my 3Ghz AMD dual core.

Update on the Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS. It is still working great. With the original drive (WD 320GB?) I was unable to use the HDGUI, it would take foreever between screens, and give me circles. I turned the HDGUI back on to make sure everything was working ok after upgrading the drive last night, and it is MUCH snappier now. No green circles or delays. Seems a lot faster. This is a 5900rpm drive. What speed is the original drive, and why would this one be faster?
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:45 AM   #581
p_wallace

Will this work for an old R20 DTV tivo? Is there a size limit for the HD or will any IDE HD work. I assume the the interface is IDE since this unit is so old SATA wasn't around back then. Also does this work using an external enclosure or do I need to crack open a computer and mount the drive internally.
THANKS
Pete
p_wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #582
Starflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

To be clear, you did NOT adjust the Intellipark setting on your WD20EVDS and your TiVo still rebooted with a menu restart correct? I wanted to confirm as a couple of others said the same thing (with WD drives manufactured after Sept 15th) although the Intellipark timeout was still set to 8 seconds. The clarification will let others that follow know that they no longer have to mess around with making that adjustment on newer drives. TIA.
The default setting for Intellipark is 8s. The restart after the initial boot succeeded with the Intellipark at 8s. Only one restart was attempted.

However, the Intellipark feature is now disabled using the wdidle3 tool.
Starflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #583
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflight View Post
The default setting for Intellipark is 8s. The restart after the initial boot succeeded with the Intellipark at 8s. Only one restart was attempted.
Thanks for the confirmation that you don't have to do tweak the Intellipark settings on the newer drives now.

Enjoy!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #584
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_wallace View Post
Will this work for an old R20 DTV tivo? Is there a size limit for the HD or will any IDE HD work. I assume the the interface is IDE since this unit is so old SATA wasn't around back then. Also does this work using an external enclosure or do I need to crack open a computer and mount the drive internally.
THANKS
Pete
I don't think anyone has tried but I'd be almost certain that it would not work. The jfms program was designed for the Premiere and Premiere XL series' partition structure. It happens to work (except for Supersize) with TiVo HD/HDXL's, but not with the original Series3. The latter two models have different partition structures. Given that it doesn't work with a Series3 I wouldn't hold out any hope that it would work with any earlier models.

FWIW I believe your TiVo has a PATA drive, but you'd need to verify that.

It will work using an external adapter or dock, but again on the TiVo Premiere or Premiere XL.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #585
ripple

Quote:
Quote:
THANKS
Pete
I don't think anyone has tried but I'd be almost certain that it would not work. The jfms program was designed for the Premiere and Premiere XL series' partition structure. It happens to work (except for Supersize) with TiVo HD/HDXL's, but not with the original Series3. The latter two models have different partition structures. Given that it doesn't work with a Series3 I wouldn't hold out any hope that it would work with any earlier models.

It will work using an external adapter or dock, but again on the TiVo Premiere or Premiere XL.
When I saw "R20 DTV" I thought the OP was asking about the R20 or HR20/HR21 DTV non-TiVo boxen.
I'm still not sure what the OP was seeking, but:
- The true R20 is not a TiVo - it's an SD DVR that D* made but which is not a TiVo.
- The HR10-250 was the last/only high-def D* TiVo...I've got one here, along with 2x SD-DVR40s, all upgraded, that I'm going to give to a good home in a separate thread.
- There was also an HR20 DVR, but it's also not a TiVo.
- There's still a plan to have a new MPEG4-capable TiVo box for D*, but it's not available at this time.
http://support.directv.com/app/answe...o---new-hd-dvr

Assuming that the OP was really talking about the R20 or HR20 D* DVR (neither of which is a TiVo), then read on...

I recently gave up on D* ever usefully providing reliable HD signal strength during inclement weather, and/or another true D*-HDTiVo, and went with 2x Tivo Premieres plus one HDXL. I'm working through the upgrades on the Premieres. I'd have to say that if there are questions about the D* non-TiVo boxes, this isn't the place to ask...PM me if you need pointers but there's a place that rhymes with MealMatabase.com...

The really short answer: JMFS is the wrong tool for what you need--in fact, you don't need any tool that "speaks" MFS.

The not-as-short-as-I'd-like-it answer is that if you're trying to upgrade a D* DVR (such as the HR21 that I had to ship back), and you don't care about saving recordings, then all you need to do is plug in a larger drive of a compatible type--the OS-equivalent is in firmware and there's nothing on the drive itself. The bad news is that when last I went through this, there was no method/software to copy recordings from one drive to another *and* take advantage of all the new space. A "DD" image under linux of the old drive onto the new one was recognized and worked with all the recordings preserved, but no expansion. If a new blank drive was inserted and the HR21 booted, it would create the necessary partitions etc. and "marry" the new drive...but there was no way to copy over recordings. Things may have changed, but as I noted above I don't think this is the board you're seeking. Good luck.

Last edited by ripple : 01-28-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Answered the wrong question first time!
ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #586
ripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
I'm curious, what's the throughput being shown by the copy command?

On my old Dell (it's either a Pentium III or IV, I forget which), with an internal PCI SATA adapter that can fit both drives, I get about 21000kBps.
I was getting 37000 on my 3Ghz AMD dual core.
Hmm. I'm doing the copy-then-expand-then-supersize on a modern but low-end system that was scheduled to become my new firewall...but the results are interesting. AMD Dual core 45W CPU (2.4GHz IIRC) plus low-end Zotac MB (NewEgg special - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500045) with both old and new drives cabled directly to MB over SATA, and I'm getting about 7800 kBps as reported by JMFS. This is going to take all day...and perhaps this low-wattage system is *not* going to have enough horsepower to be the new whole-house firewall plus part-time media server...

I almost wonder if there's a way to force the CPU to wake up and go at a higher power level, or where the bottleneck is exactly...

--ripple
ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #587
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Well, my WD20EARS from Amazon arrived a day early today! I think I'm going to give it a shot in my main family room TiVo tonight. The manufacture date on the drive is 10/13/2010.

Based on what I have read, that means I do not have to do anything to the drive and can just install it per the instructions at the start of this thread, correct? Or is it worthwhile taking the time to do a full scan with the WD software and then run the wdidle3 /S[10000000000] program as well? Thanks!

TiVo Stream
Old 01-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #588
richsadams

Quote:
Well, my WD20EARS from Amazon arrived a day early today! I think I'm going to give it a shot in my main family room TiVo tonight. The manufacture date on the drive is 10/13/2010.

Based on what I have read, that means I do not have to do anything to the drive and can just install it per the instructions at the start of this thread, correct? Or is it worthwhile taking the time to do a full scan with the WD software and then run the wdidle3 /S[10000000000] program as well? Thanks!
I'd try using it w/o adjusting the Intellipark timeout first. It shouldn't need it, but please report back if so. I would however use hddscan to adjust the AAM to 128 to make it as quiet as the OEM TiVo drive.

I always run Western Digital's Lifeguard Extended scan on new drives for a little peace of mind. IIRC it took something like 60 hours to run on my 2TB WD20EARS though. If you don't have that kind of time or patience you could just run the Quick Scan which takes about five minutes. That will tell you if there any obvious issues with the drive.

Happy upgrading!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #589
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Do you run hddscan before or after the copy/expand/supersize? Or does it not matter?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #590
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Do you run hddscan before or after the copy/expand/supersize? Or does it not matter?
It doesn't matter, it's a firmware change and won't affect the data. I suppose a purist might recommend running it afterward since it does affect the drive's seek speed...but I'm not sure that would really make any difference in the upgrade process.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #591
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
I'd try using it w/o adjusting the Intellipark timeout first. It shouldn't need it, but please report back if so. I would however use hddscan to adjust the AAM to 128 to make it as quiet as the OEM TiVo drive.

I always run Western Digital's Lifeguard Extended scan on new drives for a little peace of mind. IIRC it took something like 60 hours to run on my 2TB WD20EARS though. If you don't have that kind of time or patience you could just run the Quick Scan which takes about five minutes. That will tell you if there any obvious issues with the drive.

Happy upgrading!
Thanks Rich. I hooked up my new 10/13/2020 WD20EARS drive to my Windows 7 PC and I ran the Quick Scan from the WD Lifeguard Tools (no errors...only took a couple minutes). I then downloaded and ran the hddscan program and set the AAM to 128. Downloaded the jmfs-rev104.iso file and burned it to a CD.

Powered down the PC, opened up the TiVo and pulled out the 320 GB drive and hooked it up to the PC (all PC connections are internal SATA). Running the upgrade right now! Copying looks like it will take a while (average rate is showing as about 36650 kB/s.

Will report back later on!

UPDATE:

Great success! The copy took about 2h 40min. Then just a couple more minutes for the expand and supersize. Shut down the PC, transplanted the new 2.0 TB drive into the TiVo, put the M-Card back in the slot and then connected it back to my TV. Took the usual 5-6 minutes or so to boot up and now I have up to 317 HD hours! Woohoo! Hopefully it will run perfectly for a few years!

Now, do I upgrade the other two as well? Hmmmm.....

Thanks comer and richsadams for your help!

TiVo Stream

Last edited by dmk1974 : 01-28-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Successful upgrade!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #592
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks Rich. I hooked up my new 10/13/2020 WD20EARS drive to my Windows 7 PC and I ran the Quick Scan from the WD Lifeguard Tools (no errors...only took a couple minutes). I then downloaded and ran the hddscan program and set the AAM to 128. Downloaded the jmfs-rev104.iso file and burned it to a CD.

Powered down the PC, opened up the TiVo and pulled out the 320 GB drive and hooked it up to the PC (all PC connections are internal SATA). Running the upgrade right now! Copying looks like it will take a while (average rate is showing as about 36650 kB/s.

Will report back later on!
Sweet! I think most folks are reporting that the copy process takes about three hours or so.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #593
mattack

Since 'supersize' doesn't work on Tivo HD (and in fact makes it so that the drive size is the same as the original to Tivo), can you make it so that that feature is PREVENTED if you're trying to use a Tivo HD drive? Other than that, using jmfs was a nice and easy way to upgrade my Tivo HD drive!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #594
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Since 'supersize' doesn't work on Tivo HD (and in fact makes it so that the drive size is the same as the original to Tivo), can you make it so that that feature is PREVENTED if you're trying to use a Tivo HD drive? Other than that, using jmfs was a nice and easy way to upgrade my Tivo HD drive!
That's a question for The author, Comer.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #595
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Sweet! I think most folks are reporting that the copy process takes about three hours or so.
Thanks Rich! Seems to have gone perfectly! I updated post #591 so my experience using the WD20EARS in the TiVo Premier is captured all in one post.

TiVo Stream
Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #596
p_wallace

Quote:

I must again apologize for my stupidity. My tivo is an R10. I am somehow getting my DTV DVR model #'s (and I don't think they are correct for them
either,) mixed up in this discussion instead of the tivo.
You say that this upgrade probably won't work for this old of a receiver. You are probably correct about the PATA drive. I get confused about as easily about computer abbreviations as I am about my model number! Do you have any ideas about any upgrades for this model that would allow me to increase the recording space or can you point me to a location that might? BTW have you got any ideas as to what is causing my problem with failure to record shows due to lack of space messages? I know that there should be space on the drive if it were functioning correctly or maybe there is something else causing the messages?
THANKS
Pete
p_wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:00 AM   #597
richsadams

Quote:
I must again apologize for my stupidity. My tivo is an R10. I am somehow getting my DTV DVR model #'s (and I don't think they are correct for them
either,) mixed up in this discussion instead of the tivo.
You say that this upgrade probably won't work for this old of a receiver. You are probably correct about the PATA drive. I get confused about as easily about computer abbreviations as I am about my model number! Do you have any ideas about any upgrades for this model that would allow me to increase the recording space or can you point me to a location that might? BTW have you got any ideas as to what is causing my problem with failure to record shows due to lack of space messages? I know that there should be space on the drive if it were functioning correctly or maybe there is something else causing the messages?
THANKS
Pete
Sorry, no experience with an R10. However it looks like you have company...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=463351
Old 01-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #598
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I'm partial to having docks myself. I like being able to swap drives out quickly (both 3.5" and 2.5"). I have a Voyager Q like this. I like it because it also has a Firewire port for my Macs (much faster than USB). It's a bit spendy though.
Thanks for the recommendation; I just ordered one of these for myself. It's first task will be used for this Premiere upgrade. Afterwards, looks like it'll be a helpful tool, for all the random hard drives I've got hanging around and that come into my workspace.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #599
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
I'm partial to having docks myself. I like being able to swap drives out quickly (both 3.5" and 2.5"). I have a Voyager Q like this. I like it because it also has a Firewire port for my Macs (much faster than USB). It's a bit spendy though. For all-around stuff I also have a Thermaltake BlacX dock like this one. Both work great.

If it's a once-in-a-while thing a SATA/USB adapter like this one will work perfectly fine too.
Rich,

Do you know the kBps speeds the jmfs copy gets with these various units?

Have you ever used the jmfs style (ddrescue) copy from one firewire to another on your Mac booting the jmfs cd?

In particular, if I get one USB and one Firewire, what would the speed be and which one should be firewire?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #600
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Rich,

Do you know the kBps speeds the jmfs copy gets with these various units?

Have you ever used the jmfs style (ddrescue) copy from one firewire to another on your Mac booting the jmfs cd?

In particular, if I get one USB and one Firewire, what would the speed be and which one should be firewire?
I've always used the motherboard's SATA ports on a PC I keep around for these sorts of things so I've no idea what the transfer rates would be.

I don't think it would matter which drive is in which dock since it will default to the lowest common denominator, which in this case will be the USB drive...so it would be like doing it with two USB drives I would think. That being said I'd think the transfer rate would probably be around 320Mbps since USB rarely ever hits it's maximum capacity of 480Mbps. I guess if it were me I'd put the OEM TiVo drive in the Firewire dock just so it can be read a little faster but again I doubt that it will make much difference.