TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #541
jonja

I've upgraded the hard drive in my Tivo HD to 1TB over a year ago but decided to go with the 1TB WD Expander for the $60 Woot Premiere I bought last week (Newegg had the Expander for $80).

As a very technical person myself, I am starting to suffer buyer's regret wishing I had just picked up a WD20EURS and gone right to 2TB for $30 more. I have had lots of problems with my Tivo HD in the past -- all resolved now -- and have gotten a little squirrely about breaking the warranty on a Refurb, though I do find the arguments you can just put the original HD back in pretty convincing or I'd never had done it for the Tivo HD. And as I see it, for $80, I get 1.32 gigs and a lot less hassle. On the other hand, I like having a single point of failure and lower power usage and I don't really mind the hassle that much!...

Alas the DVR Expander has already shipped (I was going to cancel it). So here is my question. I know with the 1TB upgraded Tivo HD, that you can't add the My DVR Expander later for more capacity (unlike the XL). Is this still true for an already upgraded Premiere? I didn't see this in the FAQ. If I upgrade my Premiere to 2TB, can I add the DVR Expander for 3TB?? I hate paying for return shipping, and if I can always go to 3TB later, I may keep it.
jonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #542
Juano11

I've had good luck, for general use, with the WD 2TB EARS drives lately.

Has anyone had a problem with these in their Premiere using this upgrade process?

Thanks

John
Juano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #543
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonja View Post
I've upgraded the hard drive in my Tivo HD to 1TB over a year ago but decided to go with the 1TB WD Expander for the $60 Woot Premiere I bought last week (Newegg had the Expander for $80).

As a very technical person myself, I am starting to suffer buyer's regret wishing I had just picked up a WD20EURS and gone right to 2TB for $30 more. I have had lots of problems with my Tivo HD in the past -- all resolved now -- and have gotten a little squirrely about breaking the warranty on a Refurb, though I do find the arguments you can just put the original HD back in pretty convincing or I'd never had done it for the Tivo HD. And as I see it, for $80, I get 1.32 gigs and a lot less hassle. On the other hand, I like having a single point of failure and lower power usage and I don't really mind the hassle that much!...

Alas the DVR Expander has already shipped (I was going to cancel it). So here is my question. I know with the 1TB upgraded Tivo HD, that you can't add the My DVR Expander later for more capacity (unlike the XL). Is this still true for an already upgraded Premiere? I didn't see this in the FAQ. If I upgrade my Premiere to 2TB, can I add the DVR Expander for 3TB?? I hate paying for return shipping, and if I can always go to 3TB later, I may keep it.
NO the DVR expander will not work with the 2TB TP. I personally tried it. It just loops thru the process and never does install it.

"Series 4 TiVo: TCD746320 (aka TiVo Premiere), TCD748000 (aka TiVo Premiere XL)

TiVo Premiere come with a 320GB SATA internal hard drive, faster dual processor and HD user interface. TiVo Premiere XL is like TiVo Premiere but come with a 1TB SATA internal hard drive and THX certification.

Like Series 3, Series 4 TiVos have an eSATA or external port.
However, you can only add TiVo certified My DVR Expander using Tivo menu aka. plug and play method.

As of now, Series 4's file system can handle up to 4 TiB of disk space but there seems to be a bug in TiVo software that prevents it from using anything over 2 TiB (about 2.2 TB) reliably. So for now, 2 TiB is the most you can have."

That is why weaknees, dvrupgrade and dvr_dude on ebay don't sell anything above 2TB.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD

Last edited by retiredqwest : 01-24-2011 at 06:20 PM.
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #544
alyssa

Quote:
I've upgraded the hard drive in my Tivo HD to 1TB over a year ago but decided to go with the 1TB WD Expander .....
Personally, I'd stay *far* away from any MyDVR or MyBook product. There track record sucks.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #545
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Just booted my MacBook Pro with the jmfs CD, which booted fine. However, it did not recognize any live TiVo drive attached with the Thermaltake drive dock attached that has one blank and one virgin Premiere drive. I thought this should work, has anyone seen this work?

Going to try again and not plug in the USB until after boot and see if that helps.

ETA: No that did not help. Next step is to try the same boot disk in the mini, with the dock attached via esata.

ETA2: And the mini has no esata......grrrr. This aint gonna work is it?

Last edited by ThreeSoFar : 01-24-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: new info
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #546
jonja

VirtualBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Just booted my MacBook Pro with the jmfs CD, which booted fine. However, it did not recognize any live TiVo drive attached with the Thermaltake drive dock attached that has one blank and one virgin Premiere drive. I thought this should work, has anyone seen this work?

Going to try again and not plug in the USB until after boot and see if that helps.

ETA: No that did not help. Next step is to try the same boot disk in the mini, with the dock attached via esata.

Try booting with VirtualBox. I formatted an ext3 drive once with a Linux Live CD that booted under VB, using a Linux VM. It even supports USB.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #547
Gregor

Quote:

USB Docks with dual drives seem to be problematic. I have 2 usb sata/pata drive docks that worked fine.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #548
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
USB Docks with dual drives seem to be problematic. I have 2 usb sata/pata drive docks that worked fine.
So the individual (one per USB) ones are working, but these dual ones are iffy?

I need to return this to amazon if that's the case.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 AM   #549
richsadams

Quote:
So the individual (one per USB) ones are working, but these dual ones are iffy?

I need to return this to amazon if that's the case.
Dual drive docks won't work. Each drive has to have it's own dock or adapter.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #550
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Dual drive docks won't work. Each drive has to have it's own dock or adapter.
OK, so what are the fastest ones?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #551
jonja

Returning WD 1 TB drive

OK, now I feel shamed. Given that I've done this with my Tivo HD and WinMFS, not sure why I don't just put in a 2TB and be done with it?

So I got a RMA for the not-yet-arrived WD 1 TB My DVR and I ordered a 2TB WD20EURS for $111 from Buy.com. It sounds like the latest DVR optimized drive based on all of the discussions here. I like the idea of energy sipping in a new Energy Star device.

My new Premiere is a Woot Refurb and I have to admit I am nervous that something will go wrong and I will need warranty service. With my Tivo HD, I never requested it because it was easier/cheaper to try to fix it myself (after 90 days Tivo makes you pay $150 to fix something UNDER warranty. Only paid $60 for the Tivo Premiere. Should have bought two..) Does keeping the 320gig as a backup really work to ensure you can get warranty service?? I have Lifetime on the Premiere (same on my old Tivo HD 1TB, which I am now trying to sell).

Last edited by jonja : 01-25-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #552
richsadams

Quote:
OK, so what are the fastest ones?
If you're talking about USB docks or adapters, they're all basically the same. There's a USB 2.0 limit of 480Mbps. In actuality the speeds are usually about two-thitds to half that. When USB 3.0 rolls out things will improve markedly. 3.0 is rated at 4.8Gbps...it'll never hit that in the real world but even half of that will be 10 times better!

As long as you have a quality product, brand name and all of that you s/b fine. I'm partial to having docks myself. I like being able to swap drives out quickly (both 3.5" and 2.5"). I have a Voyager Q like this. I like it because it also has a Firewire port for my Macs (much faster than USB). It's a bit spendy though. For all-around stuff I also have a Thermaltake BlacX dock like this one. Both work great.

If it's a once-in-a-while thing a SATA/USB adapter like this one will work perfectly fine too.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #553
richsadams

Quote:
OK, now I feel shamed. Given that I've done this with my Tivo HD and WinMFS, not sure why I don't just put in a 2TB and be done with it?

So I got a RMA for the not-yet-arrived WD 1 TB My DVR and I ordered a 2TB WD20EURS for $111 from Buy.com. It sounds like the latest DVR optimized drive based on all of the discussions here. I like the idea of energy sipping in a new Energy Star device.

My new Premiere is a Woot Refurb and I have to admit I am nervous that something will go wrong and I will need warranty service. With my Tivo HD, I never requested it because it was easier/cheaper to try to fix it myself (after 90 days Tivo makes you pay $150 to fix something UNDER warranty. Only paid $60 for the Tivo Premiere. Should have bought two..) Does keeping the 320gig as a backup really work to ensure you can get warranty service?? I have Lifetime on the Premiere (same on my old Tivo HD 1TB, which I am now trying to sell).
Nothing to be ashamed of...we all have those "d'oh" moments. The WD20EURS should work fine in your TiVo HD. Mind you that although it is a dedicated A/V GP "green" drive, it's power saving is helpful but the only "DVR optimization" you'll get is that the AAM (auto acoustic management) is already set to 128 which is the quietest setting. Due to some things already being built in and others not being applicable, TiVo can't take advantage of the rest of the A/V specific features of the EURS (or EVDS, EVCS, etc.) line. That's not a good or bad thing...just is. Again, you s/b perfectly happy with your new drive.

FWIW TiVo has a full replacement parts and labor warranty for the first 90 days. After that TiVo's are still under a limited one-year labor warranty. More here:

http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/dvrlimitedwarranty.html

Replacements are $49 after 90 days through the first year. After a year TiVo generally offers to exchange a unit (providing they have them) for $149. The part that fails most often (by far) is the hard drive, so you're ahead of the game. FWIW drives don't fail that often either and the one you have has a three-year warranty.

Yes, absolutely...saving the original hard drive as a back up is a good idea. Not only can you slip it back in if it needs warranty service (of course there's no need to mention the upgrade to the CSR), but it will also get you up and running immediately should your new drive fail. Finally you can always use it to image a new/replacement drive in the future. That's pretty easy with a small 320GB drive, but the 1TB I have sitting on the shelf eats at me a little bit. I'd love to repurpose it...but I know better.

Happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 01-25-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #554
jonja

Got the WD20EURS today. Manufacture date of 26 Dec 2010. Can I assume everything is set in terms of that soft boot issue and the noise settings? The drive is just a month old today.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #555
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
My new Premiere is setup and now I'm eyeing the HD upgrade procedure. I'll be doing it from the bootable CD linked in the OP, via my Mac.

I've got a 2TB WD20EARS, manufacture data Oct 16 2010. I'm hoping I won't need to run wdidle3.exe but if I want to adjust the AAM (to 128) can this be done with a SATA-USB adapter? My only Windows machine at the moment is a laptop.

Lastly - does doing this upgrade preclude me, in the future, from perhaps plugging in a DVR Extender for even more space? Or is that still an available option? Just wondering.

Last edited by Fofer : 01-26-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #556
richsadams

Quote:
Got the WD20EURS today. Manufacture date of 26 Dec 2010. Can I assume everything is set in terms of that soft boot issue and the noise settings? The drive is just a month old today.
Hopefully. The only way to know will be to perform the upgrade, install it and see if it boots up. If it does try a menu restart. If it boots up initially and reboots from a menu restart then you're good to go. Based on several other posts it should work without having to adjust the Intellipark timeout.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #557
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I'm hoping I won't need to run widdle but if I want to adjust the AAM (to 128) can this be done with a SATA-USB adapter?
Yes. Only wdidle3.exe requires a direct SATA connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Lastly - does doing this upgrade preclude me, in the future, from perhaps plugging in a DVR Extender for even more space?
Yes again. The "plug and pray" ability to attach an eSATA drive is lost after any upgrade (although an expansion drive can be manually married/blessed using winMFS or MFSTools in the case of 1TB or smaller upgrades...using winMFS or MFSTools as the upgrade program.) Due to the current partition structure TiVo cannot handle anything more than 2TB's anyway.

Happy upgrading!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #558
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks for the prompt reply richsadams, I'll post about my upgrade experience when I'm done.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #559
jonja

wdidle3.exe requires a direct SATA connection?

Quote:
Yes. Only wdidle3.exe requires a direct SATA connection.
I hope then my WD20EURS works without tweaking then. I do not have direct access to a 3.5" SATA connector (I am not opening up my iMac, and my laptops don't have 3.5" drives).

Rich, do you know if eSATA will work with wdidle3.exe? I have an eSATA port on my Thinkpad and an enclosure with eSATA on it (though not sure if it can support beyond 1TB. It is a Macally triple play, USB/FW400/eSATA).
Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #560
runt

So, the currently recommended upgrade size is 2TB, right?

My current choices are
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136514 for a 2TB drive,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136490 for a 1TB drive or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136513 for a 1.5TB drive.
runt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #561
richsadams

Quote:
I hope then my WD20EURS works without tweaking then. I do not have direct access to a 3.5" SATA connector (I am not opening up my iMac, and my laptops don't have 3.5" drives).

Rich, do you know if eSATA will work with wdidle3.exe? I have an eSATA port on my Thinkpad and an enclosure with eSATA on it (though not sure if it can support beyond 1TB. It is a Macally triple play, USB/FW400/eSATA).
Oh, come on...opening an iMac is a piece of cake! I'm looking at mine right now and...oh, wait.

Unfortunately eSATA won't work. If it's not a direct SATA port connection on the motherboard the only other option is a PCI SATA card.

Again, with the December manufacture date...plus the EURS being an A/V dedicated drive my bet is you won't have to worry about the Intellipark setting.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #562
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by runt View Post
So, the currently recommended upgrade size is 2TB, right?

My current choices are
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136514 for a 2TB drive,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136490 for a 1TB drive or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136513 for a 1.5TB drive.
Those are all fine drives and will work for your TiVo upgrade. At this point I would go with Amazon.com. Their packaging is much better than Newegg's. The drive I just bought from Amazon had double-box packing. The last drive I bought from Newegg was a bare drive in a static-cling envelope floating around with a bunch of packing peanuts. Amazon's return policy is superior as well.

The WD20EARS is a good choice. At Amazon it's only $79.99 AR:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...6081623&sr=8-1

The WD10EARS is fine as well, but for $10 more you can go from 1TB to 2TB's of recording goodness. Again, I'd buy it from Amazon for the packing and to save $5 over Newegg.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...6081814&sr=1-1

The WD15EARS is also good, but again...Amazon. (For only $5 more you can get the 2TB drive.)

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...6081914&sr=1-1

My policy has always been to go with as much storage capacity as I can afford.

Happy upgrading!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #563
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Those are all fine drives and will work for your TiVo upgrade. At this point I would go with Amazon.com. Their packaging is much better than Newegg's. The drive I just bought from Amazon had double-box packing. The last drive I bought from Newegg was a bare drive in a static-cling envelope floating around with a bunch of packing peanuts. Amazon's return policy is superior as well.
No argument here, but Rich, you guys on the West coast have it bad when it comes to Newegg. I use them a LOT and it always comes VERY quickly and only once DOA (of over 20 drives). I've NEVER seen just peanuts with a drive delivery from their New Jersey location. It's always been bubble wrap, wrapped around the anti-static envelope, and often double boxed as well.

Still, it's a bit subpar compared to Amazon, and their (Newegg's) return policy is awful. If a couple bubbles pop along a corner of the corner of the drive, and it finds its way to the edge of the outer box....
Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #564
richsadams

Quote:
No argument here, but Rich, you guys on the West coast have it bad when it comes to Newegg. I use them a LOT and it always comes VERY quickly and only once DOA (of over 20 drives). I've NEVER seen just peanuts with a drive delivery from their New Jersey location. It's always been bubble wrap, wrapped around the anti-static envelope, and often double boxed as well.

Still, it's a bit subpar compared to Amazon, and their (Newegg's) return policy is awful. If a couple bubbles pop along a corner of the corner of the drive, and it finds its way to the edge of the outer box....
Wait...that kinda sounds like an argument. FWIW I've received DOA drives from both companies, but Amazon makes it a breeze to return anything...newegg, not so much. Sounds like their packing may have improved and that's a good thing.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #565
jonja

I am using WD Lifeguard on the WD20EURS right now with extended test. So far so good. Can't use jtms to clone the drive yet since the cable company has yet to pair the cablecards with the premiere. Might come tomorrow if there is no snow. And I probably should let the Premiere actually run with the cablecards for a couple of days before making the upgrade.

Incidentally, I turned the video input to the Premiere today (still using the Tivo HD as my primary Tivo) and got greeted with a blank screen. The Premiere has been active for just 5 days now (running analog channels). I had to unplug it and reboot the Premiere. Is this normal for the Premieres? I am running HD menus. Am I going to regret getting the Premiere?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #566
zand94

Just received my drives - dates vary - tweaking necessary?

The WD20EARS is a good choice. At Amazon it's only $79.99 AR:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...6081623&sr=8-1

I just came home with both of my woot TPs and the drives above I had ordered from amazon. The MFG dates are 9/19/10 and 10/22/10

From looking through this thread and a few others it looks like my Sept drive may need tweaked but the october drive should not... is that correct?

Alex
zand94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #567
Mahty

Quote:
I am using WD Lifeguard on the WD20EURS right now with extended test. So far so good.
I'm also currently running the Extended Test of the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows toolset on a brand new WD20EURS before I try the jmfs/WinMFS combo method on a TiVoHD. (WinMFS is needed for the Supersize step on a TiVoHD).

I'm doing this test on an iMac running Windows XP in the VMware Fusion environment with the connection to the WD20EURS via a USB docking station. This configuration is so inefficient that it will take a currently estimated 55 hours to test the WD20EURS! (Less than 9 hours to go as I type and so far so good!)

I used this same setup to test a couple of new WD15EVDS drives this past year and those (successful!) Extended Tests lasted 52 hours and 40 hours, respectively. (I'm guessing the second Extended Test might have been faster because I upgraded VMware Fusion at some point in time between the two tests. And/or maybe there were just fewer other processes taxing the iMac CPU at the time.) I think my only real option to speed things up would have been to boot my iMac directly into Windows XP, but I didn't want to be without my Mac OS for what still might have been a potentially extended period.

Afterthought: Hmm ... out of curiosity, perhaps I'll try the test with a direct-boot-into-Windows at some point. I guess I would only need to start the test and let it run for a few hours in order to get a reasonable ballpark estimate of what the time savings might be (might have been).

Last edited by Mahty : 01-26-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Mahty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #568
jonja

iMac also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahty View Post
I'm doing this test on an iMac running Windows XP in the VMware Fusion environment with the connection to the WD20EURS via a USB docking station. This configuration is so inefficient that it will take a currently estimated 55 hours to test the WD20EURS! (Less than 9 hours to go as I type and so far so good!).
Got my iMac running Lifeguard using Bootcamp (Win7). As you might imagine, it's not so bad: 19 hours ;-) But I may use Virtualbox when I create the image using jtms for the Premiere.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #569
lessd

Quote:

For any DOA drive I have ever gotten from Newegg they E-Mailed a free return lable and I sent it back recieving a full refund (I would order another drive at the same time) so other than having to make a phone call I found it as good as Amazons return system.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #570
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by zand94 View Post
I just came home with both of my woot TPs and the drives above I had ordered from amazon. The MFG dates are 9/19/10 and 10/22/10

From looking through this thread and a few others it looks like my Sept drive may need tweaked but the october drive should not... is that correct?

Alex
There's a good chance you won't have to do anything about the Intellipark settings for either one.