TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #511
747sportsfan

For the mildly adventurous, and yet budget constrained, Staples on Sun/Mon 1/23-24 has the 2 TB WD External My Book Essential on sale down to 99.99 from 179.99. There is a $20 Staples Easy Rebate (ie online submission) and the kicker is that one is able to buy a $25 off $75 coupon from ebay or ejunkies type site for a couple of bucks, so one can realistically get a 2 TB drive for under $60 (depending on the tax where you live) after using the coupon and the rebate.

The drive is on the front page as a Sunday/Monday special. If you are searching online, the Staples Item Number is 819933 and it is yet to be determined if this is just an in-store deal or not.

The relevant thing to the tivo is that lo and behold, the drive in the enclosure is the WD 20EARS which has been recommended as a good upgrade drive to expand and supersize by comerizing in the current thread. And while there does not appear to be a great how to open the WD Essential enclosure available by a google search, for the adventurous and somewhat patient, it is not a difficult endeavor. From the spine end of the drive, both top and bottom, slowly pry with a narrow flat head screwdriver, the slim plastic case back away from the plug in side of the drive enclosure. By twisting and sliding, slowly inching the case back, you will move the drive further and further towards seperation. There are clips inside the plastic enclosure case which keep the drive steady, but as more of the drive is moved, you can wiggle the drive out of the clips and after a short while the drive and its housing are free of the stubborn enclosure. Remarkably, from there, you unsnap a couple of plastic clips/holders and the only thing preventing you from having a bare 2TB drive are a pair of screws attaching the guts of the power (SATA, USB, Power led) to the drive. Undo those screws and you have a drive that you can use as your target drive for the Comer expansion and Supersize.

If you have read this far, there are a couple of software/firmware upgrades that WD suggests for the My Book Essentials that you should probably do, certainly before the Comer procedure (wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdsmartwareutilities is the firmware update and then make sure you do part 2 of that to disable the Virtual CD Manager for Windows). They are pretty straightforward so that when you run your WD diagnostics, you should end up with a clean drive with darn near the full 2 TB available for the Comer treatment.

And not at a huge expense. Not sure if the drive is eligible also for the WD Rebate also of $20 that seems to be running all month, but if so, that should make even the grumpiest of the Woot refurb buyers happy to be able to cheaply increase the Tivo Premiere's capacity.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps some people, or at least one person.
747sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #512
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

This is looking disappointing, and after about 12 hours of backing up throughout the day that may all be for naught.

I used jmfs to upgrade my 1TB HDTiVo drive (which was upgraded from its stock drive long ago with mfslive cd). After expanding, jmfs reported 287 HD hours, so it looked like it worked.

But upon booting the newly upgraded 2TB drive, the TiVo reported that it could not detect the EXTERNAL STORAGE. (I've NEVER had external storage.)

There were two options at that point--Hard reboot or pressENTER to permanently remove the external storage and lose recordings. I'd already chosen the latter before I realized the former MAY have had a chance. Anyway, the divorce took a while, and it's in welcome-powering up right now....
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #513
retiredqwest

You can't use JMFS to copy and expand anything but the stock THD/THDXL drives.

Unless you want to browse thru this thread for my messages about this, you can read this thread...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

Tivoitis has got it down in one message on using JMFS on a THD.

I didn't notice your message until you said you were doing the copying.... by then it was too late to say anything.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #514
Kingsam88

I'm sorry that i wasn't using i guess correct grammar on a forum.... Just not what I'm used to.

Anyways, i still would imagine the idea i have is quite if not completely possible. i really don't know why no one has tried it and i don't honestly see how it could be that hard. With the right amount of time and effort that is. As for why do it in the first place, well i already bought the $30 eSATA enclosure and i don't really want that to go to waste.

I would imagine a way to do it would to re-image the non-verified drive to look and seem like the Western Digital drive or "mimic" it.
Kingsam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #515
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post

Unless you want to browse thru this thread for my messages about this, you can read this thread...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

Tivoitis has got it down in one message on using JMFS on a THD.

I didn't notice your message until you said you were doing the copying.... by then it was too late to say anything.
Thanks for chiming in after the fact though. If I'd done my research here, I'd have found this and saved a day. No big, no harm. I have the stock HD drive for upgrading with, and will do so at some point. But getting the current 1TB drive empty enough with transfers and watching will take some time.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #516
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsam88 View Post
I'm sorry that i wasn't using i guess correct grammar on a forum.... Just not what I'm used to.

Anyways, i still would imagine the idea i have is quite if not completely possible. i really don't know why no one has tried it and i don't honestly see how it could be that hard. With the right amount of time and effort that is. As for why do it in the first place, well i already bought the $30 eSATA enclosure and i don't really want that to go to waste.

I would imagine a way to do it would to re-image the non-verified drive to look and seem like the Western Digital drive or "mimic" it.
I've no experience with using the eSata port. Upgrading the internal drive has always been trivially easy, and when I saw the MANY problems people were having with the eSata port, I've always just recommended against it.

It's a VERY bad failure case when it goes bad. You lose everything you've recorded, even though it isn't necessarily all on the failed external drive.

When a single internal drive fails or begins to, the ddrescue mfs tool has a pretty good chance at recovering your shows (not trivial to use, but not brain surgery either).

PS: Your previous post's grammar wasn't really the problem. It was just that it was a giant runon sentence with no punctuation or capitals or whitespace or anything to break up the various parts of it. I literally had to read it three times before I got what you wanted enough to speak to it. I nearly gave up after two. I touch-type very fast, so the caps and punctuation and such are easy for me to do. Written communication has been critical to my work for quite some time, and it's also something I enjoy doing (reading and writing) quite a bit. I am a bit sad to see it being abused, but believe me--you're not the first. It's a dying skill/art.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #517
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Got my three Premiere's yesterday....upgraded the first to 2TB before even booting it up. Just now tried the soft boot and it WORKED (I had thought I may need wdidle3, but it worked fine). The 2TB WD20EARS was dated Sep2010.
Sweet! Did you happen to notice the exact date in September? I've got a WD20EARS sitting here I'm going to pop into our Premiere XL with a date of Oct 14, 2010 so I think it'll be fine. I'm going to run wdidle3.exe just to check out what the timeout is set for but not make any adjustments so I can see if it has the Intellipark issue. TIA.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #518
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747sportsfan View Post
For the mildly adventurous, and yet budget constrained, Staples on Sun/Mon 1/23-24 has the 2 TB WD External My Book Essential on sale down to 99.99 from 179.99.<snip>
Welcome to the forum. You can currently buy the same drive from Amazon for $99.99 and receive a $20 Visa Cash Card from WD making the total $79.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...5680112&sr=8-1

Deals like that are very common now. Only the bare drives are eligible for the current WD rebate. Also be aware that if you remove the hard drive from a WD (or any brand) enclosure it voids the one-year warranty. (The same bare drive has a three-year warranty.) Bottom line, there's really no reason to buy an external drive just to get the hard drive inside. You'll pay about as much or more and end up with a hard drive with no warranty.

FWIW the jmfs program formats the new drive so none of the software/firmware modifications or updates mentioned (from WD or anywhere else) have any bearing when it comes to using a hard drive in TiVo (or any Linux based application) so no drive "prep" is required prior to performing the upgrade.

Nice thought though and happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 01-22-2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Add link for new member
Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #519
richsadams

Quote:
Well, that's not good news. With winMFS you can use upgraded drives to image new ones as long as you continue to expand (750GB > 1TB for example). Apparently not so with jmfs...that's too bad.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #520
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsam88 View Post

Trust me, if something is possible when it comes to TiVo it's most likely already been tried, but I'm still not clear about what you want to do (or why). If you're suggesting running TiVo by substituting the internal hard drive for one housed in an external enclosure connected via the eSATA port, there are a multitude of roadblocks and reasons that won't work, but I'm not sure that's what you mean.

If you're concerned about voiding your warranty by opening TiVo and installing a new hard drive you shouldn't be. Although it's true that TiVo knows when an upgrade has been performed (if they were to view their logs), if something goes south and you need warranty assistance all you need to do is slip the original drive back in and return it. If you do have trouble and need to discuss it with a TiVo CSR, there's no need to mention the upgrade. TiVo is fully aware of enthusiasts performing upgrades but tends to turn a blind eye as long as the box is returned intact. IIRC in 10 years or so there have only been two reports of TiVo denying warranty service...and on both occasions the owners felt a need to discuss their upgrades for some reason.

FWIW the part that most often fails in TiVo (by far) is the hard drive. If you keep your original TiVo hard drive on the shelf and your new/upgraded hard drive fails, you can easily slip the original drive back in and be back up and running in a heartbeat. You can also use the original drive to simply image another new hard drive.

So as ThreeSoFar has recommended, upgrade the internal drive (use your enclosure for something else or return it) and you'll be fine.

Last edited by richsadams : 01-22-2011 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #521
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Sweet! Did you happen to notice the exact date in September? I've got a WD20EARS sitting here I'm going to pop into our Premiere XL with a date of Oct 14, 2010 so I think it'll be fine. I'm going to run wdidle3.exe just to check out what the timeout is set for but not make any adjustments so I can see if it has the Intellipark issue. TIA.
SEP 10, IIRC.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #522
sa_smcvic

ISO image is not bootable on my Dell PC

I've burned the ISO image to a CD, and my WIN XP computer will not boot from it. It asks gives me the "Boot from CD:" and asks me to insert a SYSTEM disk. Do I need a Linux OS PC to do this procedure?

I've tried my WINXP HP computer and it won't boot either. I verified the ISO file is on the CD and the CD is finalized. The downloaded jmfs 104 zip file only unzips into only one file for me. Is that correct?

This is my first time in the TIVO community, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sa_smcvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #523
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_smcvic View Post
I've burned the ISO image to a CD, and my WIN XP computer will not boot from it. It asks gives me the "Boot from CD:" and asks me to insert a SYSTEM disk. Do I need a Linux OS PC to do this procedure?
No. Burned properly, this CD HAS a Linux OS bootable image.
Quote:
I've tried my WINXP HP computer and it won't boot either. I verified the ISO file is on the CD and the CD is finalized. The downloaded jmfs 104 zip file only unzips into only one file for me. Is that correct?

Thanks.
If you are seeing the .iso file listed on a directory/folder when the CD is in, you burned the CD wrong. You wrote the .iso as a single data file on a regular data CD. Instead, you need to burn the .iso as a bootable CD. Someone current on how to do that on Windows will have to chime in, but I know Roxio CD Creator or similar software would know what to do with it.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #524
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
SEP 10, IIRC.
Ah, right on the "cusp". Good to know. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #525
bowlingblogger

Just upgraded my new Woot! Premiere with a WD20EARS, and it couldn't have been easier thanks to comer's nifty tool (beer money will be on the way). My EARS has a build date of 9/22/10 and when I booted the wdidle disk it reported that the Intellipark timer was set to 8 seconds. I preemptively set it to 300 seconds in case it wouldn't boot once I installed it, but from some reports in this thread and the main expansion thread it looks like I may not needed to do that. Oh well! Just glad to have 317 hours.
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #526
richsadams

Quote:

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum. As ThreeSoFar pointed out, you've probably copied the .iso file rather than having created a boot disk. You'll need a program to convert the .iso file to a boot disk CD. Mac and Linux have one built in but Windows does not. There are a number of Windows programs that will do that both retail and free such as these for XP:

http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Download one of those programs and follow the directions.

Caveat: I haven't used any of the programs listed (haven't really used XP for a while) so I can't say which one is better than another, but I'd go for the one with the easiest instructions and see how it goes.

Once you have the boot disk all you need to do is insert it in your PC's CD/DVD drive and shut it down. Restart it and it should boot into the jmfs Linux program (you may get a screen prompt to boot from the CD, just say "yes" or "okay", etc.) If it boots into Windows instead it means that your PC's boot sequence will need to be changed in the BIOS settings (quite easy) to allow it to boot from the optical (CD/DVD) drive first. More about that here:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/chang...rder-xp-vista/

Each manufacturer has a different way to enter the BIOS settings. The linked article has a short list or you may have to do a little research. However most have a prompt when you first boot up your machine. For instance when I first boot up an old Dell I have, in the upper RH corner it says "F2 = Setup". While that screen is present if I hold down the F2 key on my keyboard it automatically enters the computer's BIOS settings where I can change the order of the drive sequence to ensure that it will look at the CD/DVD ROM drive first, then the hard drive, etc. when it boots up.

Once your PC has booted into the jmfs program, just follow the instructions on the first post of this thread.

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #527
retiredqwest

Quote:

Thanks.
You created a data CD because it just copied the file to the CD.

Find the file on the hard drive and double-click it and see what happens.

Hopefully the burning software will know what to do with it. If you aren't sure of what is going on. Look for an option for creating a cd-rom iso or an option to burn a CD image.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #528
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingblogger View Post
Just upgraded my new Woot! Premiere with a WD20EARS, and it couldn't have been easier thanks to comer's nifty tool (beer money will be on the way). My EARS has a build date of 9/22/10 and when I booted the wdidle disk it reported that the Intellipark timer was set to 8 seconds. I preemptively set it to 300 seconds in case it wouldn't boot once I installed it, but from some reports in this thread and the main expansion thread it looks like I may not needed to do that. Oh well! Just glad to have 317 hours.
Excellent! Sure makes having a 2TB Premiere fairly "cost effective" that way.

Enjoy!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #529
sa_smcvic

Thanks for the ISO image newbie help. I have a better understanding of what a boot cd is now.

I was not successfull in expanding and supersizing my 2TB drive using my source 160GB TIVO HD drive. It reported successfull, but my TIVO still reported 21 HD hours. My original disk had a software version 11.0j. I'm not sure if winmfs will help make my 2TB drive useful. I don't want to now purchase a 1TB drive.

If anyone can help outside this premiere forum, please feel free to PM me if it's not meant to be distributed here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
sa_smcvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #530
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for the ISO image newbie help. I have a better understanding of what a boot cd is now.

I was not successfull in expanding and supersizing my 2TB drive using my source 160GB TIVO HD drive. It reported successfull, but my TIVO still reported 21 HD hours. My original disk had a software version 11.0j. I'm not sure if winmfs will help make my 2TB drive useful. I don't want to now purchase a 1TB drive.

If anyone can help outside this premiere forum, please feel free to PM me if it's not meant to be distributed here.

Sounds like something went wrong during the upgrade. I would try from scratch again.

The software version doesn't matter and winMFS won't help in this situation (except if you wanted to run Supersize alone).
Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #531
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
....You'll need a program to convert the .iso file to a boot disk CD. Mac and Linux have one built in but Windows does not. There are a number of Windows programs that will do that both retail and free such as these for XP:

http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

From that list, I like the Active@Iso program, but I use Win7.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #532
supersnoop

Quote:

You cannot supersize a TiVo HD drive with jmfs. You have to use the supersize option in WinMFS.

This thread is specific to the Premier box. If you want to upgrade a TiVo HD with a 2TB drive, read here.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #533
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnoop View Post
You cannot supersize a TiVo HD drive with jmfs. You have to use the supersize option in WinMFS.

This thread is specific to the Premier box. If you want to upgrade a TiVo HD with a 2TB drive, read here.
Thanks for the link the the TiVoitis THD 2TB Upgrade thread...didn't even realize it existed. Nice.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #534
wp746911

I was one of the 'early' upgraders to my premiere (2tb drive)- done within the first few weeks. I think when I did this that some of the HD space was wasted (total free space was less than 200 hours). If I remember correctly this has been fixed with the supersize instructions- what can I do to change mine from an earlier 2tb version to one with supersize?
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #535
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
I was one of the 'early' upgraders to my premiere (2tb drive)- done within the first few weeks. I think when I did this that some of the HD space was wasted (total free space was less than 200 hours). If I remember correctly this has been fixed with the supersize instructions- what can I do to change mine from an earlier 2tb version to one with supersize?
Take a look at your total HD recording space in the System Information menu, it s/b around 288 (if it's not, something else is up).

For a Premiere or Premiere XL do as retiredqwest advises below and reconnect your drive to your computer, run jmfs and run Supersize.

Owners that upgraded their TiVo HD/HDXL early can follow the instructions using winMFS to Supersize your TiVo HD's hard drive and then see what your total HD recording space is in System Info:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=462179

http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/

After Supersizing your total HD recording space s/b about 317 hours.

Last edited by richsadams : 01-23-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Add correction
Old 01-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #536
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post

Just get the latest copy of JMFS and just plug in the 2TB drive. You'll see the Supersize option..... just run it and then put the drive back in the TP and it should show 317 hrs HD.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #537
richsadams

Quote:
Just get the latest copy of JMFS and just plug in the 2TB drive. You'll see the Supersize option..... just run it and then put the drive back in the TP and it should show 317 hrs HD.
Apologies, that's correct if the TiVo is a Premiere or Premiere XL...and after looking that's what the OP has. I was under the impression that he had a TiVo HD for some reason.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #538
jcthorne

I am trying to diagnose a playback problem that 'could' be hard drive related.

If i transfer a large 1080res movie file to the tivoe using pytivo (h.264 video and ac3 audio) as I have been doing for years, the file begins to play fine but will occaisionally 'hickup' where the video freezes for a few moments (audio usually continues) and then jumps ahead a minute or so and begins playing normally again.

I can rew the video back to before the anomoly occures and it plays through the same section again perfectly so its not the file itself. Could this be a result of the EARS drive I used? Any way to find out? Would an AV certified or higher performance drive be likely to help? Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #539
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I am trying to diagnose a playback problem that 'could' be hard drive related.

If i transfer a large 1080res movie file to the tivoe using pytivo (h.264 video and ac3 audio) as I have been doing for years, the file begins to play fine but will occaisionally 'hickup' where the video freezes for a few moments (audio usually continues) and then jumps ahead a minute or so and begins playing normally again.

I can rew the video back to before the anomoly occures and it plays through the same section again perfectly so its not the file itself. Could this be a result of the EARS drive I used? Any way to find out? Would an AV certified or higher performance drive be likely to help? Has anyone else seen this behaviour?
Name/model of drive wouldn't be causing this, IMO.

Is it happening with more than one file? If it's the same file, that file itself may be corrupt at that/those points.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #540
jcthorne

I has happened with every 1080res movie I have played. about 10 so far. Again, if I play the section of the film that hickups a second time, it plays fine. If I play the same file through again, it hickups in a different point. Could be bitrate or HD data stream related. Hard to diagnose. Might even depend on what the Premiere was doing in the background at the time.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote