TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #481
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by marspinball View Post
I purchased two WD20EURS from buy.com. Manufacture dates were November 5th and 6th. Both had the intellipark feature disabled and AAM at 128 out of the box. Ran the WD test utilities/scan which took about five hours to run (each drive). I just let those run overnight.<snip>
Nice work. Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #482
rainbow

Circuit City has the WD2DEARS on sale for $99.99 (with $20 mail in rebate from WD thru 1/16/11 purchase) or WD2DEADS for $10 more.

I had read elsewhere in the forum that there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 2 (one has 32mb cache and the other 64).

If you were buying now, which would you go for?

note: I see that Newegg has an addtl $10 off of the EARS using code EMCKJJG27, so I might go thru them to get the drive. (plus 1.5pc rebate if secured thru fatwallet.

Last edited by rainbow : 01-15-2011 at 11:07 AM.
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #483
jcthorne

Just adding on for one more data point.

Just installed a 2TB EARS WD drive. 64MB cache and production date of 10/10/10 (guess this drive is all tens!). Completed Comers copy, expand and supersize without errors (thanks Comer!) and works perfectly in my new Premier. It also completed the 14.6 to 14.7 software update and several soft boots without diffeculty.

Got it for $80 AR from Amazon.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #484
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Only Premiere, Premiere XL, TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL.
Why not the Series 3, does anyone know? Seems pretty similar to the THD.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #485
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Why not the Series 3, does anyone know? Seems pretty similar to the THD.
I gave that one a try. Turns out it has a different partition structure.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #486
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Circuit City has the WD2DEARS on sale for $99.99 (with $20 mail in rebate from WD thru 1/16/11 purchase) or WD2DEADS for $10 more.

I had read elsewhere in the forum that there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 2 (one has 32mb cache and the other 64).

If you were buying now, which would you go for?

note: I see that Newegg has an addtl $10 off of the EARS using code EMCKJJG27, so I might go thru them to get the drive. (plus 1.5pc rebate if secured thru fatwallet.
The WD20EARS will work fine. More about it here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...39#post8263939

FWIW Amazon has the WD20EARS for $79 ARB w/free shipping. Amazon's much easier to deal with than Newegg for returns and Amazon also packs their hard drives better.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...1451834&sr=1-1
Old 01-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #487
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Just adding on for one more data point.

Just installed a 2TB EARS WD drive. 64MB cache and production date of 10/10/10 (guess this drive is all tens!). Completed Comers copy, expand and supersize without errors (thanks Comer!) and works perfectly in my new Premier. It also completed the 14.6 to 14.7 software update and several soft boots without diffeculty.

Got it for $80 AR from Amazon.
Sweet! Enjoy!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #488
Gregor

Ran this overnight with $80 WD drive from Amazon. Took several hours - I used a MacBookPro and a couple of USB-SATA connectors, for a Premiere drive.

Works like a charm.

Note that the Rebate as posted on Amazon is for up to 5 drives, so let the mass upgrading begin!

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #489
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
Ran this overnight with $80 WD drive from Amazon. Took several hours - I used a MacBookPro and a couple of USB-SATA connectors, for a Premiere drive.

Works like a charm.

Note that the Rebate as posted on Amazon is for up to 5 drives, so let the mass upgrading begin!
2TB's of recording heaven!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #490
tommymarvel

Thumbs up Another successful Premiere upgrade to 2TB

Cementing Comer's legend status with another successful 2TB upgrade. I used the wd20eurs from Buy.com and completed the backup via two separate Thermaltake USB 2.0 docks. Tivo estimates 317 hours HD capacity.

For those considering a dual dock like the Thermaltake duet over USB 2.0--it didn't work for me. The live CD would only recognize one drive at a time until I borrowed another dock and connected the drives separately.

Oh yeah, I got the 14.7 update too.
tommymarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #491
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post

Works like a charm.

I know....I got three 2TBs for the new Premiere's on the way, I just added two more for the HDTiVos, too. Gotta pull the trigger today though, rebate ends 16 JAN.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #492
Gregor

Note the rebate form wants the serial #s of the drives - so copy that off before you put the drive in the Tivo....

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #493
supersnoop

Fry's has the Western Digital Elements external 2TB drive on sale for $89.99. Pop open the external case and there's a WD20EARS inside. I pulled the drive and I'm getting it ready for a THD 2TB setup. And I'll use the external case with an old drive.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #494
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnoop View Post
Fry's has the Western Digital Elements external 2TB drive on sale for $89.99. Pop open the external case and there's a WD20EARS inside. I pulled the drive and I'm getting it ready for a THD 2TB setup. And I'll use the external case with an old drive.
That's an option now and then but the issue with doing that is that it voids the drive warranty. The other downside to WD's external drives is that they only carry a 12 month warranty. Their bare drives have a three-year warranty. But if that's not an issue (and hopefully it won't be) then enjoy.

Still time to get the same (bare) drive from Amazon for $79.99 AR w/free shipping. But as ThreeSoFar noted, deal ends today.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...1451834&sr=1-1

Last edited by richsadams : 01-17-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #495
gt7610c

FYI to all, WD posted a new $20 rebate/VISA card ends 1/31 valid at the usual places.

Ran WD Data Lifeguard full test and came back ok.
Successfully copied/expanded/supersized a WD20EARS drive.
Prod date 27 Oct 10 that came w/intellipark disabled, had to set AAM to 128. Now to send Comer some beer money
gt7610c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #496
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7610c View Post
FYI to all, WD posted a new $20 rebate/VISA card ends 1/31 valid at the usual places.

Ran WD Data Lifeguard full test and came back ok.
Successfully copied/expanded/supersized a WD20EARS drive.
Prod date 27 Oct 10 that came w/intellipark disabled, had to set AAM to 128. Now to send Comer some beer money
Thanks for that and enjoy!

Link to $79.99 (AR) WD20EARS HDD

Link to $20 WD rebate (Visa Cash Card) good through Jan 31st.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #497
jcthorne

Please pardon the related but slightly off topic question. Seems there are quite a few folks here that know a thing or three about hard drives.

For PC use (not tivo), can I use one of the new 3TB SATA drives from WD in a standard SATA to USB enclosure (like the Antech MX-100) or dock or does the enclosure need to be something different for these new drives larger than 2.2TB?

Also, Amazon has the Seagate 2TB LP drive on sale for $75, free shipping and no rebate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #498
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Please pardon the related but slightly off topic question. Seems there are quite a few folks here that know a thing or three about hard drives.

For PC use (not tivo), can I use one of the new 3TB SATA drives from WD in a standard SATA to USB enclosure (like the Antech MX-100) or dock or does the enclosure need to be something different for these new drives larger than 2.2TB?

Also, Amazon has the Seagate 2TB LP drive on sale for $75, free shipping and no rebate.
Regarding the 3TB drive, it depends on a couple of things, the enclosure and your operating system. I don't believe the Antec MX-1 is rated for 3TB but you should contact them to find out (they are very responsive). If you have an Apple or Linux computer, no problem. If you're running Windows it depends on the OS (XP, Vista, W7, etc.) and if you're running 32 bit or 64bit. For 32 bit systems there's a 2.2TB limit but there are work arounds and IIRC some of the new 3TB external (and possibly some internal) drives use a special host controller. 64 bit systems can utilize the new 3TB drives. You'd need to do some research. Here's area a couple of documents to get you started:

http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techl...finalwebv2.pdf

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...it-can-handle/

FWIW I used to be a Seagate man for years but ever since they acquired Maxtor their QC has suffered a great deal so anyone buying Seagate drives these days should proceed with caution. Another Seagate drive caveat is that the AAM (auto acoustic management) cannot be adjusted so being aware of the drive acoustic specs is very important. Stock TiVo (WD) drives are about 2.6 bels and WD AV GP drives seek noise is around 2.4 bels for reference. Also know that all drive manufacturers tend to under report drive noise.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #499
jcthorne

Thanks, appreciate the information. Unfortunatly still no real answers. I did contact Antech and they tell me that they only tested either of thier enclosures to 2TB as that was all that was available when they were designed.

The Hitachi page you referred me to seems to indicate as others have told me, that for external storage via USB, the OS does not matter. IE 3TB drives are fine on XP using this method, just not as internal drives or boot drives. The controller in the enclosure does the translation anyway.

I have searched high and low and NONE of the enclosure manufactures state thier enclosures work for greater than 2TB. Not that they won't, just untested. I had hoped someone here had some first hand knowledge on these issues they could offer.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #500
richsadams

FWIW the Antec MX-1's spec page said that it worked with all drives "up to 1TB" for quite a while after 2TB drives had been introduced. It turned out that 2TB drives worked fine in them but it took them months to update their info. Might be worth a try.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #501
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Comer: Very nice job on the software. I tested one of my new 2TB drives just by upgrading from a stock HDTiVo drive off the shelf. Now it's upgrading the first TiVo Premiere drive (before I even booted it).

One question (for anyone): Will it be able to copy/mfsadd from a 1TB HDTiVo and use the full 2TB drive? The 1TB was upgraded via the mfsLive CD.

Some simple improvement ideas if there's ever a new version.
  • When [C]opying, give a start time, and stop time (keep both visible when it finishes), or at least a net transfer time after it's done.
  • Why not turn on an extra terminal or two at a root prompt? (Alt-F2, Alt-F3)
  • Show the current time on the menu, or maybe all the time.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #502
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

What's a good Linux tool (one either on Comer's jmfs image or on most bootable CD distros) to test a new hard drive to confirm it's healthy? Long/overnight is fine....
Old 01-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #503
richsadams

Quote:
One question (for anyone): Will it be able to copy/mfsadd from a 1TB HDTiVo and use the full 2TB drive? The 1TB was upgraded via the mfsLive CD.
IIRC a couple of other folks have done exactly that. As long as you're continuing to expand there shouldn't be a problem. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or let me know if it doesn't work.

Quote:
What's a good Linux tool (one either on Comer's jmfs image or on most bootable CD distros) to test a new hard drive to confirm it's healthy? Long/overnight is fine....
If it's a WD drive:

Western Digital's Lifeguard (Write Zeroes)

Last edited by richsadams : 01-21-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #504
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
IIRC a couple of other folks have done exactly that. As long as you're continuing to expand there shouldn't be a problem. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or let me know if it doesn't work.

If it's a WD drive:

Western Digital's Lifeguard (Write Zeroes)
No Linux Version of Lifeguard, that I see. I was hoping for something that just came with Comer's jmfs boot CD.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #505
richsadams

Quote:
No Linux Version of Lifeguard, that I see. I was hoping for something that just came with Comer's jmfs boot CD.
Ah, for Linux, sorry. Outside of the SMART program, I'm not sure.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #506
bhcv

Thumbs up JMFS Works Great

Thanks for the great program and super instruction. My tivo Premieres now have
317 HD hours.
bhcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #507
Kingsam88

so i didn't read this entire thread but i got the gist of it and i dont exactly want to break open my tivo i want to use that esata port on the back with a mimicked image of one of those my book av things i dont know if its it possible or anything just thought i would ask
Kingsam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #508
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsam88 View Post
so i didn't read this entire thread but i got the gist of it and i dont exactly want to break open my tivo i want to use that esata port on the back with a mimicked image of one of those my book av things i dont know if its it possible or anything just thought i would ask
Please, buy a capital letter or two, and maybe a comma. Seriously: Your note is nearly unreadable, if you expect help, make yourself clear enough that people don't just click "ignore" and move on.

Short answer: DON'T use eSata. Crack it open and upgrade, you'll be happy with how easy it is, and happier still when it doesn't die on you on a month/year losing all your recordings.

ETA: Oh, and welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around. (but only if I can understand your next post.)
Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #509
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsam88 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what you mean by "mimicked image" but you can connect the approved Western Digitial My Book AV DVR Expander for additional storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...730&sr.com=8-1

More here:

https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessor...king.do#A00097

If you have anything else in mind it would mean opening your TiVo and pulling the hard drive.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I see ThreeSoFar beat me to the answer...and agreed, upgrading the internal drive is the way to go...one less fail point.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #510
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
I see ThreeSoFar beat me to the answer...and agreed, upgrading the internal drive is the way to go...one less fail point.
Not often that happens, Rich. I've been on a TiVo tear this weekend tho.

Got my three Premiere's yesterday....upgraded the first to 2TB before even booting it up. Just now tried the soft boot and it WORKED (I had thought I may need wdidle3, but it worked fine). The 2TB WD20EARS was dated Sep2010.

My TivoHD upgrade (from 1TB to 2TB, copying all shows with jmfs) is 60% done. Been going probably four or five hours. I'm still using the PCI SATA card inside the Pentium IV (or is it PIII?) for upgrades. The USB SATA docking port that's supposed to work with the Mac Mini still hasn't arrived.

Last edited by ThreeSoFar : 01-21-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: No wdidle3 needed on SEP2010 WD20EARS