TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #361
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsidlosky View Post
I can't tell if this is designed for the Tivo Premier will allow a base Tivo HD 160gb model to upgrade to ~280-319 hours with a 2TB WD20EDVS drive?

It appears as though this breaks through the 1.2tb limit on TivoHD, can someone confirm?
There exist another image (forgot the name but you can search for it) that will work on the TiVo-HD and original Series 3 (using WinMFS) and bring you up to 2Tb, I don't think this Premier expansion software will do that job.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #362
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
There exist another image (forgot the name but you can search for it) that will work on the TiVo-HD and original Series 3 (using WinMFS) and bring you up to 2Tb, I don't think this Premier expansion software will do that job.
Actually this jfms will indeed work with TiVo HD's, but not the original Series3 (due to a partition issue). The other (Broflovski) is a separate program, nothing to do with winMFS...and a bit more complicated.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #363
teiland
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsidlosky View Post
I can't tell if this is designed for the Tivo Premier will allow a base Tivo HD 160gb model to upgrade to ~280-319 hours with a 2TB WD20EDVS drive?

It appears as though this breaks through the 1.2tb limit on TivoHD, can someone confirm?
Yes, I just did this upgrade on my TiVo HD and it works as advertised using the original 160GB drive to a WD20EVDS. But, I had to put the original 160G drive in and allow it to update to 11.0j. Copy and expand with JMFS, then supersize with WinMFS. It would not work prior to updating the 160GB drive to 11.0j, I think it was on 9 something.

I have tried to do the same thing with my expanded 1TB drive. When I install back in the TiVo it complains that the external drive is missing (I don't have an external drive). If I let it continue, it repairs the drive for a couple of hours then reboots and I'm back to 1TB capacity.

-TE
teiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #364
jsidlosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by teiland View Post
Yes, I just did this upgrade on my TiVo HD and it works as advertised using the original 160GB drive to a WD20EVDS. But, I had to put the original 160G drive in and allow it to update to 11.0j. Copy and expand with JMFS, then supersize with WinMFS. It would not work prior to updating the 160GB drive to 11.0j, I think it was on 9 something.

I have tried to do the same thing with my expanded 1TB drive. When I install back in the TiVo it complains that the external drive is missing (I don't have an external drive). If I let it continue, it repairs the drive for a couple of hours then reboots and I'm back to 1TB capacity.

-TE
Thanks for that feedback. I did this copy/expand twice now and it just gets stuck on the first Welcome to Tivo screen. The upgrading to 11.0j is what I didn't do.

I'm upgrading now and will try again.

Question: Did you have to run the WIDDLE15 program on the drive to shut off intellisense parking? I don't have a way to write a floppy disk sadly, and couldn't get the ISO to boot with it on there.
jsidlosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #365
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Actually this jfms will indeed work with TiVo HD's, but not the original Series3 (due to a partition issue). The other (Broflovski) is a separate program, nothing to do with winMFS...and a bit more complicated.
The Broflovski image is loaded on the Hard Drive using WinMFS (that's the way i did it anyways), but once in the TiVo you can't use WinMFS anymore for backups etc. on that Broflovski hard drive image.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #366
richsadams

Quote:
The Broflovski image is loaded on the Hard Drive using WinMFS (that's the way i did it anyways), but once in the TiVo you can't use WinMFS anymore for backups etc. on that Broflovski hard drive image.
Ah, got it...I gave it a go with MFSTools. Good to know!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #367
Tivoitis

For the Tivo HD upgraders, I finally filled up my first upgrade (via JMFS onto a WD20EURS drive). Using TivoPlayList, I was able to see that my storage maxed out at 1670 GB. After I used WinMFS to turn on Supersize, the drive maxed out at 1848 GB.
Tivoitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #368
hpflyby

Help!!!

Well I screwed up...
I booted to windows, started up Disk Manager and Let windows write a new MBR to my Stock Tivo drive. (Tivo Premier)

Is there anyway to get the Tivo Bootpage back?
hpflyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #369
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpflyby View Post
Well I screwed up...
I booted to windows, started up Disk Manager and Let windows write a new MBR to my Stock Tivo drive. (Tivo Premier)

Is there anyway to get the Tivo Bootpage back?
No you have to find another Premier drive and copy it back to your drive than do a C&D all and you will be back with a working TP.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #370
tinkererguy

Never tried this feature of WinMFS myself, but perhaps Fix Boot Page will save you, see info here:
http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/
Sony KDL-55HX800 55" TV
Sony STR-DA5600ES Amp
Sony RM-VL900 remote
DIRECTV '96-'06, Cox HD '06-present
tinkererguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #371
hpflyby

[quote=tinkererguy;8278208]Never tried this feature of WinMFS myself, but perhaps Fix Boot Page will save you, see info here:
QUOTE]

Tried this already... did not work.
Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #372
hpflyby

Quote:
No you have to find another Premier drive and copy it back to your drive than do a C&D all and you will be back with a working TP.
What is C&D?
Thanks!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #373
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpflyby View Post
What is C&D?
Thanks!
Clear & Delete.
A TiVo menu command to return the TiVo to a basically factory default state. (All recordings, settings, wishlists, season passes, thumbs data, etc, etc get wiped)

Note: It takes a while to run.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:15 AM   #374
slimjim867

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Yikes! That's a terrible price. (Or is that just an example and the store nearby is giving them away? ) You can generally find 2TB drives for ~ $100 to ~$125 on sale now.

Yes, in a sense it does matter what drive you use. Unless you just can't wait I'd order one of the WD or Hitatchi drives discussed earlier. AFAIK no one is using Seagate drives for these upgrades to date, so no known data exists. It's generally better to stick with what's been proven successful. YMMV of course.

I'm sure others will chime in but you can see this post on the cousin to this thread for more thoughts…

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post8146832
FWIW....
I've had 3 Hitachi Disks this year. 2 out of the 3 needed replacement. One of the replacements is intermittently noisy and so has just been replaced. No cross shipping so i have had to deal with several credit card charges to monitior.
slimjim867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #375
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim867 View Post
FWIW....
I've had 3 Hitachi Disks this year. 2 out of the 3 needed replacement. One of the replacements is intermittently noisy and so has just been replaced. No cross shipping so i have had to deal with several credit card charges to monitior.
What a pain! Can you post the full model number? TIA.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #376
ovitevol

Thanks (a LOT) Comer and Richsadams for the software and tips!

I have successfully upgraded my Tivo Premiere using WD20EARS drive (manufacture date: 10/13/2010; performed hddscan to adjust AAM to 128) I tested the upgraded drive by doing soft reboot and did not hang. Hence, I did not perform the wdidle3.exe

I would suggest to move richsadams's post (#332) to the top of this thread. I have gathered all the pieces of information I need in this forum before #332 posted. That would have saved a lot of time.

Now my Tivo has 317HD hours for recording!

Thanks again Comer and Richsadams
ovitevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #377
cds618

Tivo is sending a replacement can I just swap drives?

Hello,

I upgraded my Tivo about 2 weeks ago. About a week later it appears the ethernet port has stopped working. I called Tivo & they are sending a new Tivo. I was wondering if I can just take the 2TB drive out of this Tivo & put it into the new one or do I have to set up the new one & then copy that drive to the 2TB drive.

Thanks for the help.
cds618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #378
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds618 View Post
Hello,

I upgraded my Tivo about 2 weeks ago. About a week later it appears the ethernet port has stopped working. I called Tivo & they are sending a new Tivo. I was wondering if I can just take the 2TB drive out of this Tivo & put it into the new one or do I have to set up the new one & then copy that drive to the 2TB drive.

Thanks for the help.
You can move the drive between 2 TiVos as long as their both the same model. But, before the drive will work you'll need to run a clear & delete on it in the new TiVo. (That'll rebind it to the new TiVo).

There's no way to transfer it and retain your recordings and season passes (Well any non-copyprotected recordings could be transfered to a computer before moving the drive).
But you shouldn't have to redo the copy and expand process.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #379
stanlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds618 View Post
Hello,

Thanks for the help.
I thought Tivo will void your warranty if you upgraded your hard drive. Since you already used it for 2 weeks, I'm sure Tivo knew you upgraded through the daily TV guide updates. Hmmm??? You sure got lucky.
stanlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #380
stanlam

I just got a brand new WD10EADS western Digital 1 TB hard green hard drive through the warranty program. The original one I bought, with the same model #, busted in 1 year. This one has a manufactuer date of 10 November 2010. Does anybody know if I still need to run Widdle on this one? I don't see anybody talking about this drive anymore.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #381
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlam View Post
I thought Tivo will void your warranty if you upgraded your hard drive. Since you already used it for 2 weeks, I'm sure Tivo knew you upgraded through the daily TV guide updates. Hmmm??? You sure got lucky.
Although TiVo is aware of any upgrade if they take the time to review their logs as long as the original hard drive is installed (or reinstalled), the unit is otherwise unchanged and no mention of the upgrade is made to the CSR TiVo will honor their warranty.

Quote:
I just got a brand new WD10EADS western Digital 1 TB hard green hard drive through the warranty program. The original one I bought, with the same model #, busted in 1 year. This one has a manufactuer date of 10 November 2010. Does anybody know if I still need to run Widdle on this one? I don't see anybody talking about this drive anymore.
The only way to find out would be to perform the upgrade and see if TiVo will boot up. Then if it boots up properly try a menu restart. If it restarts you're good to go. If either fail you'll need to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the Intellipark feature's timeout.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #382
stanlam

So I received my WD20EVDS hard drive the other day. I wanted to run some test to make sure it's not defective. Here's the interesting part, I did a slow and full format in windows. It took about 1 day for format the hard drive. I didn't have any problems. Then I decided to run the Western digital program called LifeGuard Diagnostic. This program takes 2 days to run and it failed both times saying to many bad sectors. Now I'm waiting for a new hard drive from the warranty. Interesting huh?

Here's my question that is not related. After I get my replacement 2TB hard drive, what should I do with my original Premiere? Can I back up the original premiere hard drive onto a DVD so I can use the original Premiere hard drive for other purposes. My only concern is that in the future I might need to image another 2TB since they don't seem to be that reliable.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #383
richsadams

Quote:
So I received my WD20EVDS hard drive the other day. I wanted to run some test to make sure it's not defective. Here's the interesting part, I did a slow and full format in windows. It took about 1 day for format the hard drive. I didn't have any problems. Then I decided to run the Western digital program called LifeGuard Diagnostic. This program takes 2 days to run and it failed both times saying to many bad sectors. Now I'm waiting for a new hard drive from the warranty. Interesting huh?

Here's my question that is not related. After I get my replacement 2TB hard drive, what should I do with my original Premiere? Can I back up the original premiere hard drive onto a DVD so I can use the original Premiere hard drive for other purposes. My only concern is that in the future I might need to image another 2TB since they don't seem to be that reliable.
Although I'd avoid running any Windows programs on your new drive at all, running Western Digital's Lifeguard was an excellent move. It probably saved you a lot of grief down the road. The larger the hard drive the more opportunity there is for problem sectors.

With older TiVo drives being so small the temptation to repurpose them was just as small so putting it on the shelf as a solid backup was a no brainer. These days it's hard to put a 1TB drive away for safe keeping. However that's exactly what I would do, at least for now. Unfortunately there's no option to create a truncated backup of the OS as there is with other TiVo drives using winMFS or MFSTools...the entire drive would need to be duplicated...and then you're back in the same boat. So I would strongly recommend keeping the original TiVo hard drive on the shelf. If your TiVo fails for some reason (other than HDD failure) you can easily slip it back in for warranty service. If a new drive fails you can also slip it in and be back up and running almost instantly. Plus you can continue to use the original drive to image new drives if/when needed.

It's a big ask I know, but keeping the original intact is your best, safest bet at least until someone comes up with a way to image just the OS for safe keeping.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #384
WesleyMac

Where do I find the CD download?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Supersize has been released. You will get 317 HD hours from 2TB drive. Enjoy!
Is the link on Comer's post #212 the link to the bootable CD image? When I view the post, it says that links in signatures are not visible until after I have posted 10 times - this is my second, and I hope I can make 10 without being a nuisance.
WesleyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #385
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyMac View Post
Is the link on Comer's post #212 the link to the bootable CD image? When I view the post, it says that links in signatures are not visible until after I have posted 10 times - this is my second, and I hope I can make 10 without being a nuisance.
Welcome to the forum (well, sort of...I see you posted once a few years ago). Here you go...

http://www.mediafire.com/?pfc9n8o30tc64

Happy upgrading!

BTW, I think they cut the posting count for seeing/posting links to five now.

Last edited by richsadams : 12-19-2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #386
WesleyMac

Thanks, Rich.
P.S. re number of posts needed to view images and links, the text that appears in lieu of the links states that 10 are needed and that I have only two (three with this!). Anyway, many thanks.
WesleyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #387
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyMac View Post
Thanks, Rich.
P.S. re number of posts needed to view images and links, the text that appears in lieu of the links states that 10 are needed and that I have only two (three with this!). Anyway, many thanks.
I know the text message says 10 but IIRC one of the moderators said they changed the actual post count required to 5...but left the text at 10 to scare off spammers. Who knows.

Anyway, just noticed that you're right next door...so happy upgrading and try and stay dry!
Old 12-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #388
netholio

Very very happy with this "procedure". I had a spare WD10EVDS laying about because of a previous TS session on a tivo HD.... it's now in my Premiere and working great!
1 Series-2 (~300 SD hours)
TiVo Desktop plus - truly awesome!
netholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #389
RickNY

Thanks Comer! Just sent some PayPal thanks your way.. Great work.
RickNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #390
pbolya

Is it possible to upgrade to 3TB?

I am looking to upgrade my Premier with Comer's method (thanks Comer). I have a 1TB Premiere XL and looking to buy a new Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRSDTL 3TB drive to upgrade the Premier to 3TB.

Has enyone successfully upgraded to 3TB before using this method ?

Are there any issues with WD30EZRSDTL to use in the TiVo (e.g. not recommended for always on A/V etc...) ? Are there any other 3TB disks I should consider instead?

Are there any 2.2TB barrier issues?

Any information would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks,
Peter
pbolya is offline   Reply With Quote